One of the most effective ways to remove unwanted hair is waxing, which is carried out in the salon or at home. Its mechanism is simple, effective for all types of hair, but when choosing the composition and method of removing vegetation in different areas, there are some peculiarities.
There are several ways to perform the procedure at home, so before you begin, it is important to know the precautions, the rules for conducting and subsequent care.
- Benefits of Waxing
- The disadvantages of waxing
- Precautionary measures
- Waxing Methods
- Varieties of wax for the procedure
- How to choose which wax is better
- How to choose a wax heater
- The composition of the set for depilation
- Depilation of various zones
- How to wax a bikini zone
- Hand procedure
- On foot
- Armpit depilation
- On the face
- Wax Removal Rules
- How to care for your skin after the procedure
- The effectiveness of using a cream to slow hair growth
- How often do waxing
- Video about waxing at home
Benefits of Waxing
The advantages of the procedure include:
- Long lasting effect. Unlike shaving with a machine, when only the visible part of the hair is cut, the effect of waxing lasts from 3 to 8 weeks, depending on the type of hair and the characteristics of the body.
- The skin is not injured. In the process of hair removal there is no risk of scratches, cuts through which infections can penetrate, there are no scars left after the procedure.
- Lack of stiff bristles. The hairs growing after a while become softer, lighter, invisible, without causing itching and discomfort.
- Soft peeling. Shaving can dry the skin, cause irritation, a feeling of tightness, while wax can delicately remove the keratinized layer, softening the skin, making it smoother.
- Regular depilation can slow down growth by reducing the activity of hair follicles. Hair does not begin to grow so thickly, and in some areas the vegetation may completely disappear with time.
- Ease of carrying out. The procedure can be performed at home, this does not require complicated special equipment, and the price of the method is quite acceptable.
- Redness that may occur after the procedure will pass after 2-3 hours.
The disadvantages of waxing
Despite the many advantages, waxing at home has several disadvantages:
- Pain during removal. This disadvantage is individual, it all depends on the pain threshold, the degree of sensitivity.
- The problem of ingrownness is a phenomenon that 30% of women face. But for many, this is not a serious drawback, since ingrowth occurs in a single amount, and you can remove them with tweezers.
- For greater efficiency in each subsequent session, it is necessary that the hairs grow back at least 5/32 – 6/32 inch. The shorter composition “will not grab”, which causes discomfort to some women.
- With individual intolerance, wax as a product of beekeeping, can cause an allergic reaction, irritation, which persists for a long period.
The decision to perform depilation is made after an objective assessment of all the advantages and the degree of severity of possible shortcomings on an individual basis.
There are a number of precautions:
- Before applying wax to large areas, a skin reaction test should be done. The composition is applied to the wrist or to the inside of the elbow. The reaction must be observed during the day. If you have not developed an allergy, you can safely proceed to the treatment of other areas.
- Waxing is performed with caution in areas with increased sensitivity. With individual intolerance and a low pain threshold, it is worth choosing a more gentle method of vegetation removal.
- Waxing can be performed on tanned skin, but only after 2 days after active sun exposure. From the point of view of aesthetics, it is important to take into account the fact that there is a risk of unaesthetic pigmentation.
Also, a few days before the onset of menstruation and during the period of menstruation, in the presence of colds, it is worth delaying the procedure.
When choosing a method of waxing, regardless of whether it is carried out in a salon or at home, it is important to familiarize yourself with the list of contraindications. They are divided into absolute and relative. If at first you should categorically refuse the procedure, then with the rest, waxing is possible, but not desirable.
The absolute contraindications are as follows:
- Diabetes mellitus is at the stage of decompensation, since the pathological condition is characterized by delayed regeneration.
- Phlebeurysm. There is a risk of bleeding, damage altered by vascular pathology.
- Taking certain medications. The use of external preparations, topical retinoids, abrasive peels, acids, facial depilation is contraindicated.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system, coronary heart disease.
- Oncological diseases, treatment period, the presence of neoplasms, papillomas, birthmarks, warts, fresh scars.
- Autoimmune and immunodeficiency diseases.
- Diseases of the circulatory system, signs of poor blood coagulation.
- Skin diseases, purulent lesions, herpetic infection in the acute stage.
- Skin after transplantation, with fresh tattoos, piercings.
- Intolerance to the components of the composition.
- Pregnancy. The decision depends on the condition of the woman, but pregnant women are not recommended to do the procedure.
- After the “beauty injections” (collagen, botox), it is necessary to wait for 3-7 days with depilation.
- After dermabrasion, if at least 3 months have not passed since its inception.
- Colds. Waxing can be carried out if it does not cause a deterioration in well-being.
- Ovulation period. In the middle of the cycle, there may be an increased sensitivity, which can cause severe pain.
It is important to know about all contraindications before deciding on a waxing. This will help protect yourself from unwanted consequences.
The procedure can be done in several ways, using:
- Hot wax. The bottom line is to heat the mass in a thermostat before application. When the mass hardens, the vegetation is removed by a sharp movement directed against growth. The method requires caution, since overheating of the composition can lead to a painful burn. The advantages are the minimal interaction of the composition with the surface of the skin, it is not necessary to purchase additional strips. High temperatures warm the skin, expanding the pores, which makes it easier to remove hair.
- Warm wax . The most gentle way of waxing, eliminating the risk of burns. The composition is first heated in wax, then with the help of roller cartridges or a spatula is applied in a uniform layer. Strips are superimposed on top, which are then torn off against growth parallel to the skin.
Cold wax. Known for
its simplicity and speed of execution, in which the material is previously applied to the tape. It is enough to warm them a little in the palms to body temperature, stick them on the depilated areas along the growth, and then sharply tear in the opposite direction, as close to the skin as possible.
- Film. The use technology is similar to the hot waxing technique. The method is safe, since the melting point is lower, which eliminates the possibility of a burn. Wax melts in the unit to operating temperature. Then it is necessary to apply the composition with an even layer of a spatula. The zone is treated with strong pressure for better adhesion of the hairs to the composition. The mass is gradually seized with a film, which breaks off with a sharp jerk to itself.
Varieties of wax for the procedure
There are several varieties of wax available for the procedure:
- in cartridges;
- in banks;
- granular or film;
- in disks;
- in tablets or balls;
- wax strips.
Each type of material has its own advantages, degree of efficiency, economy of consumption and safety of use at home.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
How to choose which wax is better
When choosing material for home waxing, it is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each of the varieties. Cartridges are an economical and convenient type, the composition is applied using a roller, but for heating it is necessary to purchase a vertical wax. The material in banks is used in the cabin , as large volumes allow you to work simultaneously with several customers.
It is more convenient to use wax strips at home, since the mass does not require preliminary preparation, but is already applied to the tapes and ready for use. But the method has a slight drawback – to process one section of the strip, it is applied several times, and short hairs may not be removed at all.
Additionally, you can “clean” the area with tweezers, removing the remaining hairs. A large number of advantages has a modern type of material – granules. It is safe, effective, eliminates burns, has an economical expense. The composition includes rubber, so the mass retains elasticity for a long time, easily breaks off the film, without injuring the skin.
When choosing the type of wax, it is important to understand for which zones it will be used. In order to avoid injuries of sensitive areas, it is better to use hot and film wax, they more effectively remove hairs, less contact with the skin, without causing irritation.
How to choose a wax heater
To melt the wax and maintain the desired temperature during the procedure, special devices are used.
There are two main types of waxes:
- Cassette. Models are used to melt wax in cartridges. It can be of two types – with and without a base. The unit without a base is often used at home, heats the mass in 30-40 minutes. The device with the base has a stand on which the cartridge is installed, the heating time is 20 minutes.
- Can. Voskoplav is equipped with a special connector in which banks are installed. The more heating elements, the greater the amount of wax the device heats at a time. Mostly these models are used in salons, since they can heat from 0,8 – 1,7 pint of mass.
There are also modern hybrid models of wax alloys with a combined type of heating.
When choosing, it is worth paying attention to the following characteristics:
- the presence of a temperature controller;
- the volume of the container for the can assembly and the number of niches for the cassette;
- the presence of a thermostat;
- Energy consumption;
- convenience when applying wax;
- cassette mounting density and construction material;
- additional equipment (control window, indicator).
Depending on the model and additional features, the cost of the wax alloy varies.
The composition of the set for depilation
In order for wax depilation at home to be carried out with the maximum effect, there are special kits on sale.
- compact unit for heating the mass;
- 1 or 2 wax cartridges;
- strips for depilation;
- lotion before depilation for cleansing and degreasing;
- skin care oil after the procedure.
The simplest universal set can include only strips with the composition and oil-soaked napkins in the sachet.
Depilation of various zones
How to wax a bikini zone
The procedure of the bikini area can be classic or deep (Brazilian). It is better to carry it out using warm or hot wax material. By the time of depilation, the size of the hairs should be at least 6/32 inch, so for 4-5 days it is necessary to shave the pubic hair and between the buttocks.
- Just before depilation, you need to take a shower or clean the desired area using soap. On steamed skin, hairs are removed more easily. It is recommended to dry the skin, as well as to disinfect hands and depilated areas.
- Prepare all the tools, heat the wax in the apparatus to a temperature of no more than 40 degrees.
- With a spatula, scoop up a small portion of the heated composition, apply to the zone with an even layer along the hair growth. If a cartridge is used, wax is applied by roller. A strip is superimposed on the composition.
- If the vegetation on the site is not completely removed, you can repeat the procedure.
The entire bikini area is treated similarly, as well as above the pubis along the swimsuit line.
To perform hand waxing on your own, the cold method will do. To do this, you can use the universal kit, including wax strips and oil.
The depilation algorithm is simple:
- The strips must be preheated in the hands to body temperature.
- On a clean and dry surface of the hands stick a strip along the hairline.
- A sharp movement after 2-3 seconds to tear the strip. If necessary, treat the area again.
A similar algorithm for the hot and warm method. In this case, the composition is preheated in wax. After the procedure, remove the remaining wax with a cloth soaked in oil.
Legs of waxing:
- The skin is cleaned, treated with a disinfectant to prevent irritation.
- The skin needs to be dried if hot wax is used, it is additionally treated with talc.
- Heated wax is applied on the hair growth with a roller or spatula in an even layer, a strip is applied on top and several times are pressed along it.
- After a few seconds, the strip breaks with a sharp movement.
- To make the skin smooth, there are no hairs left, the area can be reprocessed.
When processing the area above the knee, there may be painful sensations, so the skin needs to be pulled with a free hand.
For wax depilation of armpits at home, it is recommended to use the hot method, since the direction of hair growth in this zone is different.
Stages of the procedure:
- Heat the mass in the apparatus to a temperature of 60 degrees. This mark guarantees the most effective result.
- To avoid ingrown hairs, peeling is carried out, the skin is cleaned, dried and sprinkled with talcum powder.
- The preheated mass along the hair growth is applied with a spatula or roller, a strip is applied on top.
- After a few seconds, the strip breaks off with a sharp movement, but not up, but towards itself.
- If necessary, the procedure is repeated. After processing, the wax is removed using a cloth soaked in oil.
Since the skin in this area has the ability to stretch, in the process it needs to be pulled a little to yourself to reduce pain.
On the face
To process the facial zone (antennae, chin, eyebrows), both warm wax and ready-made strips are suitable. Too hot a composition if used improperly can cause burns on delicate skin.
- The necessary area is cleared of cosmetics. To expand the pores, you can make a warm bath and scrub the skin and wipe it with a degreasing lotion.
- The composition is heated to 40-50 degrees, the skin is applied with a spatula along the growth of hairs.
- Narrow strips are superimposed on top. When the mass has cooled, after a few seconds, make a sharp separation against hair growth.
A similar depilation algorithm when using cold wax with ready-made strips. If eyebrow correction is performed, it is necessary to take into account that the hairs grow in different directions, therefore, laying stripes, you need to take into account the direction of growth.
Wax Removal Rules
If waxing is performed at home, it is important to know the rules for removing the composition from the surface of the skin at the end of a cosmetic session. Many try to rinse off sticky residues with water, but this method is ineffective because the composition contains resins. After thorough washing with water, the skin may become inflamed and redden.
To quickly and easily remove wax residues, it is recommended to use:
- cream with a high percentage of fat content;
- wipes in a set for waxing;
- oil (vegetable or olive);
- concentrated soapy water;
- special means intended for this.
It is allowed to use a hot hair dryer, but with caution, as if used improperly, you can get a burn. To do this, the tissue flap needs to be heated with a hairdryer, then put on the area with the remains of the sticky mass. After which it will easily be removed.
How to care for your skin after the procedure
Despite the fact that waxing at home is the safest procedure, after it is carried out, the skin requires careful care.
Recommendations after waxing:
- You should not take a shower and wet the water with waxed areas for 6 hours.
- Do not visit the sauna, bath for the first 2 days.
- Exclude intense physical activity during the first 12 hours after waxing.
- It is not advisable to expose the skin to direct sunlight, and it is also better to refuse massage and spa treatments for 2 days.
- Do not wear too tight synthetic clothes. Such contact may cause irritation, an allergic reaction.
- If irritation occurs, you can lubricate the areas with Bepanten ointment or aloe juice.
- The use of a deodorant is not recommended during the first day after the armpit zone procedure.
- Immediately after waxing, it is recommended to apply special compounds that slow down hair growth.
Periodically, starting from 5 days after the first procedure, it is recommended to carry out skin scrubbing , soft peeling or gommage in order to prepare the skin for a new procedure and to eliminate the problem of hair ingrowth.
The effectiveness of using a cream to slow hair growth
To prolong the effect, hair growth inhibitors are applied to the depilation zones: special creams or folk formulations. The effectiveness of the product depends on its composition, as well as on the regularity of application. It should include such plant substances as extract from the green peel of a walnut, witch hazel, pumpkin seed, turmeric, soy milk, hyacinth root and others.
Sometimes the cream can cause irritati
on, to avoid this, the composition should include grape seed oil, glycerin or lecithin.
The more natural the composition, the less likely it is that the cream will cause irritation or allergies. High-quality cream will significantly increase the time between sessions, leaving the skin smooth and well-groomed.
From folk remedies, lemon and white grapes are effective. After the procedure, all areas except the bikini zone are processed with grape or lemon juice. Another popular recipe is to mix in parts of pea flour and turmeric, apply mass to the skin, and after drying remove it.
How often do waxing
Waxing is an effective method of combating unwanted vegetation, which can be successfully carried out at home. The growth rate depends on several factors, in each zone they grow at different speeds. After the first procedure, the skin surface remains smooth for 2-3 weeks.
The frequency of sessions for the bikini zone, upper and lower extremities is 4-6 weeks, for the facial zone – 2-3 weeks, but much depends on individual characteristics.
Video about waxing at home
Waxing: how to do it at home:
Do waxing at home: