The combined drug Levomekol was invented at the end of the 70s in Kharkov, after which it was successfully launched in USA. Ointment quickly became popular among domestic consumers due to a wide range of antibacterial properties.
Levomekol for acne on the face began to be used back in the 80s, and so far the ointment remains one of the most effective means in the fight against acne.
- Description of the drug
- Scope of use, indications
- Drug shortcomings
- How to use Levomekol for acne on the face
- Features of use during pregnancy and lactation
- Use of the drug in childhood
- Side effects
- Special requirements
- Where to buy ointment Levomekol
- Terms and conditions of storage of Levomikol
- Analogs of Levomikol
- Reviews dermatologists about Levomekol
- Customer reviews
- Acne Levomekol Video
Description of the drug
The drug Levomekol is an ointment of local topical application of white color and has a characteristic astringent smell.
Video about the description of the drug:
The composition of the ointment includes:
- Dioxomethyltetrahydropyrimidine (4 g per 100 g of the drug). It has an anabolic effect; hematopoietic effect; anti-inflammatory effect.
- Chloramfentcol, antibiotic (0.75 g. In 100 g. Ointment). Has a bacteriostatic effect; antibacterial effect.
- Polyethylene oxides. They are used to evenly distribute the components of the ointment.
- Methyluracil. It has an immunostimulating effect.
The effectiveness of Levomekol in the fight against acne is determined by the ability of the drug to quickly draw pus from the wounds to the surface of the skin and intensively act on the purulent formations, reducing swelling.
Scope of use, indications
Levomekol is indicated for use in the treatment of purulent wounds in the first stages, for the healing of damaged layers of the epidermis, has a strong antibacterial effect even in case of infection with mixed microflora.
In addition, the ointment is effective in treating:
- acne and ulcers;
- bacterial vaginosis;
- hemorrhoidal manifestations;
- trophic ulcers;
- some diseases of the cervix;
Levomekol from acne on the face has the ability to quickly reduce and suppress the growth of microbes in the pores of the epidermis, and also has combined properties, such as pus extraction and skin regeneration.
The ointment is ineffective in the treatment of infections such as water acne and psoriasis, and in some cases can even cause complications of diseases. In addition, Levomekol does not help with fungal infections of the skin.
How to use Levomekol for acne on the face
Levomekol for acne on the face must be used correctly, depending on the type of inflammatory formation:
- Levomekol is very effective in the treatment of boils. The use of the drug accelerates the maturation of the purulent focus and prevents the infection from spreading. It is necessary to apply a bandage soaked with ointment on the ulcer and change it 2-3 times a day. You can also inject Levomekol with a syringe if an open purulent cavity is present in the boil. Treatment usually takes 3 to 5 days. During this period, a burning sensation on the skin is possible, which is a natural reaction to treatment.
- To cure a subcutaneous pimple, you need to usd a thick layer of ointment several times a day into the formation. The tool relieves inflammation and stops the pathological process. Within 3 days, the pimple will disappear. It is strictly forbidden to squeeze a pimple or cauterize with alcohol. It is important not to combine Levomikol with other ointments, this can weaken the effectiveness of the active substances.
- It is recommended to treat acne with compresses. It is important that the dressing is sterile and the skin thoroughly cleaned before applying the compress. A gauze compress can be fixed with a medical plaster and do the procedure at night. If the rash has spread all over the face and the dressing is problematic, you can apply a thick layer of ointment to the skin and hold it on your face for an hour every 40 minutes.
Features of use during pregnancy and lactation
Opinions about the dangers of treatment with Levomekol during pregnancy are divided. French researchers believe that the drug is dangerous due to the content of methyluracil in it, which stimulates the process of cell reproduction. Domestic doctors refute this point of view, arguing that the active substance does not have a negative effect.
Levomekol from acne on the face during the first trimester is not recommended, because inflammation on the epidermis during this period is caused by hormonal changes, and the ointment is unlikely to help cope with them.
However, Levomekol is often prescribed during breastfeeding, if cracks have formed on the nipples, feeding is stopped for the treatment period. During pregnancy, the drug is used for hemorrhoids, and the ointment is often used for the speedy healing of sutures after cesarean section and for the treatment of perineal tears during childbirth.
Use of the drug in childhood
For acne on the face Levomekol is recommended for children after 3 years. It does not penetrate the bloodstream and cannot affect the child’s body. However, in difficult cases, doctors prescribe ointment and infants.
When treating children under one year old, it is necessary to carefully monitor that the child does not touch the ointment, swallows it, and does not bring it into the eyes.
Many infants have a thorough sense of smell and can minimize the effects of smell by applying a remedy to gauze. It is important that in the treatment of childhood acne Levomekol should be applied in a very thin layer and not left on the skin for longer than 15 minutes.
Levomekol has a number of contraindications that apply to all age categories.
It can not be used with:
- Fungal diseases.
- Chloramphenctol intolerance.
Despite the fact that Levomekol refers to low-reactivity drugs, its use often causes complications, such as:
- Burning in the eyes (reaction to smell).
- Itching on ointment-treated areas of the skin.
- Redness of the epidermis.
- Anginoneurotic edema.
The drug is not recommended for longer than one and a half months. As a result of prolonged use, the drug can cause osmotic shock. Especially often, a similar reaction is observed in patients under the age of 16 and after 45 years. The hypersensitivity reaction is often manifested precisely as a result of the use of Levomekol on the face.
The drug is recommended for use with a wax-containing dressing Vasascorpan. The compatibility of the components of both drugs optimizes the disinfection and healing process, preventing the dressing from sticking to the skin.
Where to buy ointment Levomekol
Levomikol ointment can be bought in almost every American pharmacy, in online stores and at “American” pharmacy bazaars abroad. In USA, the cost of the drug may vary slightly depending on the: the average price is 50 g. ointment in New York is $ 1,56. As a rule, Levomekol is packaged in 100 gram cans or tubes of 40 grams.
Terms and conditions of storage of Levomikol
Levomekol should be stored at a temperature of 15-19 degrees. The shelf life indicated on the package is 3.5 years, but doctors recommend that you do not store an open ointment for longer than 6 months. In the summer months, it is optimal to put the drug in the side compartment of the refrigerator. Be sure to check whether the lid is tightly closed, the ointment should not come in contact with air.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
Analogs of Levomikol
Levomikol has a number of analogues:
Solcoseryl (Switzerland). The drug is sold in the form of a gel and costs from $ 1 – $ 2. It includes deproteinized calf blood dialysate, in its properties and indications it is identical to Levomikol. In addition to allergies, the drug has no contraindications.
Actovegin (Norway). Antibacterial and regenerative agent, created on the basis of cattle blood hemoderivative. The cost of the gel varies around $ 2,72 for 20g. The analogue perfectly heals the skin, copes with subcutaneous acne and boils, of the contraindications only individual intolerance to the components.
- Alantan Plus (Poland). The gel is packaged in tubes of 35 g and in USA is sold at a price of $ 1,02 – $ 1,22. Similarly, Levomikol disinfects, speeds up the process of pus exit from wounds and heals. The active substance is D panthenol. However, in the fight against acne on the face Levomikol recognized more effective.
Reviews dermatologists about Levomekol
American dermatologists agree that the drug has a clear advantage over analogues due to its wide spectrum of action and rapid effectiveness. In the treatment of acne and boils, Levomekol acts directly on the focus of the pathological process.
German experts support American colleagues in their opinion on the effectiveness of Levomekol, however, they claim that in the treatment of acne and ulcers, preparations based on D-panthenol, which also moisturizes the skin, proved to be more effective.
In addition, unlike our doctors who allow children to be treated with Levomekol, their foreign colleagues do not recommend this, based on the incompletely studied properties of chlomafentcol.
Levomekol is one of the most popular acne remedies among American consumers. The network is dominated by positive opinions about the effectiveness of the drug, however, there are negative reviews in which patients complain about the complete absence of a treatment result.
The percentage of positive and negative opinions is 70 to 30. Among the complaints after the use of Levomikol there is severe irritation of the facial skin, a feeling of tightening and allergic reactions.
Judging by the reviews, the most effective ointment was for patients aged 18 to 30 years. Levomekol is quite popular among adolescents, but, unfortunately, some of them use the drug uncontrollably for a long time, which leads to serious damage to the epidermis.
Levomekol has been used against acne on the face for decades. All this time, the formula of the drug remained unchanged, although manufacturers do not deny the possibility of innovations to improve the ointment in the coming years.
Acne Levomekol Video
Ointment Levomekol from suppuration, acne: