According to medical statistics, skin diseases are considered one of the most common in modern society. Many people face such a common problem as acne. There are many methods and tools to combat acne, but only some of them are successful.
According to dermatologists, salicylic acid is one of such effective and inexpensive pharmacological agents for acne.
The drug has a low cost and is dispensed without a prescription, therefore it is considered affordable and competitive in comparison with many analogues. Using it is quite simple, but there are rules to consider.
- Release form
- Salicylic Acid Properties
- Indications for use
- Advantages and disadvantages of the product
- Instruction manual
- Does stain help after acne
- Acetylsalicylic acid tablets
- Use during pregnancy
- Salicylic Acid Treatment Masks
- Salicylic Acid Homemade Lotions
- Salicylic Acid Chatterbox Recipes
- Homemade Salicylic Acid Cream
- The frequency and duration of treatment
- Precautionary measures
- Side effects
- How to increase the effectiveness of the tool
- Where to buy salicylic acid
- Salicylic Acid Cosmetics
- Acne Salicylic Acid Video
To date, salicylic acid can be purchased in various forms, depending on further use.
- Powder. The product is an odorless white crystalline mass, readily soluble in water, oily liquids, alcohol. Available in packages of 10, 25 and 50 g. The powder is used as an independent drug, and for the preparation of ointments and emulsions at home.
- Solution. A common release form is in the form of a colorless liquid with a characteristic odor of alcohol. It goes on sale in bottles of dark glass, various packaging. For therapeutic purposes, it is used to combat acne in its pure form, in combination with other components, like lotion or scrub gel.
Salicylic acid in the form of a homogeneous mass of white or yellow in combination with paraffin is available in plastic tubes of 20, 50, 100 mg. It is used as an antiseptic for skin diseases, and is part of traditional medicine for cosmetic masks.
- Paste. A drug similar to the previous release, with zinc as an auxiliary component. Used to combat acne, skin ailments. Often used for the manufacture of therapeutic cream at home.
It is necessary to use products based on salicylic acid after consultation with a specialist.
Salicylic Acid Properties
In most cases, the drug is used as an antiseptic.
Its pharmacological properties are as follows:
- relieves inflammation, dries the affected areas of the epidermis;
- reduces pain;
- inhibits secretion of sweat and sebaceous glands secretion;
- possesses antimicrobial activity;
- constricts blood vessels with open wounds;
- creates exfoliation of dead skin cells;
- promotes tissue regeneration after burns.
With pronounced irritations, allergic rashes, redness, salicylic acid relieves itching, soothes the skin, prevents the growth of bacteria.
Indications for use
Salicylic acid is often used for acne, however, the unique pharmacological properties allow it to be used both for therapeutic and cosmetic purposes.
Prescribe the drug for these types of pathologies:
- infectious and fungal lesions of the skin;
- inflammatory processes, tumors;
- burns, open wounds, bruises;
- eczema, psoriasis, varieties of lichen;
- excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis);
- mycotic diseases of the feet;
- acne, black spots;
- corns and warts;
- corns, peeling feet;
- dermatitis, ichthyosis.
In some cases, salicylic acid-based drugs are prescribed for rheumatism, arthritis, or arthrosis.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
Advantages and disadvantages of the product
Like any pharmacological drug, salicylic acid has its pros and cons of use.
Among the advantages, the following stand out especially:
- anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effect;
- effectively exfoliates dead skin cells;
- smoothes out fine wrinkles;
- accelerates the regeneration of epidermal cells;
- prevents the aging process;
- evens the upper layer of the skin after deep acne and minor injuries;
- dries allergic rashes;
- reduces perspiration;
- regulates the sebaceous glands;
- brightens skin pigmentation spots.
The benefits of salicylic acid are undeniable, however, there are disadvantages.
The most common include:
- individual intolerance to components;
- irritation, allergic rashes;
- dryness, itching, peeling;
- redness of the skin.
Acids that make up the drug, after prolonged use, can leave burns, scars.
Salicylic acid from acne (how to use the drug depends on the form of release of the medication) is used in different ways. The solution for alcohol is applied externally, applied to problem areas with a cotton swab, without rubbing it into the skin.
The daily dosage for adults does not exceed 2 g of salicylic acid, for children under 12 years of age – 0.2 g. The course of therapy is prescribed by a specialist, depending on the complexity of the disease, however, it does not exceed 14 days of continuous use. It is not recommended to treat the solution with mucous membranes, birthmarks.
Salicylic acid in the form of an ointment is applied to damaged areas of the skin with a thin layer, after which it is covered with a sterile cloth or bandage. On open wounds apply gauze, or a bandage pre-soaked with ointment. The dressing must be changed several times a day. The treatment cycle is not more than 10 days of daily use.
The drug in the form of a powder in acne therapy is used as an auxiliary component for the preparation of solutions, ointments, lotions. On its basis make cosmetic face masks that help to cope with the disease.
Does stain help after acne
Often, after treating acne, dark spots remain on the face skin, which is quite difficult to get rid of. The inflammatory process that accompanies the appearance of acne causes an in
creased production of melanin, a substance responsible for skin pigmentation. Salicylic acid helps brighten and even out skin tone after therapeutic measures.
The advantage of using the drug is in the absence of aggressive effects on the epidermis. During bleaching, the acid cleanses the pores and inhibits the development of bacteria. You can get rid of pigmentation on the skin of the face and body by the method of spot processing.
For this purpose, an alcoholic solution of salicylic acid is used. The drug is applied using a cotton swab dipped in a liquid, incubated for 7-10 minutes, and then washed off with warm water.
In the case of intense pigmentation, salicylic acid ointments or creams are effective. Cosmetic masks are made from them, which are applied to previously cleansed face skin. The course of treatment can be up to 7 days. The drug is applied to problem areas, leaving for 10-15 minutes, then removed with a cotton pad and rinse your face with water.
Acetylsalicylic acid tablets
Familiar to many aspirin, in most cases it is used as an antipyretic, analgesic, blood thinner. Not everyone knows that aspirin tablets can be used to combat such a problem as acne.
Salicylic acid, the main active component of the drug, has the following effect on the skin:
- cleans the sebaceous ducts and pores of keratinized particles of the epithelium;
- relieves inflammation;
- eliminates infectious lesions;
- normalizes the process of sweating.
Aspirin is combined with other components of cosmetology, preparing masks, creams and pastes for the face based on it. Before using acetylsalicylic acid for the first time, a sensitivity test should be performed. The tablet is ground into powder, mixed with water until a homogeneous slurry is obtained.
The resulting mass is applied to the skin of the inner side of the elbow, left for 10-15 minutes, and then washed off with water. The absence of redness, burning, itching indicates the possibility of further use of the drug.
For the preparation of cosmetic preparations, aspirin tablets crushed to a powder state are mixed with white clay, honey, yogurt. Means are also supplemented with olive or essential oil, lemon juice.
The resulting mixture is applied to the skin in the form of a mask, cream with a scrubbing effect. To avoid dry skin, drugs are used no more than 2 times a week. The full therapeutic course is 7-10 procedures.
Use during pregnancy
Acne salicylic acid (how to use it during pregnancy and lactation, can be found further in the article) is strictly prohibited for use during the period of gestation. Also, preparations based on it for both internal and external use are prohibited.
The product has fast absorption in the pores of the skin, in addition, it penetrates deep into the layers of the skin. The drug itself and its derivatives in cosmetic and medicinal products impede the full development of the baby.
Long-term use of salicylic acid, as well as one-time procedures to get rid of acne and skin diseases, can cause harm to the health of an unborn child.
Effective in many cases, the drug during pregnancy affects the cardiovascular, genitourinary and nervous systems of the baby. The use of the drug during lactation promotes the development of hepatic ailments in an infant at an early age.
Salicylic Acid Treatment Masks
Traditional medicine offers many funds based on the popular drug that help fight acne, purulent inflammation, small facial wrinkles. The active substance is salicylic acid in the form of a solution for alcohol or powder. You can prepare a mask for skin regeneration, elimination of acne, keratinized cells, traces of acne, at home.
- Sour cream and heavy cream for 2 tablespoon. tablespoons must be cooled and whipped with a mixer. Raw egg yolk is triturated with 0,68 fluid ounce of salicylic acid (10% solution). The components are interconnected and kneaded until a homogeneous mass.
- Before applying the mask, the skin of the face is cleaned of cosmetics using a special milk or micellar water. A warm compress is made, the soft tissue is soaked in hot water, distributed on the face for 3-5 minutes, after which the procedure is repeated.
- The prepared mass is evenly distributed over the face with a special brush or spatula. The mask is left on the face for 25-30 minutes, after which it is removed with a damp cloth or a cotton pad. The skin is allowed to rest for 5-7 minutes, after which the face is rinsed with water of a comfortable temperature.
This tool is not recommended for people with oily skin and large pores. For women with this epidermal structure, the following recipe will be effective.
- In advance, you should prepare a rosehip broth at the rate of 1 tablespoon. spoon of dried berries in a glass of water. The mixture is brought to a boil and boiled over low heat for 20 minutes, after which it is insisted for 60-100 minutes.
- Pressed yeast (2 tablespoon. Tablespoons) is diluted with 1,69 fluid ounce of warm broth of wild rose, kept in a warm place for 15 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of salicylic acid powder, knead until smooth.
- The mask is applied to clean, dry skin, completely covering the face. Avoid contact with the eyelids and the area under the eyes. The mixture is left for 7-10 minutes, after which it is washed off with warm water. The skin of the face is allowed to dry naturally.
- The procedure is carried out twice a week, 1-2 hours before bedtime. For a greater nutritional effect, after applying the mask, you can wipe your face with water infused with grapefruit or orange peel.
In addition to healing masks, at home, you can cook a variety of preparations based on natural ingredients.
Salicylic Acid Homemade Lotions
The appearance of acne is observed at any age. The reason for this may be many factors: from environmental pollution to hormonal changes in the body. Using simple and affordable components for everyone, you can prepare a lotion that will provide fast, effective help.
To prepare the product, you should stock up on the following ingredients:
- infusion of calendula flowers;
- salicylic acid solution (15%);
- tea tree essential oil;
- hot water.
Calendula flowers – 20 g, pour hot water (temperature 70-80 degrees), insist 25-30 minutes and cool. The resulting infusion is combined with a salicylic solution – 3,38 fluid ounce, kept in a glass container for 24 hours, after which it is mixed with essential oil. With lotion, you can wipe the skin for preventive purposes, or do lotions for 3-5 minutes on problem areas.
Another recipe helps not only to quickly eliminate acne, but also has a regenerative effect on the skin. For its preparation, 10 g of salicylic acid powder is dissolved in 2 tablespoon. tablespoons of warm water.
2,37 fluid ounce of fresh strawberry juice, 1,69 fluid ounce of vodka and 5-6 drops of calendula oil are added. All components are thoroughly mixed until smooth, poured into glass containers and stored in the refrigerator. Use the product twice a day, applying to pre-cleansed skin.
Salicylic Acid Chatterbox Recipes
Acne is a common problem in adolescents during puberty. You can effectively deal with the disease with talkers made at home. To prepare the product, take 5 tablets of chloramphenicol and acetylsalicylic acid, push them into powder.
The resulting mixture is poured into a bottle with tincture of calendula, shaken until the components are dissolved. It is necessary to wipe the face with liquid twice a day after washing.
Salicylic acid from acne (how to use homemade drugs to get rid of acne, a specialist in traditional medicine will tell you) effectively manifests itself in another talker.
To prepare it, you should stock up on the following components:
- salicylic acid solution – 1,69 fluid ounce;
- boric acid solution – 1,69 fluid ounce;
- zinc oxide – 5 g;
- antibiotic, erythromycin – 4 g.
The ingredients are mixed until a homogeneous liquid is stored in a glass bottle. Before use, the container is shaken, a cotton swab is moistened and the face skin is wiped. The course of treatment is from 7 to 12 days, after which they pause 4-5 days.
Homemade Salicylic Acid Cream
At home, in addition to masks, lotions and talkers, you can prepare a cream that not only helps to effectively combat acne, but also improves the condition of the skin. As the basis of a home remedy, glycerin or any neutral moisturizer is used.
To prepare the cream, you will need 5 g of beeswax melted in a water bath, 0,34 fluid ounce of rice oil and 3 g of salicylic acid powder are added to the warm mass, all components are mixed.
In a separate container, 10 g of glycerol is dissolved in 1,69 fluid ounce of warm water, mixed with the prepared mass, allowed to cool. In a water bath, the mixture is heated to 40-50 degrees, add 50 g of glycerin and knead the product until smooth.
The resulting cream is poured into a small jar with a tight lid, cooled and kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, after which it is ready for use. Apply it as a preventive measure before bedtime, applying to clean, dry skin of the face.
The frequency and duration of treatment
Salicylic acid is an effective tool in the fight against many skin diseases. However, it is necessary to strictly adhere to the therapeutic course. For each drug-based product, there is a duration of use. Depending on the concentration of the active substance, it can vary from 7 to 14 days.
Long-term treatment with salicylic acid-based drugs can cause dry skin, the appearance of microscopic cracks, and peeling. Homemade masks based on salicylic acid should not be done more than 2 times a week. Creams with the effect of scrub should be used once every 3-4 days, talkers and lotions – twice a day, no longer than 2 weeks continuously. The pause is 4-7 days.
Salicylic acid is a fairly aggressive remedy, therefore, it should be used, strictly observing the dosage.
Like any other medication, it has its contraindications for use:
- acid-based products are not used more than 2 times a day;
- ointments should be applied only to damaged areas of the skin;
- drugs are prohibited for use by pregnant and lactating women;
- people with dry skin do not use the remedy;
- children under 12 years old are not recommended to use medicines, which include salicylic acid.
According to experts, with prolonged use of drugs, the therapeutic effect may decrease. To resume it, you need to pause for 2-3 weeks, after which you can extend the treatment.
It is necessary to use the tool in compliance with safety regulations. Masks, lotions are applied to the skin of the face, avoiding contact with the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and mouth. Do not use salicylic acid solution on alcohol in the form of lotions and compresses on open wounds. High concentrations can cause burns to delicate skin areas.
If the drug or cosmetic products based on it get into your eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water. In case of redness, burning or other pathologies, consult a doctor immediately.
The use of salicylic acid in unlimited quantities can lead to the formation of allergic rashes.
In addition, the following pathologies are observed:
- redness, peeling of the skin;
- increased dryness of the epidermis;
- the appearance of cracks, followed by suppuration;
- the appearance of spots and scars.
The use of drugs should be carried out strictly following the instructions of a specialist.
How to increase the effectiveness of the tool
Salicylic acid is a medication that successfully fights against various diseases of the skin. It is often used in its main form, it is also supplemented with various components on a plant and chemical basis to enhance effectiveness.
- As auxiliary substances, white clay often acts. It improves the quality of the skin, eliminates oily and gloss, narrows the sebaceous pores. Salicylic acid with fermented milk products works great.
- Healing masks are prepared on the basis of yogurt, kefir, cream or sour cream, helping to eliminate age spots that help smooth out facial wrinkles.
- In order to enhance the regenerating effect, grapefruit, lime, lemon and essential oils are added to salicylic acid.
Where to buy salicylic acid
Buying a popular medication is quite simple. It can be found in any pharmacy or company engaged in the sale of pharmacological drugs. The price of products varies in different limits depending on the form of release of the drug and the brand of the manufacturer.
- the average pricing policy of salicylic acid solutions is $ 0,16 – $ 0,39 (the difference is in the percentage of solution concentration);
- salicylic ointment can be purchased at a price of $ 0,35 – $ 0,54;
- cream and lotions based on the drug can be found in the range of $ 0,41 – $ 1,02.
Salicylic Acid Cosmetics
Cosmetic products offer a wide variety of drugs with therapeutic and prophylactic effects based on salicylic acid.
- “Clean & Clear” is a cleansing gel designed for sensitive skin. The tool not only cares for the skin of the face, but also prevents the appearance of acne. In addition to the active ingredient, the composition of the drug includes essential oils, medicinal herbs.
- “Clear Skin Asset” is an effective remedy from Garnier. Fights acne, black spots and age spots. The active substances included in the composition have a rejuvenating effect, smooth the skin and give elasticity. Gel for washing is designed for daily use, eliminates the oily epidermis, tightens pores.
- “Advanced Pigment Corrector” is a salicylic acid face cream. The drug helps to remove dead cells, has a regenerating effect. After several days of use, noticeable lightening of problem areas of the skin, traces of acne are visible. In addition, the cream nourishes the skin with oxygen, eliminates an unpleasant oily sheen. Suitable for daily use, does not cause side effects.
A variety of cosmetics allows you to choose a drug suitable for any skin type.
According to many people suffering from acne and problem skin, salicylic acid is one of the most effective and affordable means. Knowing how to use the medication, you can not only get rid of the disease, but also maintain the skin in perfect and healthy condition.
Acne Salicylic Acid Video
The effect of salicylic acid from acne and a few more methods: