The unpleasant smell of feet and sweating of the legs can cause uncertainty and embarrassment. It is not difficult to get rid of this problem if you know effective ways and means.
- Causes of unpleasant foot odor
- Natural causes
- Pathological causes
- Fungal diseases of the legs
- How to get rid of foot odor: basic methods
- Foot creams
- Sprays in pharmacies
- Top best pharmacy drugs
- Pasta Teymurova
- Lavender oil
- Benzoyl Peroxide Lotion, Gel
- Burnt alum
- Boric acid
- Folk methods
- Magnesia and Sea Salt
- Black tea
- Flax seed
- Oak bark
- Salt baths
- Potato Starch Cream
- Other recipes for men and women
- Foot massage for hyperhidrosis
- Hygiene rules
- Video on the topic: how to get rid of foot odor
Causes of unpleasant foot odor
Increased sweating of the legs and their unpleasant smell are often associated with a neglect of personal hygiene. However, this is far from the only factor causing unpleasant consequences.
Sweat does not exhale odor per se, since it is largely composed of water. It’s all about the bacteria that live on the skin, or in toxic substances that the body tries to get rid of through sweating.
The causes of unpleasant foot odor are divided into 3 types:
An irresponsible attitude to one’s own body is one of the most common sources of the problem:
- Unfair observance of the rules of personal hygiene leads to an increase in the population of bacteria that inhabit the surface of the skin. As soon as their number reaches a critical point, the feet begin to exude a fetid odor.
- Poor-quality, non-ventilated shoes can also cause excessive sweating and a fetid odor. Artificial materials block the flow of air to the feet, due to which the liquid is retained within a confined space.
- Synthetic socks, stockings, tights worsen the situation. Also, the body’s thermoregulation system is disturbed by constant stress and unbalanced nutrition.
There are life-threatening diseases that provoke malfunctions in the work of the thermoregulatory system and the appearance of a fetid odor:
- Infections In the fight against foci of infection, the body starts inflammatory processes. Thus, the body fights against microorganisms dangerous to humans. This phenomenon is accompanied by an increase in temperature and an increase in the amount of sweat produced.
- Violations or changes in the endocrine system . Puberty and menopause are characterized by increased sweating. Also, this is observed in diabetes mellitus, adrenal or pituitary tumors, and goiter.
- Pathology of the cardiovascular system. An increase in the amount of sweat produced sometimes indicates diseases of the heart and blood vessels. In such cases, attacks of hot flashes are observed, especially at night.
- Diseases of the genitourinary system. Pathological processes in the kidneys, for example, affect the release of toxic substances along with urine (urine). The body in such cases is trying to get rid of all the excess through sweat.
By the smell of sweat, you can draw the first conclusions regarding a possible disease or affected organ:
|Characteristic disease or disorder||Smell|
|Diabetes||Rotting fruit, in particular apples|
|Kidney||Boiled cabbage or urine|
|Hormonal system||Mice or old age|
|Pathologies of oncological nature||Rot|
|Digestive system||Hydrogen sulfide|
Fungal diseases of the legs
One of the causes of an unpleasant odor may be the appearance of a fungus on the feet. Infection often occurs in public pools, shared showers, for example, in the gym, in baths. The fungus is localized on the skin between the toes, both on the inside and on the outside of the foot. The reaction of the body is not long in coming.
The patient is faced with:
- unpleasant odor;
In a neglected form, the fungus leads to the formation of pustules. It is able to spread to nearby areas of the skin and soon gets to the nails. In case of inaction, the nail plates are damaged and their subsequent destruction.
How to get rid of foot odor: basic methods
How to get rid of the smell of legs, can tell not only the doctor, but also time-tested folk recipes.
There are several basic methods to deal with this delicate problem:
- pharmacy preparations;
- folk remedies;
- replacement of wardrobe items made of synthetic materials.
Deodorants for legs are not the harmless spray that flood stores. This is a much more effective means not only to eliminate the smell itself, but also to block the work of sweat glands.
Intervention in the natural processes of the body cannot pass without consequences. Daily use of deodorants leads to a deterioration in the quality of the skin, so use them with extreme caution. On the other hand, this tool is extremely effective in combating not only the smell.
- has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- protects the skin from harmful bacteria and fungi;
- prevents irritation.
Before buying, it is better to familiarize yourself with the reviews, evaluate the condition of the package, check the labeling. Before regular use, the effect of a particular solution on the skin should be assessed, because the body may experience an allergic reaction.
It is advisable to apply the product not only on the skin, but also on the inner surface of the shoe, in order to prevent the repeated contact of bacteria on the feet.
Deodorants are divided into 3 types, depending on the principle of action:
Concealer . This type of funds should be used if there is only a repulsive odor, without increased sweating. You have to decide between standard and flavored solutions. The former only relieve unpleasant odors, the latter also gi
ve the feet a certain aroma.
- Blocking. Deodorants of this type should be used only after consulting a doctor, because they can significantly worsen the condition of the skin. In addition, they have a specific smell.
- Complex. This solution fights against microorganisms and narrows pores.
According to numerous reviews and recommendations of doctors, special attention should be paid to:
- deodorant deo-control;
- avon foot works;
- dry dry.
Lotions have both a deodorizing and a disinfecting effect. This is an excellent tool for the prevention of fungal diseases. Lotions are much cheaper than most deodorants, but require more time to normalize the processes of thermoregulation and destroy the foci of the spread of bacteria.
You can notice the first changes after 5-7 days of regular use.
How to use:
- Before using the product, thoroughly rinse your feet.
- After that, you need to moisten a cotton swab with lotion and lubricate the problem areas. Particular attention should be paid to the area between the fingers.
- The procedure is recommended to be performed after waking up, before bedtime, and separately after visiting places with an increased risk of fungal infection: saunas, public showers and pools.
There are not so many lotions on the market of dermatological preparations. The tool “5 Days” from Galeno Farm is not unreasonably a leader in this area. This is an effective and inexpensive solution that does not require a prescription and is available in most pharmacies.
Creams are relevant both in the fight against fungi and in the care of the skin of the legs, as they have an antiseptic effect, soften the skin, and help get rid of its keratinized excesses.
According to customer reviews, the odor is effectively eliminated:
- Clotrimazole. This cream with the same active substance fights with different types of fungus. It can adversely affect the quality of the skin, causing itching, burning, blistering and swelling. This happens with individual intolerance to the components of the drug. Its use should be abandoned in case of pregnancy. It is also contraindicated in children. The cream is applied to problem areas of the skin with a thin layer. Therapy lasts 2–4 weeks.
- Green pharmacy. This tool is actively used to prevent fungal infections. It has a deodorizing effect, positively affects the quality of the skin, softens it and increases elasticity. It is not recommended to use it in advanced cases, since it does not fight effectively enough with the foci of spread of the fungus. The cream is applied to the feet once every few days.
- Foot cream “5 days”. The drug “5 days” deodorizes and dries out the skin, but is not suitable for people suffering from an increased level of perspiration, since it is not an antiperspirant. Treatment continues for 5 days. The manufacturer recommends applying the cream before bedtime.
Sprays in pharmacies
Foreign manufacturers know for sure how to get rid of foot odor, because imported products dominate the sprays market. Their use is a pleasure. There is no need to usd anything in a few minutes or prepare special baths. It is enough to spray the feet daily after a shower.
Do not wear shoes or socks immediately after applying the spray. It is better to let the product soak into the skin.
The 3 most popular solutions on the market:
- Oriflame Reviving Foot. Oriflame needs no introduction, and the quality of its products is beyond doubt. Their deodorizing spray refreshes the legs and protects them from microorganisms. However, it does not have a pronounced aroma. They need to process not only the feet, but also the shoes, since the true cause of the fetid odor is often hidden in it.
- Scholl Fresh Step . This spray actively fights odor and reduces the amount of sweat produced. Compared to competitors, it stands out for the possibility of using people suffering from diabetes mellitus and disorders in the cardiovascular system.
- Avon Foot Works. The product is in a beautiful, compact package that you can always take with you on the go. On sale there are 2 types of this spray: lime and citrus with mint. It protects the feet from unpleasant odors and gives them a light unobtrusive aroma. Avon Foot Works – salvation on a hot summer day, because the mint in the composition refreshes the feet.
How to get rid of foot odor is sometimes suggested by a television advertisement in which some really effective medications regularly flash. Ointments, although more expensive than lotions, but cope with the fungus, even if it has already spread to the surface of the skin.
Optimum in price and quality are:
Lamisil. This drug actively affects the fungus through the main active substance – terbinafine. Lamisil is characterized by an almost complete absence of side effects. The only problem may be the individual intolerance of specific components. The product is applied to clean and dry skin. The duration of therapy depends on the typ
e of fungus and can last up to two weeks.
- Salicylic ointment. Inexpensive, but effective tool against infectious lesions of the skin. It must be applied to infected skin 2-3 times a day. Use should be limited if a person suffers from kidney disease.
- Exoderyl. This ointment is suitable for those who are faced with a fungal source of fetid odor. At the cellular level, it destroys the structure of the fungus, relieves itching and irritation. This is due to the presence in the composition of naphthyne, a popular antifungal substance. Therapy involves daily rubbing the drug into problem areas for two weeks. In the most advanced cases, treatment lasts up to 6 months.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
Top best pharmacy drugs
In most pharmacies, pharmacy drugs are sold that are not inferior in effectiveness to specialized drugs:
- Teymurov paste;
- essential oils;
- benzoyl peroxide lotion, gel;
- burnt alum;
- boric acid;
Teymurov’s paste helps to get rid of foot odor. Both boric and salicylic acid in its formula kill most of the bacteria that emit a fetid odor, relieve inflammation, and remove excess stratum corneum. Due to the presence of lead acetate, zinc oxide, the skin is dried, which prevents stagnation of the liquid, and menthol dilates blood vessels, cools the feet.
How to apply:
- The drug is applied to washed, pre-dried skin. It should be rubbed for several minutes.
- It is necessary to apply the drug on the inner side of the foot, the area between the fingers and on individual foci of increased sweating.
- The procedure must be repeated daily before bedtime for 4 days.
How to get rid of foot odor with Teymurov’s paste:
Lavender oil has a disinfecting, tonic effect, so it is well suited for use after a long tiring working day as a relaxant. In addition, it puts your feet in order, helps to relax and promotes the rapid healing of corns, small abrasions and cuts.
An even more effective way to combat unpleasant odors will be baths with the addition of several types of essential oils:
- To do this, you need to draw water into the basin, the temperature of which corresponds to the temperature of the body, so that the liquid completely floods the feet.
- Next, add 4 cap. lavender oil and 3 cap. oils of chamomile and peppermint.
- It will be enough to hold your feet in the bath for about 15 minutes.
- The procedure should be repeated daily for a week.
Formaldehyde in the composition destroys the protein molecules that bacteria feed on, which prevents the spread of microorganisms. It also prevents excessive sweating, blocking the ducts of sweat glands.
It has increased toxicity, which is why it is contraindicated:
- nursing mothers;
With caution, the use of formidron should be considered for kidney disease, since harmful substances can linger in the body.
How to apply:
- Before using the ointment, you need to thoroughly rinse your feet in warm water.
- Once they dry, you need to apply the ointment and wait about half an hour.
- After that, the remnants of the product are removed from the feet.
- Use formidron is allowed no more than once a day.
Benzoyl Peroxide Lotion, Gel
Benzoyl peroxide preparations are popular under the name Baziron AS. This drug is actively used for acne, but due to its antiseptic properties, it will also be useful for suppressing unpleasant foot odors. The product must be applied to problem areas of the skin every morning.
The duration of therapy should not last more than 3 months due to the manifestation of side effects in the form of itching, burning and redness.
Alum is a universal antibacterial agent. It includes the mineral salts of potassium and aluminum. Its natural nature leads to the complete absence of any side effects, so both adults and children are free to use it. Alum not only has an antiseptic effect, but also absorb excess moisture.
How to apply:
- You can use alum as a powder for shoes and socks.
- They should also treat the legs after washing, paying special attention to the area between the toes.
- Baths with the addition of two tablespoons of this product will not only protect the feet from unpleasant microorganisms, but also relax.
Boric acid is a popular antiseptic. Previously, it was used as an alternative to iodine or hydrogen peroxide. Nevertheless, it is also suitable for reducing sweating, eliminating unpleasant foot odors.
Boric acid disru
pts the nutritional environment of bacteria, which is why there is nothing to eat. As a result, they die, and the fetid odor goes away with them. In addition, it has an astringent effect, due to which there is a narrowing of the ducts of the sweat glands.
In a pharmacy, it is necessary to purchase an alcohol solution, not a powder. Boric acid is applied to clean and dried feet through a cotton swab moistened in it. The procedure must be repeated every day for a week.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
How to get rid of the smell of legs, suggest recipes of alternative medicine.
They actively use publicly available components, which you can even find in your own kitchen:
- magnesia and sea salt;
- Black tea;
- flax seed;
- Oak bark;
- food salt;
- potato starch;
Baths and lotions with the addition of herbs have been used for centuries, as they have established themselves as an effective method for relaxing and combating the unpleasant smell of the legs.
You can use the following herbs:
- Sage. Half a glass of dry sage need to pour 0,3 gallon of boiling water. The liquid should be infused for 15 minutes, after which it will have to be filtered. The feet are completely filled with infusion. In this position, it will take the next 20 minutes. The procedure is repeated daily until complete recovery.
- Chamomile . To prepare a lotion of chamomile, you need to fill in 3 tablespoons of flowers with 0,3 gallon of water. The resulting liquid is covered with a lid and insisted for about an hour. Then add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to it. The mixture must be thoroughly mixed. The resulting lotion is applied to the skin of the feet in the morning and evening during the next week.
- A series of. Pour boiling water over the train so that the liquid barely covers the grass. The mixture is boiled over low heat for about half an hour, after which it is infused for another hour. Broth in small quantities is added to the water for taking baths.
- Lavender and yarrow. Herbs infuse boiling water for 45 minutes. The resulting product is mixed in small volumes with warm water. Feet are dipped into the resulting liquid. Strengthen the positive effect of herbs by adding sea salt.
Magnesia and Sea Salt
Sea salt and magnesia (Epsom salt) have an antibacterial effect. Also, baths based on them act as a natural antiperspirant.
To prepare a similar product:
- it is necessary to add in 0,5 gallon of water half a glass of sea or Epsom salt.
- The mixture must be brought to a boil, and then lower the legs into it.
- The next 15 minutes you should keep your feet in the resulting broth. Baths can be taken daily in the afternoon or in the evening.
Black tea is used both as a lotion and as a base for baths. In the first case, you need to apply a small amount of tea on the skin of the feet every morning with cotton swabs. In the second, deciduous tea is brewed in a ratio of 100 g of tea per 0,3 gallon of water. Legs are immersed in undiluted broth. The procedure lasts 15 minutes. Repeat every few days.
In the fight against excessive sweating and fungal diseases, flax seed helps a lot.
Use it as a basis for therapeutic baths:
- Pour 50 g of seeds into 0,3 gallon of water.
- The liquid should be brought to a boil over low heat, and then immediately removed from the stove.
- The broth is added to warm water in a ratio of 5 to 1.
- The legs are immersed in water for a quarter of an hour every evening for a week.
Due to the high concentration of tannin, oak bark, when used correctly, can have an antibacterial effect. The best method in this case will be special baths based on a decoction.
- in the pan you need to place the oak bark, completely fill it with water and boil for 30 minutes.
- After this, the liquid should be infused for about an hour. Feet should be placed in the broth for half an hour every 3 days.
To neutralize excessive sweating, it is recommended to take salt baths:
- In boiling water, you need to add table salt in the ratio of half a glass of salt per 3,38 fluid ounce of water. Then the water should be slowly stirred until the salt is completely dissolved.
- Once the liquid is ready, it is necessary to immerse the legs in it for no more than 15 minutes.
- The procedure should be repeated every 4 days.
Vinegar-based antiseptic bath is an effective remedy against pathogenic microorganisms:
- It will be enough to mix 1 cup of vinegar in 0,4 gallon of water.
- The components are thoroughly mixed, after which the feet are immersed in the liquid. The procedure takes 20 minutes.
- You can repeat it no more than 3 days in a row. Then take a break.
Baths with the addition of soda also have a positive effect on sweating feet:
- To prepare the product, you need to dissolve 1 tablespoon. soda per gallon of water.
- Legs are immersed in hot liquid. The procedure lasts about 10 minutes.
- Repeat every day for a week.
Potato Starch Cream
Cooking homemade cream does not take much time, but the result will exceed all expectations:
- A teaspoon of potato starch, olive oil and baking soda will be required.
- Components must be carefully moved to a state of homogeneous mass.
- The mixture is applied to the feet every night before bed for a week.
Baths with sugar and milk eliminate odors and relax after a tiring day. They also remove particles of keratinized skin thanks to sugar granules.
Preparation and use:
- Mix water and milk in a ratio of 2: 7, then pour one part of sugar.
- The resulting mixture is stirred, keeping it on low heat. Bring it to a boil is not worth it. The fluid should be warm, but not hot.
- Feet are lowered into the bath for 20 minutes. At the bottom should be granules of sugar that did not have time to dissolve.
- The procedure can be repeated daily. It has no side effects or contraindications.
Other recipes for men and women
- Baths based on rose hips in a few weeks help to finally overcome the problem. Pour rosehips with water and boil them for 10 minutes. Then the mixture should be allowed to infuse. After half an hour, the liquid is filtered and mixed with warm water. Baths are taken for 20 minutes. 3 times a week.
- Trays made from natural ground coffee are quite expensive, but the price is fully consistent with the action. The feet should first be filled with warm water, after which very strong hot coffee is slowly added to it. The resulting mixture should completely cover the feet. Keep your feet in the liquid until it is completely cooled.
- Berry baths are also quite effective. However, their use is relevant only in the summer season, since frozen products do not bring benefits. Strawberries are poured with a gallon of boiling water and infused for the next hour. Then the liquid is filtered, warm water is added to it.
Foot massage for hyperhidrosis
There are several types of massage that can help get rid of sweating. First of all, massage with the use of essential oils or vinegar has an antibacterial effect.
To do this, apply the appropriate liquid in the palm of your hand. Then, starting with the fingers, stretch the upper part of the foot with sliding movements. The same sequence of actions must be repeated with its inner side.
You can also resort to acupressure, the effect of which is due to pressure on bioactive points. Before proceeding directly to the massage, you will have to learn their exact location.
The following points need to be stimulated:
- the area is exactly 0’4 inch above the navel;
- the area of the forearm to the right of the tendons 2 inch above the base of the palm;
- point between the bones of the thumb and forefinger of the left hand;
The procedures must be repeated daily until complete recovery. Then, as a prevention, you will have to conduct sessions several times a week.
Feet should be washed daily, regardless of odor. If sweating is observed, then you will have to visit the shower at least 2 times a day. The area between the fingers should be thoroughly washed with soap, since often there is a focus of the spread of bacteria. After washing the feet, it is advisable to treat with salicylic ointment or lotion.
Also, it is imperative to monitor the condition of the shoes. After prolonged use, they should be dried and ventilated. If an unpleasant odor is noted, it should be washed. Shoes must be treated with antibacterial agents: sprays, deodorants.
The unpleasant smell of the feet is a purely cosmetic problem, which is easy to get rid of. You should not postpone its decision, since advanced diseases are more difficult to treat. It would be much better not to bring the feet to the state when bacteria begin to accumulate on their surface.
Video on the topic: how to get rid of foot odor
How to get rid of unpleasant foot odor. Popular Transmission Release: