Cantopexy is one of the most popular plastic surgeries that helps prevent age-related changes caused by thinning of the periorbital tendons, causing the prolapse of the outer corners of the eye.
Photographs of patients taken before and after the eyelid lift show that the operation is successfully used in the treatment of bulging eyes caused by congenital or acquired pathologies.
What is cantopexy and the cost of a facelift
Eyelid lift (photos before and after the operation clearly show the effectiveness of the correction to eliminate sad and displeased facial expressions) – this is an operational fixation of tendons and folds that have lost elasticity located in the inner or outer corners of the eyes, successfully coping with such problems.
- age or congenital overhang of the eyelids and sagging skin;
- swelling under the eyes;
- eversion of the lower eyelid, which occurs when the appearance of “buccal eye”;
The plastic procedure helps to eliminate small wrinkles that appear around the eyes and correct the “sad facial expression” arising from the corners of the organs of vision lowered down. The constant contraction of the periorbital muscle located under the skin around the organs of vision leads to depletion and stretching of the tissues, causing the formation of crow’s feet.
Over time, fan-shaped folds condense, transforming into age wrinkles, noticeable even in a calm state.
Cartilage folds are located under the periorbital muscle in the eyelids and are held unchanged due to folds and tendons placed along the edges of the cartilage. One end of the tendons of the upper and lower eyelids is attached to the lateral surface of the cartilage, and the other is connected to the remaining folds.
The place of tendon fusion between each other is called the inner and outer corners of the eye (cantos) attached to the periosteum. At the age of 45 years, the corners of the organ of vision are located at the same level, or the outer corner is 3/32 – 4/32 inch higher than the inner one. Tendons in the outer corner of the eye are thinner, so with age they are more stretched, causing drooping of the outer corner.
A similar pathology can also be triggered by genetic causes that cause the appearance of a low level of cantos from birth. Cantopoastics is also used in case of exophthalmos (effervescence), which appears as a result of insufficient development of the facial skeleton or deficiency of soft tissues located along the edge of the orbit of the eye.
In most people, the protruding points of the eyeball are in line with the protruding parts of the zygomatic bone. This position is called normal (neutral vector). The insufficient development of the facial skeleton provokes a negative position of the vector , in which the eyes strongly protrude beyond the edges of the orbit (more than 20/32 – 23/32 inch).
Such a phenomenon in medicine is called exfoliation and is considered a congenital or acquired defect that develops due to the development of certain diseases, including brain tumor and thyrotoxicosis. Eyebrows can be the result of strong age-related changes, which are activated when the tone of the periorbital muscle and its ligaments are reduced.
Plastic surgery of the eyelids is also carried out with the development of ptosis of the lower eyelids, arising under the influence of gravitational changes. Often this phenomenon occurs in persons suffering from exfoliation (congenital or acquired), but can also occur as a result of age-related changes. Over time, the lower eyelid loses support, coming forward, gradually losing contact with the organ of vision.
Under the influence of such changes, the outer corner of the eye shifts downward, not giving the eyeball the necessary support. In this case, the lower eyelid unfolds, the eyes take on the form of roundness with a strip of sclera visible between them and the cornea. With the progression of the disease, there is a prolapse of the organs of vision and an eversion of the mucous membrane.
If such a phenomenon is detected, cantopexy combined with blepharoplasty is performed. According to medical indications, cantopexy can help people born with asymmetric organs of vision or facial paralysis. Cantopexy in most cases is combined with cantoplasty.
There is no significant difference between operations, except that the first is used to eliminate sagging of the lower eyelid, and the second allows you to adjust the natural section of the eyes.
The cost of cantopexy in American clinics starts from $ 204. The operation is carried out by most plastic surgery centers located in New York and Los Angeles. The final cost of the operation depends on other procedures (cantoplasty and blepharoplasty) performed together with a eyelid lift, the size of the area of influence and the qualifications of the practicing surgeon.
|Clinic Name||Type of operation||Cost|
|MedSwiss Center (Inpatient)||Correction of the external corners of the organs of vision (cantopexy)||$ 534.|
|SM Clinic||Cantoplasty / Cantopexy||from $ 347.|
|Lower eyelid blepharoplasty (with cantopexy)||$ 993.|
|Plastic Surgery Medical Center (at the RAS Hospital)||Kantoplasty||From $ 435.|
|Mediller (General Hospital)||Lower eyelid surgery||From $ 204.|
|Space||Lower eyelid correction (cantopexy and blepharoplasty)||$ 707.|
|GrandMed Clinic||Cantoplasty (cantopexy) of the lower eyelid||from $ 218.|
|Laser correction of lowering of the lower eyelid||from $ 299.|
|Frunze branch of the clinic “Scandinavia”||Lower eyelid blepharoplasty (cantopexy)||$ 802.|
|Medical Academy of Plastic Surgery Irina Khrustaleva||Strengthening the external ligaments of the lower eyelid||from $ 211.|
|Medici||Lower eyelid blepharoplasty (cantoplasty)||$ 612.|
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Cannula – what it is, as it is used in cosmetology and medicine.
Eyelid lift (photos before and after the operation are given below in the article) is recommended in case of:
- entropion of the lower eyelid;
- client’s wishes to form fashionable “cat” eyes (cantoplasty);
- the need to correct the natural prolapse of the corners of the organs of vision;
- the appearance of bags under the eyes, formed by a hernia or fatty deposits;
- the appearance of a sullen and displeased facial expression;
- sagging upper eyelid;
- the appearance of ptosis of periobital tendons;
- injuries of the organs of vision;
- warnings and adjustments of age-related pulsed eyeglasses (or due to thyrotoxicosis);
- treatment of side visual effects of myopia.
Over time, the thin tendons located in the outer corners of the eyes stretch and weaken, provoking ptosis and drooping of the corners of the organs of vision. The defect leads to a visual narrowing of the section of the eyes, overhanging of the lower eyelid and the appearance of a sullen and displeased facial expression.
Nursing cosmetics are not able to prevent such changes. Only cantopexy helps to solve the age-related problem, as well as the congenital prolapse of the lower corners of the eyes.
Contraindications to cantopexy are:
- acute and chronic inflammation of the eyes (including the syndrome of “dryness” of the organs of vision);
- impaired functioning of the endocrine system;
- hypertonic disease;
- oncological neoplasms;
- low blood coagulability;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system;
- thyrotoxicosis (the operation is carried out only after complete cure to correct the occurrence of effervescence);
- diseases of the immune system;
- acute and chronic infectious pathologies;
- relapse of any chronic dysfunctions of the body (during cantopexy, the stage of remission should last at least 3-4 months);
- period of pregnancy and lactation.
Cantopexy should not be performed:
- Persons who have been in a state of stress for a long time;
- women during menstrual bleeding;
- with the compulsory use of blood-thinning agents;
- patients in a state of alcohol or drug intoxication or suffering from alcohol-withdrawal syndrome.
For children under 18 years of age, surgery is performed only in case of urgent need (in the presence of congenital drooping of the eyelids, asymmetry of the organs of vision, eye-eyes) and after obtaining the consent of the parents or guardians.
Types of cantopexy
The eyelid lift (before and after photos demonstrates the benefit of the procedure for correcting age-related changes in the eyelids) varies depending on the area that needs to be adjusted.
External cantopexy is used in case of age-related ptosis of the lower eyelid caused by drooping of the outer corner of the eye or to increase the amygdala section of the organs of vision (together with cantoplasty).
- Medial cantopexy helps to correct the inner corner of the eye.
How is the operation
Eyelid lift (photos before and after the surgery make it possible to suggest the necessity of appointing a procedure for people suffering from congenital defects of the organs of vision) is carried out only in sterile conditions of the operating medical center or cosmetology clinic.
Before the procedure, the patient discusses in detail the course of cantopexy and the type of anesthesia used during the operation.
Before cantopexy and country plastic surgery, it is necessary to visit an ophthalmologist and a plastic surgeon to eliminate contraindications to the procedure and determine the area of impact.
- The surgeon will examine the patient, examine the structure of the face and visualize the result of the proposed operation on the computer.
- An ophthalmologist at the appointment will evaluate the condition of the eyes, determine visual acuity, examine the fundus and measure the level of intraocular pressure.
Before the appointment of the operation, the patient must pass blood tests, which establish:
- biochemical formula, blood type and Rh factor, coagulation rate:
- the presence of latent infections and inflammatory processes in the body;
- whether antibodies to HIV infection, syphilis, hepatitis B and C are present;
- the amount of glucose contained in the biological fluid.
- Fluorography (if the patient has an expired result).
- women are additionally recommended to undergo a gynecological examination to exclude a possible pregnancy.
A month before cantopexy, it is necessary:
- exclude any alcohol-containing drinks from the body;
- give up nicotine.
If the operation is decided to be performed under general anesthesia, the patient should arrive at the clinic on the evening before the day of the prescribed procedure. The patient should refrain from evening meals and breakfast, preparing the body for the effects of anesthesia.
Local anesthesia does not require hospitalization of the patient, but any food should be discarded 8-12 hours before surgery.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Vera Alentova after plastic surgery – the last photos, what operations were carried out, how the star changed.
Cantopexy usually takes no more than 1.5-2 hours and is performed under local, guide or general anesthesia. An increase in time is possible when combining the procedure with blepharoplasty (if necessary, remove the hernial parts from the lower section) or cantoplasty (additional adjustment of the eye section).
- The patient is laid on the couch.
- The doctor applies a marker on the corrected area with a marker and anesthetizes the patient. The eyeball area is covered with a plastic shield for protection.
- The surgeon makes incisions with a scalpel. The 1st is carried out 3/32 inch below the lash line. 2nd passes along a natural fold under the superciliary arch. The length of each cut should not exceed 0’4 inch.
- The edge of the periorbital line is pulled by a self-absorbable thread, for this the thread is carried out directly under the ligament (to create the outer corner of the eye), the edge of the periorbital muscle is captured with a U-shaped suture and the remainder of the thread is stretched under the angular ligament in the opposite direction (to the periosteum). The ends of the thread are pulled together and connected. Such a suture is required to hold the lower eyelid in the desired position.
- The resulting excess skin is excised.
- At the end of the procedure, external sutures with 2 knots are applied. In most cases, self-absorbable threads are used, but the use of ordinary (non-absorbable) material is possible.
When carrying out lateral cantopexy, the ends of the tendons are sutured together with the lateral sections and fixed near the periosteum. Additionally, a small fragment of the lateral tendons located on the outer corner of the eye is removed.
With medial cantoplasty, the same manipulations are performed on the inner corner of the eye.
The patient does not see the procedure, since the organs of vision are protected by a special cap. Postoperative sutures are completely invisible, as they are located along the natural superciliary fold.
To obtain a more pronounced result, cantopexy can be performed simultaneously with blepharoplasty or myopexy. Blepharoplasty additionally allows you to remove overhanging skin from the upper or lower eyelid, and myopexy is performed to tighten the face and eliminate bags under the eyes. The specific technique and the need for exposure is determined by the plastic surgeon.
Photos of patients before and after surgery
Photos of patients who underwent eyelid lift clearly demonstrate the effectiveness of cantopexy to correct age-related eye changes. The tired and sullen look present in the pictures before cantopexy is a constant companion of many women who have crossed the 60-year-old limit.
The operation helps to lift the lower eyelid, open your eyes, giving your face a more youthful and cheerful look (which is noticeable in the photographs taken after the procedure). The most spectacular cantopexy is performed in individuals with exfoliating eyes.
Age-related ptosis in people who have undergone thyrotoxicosis or who suffer from myopia can lead to a strong lowering of the lower eyelid, leading to an almost complete loss of lower support for the eyeball. Fixation of the lower eyelid corrects the situation, eliminating a cosmetic defect and preventing the progression of exophthalmos.
The rehabilitation period after cantoplasty takes about 20 days. In the absence of complications after the procedure, the patient is discharged home after 12 hours of observation (or the next morning after the procedure). In the case of an extensive operation combined with myopexy or blepharoplasty, the client is hospitalized and remains under the supervision of medical staff for 1-3 days.
During the first 7 days, the patient will be disturbed by severe pain, to prevent which antispasmodics are prescribed (at least 1 tablet every 7-8 hours). For 7-10 days, the sutures are resorbed (or removed), the nodules are cut, and the patient can proceed to the 2nd stage of the rehabilitation period.
All 20 days, until complete healing, the patient notices on his face:
- inflammation of the conjunctival sac;
- increased tearing;
- seals in the inner corner of the eye.
Bruises and swelling appear due to injury to blood vessels and can occupy a fairly large area on the face. Normally, they disappear after 15-20 days on their own, after complete healing of the tissues. To prevent excessive dryness and relieve inflammation of the eyes, moisturizing eye drops are prescribed, with the effect of an artificial tear.
For the entire rehabilitation period, a cantopexy is prohibited:
- located in the sun;
- to read;
- watch TV;
- work on computer;
- to swim;
- visit saunas, baths;
- stay in the sun without tinted windows;
- use decorative cosmetics (mascara, eye shadow);
- wear contact lenses.
Up to 3 weeks after surgery should:
- Wear sunglasses regularly. You need to protect your eyes not only during the day, but also in the evening, because the artificial light of lamps or machine headlights can provoke the development of the inflammatory process.
- Only sleep on your back, using a tall, flat pillow.
About 2-3 weeks, the patient will be disturbed by eyelid tension, and redness may be present more than 2 months after surgery as a residual phenomenon.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How and why the ribs are removed – efficiency, photo before and after the operation.
Complications after the operation may arise due to the unskilled work of the surgeon or result from the patient’s neglect of the peculiarities of the course of the rehabilitation process.
Among the most common negative effects:
- Inflammatory processes and suture infection, treated with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial therapy.
- The formation of a rough or too dense seam. All responsibility in this case lies with the actions of the plastic surgeon. Physiotherapy or cosmetic procedures (microderbrasion) help correct the scar after healing.
- Seals in the seam area. A side effect can be caused by individual characteristics of the patient’s body and is eliminated by special anti-inflammatory, ophthalmic ointments and physiotherapy treatment.
- Inconsistency of the result with the patient’s initial expectations. In this case, requires the appointment of a second operation.
To avoid such complications, it is necessary to approach the choice of a medical clinic and the attending physician with full responsibility, as well as carefully follow the recommendations of medical personnel in the postoperative period.
The effect of cantopexy can be evaluated after 3 weeks, and the new image will remain unchanged until 6-11 years.
The preservation of the result of cantopexy largely depends on the age indicators and structural features of the patient’s body, since after 40 years, canthosis loses a significant part of its elasticity and repeated adjustment may be required in a shorter time.
Carrying out a eyelid lift helps fight the visible signs of aging, returning beauty and attractiveness to the eyes.
Photographs of patients taken before and after cantopexy indicate the need for plastic correction in case of stretching of the tendons of the periorbital muscle, since the sullen and dissatisfied look of the face that occurs when the eyes are lowered can greatly ruin the image even at a young age.
Eye Lift Video
Eyelid surgery and Kantoplasty, features: