The skin on the elbows may crack and peel off for various reasons. Depending on the etiology, you can get rid of the problem by home or pharmacy means.
- The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking: reasons
- Causes of dry skin on the elbows
- Why does elbow skin itch
- What causes cracks in the skin of the elbows
- Goosebumps in the elbow
- Why does the skin on the elbows darken and turn black
- How to care for problem elbows: basic rules
- Nutrition for Elbow Skin Health
- Treatment of peeling of the elbows with medications
- Pharmacy ointments and creams
- Cosmetic procedures
- Treatment of rough elbows at home
- Oil baths for elbows
- Castor oil bath
- Bath with glycerin
- Nourishing mask for the elbows
- Honey mask
- Starch mask
- Elbow scrubs and peels
- Vitamin complexes for skin healing
- Dry hands and elbows
- Video about cracks and peeling of the skin on the elbows
The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking: reasons
The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking due to changes or disturbances in the body.
The reasons are:
- Avitaminosis. The lack of vitamins E, A, group B makes the skin dry, flaky.
- Diseases of various etiologies.
- Hormonal disorders.
- Improper elbow skin care. Taking hot baths with frequent use of foaming agents.
- A sedentary work or lifestyle in which the constant friction of the elbows and a hard surface are carried out.
Causes of dry skin on the elbows
The first manifestations of changes in the epidermis on the elbow is the dryness of the skin. The reason is psychological shock and prolonged stress.
Dryness can occur as a result of prolonged wearing of clothes made of synthetic materials and its friction on the delicate skin of the elbows. This problem is especially pronounced in the autumn-winter period, when the air becomes dry and significant temperature differences are observed.
The lack of drinking water in the body makes the skin tougher, drier, which subsequently can lead to cracking of the elbows.
Why does elbow skin itch
With dehydration, the upper layer of the epidermis becomes thinner, microcracks appear that cause itching and burning. Normal looking skin begins to itch. If you do not take measures to moisturize the skin from the outside and from the inside, it begins to peel and crack.
The skin begins to scratch with such diseases of the dermis as:
- acute atopic dermatitis of any etiology;
- fungal infections;
Important! If you suspect a skin disease, you should consult a dermatologist, since self-medication can lead to an even greater negative change in the skin.
What causes cracks in the skin of the elbows
Cracks in the elbows are the next step after the appearance of dryness and peeling of the skin. In most cases, their occurrence indicates the presence of advanced skin disease or a complete lack of care for them.
Prolonged anemia, chronic dermatitis, serious thyroid or adrenal gland disorders cause deep, bleeding fissures on the elbows.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Cracks in the fingers – causes and treatment of the skin with folk remedies, ointments, masks and preparations. Photo.
Goosebumps in the elbow
The appearance of goosebumps on the elbows is a sign of improper care for it. Excessive consumption of alkaline cleansers, too frequent scrubbing and insufficient moisture lead to coarsening of the ulnar zone.
This is a kind of protective reaction of the body. The skin tries to reduce the damage caused to it from the outside by the formation of small dense formations. The problem is easily solved – it is necessary to purchase a more nutritious agent and reduce or completely eliminate the mechanical effect on the skin.
Why does the skin on the elbows darken and turn black
There are several reasons for darkening of the skin on the elbows:
- A lack of vitamins A, D, E can lead to a change in skin color.
- Hypothyroidism Malfunctioning of the thyroid gland triggers multiple chemical reactions, one of the manifestations of which are dark elbows.
- With frequent elbowing, squeezing the skin is carried out . Temporary cessation of normal blood circulation, pressure on the epidermis – this leads to coarsening and darkening of the skin.
How to care for problem elbows: basic rules
The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking – this can be prevented by properly caring for it.
There are 3 main stages of proper care:
To clean the skin of the elbows, you can use any cosmetic product (scrub, peeling), a hard washcloth or a special brush. You can also use half a lemon, which needs to be wiped with the elbows 3 to 5 times. This will prepare the skin for the next, more serious stage of cleansing – exfoliation.
The procedure is carried out daily (if the skin is rough) for 2 weeks or 1-2 times a week (for prevention). For this, special products based on fruit acids are used. After exfoliation, the skin of the elbows must be moisturized. There are many options for nourishing the skin.
After trying a few, you can find a suitable tool for a certain type of skin:
- oily (baby) cream – for example, Nivea, Country of Fairy Tales;
- cosmetic oils – sea buckthorn, linseed, apricot, peach, etc .;
- a mixture of vitamin A and E in a ratio of 1: 2 ;
- folk recipes using honey, oils, potatoes or starch.
Important! When using oils, they must be rubbed into the skin with light movements until completely absorbed.
Nutrition for Elbow Skin Health
To help the coarse, flaky skin of the elbows, you can enrich your daily diet with products useful for restoring the epidermis:
- seeds and nuts (almonds, walnuts, pinecones);
- dairy products (cottage cheese, cheese);
- vegetables – spinach, carrots, sorrel;
- chicken eggs;
- liver fish, beef.
To improve the skin of the elbows, it is necessary to abandon alcohol (especially strong drinks). It negatively affects not only large blood vessels, but also worsens microcirculation in the upper layers of the dermis.
Treatment of peeling of the elbows with medications
Depending on the etiology of peeling of the elbows, the following groups of drugs are used:
- Antihistamines (tavegil, fencarol, suprastin, zyrtec, etc.) – if it is dermatitis, eczema and other allergic skin manifestations.
- Medicines that make up the deficiency of iron in the body (sorbifer, ferrum-lek, etc.) – if anemia is detected.
- Vitamin and mineral complexes (duovit, compliance, supradin, etc.) – with a prolonged lack of vitamins.
- Creams and ointments aimed at eliminating dryness, peeling and cracking of the skin of the elbows (lifeguard, bepanthen, foretal, zinc ointment, etc.)
- Hormonal drugs – with violations of the endocrine system.
Pharmacy ointments and creams
When lesions of the skin of the elbows with psoriasis, non-hormonal ointments are recommended for the main treatment, since they can be used for an unlimited time. Such a tool is Videstim ointment (USA) based on vitamin A, which effectively affects the affected areas, helping speedy healing. The cost of $ 1,36.
Emolium emollient cream from the Polish manufacturer Sanofi-Aventi. Due to its composition, it covers the skin with a thin film that prevents evaporation of moisture and overdrying of the skin.
It contains macadamia oil and shea butter, which additionally moisturizes and restores epidermal cells. Recommended for atopic dermatitis, excessive dryness and flaking of the skin. The cost of a tube of 2,54 fluid ounce is $ 6,8.
Bepanten ointment or cream from the manufacturer Bayer AO (USA) contains dexpanthenol, which enhances regeneration at the cellular level. Means are well absorbed and instantly begin to act on damaged areas of the skin. Use up to 3 times a day. The cost of a tube of ointment and cream (30 gr.) Is almost the same $ 6 – $ 7.
The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking – cosmetic procedures can help to soften and nourish the epidermis, improve its appearance.
Examples of procedures are:
- Wraps. Restorative formulations based on oils, creams or herbal products are applied to the elbow area. It is covered with cling film and left for 30 minutes or more. Some wrap blends can be left overnight, then they are most beneficial. The procedure is carried out 2-3 times a week, in combination with purification.
- Compresses . Heated oil mixtures or compositions of folk recipes (with honey, starch) are applied to the damaged areas of the elbows, wrapped with a film and wrapped in woolen cloth for 30-45 minutes. Thus, the skin softens more and its throughput is enhanced. Useful trace elements in large quantities enter the deep layers of the epidermis. Compresses are done 1-2 times a week.
- Whitening . In addition to dryness and coarsening of the skin of the elbows, a frequent manifestation is their darkening. The bleaching procedures can cope with the problem. At home, you can achieve the effect with hydrogen peroxide, lemon or its juice, raw potatoes, parsley or linseed oil. In tandem with them, you can use whitening creams, which will additionally nourish the skin. It is necessary to carry out the bleaching procedure once a week.
Treatment of rough elbows at home
You can cure rough elbows at home with regular cleansing and nutrition.
Cleansing is possible with such folk recipes:
- Salt is mixed with sour cream or kefir and applied to the skin for several minutes. Then it is massaged for 3-6 minutes and washed off with water.
- Half of the lemon must usd your elbows for 2-5 minutes. After rinse with water and moisturize.
- Coffee grounds are added to the shower gel or applied to the skin in pure form. Massaged for several minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Powdered buckwheat or rice groats are mixed with a small amount of liquid honey and rubbed into the skin of the elbows. For greater effect, you can leave the mixture for 10 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
After cleansing, a prerequisite is the nutrition and hydration of the elbows. For these purposes, you can use compresses, creams, oils. The latter must be generously lubricated and left on for 5-10 minutes. Gently remove the residue with a tissue.
Important! After any manipulation of the cracked skin of the elbows, it is necessary to moisten them with cream. Even if the procedure was their moisturizing and nourishing components.
Oil baths for elbows
Oil baths effectively soften the coarsened skin of the elbows, contributing to better penetration of drugs or nutrients.
Castor oil bath
- 5,41 fluid ounce of sunflower oil;
- 0,85 fluid ounce of castor oil.
Heat vegetable oil in a ceramic bowl, add castor to it. Stir, lower elbows in oil for 15-25 minutes. After time, wipe the skin dry and grease with cream.
Bath with glycerin
- Olive oil – 3,89 fluid ounce.;
- Glycerin – 0,85 fluid ounce.
The oil is heated to a temperature of 45-50 degrees. Glycerin is added to it, mixes well. Keep your elbows in the bath should be from 20 minutes or more. At the end of the procedure, the elbows are not washed, but blotted with a napkin.
To achieve maximum results, oil baths must be done after exfoliation 2-3 times a week.
Nourishing mask for the elbows
The skin on the elbows is peeling and cracking – nourishing masks can improve the situation. They enrich the skin, saturate it, contribute to speedy recovery.
- almond oil;
- honey – 7-9-gr.
Mix honey with warm almond oil (the consistency is medium liquid so that it does not spread much). Lubricate the elbows liberally, insulate with cling film and a warm cloth. Leave on for 25-40 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- lemon juice – 0,1 – 0,2 fluid ounce;
- potato starch – 6.5 g .;
- baby cream – 12 gr.
It is necessary to mix all the components and apply to the problem area until the mask completely dries. Rinse off with warm water.
Elbow scrubs and peels
The cosmetics industry offers many cleansing and exfoliating products for the skin.
The following scrubs and peels are suitable for the elbow area:
- Aravia Organic peeling – fruit peel based on fruit acids. Cleanses the skin without injuring it. Prepares in moisturizing. The cost of a bottle of 5,07 fluid ounce is $ 18.
- Peeling from Organic Shop is a series of products with different components. Allows you to choose an individual cleanser based on olfactory preferences, without compromising the quality of the product. Free of parabens and silicones. The cost of a 8,45 fluid ounce jar is $ 3,2.
- The invigorating scrub sugar Coffee, Zeytun – consists of natural ingredients (cane sugar, grape seed oil, nutmeg, etc.) that gently but thoroughly cleanse the skin of dead cells. The cost of a can of 16,91 fluid ounce is $ 23.
- PhytoCosmetic, Body scrub intensive care grape-sugar qualitatively cleanses the upper layer of the epidermis, while not injuring it. The presence of almond oil and cranberry juice, as well as cane sugar and ground grape seed favorably affects the skin. Low price of $ 0,68. for a jar of 5,24 fluid ounce is very beneficial. It is enough for a long time, if used only for elbows.
- Coffee and salt body scrub “Chocolate Paradise” from the American company Dushka-Otushka. The composition is completely natural – sea salt, ground coffee, natural silk, coconut, palm, linseed, burdock oil, etc. The product cleanses well, while the oils in the composition nourish the skin, not allowing it to dry. A jar of 6,76 fluid ounce is estimated at $ 3 – $ 4.
Vitamin complexes for skin healing
Vitamin and mineral complex Imedi – Perfection time (Pfizer, Denmark). A distinctive feature of the drug is the Biomarine Complex and LycoPhence GS complexes, which act directly on skin cells, preventing their dehydration, enriching them with necessary elements. The cost of packaging vitamins (60 pcs.) – $ 41.
Vitamin and mineral complex AlfaVit Cosmetics for beauty and health from the American manufacturer Akvion. Contains vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and coenzyme Q10. The BMC is designed so that all elements are contained in 3 tablets, which must be taken during the day with an interval of 4-5 hours. This separation contributes to the best digestibility of substances. The cost of the complex is $ 4,76.
The Complivit Radiance Vitamin Complex (USA) contains 11 vitamins, 8 minerals, lipoic acid and green tea extract. Pack of 30 It is calculated on a monthly course of application. As a result, the body compensates for the lack of trace elements, healing the skin, hair and nails. The cost of vitamins is $ 4,08.
Dry hands and elbows
To keep your elbows always soft, you should follow a few rules:
- Eat properly and observe drinking regimen.
- Give preference to clothing made from natural fibers (or with a high content).
- Daily moisturize the skin of the elbows, regardless of its condition.
- Avoid contact with aggressive detergents.
- Do not abuse the use of hot baths (especially with foam fillers).
- Periodically use vitamin supplements (rationally 2 times a year to drink them in a course).
- Learn not to lean on your elbows.
- If a disease is suspected, consult a doctor on time.
Timely skin care of the elbows eliminates their peeling and cracking. Compliance with preventive measures will help the skin always remain soft and tender, regardless of the season and working conditions.
Video about cracks and peeling of the skin on the elbows
Folk remedies to eliminate dry skin on the elbows:
Why peeling and cracking skin on the elbows: