The back is a fundamental part of the human body, so athletes put a lot of effort into working it out. Developed spinal muscles not only play an aesthetic role, they also affect the slimness of the body, strengthening the spine, and the health of internal organs.
The vertical thrust of the upper block, namely the head, is widely used not only among professional bodybuilders, but also fitness lovers, girls and guys.
- Draft for the head of the upper block
- The technique is performed only in the gym on a special simulator
- How to start classes
- Classic top link traction
- Complicated options and trajectories
- Program for comprehensive muscle strengthening
- Basic rules for completing a workout
- Contraindications and limitations for training
- Major execution errors
- Video: pull the upper block behind the head
Draft for the head of the upper block
The pull of the upper block behind the head is the basic strength exercise in the gym, which effectively works out several groups of muscles and joints, mainly the back (to a lesser extent of the arms):
- the widest (so called “wings”);
- large round;
- trapezoidal (its lower part);
The technique is performed only in the gym on a special simulator
The pull on the head of the upper block is suitable for expanding the size of the torso due to the growth (hypertrophy) of the latissimus dorsi. It imitates standard pull-ups, as it involves a large number of muscles. However, it has its advantages in contrast to pull-ups.
On the simulator, you can adjust the weight and even beginners to engage in a descending pattern, that is, gradually increase the load. This allows you to make a large range of motion and, accordingly, it is better to work out the torso.
- Increased back width.
- V-shaped torso and thin waist.
- Equal posture.
- Muscular and embossed torso.
- Availability and ease of implementation.
- Suitable for those who can not pull themselves up.
- Suitable for beginners.
- Suitable for men and women.
Unlike traction in front of you, which acts on the rhomboid muscles and increases their thickness, traction for the head increases the muscles in width.
How to start classes
It is recommended to perform classes in the first part of the training in the gym. To begin with, you need to choose the right weight (block weight) and the number of repetitions. For this, it is better for beginners to contact the instructor.
Weight is determined by the level of physical fitness and the goals of the bodybuilder (to lose weight, build muscle, to “dry” the body). For beginners, you first need to work out the technique correctly, so it’s best to start training with minimal weight.
It is necessary to start with 10 repetitions of 2 – 3 sets of weights of 55 -66 pounds for men and 33 -44 pounds for women . It is advisable for athletes with little experience 12 times in 4 sets, athletes with experience – 15 times in 4 sets.
The main thing when doing the exercise is to adhere to the quality of the exercises, and not their quantity. To “dry”, gradually increase the weight mass or the number of repetitions.
Before each lesson, it is imperative to warm up (cardio training on a stationary bike, squats, bends, exercises with dumbbells) to warm up the muscles and prepare them for a safe and effective workout. At the end of the lesson, you need to relax your working muscles with a stretch.
Before training, it is recommended to drink a glass of water (green tea), during training, drink a little every 15-20 minutes. In order to increase muscle mass, it is necessary to eat protein (protein powder drinks, low-fat poultry or fish meat, egg whites) and carbohydrate foods (rice, oatmeal, whole grain bread, freshly squeezed fruit juices diluted with water) in the first 20 minutes after training.
Fat from the diet is practically eliminated. Eating is not recommended 1-2 hours before training.
Classic top link traction
The main stages of the correct implementation:
- Proper placement in the simulator . First, adjust the roller fixing the legs (knees) so that the weight does not pull the body up. Place your hips tightly under the rollers, and press the feet to the floor at the knees. Place the pelvis on the seat so that the top block with the bar is above your head.
- Grip the bar handle with your hands. Having taken the correct position on the simulator, as you exhale, pull the bar down, moving it behind your head. The narrower the grip, the more biceps are worked out (which is not desirable in this case), and the amplitude of movements increases. On the contrary, with an increase in grip, the load on the back increases and the amplitude decreases. Optionally choose an average grip. There are scars on the handle on the right and left, you need to grab so that the little finger is at the beginning of the scar – this is approximately the average grip. During bending of the arms at the elbows at the lowest point at an angle of 90 °, the forearms should be perpendicular to the floor and parallel to each other. The training cable is placed in an upright position.
- Performing the exercise, fix the body exactly upright and not stoop, slightly tilt your head forward, but look straight. In this case, the forearm moves along the body, the shoulder blades are brought together. Pulling the bar only due to the work of the back muscles, not the arms! If during the movement the shoulders and forearms are strained, and not the back (the broadest, rhomboid and lower part of the trapezius muscle), then the execution is incorrect. If, despite the correct technique, the back is not worked out, it is necessary to reduce weight.
- You need to pull the bar until you lightly touch the back of the head. Then pause at the lower point for a few seconds and extend your arms at the elbows at the upper point and inhale, but not completely relax the shoulder girdle. You can’t stretch your back and shoulders too much, this can lead to sprains and injuries. At the end of the workout, when the elbows are extended at the highest point, take a series of inhale-exhale.
The pull of the upper block behind the head for a harmonious physique and athletic torso is recommended to be systematically performed 2-3 times a week.
Features of the technique:
- If, with poor mobility of the shoulder joints, it is impossible to perform this exercise without stooping, it is better to abandon it.
- When moving your arms down, you need to lean forward slightly and bring the shoulder blades together.
- You need to pull the neck to the middle of the head. To reduce the extra load on the forearm, you can fix the brushes to the bar with straps.
- Keep your head straight and look forward. The back is straight.
Complicated options and trajectories
The difference in the grip of the handle distributes the load on different muscles.
Neck grab is performed in 3 ways:
- straight (brushes are turned away from you)
- reverse (brushes are turned to themselves)
- parallel (forearms are parallel and hands are turned to each other).
Direct and wide grip traction works on the broadest, largest round muscles, while stretching the ligaments and connective tissues. With a narrower grip, the load falls on the trapezius, on the biceps, the lower part of the latissimus and the posterior bundles of the deltoid muscle. Narrow grip traction can be performed by reverse or direct option.
When pulling the block with a reverse grip, the biceps are worked out more. Parallel grip is a simplified traction option on the top block and is best suited for beginners. If you have mastered and easily performed all the exercises with the upper block, then you can go to the pull-ups on the crossbar.
Program for comprehensive muscle strengthening
For effective and high-quality study of all 3 groups of dorsal muscles, traction of the upper block for the head is combined in combination with other basic strength exercises:
- longitudinal bench press;
- draft of the T-bar in an inclination;
- lifting weight in a bent position with pauses;
- draft of a dumbbell to a belt;
- vertical lifts of gravity with one hand;
- pulling up on the crossbar.
It is not necessary to perform all exercises at once, it is enough to alternate several of them 2-3 times a week.
Representatives of the female sex, depending on the goals set, can work both on power indicators for the relief of the body, and on the “drying” of the upper back and shoulder girdle. Since it’s difficult for girls to get classic pull-ups on the bar, this exercise will help to achieve a beautiful back relief.
Basic rules for completing a workout
To prevent pain caused by the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles after training, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- Every time before a workout, do a warm-up, and after – a stretching: standing straight, bend your chest forward, take your pelvis back. Bend your back in the chest, then bend back as far as possible. Shoulder to bring forward, hands stretch forward and down. Move chin after hands. Stretch your arms as far as possible and return to the starting position. Tension should be felt in the area of the shoulder blades.
- End each workout with aerobic exercise (10 minutes on an exercise bike or treadmill).
- After each approach, take a break for 30 seconds.
Contraindications and limitations for training
There are practically no contraindications for the traction of the upper block, with the exception of:
- Hernia of the spine in the thoracic.
- Injuries (sprains, dislocations, fractures) of the shoulder girdle, hands, elbows, back.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
Major execution errors
Often making mistakes:
- Stoop (curvature of the spine).
- Separation of the buttocks from the seat.
- Full extension of the forearms at the highest point.
- Redistribution of load on the biceps of the arms, not the body.
- Too much weight or a large number of approaches that make it difficult to correctly complete the exercise.
The consequences of improper execution:
- body pain, as a result of the accumulation of lactic acid;
- inefficiency of the study of the spinal muscles and hypertrophy of the hands, and not the back.
To speed up the elimination of lactic acid after exercise, you can do a relaxing massage, take a warm bath.
Almost all bodybuilders include the pull of the upper block behind their heads in the basic set of training. In addition, this simple power exercise is widely used by beginners. The main thing in the formation of a beautiful figure is to adhere to a systematic and proper execution technique.
Video: pull the upper block behind the head
Correct performance of traction of the upper block behind the head:
Head block pull for girls: