Now many people are aware of one of the most effective methods of removing body hair – a procedure called “Shugaring” (in our opinion “shugaring” or “sugar hair removal”). But few people know that Nefertiti and Cleopatra are considered the founders of the removal of excess vegetation from the body.
They own the primacy of using honey, wax, infusions of medicinal herbs to give the perfect smoothness to your skin. Only after many centuries, Europeans appreciated the potential of powdered sugar. Actually, this cosmetic procedure got its name “shugaring” thanks to sugar (sugar is translated from English).
- Benefits of Homemade Hair Removal
- Essential materials for cooking pasta at home
- Step-by-step instructions for shugaring yourself at home
- For legs
- For armpits
- For the bikini zone
- For face
- Homemade Pasta Recipes
- With lemon juice
- With citric acid
- With honey
- With vinegar
- On fructose
- On herbal decoctions
- Microwave Paste Recipe
- What else can be added to the composition (essential oils, perfumes, dyes …)
- Advantages and disadvantages of paste of different density
- Should I cook shugaring for several procedures
- Pasta storage
- Video recipes cooking pasta for shugaring at home
Benefits of Homemade Hair Removal
Today, shugaring with multivariate recipes for making pasta at home has noticeably squeezed salon procedures, painful vasking, shaving, and depilatory creams. This “reorientation” is due to several reasons. First of all, adherents of shugaring have the opportunity to independently choose the ingredients of recipes at home, the time of its implementation.
These factors complement the main advantages of this “tasty” method, namely:
- Profitability . This refers, first of all, to the cost of the main components for making the paste: water, powdered sugar + available nutrients. They are less expensive than salon or purchased blanks. Balls from this caramel can be prepared at home for future use, and depilation of different parts of the body is carried out at a convenient time.
- A minimum of pain compared with the use of hot wax, which increases the risk of subsequent skin irritation. After all, adherence to the skin of “sugar toffee” is less than with vasking. It is used when the degree of heating is close to the temperature of the human body. Therefore, for the gentle dermis of the face, armpits, bikini, this method is the most gentle.
- Hypoallergenic due to the use of suitable natural ingredients without preservatives, various chemical compounds.
- Convenience of independent use without damaging the floor, clothing, other parts of the body. Also attracted by the ease of removing residual paste with warm water after the procedure. This method can also be used as a scrub to rid dead skin particles.
- Complete removal of even short hairs (up to 5/32 inch) without their curvature, breakage at the very base and negative further germination inside. This can be achieved by applying the paste against the direction of their growth with a strong grip and deep penetration of the follicles. And its removal in the reverse order (for hair growth), eliminates breakage of hairs.
- The long-term effect of smooth skin is more than 20 days.
- Possibility of flexible use of different types of shugaring (manual; bandage for long hair; applications on small separate areas of the skin).
Essential materials for cooking pasta at home
In order to correctly do shugaring at home, a pasta
involves the use of such related materials as :
- Spatula for extracting funds from the tank.
- Strips (paper, polymer) , which, with the banding technique, fixes the paste on the skin.
- Gloves to prevent contact of sweating hands with the paste, leading to its thinning. They are most relevant during the application of manual hair removal techniques.
- Talc for body treatment before the procedure after its degreasing, disinfection (with the manual method). This is done to increase the adhesion of the paste and hair.
- Cotton pads / napkins , with which residues are removed after the procedure (thermal discharges, lotion, etc.).
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Step-by-step instructions for shugaring yourself at home
The algorithm of actions for conducting shugaring at home according to any recipe provides for the following steps:
- Pasta preparation. To do this, mix sugar with water in a glass bowl. Put the mixture on a fire or in the microwave. After the sugar melts and a turbid, homogeneous liquid forms, the mixture must be mixed gently. Continue heating over low heat until the contents of the cognac, golden color are saturated. It is important to avoid the color of dark beer, which indicates the digestion of pasta.
- Checking the readiness of the paste with the desired color is carried out after its cooling. At the same time, it should gradually acquire a density and darker color. Periodically, you should monitor its temperature, allowing, without burning, to hold in your hands. Then, pinch off the paste and try to make a small ball out of it. It should be sticky without sticking to the palm of your hand.
- A skin treatment that involves showering with a scrub / hard washcloth. The body area of the proposed shugaring should be thoroughly dried with a natural cloth / towel. After that, treat this place with an alcohol-containing tonic, then talc / starch / baby powder with a small amount of wheat flour. Experts also recommend that 1-2 days before depilation, dead skin cells of the upper epidermis be removed with a scrub.
- Carrying out hair removal with a piece of paste well crushed by warm palms before turning it into a plastic mass. It should resemble soft chewing gum / plasticine. Attach the ball to the place with unwanted hair and stretch it in the opposite direction from their growth on the area up to 2 inch. To reduce pain, you need to hold the skin with your fingers. One ball of paste can be used until its plasticity, ability to stick / come off is lost. Otherwise, you need to change it with a new one and continue the procedure.
- At the end of depilation, rinse off the rest of the paste with warm water and lubricate the skin with a soothing, moisturizing cream. This helps to get rid of redness, irritation of the skin after the procedure after 1-2-fold use after the procedure.
It is important to remember that within 12 hours after the procedure you can not visit the bath, sunbathe, play sports. After 3-4 days, the skin should be cleaned with a scrub.
The use of paste for depilation in different zones has some subtleties.
At home, it is recommended that beginners start shugaring with legs. The pasta prepared according to the recipe must be rolled into a small ball, stuck to the body, rolled against hair growth and left for 1-2 minutes. This time is enough for enveloping with a viscous mixture of each hair and the sensation of their tension.
Then “tear” the applied paste along the line of hair growth. To reduce the pain of the procedure, both actions should be sharp and carried out in parallel with the treated skin.
Used “caramel” with removed vegetation should be replaced with a new mashed ball, and then put on the next overgrown place. Carrying out these manipulations will take about 2 hours. Then, the skin over the entire depilation area should be washed off with warm water and carefully lubricated with a moisturizer.
This area has very sensitive skin with bulbs firmly rooted in the follicles and requires special care. Her depilation is carried out in small areas with small pieces of caramel. In connection with the vertical growth of hair, you need to roll the paste down first, and tear it off in the opposite direction.
The first rather painful procedure can last about half an hour. And all subsequent ones will be more comfortable and take only about 5 minutes, as the hair gradually weakens and is more freely removed from the body.
For the bikini zone
According to user reviews, depilation with powdered sugar in this zone should be carried out with hairs no longer than 6/32 inch long. This allows you to minimize pain, especially during the first procedure.
Here, shugaring is more convenient to carry out with the installation of one leg on the edge of the hill (bath, chair, etc.). First, you need to stretch a small piece of paste, apply it against hair growth in a small area ( 0’8 x 0’8 inch). In such an area, you can remove the hair for 1 time.
After 30 seconds, gently stretch the skin and sharply tear the caramel already in the direction of hair growth. Then these steps must be repeated in the next section of the bikini. With sufficient dexterity, each of them can be processed in 15 seconds.
At the end, the traditional method of washing off with water and applying a skin-soothing cream is applied.
It should be noted that the duration of caramel in that zone leads to an increase in the pain of its removal.
Therefore, it is better to “disturb” the hairs remaining after the procedure in a small area after a week and a half (10 days). Switching to shugaring without the use of a razor will slow down hair growth, therefore it will be rather rare to resort to it.
If on this very visible part men can remove hair by shaving, then this method is categorically not suitable for women. A rather unpleasant procedure for plucking them only stimulates the growth of hairs.
Therefore, shugaring can be considered the best option for this very delicate matter. It is used to remove dark, stiff, short hair in the form of a cannon / “antennae” above the upper lip, when making eyebrows, on the chin, on the cheeks.
The technique of shugaring consists in cleaning the face skin from makeup, wiping it dry with a towel made of natural materials. Then the upper lip should be dusted and only after that apply warm (not hot!) Paste over it with a small spatula. To create a flat, even surface, the lip must be pulled down.
The paste is distributed more densely along the outer edges than in the center. Then, a strip of cotton fabric is pressed against a square covered with a kind of sweet “pancake”. The place of application is carefully smoothed out by pressing with a finger and after 1 minute it vigorously breaks down against hair growth (towards the nose).
After this, a piece of ice should be applied to this place in order to relieve redness, a feeling of initial pain and prevent skin inflammation.
It should be borne in mind that after depilation, you should avoid tanning, visiting a solarium even after applying sunscreen!
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Homemade Pasta Recipes
To conduct shugaring at home, the above classic recipe for making pasta (sugar + water) can be supplemented with various useful substances.
With lemon juice
Adding this ingredient makes the paste flexible. It can be prepared for one or several procedures.
The recipe for a single use is to mix 6 small tablespoons of sugar with water and freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 small tablespoons each). The mixture must be placed on a gentle fire and gently stirred until stained in golden color.
After the appearance of a sweet caramel flavor, add lemon juice, mix thoroughly and remove from heat. The paste is used in a warm form and therefore it is important to prevent complete cooling, since it does not warm well when frozen.
For the preparation of pasta for 6 months, the proportions of the components are as follows:
- sugar – 2 pounds;
- water – 8 tablespoon;
- lemon juice – 7 tablespoon
There is also a slight difference in the method of preparation: all the ingredients are mixed to a uniform consistency and placed on high heat. After complete dissolution of the sugar with constant stirring, already on a slow flame for another 10 minutes, the mass languishes under the lid.
The future paste, which has already become liquid, is again left in a low flame and again at the beginning of boiling (10 minutes each). This 30-minute longing allows her to acquire a darker color and the smell of mouth-watering caramel.
The workpiece should form a light foam for another 5 minutes and only after that it moves to a specially designated container with thick walls. Full cooling time takes about 3-4 hours.
With each use, the required volume of paste is slightly heated in a water bath.
With citric acid
This is the simplest recipe for making pasta for shugaring at home is considered a classic. Unlike different types of lemons, such a component has the same level of acidity. In addition, not only juice, but also ordinary vinegar can be its analogues.
The peculiarities of the acid include its ability to completely neutralize during cooking.
To make a paste you will need:
- sugar – 6 tablespoon;
- warm water – 2 tablespoon;
- citric acid – 0.5 tablespoon.
It is cooked according to the general rules: “sugar + water”, first on low heat until completely dissolved, then, with constant stirring, until golden brown. After this, you need to check the readiness with a drop of the mixture in cold water.
The complete readiness is evidenced by the absence of spreading of the mass, i.e., the preservation of droplets. After this, citric acid should be added and, while stirring continued, removed from the stove and allowed to cool completely.
By varying the proportions of water and acid, it can have a different consistency. For shugaring with the help of balls, a thick paste is used, and with the help of strips of fabric – liquid, obtained from a somewhat undercooked mass.
Such a paste can be prepared with or without lemon juice / acid.
To prepare the first method, you need to mix sugar (250 g), honey (2 large tablespoons), water (a third of a glass) and put on a small fire. To avoid burning, the mixture must be constantly stirred until it is completely dissolved (without lumps). Bring to a boil, continue to melt under a closed lid.
After caramelization of sugar and a brown color, the container is removed from the heat and set to cool.
In the second variant, the same volume of water, sugar (up to 300 g), honey and lemon juice (40 g each) are used, and the cooking method is similar to the first.
In both cases, the paste preparation process lasts up to 0.5 hours .
Among the various types of vinegar for shugaring, it is preferable to choose the most useful – apple. Plastic paste for various zones is obtained from a combination of the following ingredients:
- sugar – 8 tablespoon;
- water – 1 tablespoon;
- vinegar – 1 small spoon;
- honey – 2 tablespoon
The pasta is cooked by analogy with the previous methods: first, a mixture of sugar and water, and after its “bubbling” at the end, vinegar is added with continued boiling (5-10 minutes). The finished viscous mixture is poured into another container for cooling.
This sugar substitute in the form of a fine-grained white powder gives the paste special plasticity. Its use allows you to remove hard hair from once.
To prepare it according to a traditional recipe, you need to use:
- fructose – 6 tablespoon;
- water – 2 tablespoon;
- citric acid – 0.5 tablespoon
On herbal decoctions
Sugar paste based on decoctions of medicinal herbs has the properties of soft peeling, respect for the dermis and its soothing during manipulation, preventing inflammation.
The choice of plants depends on the type of skin. The most universal is the flora, saturated with vitamins, essential oils, various trace elements. This is, first of all, mint, sage, hops, chamomile, jasmine, plantain, linden, calendula, rose petals, etc.
Decoctions of them are prepared in the form of ordinary tea at the rate of 1 teaspoons. 8,45 fluid ounce of boiling water boiled for at least 15 minutes. During the preparation of the paste, the broth should be diluted with boiled water in a ratio of 1×2. Further, this solution is used in traditional recipes instead of pure water.
Microwave Paste Recipe
The attractiveness of this method of cooking pasta is to save time and the complete absence of water. To do this, you will need honey, lemon juice (one quarter cup each) and sugar (1 cup).
- Mixing juice with sugar, and then adding honey.
- Heat the mixed 3-component mixture for 15 minutes in the microwave at maximum power.
- Remove from the oven, stir until the resulting bubbles disappear and place back.
- Repeating these operations is carried out until the desired consistency is achieved, the color of caramel, reminiscent of liquid honey. A rich brown tone indicates the digestion of the paste and its excessive hardness.
- After checking readiness with a toothpick for ductility, set the paste aside. It should cool, acquire the required density.
What else can be added to the composition (essential oils, perfumes, dyes …)
The advantages of homemade pasta include the ability to use natural products, both basic and additives (honey, nuts, herbs, etc.).
At the same time, the finished product may contain undesirable synthetic impurities (flavors, preservatives, colorants). And this should be avoided in every way with the hand-made production of sugar caramel to remove hair on any part of the body.
Advantages and disadvantages of paste of different density
The choice of the consistency of sugar caramel is based on the technique of shugaring (bandage or manual), the structure of
the hair in different areas of the body. With the bandage shugaring technique, the paste should be in a liquid state, and with a manual one, it should be more dense, thick.
It is important to consider these nuances in its manufacture based on the characteristics of the main and additional components .
Based on this, the right choice is made of a paste of one or another density from the existing 4 types , namely:
- Soft , with high elasticity, suppleness. It is used in bandage and manual techniques to remove blond hair on smooth, large areas (arms, legs, stomach).
- Medium is also intended manually in the presence of hair of moderate stiffness. Such a paste is considered universal and is very relevant for the initial procedures in any zone.
- Dense , as well as medium- dense mass, very effectively copes with the removal of hard hair in the face, bikini, armpits.
- Super-dense allows you to manually depilate the hair of different stiffness, color. It is quite acceptable for sensitive skin (for example, bikinis or armpits), because it quickly removes hair without prolonged pain.
Choices can be adjusted by climatic conditions, ambient temperature. So, for example, in the heat it is better to give preference to dense compounds, the risk of melting of which at this time is minimal.
Should I cook shugaring for several procedures
As practice shows, beginners should first prepare a paste for single use. And then, gaining experience, you can do it for the future. After all, sugar caramel can be stored in the refrigerator for several months.
For repeated procedures, you can select the desired volume, heating it in a water bath, wax wax or in a microwave oven until foam is formed.
It is important to know that soft paste has a shorter shelf life compared to its dense texture. It is important to ensure normal conditions for the preservation of any kind of mixture.
The main criteria for proper storage:
- Temperature conditions – up to 35,6 – 41°F. This allows you to save the product in any dry, dark room.
- Humidity level – not higher than 75%. This requirement refutes some recommendations regarding the placement of paste in refrigerators, where high humidity is formed.
- The use of hermetic, environmentally friendly dishes made of food-grade silicone, plastic (containers, trays, portioned molds, etc.). These materials make it easy to extract caramel, easy to clean. In addition, they avoid moisture.
Failure to comply with these requirements may result in the loss of the practical value of the mixture (deformation of the structure, sugaring, etc.).
The principles of high-quality performance of shugaring:
- The use of well-refined fine-grained sugar, characterized by uniform melting and ductility.
- Compliance with the accuracy of the proportions of the ingredients, because the consistency of the paste is determined by the volume of water, acid. With more of them, it will be liquid and rather plastic.
- The right choice of dishes. It should only be stainless steel with a thick bottom. For stirring, use wooden / glass objects (spatula, spoon, spatula).
- Compliance with the cooking time, since the undercooked mixture is sugared, and the digested mixture after solidification turns into a regular candy. Properly cooked pasta should be plastic, easy to remove from the container.
- Checking the readiness of the paste by its color, taking into account the fact that it should be transparent in a golden brown tone.
- Constant control over all processes. To avoid distraction from them, you should prepare everything you need before preparing the paste.
- Mandatory treatment of the place of depilation. Before the procedure, you need to clean, degrease the skin and wipe it dry. After that, sprinkle it with talcum powder for better adhesion of the paste to the body and hair.
- Follow the requirements for methods of applying / removing applications or bandage, the duration of manipulation, measures to prevent subsequent irritation of the epidermis.
For the effective use of any shugaring recipe at home, personal intolerance to certain components, contraindications during pregnancy, skin diseases, and the circulatory system should be taken into account.
Therefore, it is important in each case to consult with your doctor, reputable cosmetologists.
Video recipes cooking pasta for shugaring at home
The simplest recipe for shugaring at home:
The right recipe for making paste for shugaring at home:
The intended use of the paste for each specific procedure with proper preparation allows you to verify the advantages of sugar hair removal. Following these recommendations will help to gain, and possibly increase the experience of home use of sugar caramel – a manifestation of true love for your body!