Retinoids are chemical compounds of natural or artificial origin in their properties (action) similar to vitamin A.
- What are retinoids
- The Importance of Vitamin A for the Body
- The effect of retinol on the skin
- Types of Retinoids
- Indications for use
- How to use acne-based retinoids
- Wrinkle Retinoids
- Retinoids Against Psoriasis
- Retinoids Against Warts
- Retinoids Anti Aging
- Tableted preparations: names, description and prices
- Lotions for moisturizing the skin problem with vitamin A: names, characteristics, prices
- The most popular creams and ointments with retinoids
- Retinoic Ointment
- Side effects of systemic treatment of acne with retinoids
- Retinoid videos
What are retinoids
Retinoids can be attributed to a subspecies of vitamin A. These are substances of natural or synthetic origin, which have the properties of an antioxidant and natural vitamin.
Scientists talked about the beneficial properties of retinoids in the 60s of the last century. During the study, it was proved that one of the factors for the appearance of acne on the face, acne, early aging of the skin is a lack of vitamin A and its derivatives. Since that time, cosmetology has been developing preparations and products for skin with retinoids.
The Importance of Vitamin A for the Body
Vitamin A refers to the necessary substances for the healthy functioning of the body. Its deficiency leads to serious pathologies and the risk of death.
The effect of vitamin A on individual body systems:
- Leather. The substance protects, rejuvenates and stimulates the work of epidermal cells.
- Immunity. Retinol is a powerful antioxidant. It quickly binds free radicals and protects the body. Vitamin A stimulates white blood cells to absorb and destroy microbes, as well as dead cells. The substance is involved in the organization of the protective function of the mucous membranes.
- Vision. Vitamin A is used to treat “night blindness.” So the people call the lack of the ability to see objects in poor lighting. With a lack of retinol in the eyeballs, the synthesis of the photosensitive substance stops. In old age, vitamin has the prevention of blindness and cataracts.
The effect of retinol on the skin
Retinol differs from natural vitamin A in its structure, but their skin effects are similar:
- Slowing the proliferation of epithelial cells in the sebaceous glands. Stimulation of the normal outflow of secretion.
- Prevention of photoaging.
- Strengthening the matrix of cells. This can be achieved by stimulating new collagen compounds and inhibiting the destruction of old ones.
- Peeling effect. Retinoids stimulate the renewal of the cellular composition of the skin. Cells grow and develop faster, and age and collapse more slowly. Analogues of the vitamin penetrate the cell and participate in the biological synthesis of DNA and RNA.
- The effect of antioxidant. This effect can be achieved by strengthening the cell walls.
Types of Retinoids
There are several varieties of analogues of vitamins A:
- First generation. Substances are used in medicines and cosmetics. The line is represented by various retinol esters (tretinoin, alitretinoin). Used to treat acne and against signs of skin aging.
- Second generation. These include etretinate and acitretin. The compounds are used as active substances in the treatment of psoriasis, atopic and contact dermatitis.
- Third generation. Substances are referred to as arotinoids. They do not have a similarity with the natural vitamin of origin and its structure. Get them from naphthoic or other types of acids. They have the properties of natural retinoids. Used in medicines designed to fight benign tumors and cancer.
- Fourth generation. The youngest substances. They are of artificial origin.
Indications for use
Vitamin A and its analogues retinoids are used to treat and improve skin condition in the following cases:
- any types of acne;
- fistulas of the fatty ducts of the sebaceous glands;
- age-related skin changes;
- vulgar acne;
- pink acne;
- burns and pigmentation caused by excessive exposure to the sun;
- keratization disorder;
- the appearance of various warts, etc.
Retinoids act on the skin in the same way as hormones. But, unlike the latter, they are not addictive and dangerous side effects.
There are strict contraindications to the use of retinoids in the form of vitamins or superficially:
- Pregnancy. Reception of retinoids must be stopped a month before the planned conception.
- Allergic to vitamin A, red vegetables and fruits.
- Breastfeeding (natural and synthesized analogues of vitamin A through milk penetrate the baby’s body and can cause hypervitaminosis).
- Age under 12 years.
You can use retinoids only after consulting a doctor:
- with a high level of triglycerides;
- with chronic alcoholism;
- with chronic diseases of the kidneys and liver;
- with high blood sugar;
- with pancreatitis.
How to use acne-based retinoids
Acne retinoids can be used as the main or additional means. Used externally and for internal therapy.
The effects that can be achieved when using retinoids against acne:
- tissue healing is stimulated at the cellular level, in place of acne, even large ones, scars and keratinized tissues do not appear;
- wounds and foci of inflammation heal much faster, this allows the rash to spread to healthy areas;
- the amount of sebum and sebum secretion is reduced;
- the ducts of the sebaceous glands expand, the viscosity of the secretion decreases;
- the stratum corneum exfoliates.
For mild to moderate forms of acne, it is sufficient to use retinoids externally, in the form of lotions, ointments, gels or vitamin creams. With severe skin lesions, the appearance of deep acne, fistulas, acne vulgaris, it is necessary to use the dosage forms of retinoids – tablets and capsules.
Wrinkle retinoids are used only externally. A supplement may be the natural form of retinol in the vitamin complex.
Beauticians recommend using creams and masks with retinoids even before the appearance of large age-related wrinkles.
Regular entry of the substance into the epidermis contributes to the appearance of healthier, larger cells that are less prone to destruction. The antioxidant properties are protected by age skin, which is more susceptible to the negative effects of the external environment, especially in urban air.
Anti-wrinkle retinoids act on the skin as follows:
- stimulate the division of stronger cells;
- improve their “communication” with each other;
- the level of the stratum corneum of the skin decreases;
- the structure of the deep layers of the skin is strengthened (this avoids deep wrinkles and changes in the sh
ape of the face);
- the cellular composition of the skin is updated more often.
After therapy, the skin looks healthier, denser, smoother. Any damage, including sunburn, is restored faster, without scars and pigmentation.
Retinoids Against Psoriasis
With psoriasis, the normal renewal of epidermal cells is disrupted. A large number of “extra” cells form scaly areas with redness and itching. It is completely impossible to cure psoriasis, but modern treatments can achieve long-term remissions.
Creams based on retinol analogues help to cope not with itching and redness (as hormonal gels and ointments do), but stop the very cause – excessive cell growth. Retinoids slow down their division, cleanse the skin of scales. Patients who have chosen this method of treatment must be careful.
The application of a large amount of gel (cream) or its prolonged use leads to dryness, can provoke itching and new inflammation.
Immediately after the disappearance of the plaque, treatment is suspended until exacerbation.
Retinoids Against Warts
Tablets and creams with analogues of vitamin A are used in the treatment of various types of warts in cases. When surgical removal is contraindicated, and other types of therapy do not give results. Synthetic retinoids have an effect that stops the excessive growth of epithelial cells and tissues.
Some time after the start of using the drug, the wart stops growing, and then decreases. Creams with retinoids are especially useful in the fight against benign tumors on the face and legs – flat wart. Many cosmetologists and dermatologists use tools to combat papillomas.
The best tool for fighting warts is Tazorak cream. It is applied to dry, well-moistened skin. After 15 minutes, the remaining gel must be washed off or wiped off using a lotion.
In this case, the use of other drugs is not recommended. Especially based on alcohol or organic acids.
Retinoids Anti Aging
The use of retinoids in the fight against aging is a great solution for aging skin. Beauticians recommend using creams and other makeup products with a small amount of these substances. It is best that it be natural vitamin A or a chemical compound that is as close as possible in composition and action to it.
To combat age-related skin changes, you must choose cosmetics marked “for sensitive skin.”
By increasing keratotization, they strengthen the tissue framework, the face and neck look smooth, toned and fresh. At the same time, do not overdo it and use products with a high level of synthetic retinoids. They inhibit the growth of skin epithelial cells.
Tableted preparations: names, description and prices
|Retinol Acetate||Fat soluble retinol capsules. It is used to make up for vitamin A deficiency in skin diseases (including keratosis, skin tuberculosis, eczema, chemical and thermal damage) and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.||$ 0,41 – $ 1,09.|
|Roaccutane||Isotretinoin tablets. A potent drug. Normalizes the functioning of the ducts of the sebaceous glands. Prevents vulgar and pink acne, helps eliminate the rash.||$ 22 – $ 24.|
|Erase||Capsules with isotretinoin. Reduces the activity of production of sebaceous secretion, reduces the volume of glands, prevents the “clogging” of the ducts with dead epithelial cells and keratin.||$ 18 – $ 41.|
|Aknekutan||Capsules It is used for severe skin lesions, for acne and acne, which are not amenable to other types of treatment.||$ 16 – $ 27.|
Lotions for moisturizing the skin problem with vitamin A: names, characteristics, prices
|Derma E Anti-Wrinkle Lotion||It perfectly moisturizes and softens the skin. Fights greasy shine. Unlike other agents with retinoids, it does not dry out and does not irritate. not suitable for treating acne.||$ 8 – $ 10.|
|ALPHA-BETA Retinol Lotion||It brightens the skin, eliminates pigmentation and freckles. Accelerates renewal at the cellular level, maintains a balance of sebaceous secretion. Has easy peeling properties.||$ 40.|
|Nada Lado||Recommended for problem skin. Helps to eliminate pigmentation after acne, make the skin less sensitive to sunlight, protects the epidermis from toxins and free radicals.||$ 9,52|
|DELUXE Regenerating Lotion||It perfectly tones aging skin, strengthens the walls of capillaries in the superficial and deep layers.||$ 32.|
The most popular creams and ointments with retinoids
Based on retinoids, many local preparations are made that are used in the treatment of children and adults.
The basis of the drug is isotretinoin, one of the active substances of vitamin A. It is independently synthesized by the body, but a lack of substance leads to skin diseases.
The drug is recommended for the treatment of acne, seborrhea, acne vulgaris, which are not amenable to other methods of therapy. A distinctive feature of the drug is that it can be used even with very oily skin.
Do not use for pregnant and lactating women.
The drug to eliminate acne, which is produced by a French company in 2 forms: gel and cream. The active substance is adaptal. It is a synthetic analogue of retinoic acid.
The action of the drug is aimed at preventing acne, dryness and peeling, stopping keratinization of skin cells. Differin acts directly on the epithelium of the facial hair follicles.
You can use cream and gel from the age of 12. The drug will help to cope with the problem of acne on the face during adolescence, it also goes well with other cosmetics.
It can not be used for allergic and atopic dermatitis, eczema.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
The drug, produced in the form of a gel and cream, has the same active substance – tazarotene, a synthetic analogue of vitamin A. Most often it is used in chronic inflammatory skin diseases with frequent remissions. Less commonly, to eliminate acne and signs of aging.
The effectiveness of Tazaroten is compared with hormonal medicines for the skin, but, unlike them, it is safer and not addictive.
During exposure to acne, Tazaroten soothes the skin, stimulates the basic functions of cells. Ointment quickly stops inflammation: relieves redness and swelling. With prolonged use, the substance restores the normal functioning of the glands in the production of fat.
The drug can only be used in combination with moisturizers or gels. Treatment should be started with daily application (2-3 weeks). Allowed from 12 years old.
Can not be used by pregnant women and people with a high sensitivity to ultraviolet radiation.
Effective imported drug. The active substance is tretinoin. one form of vitamin A that exists as a carboxylic acid. The main objective of Retin-A is to accelerate cell renewal. It is used not only to combat acne, but also to improve skin smoothness and reduce wrinkles.
You can apply the product only on dry skin. It should not have cracks, cuts or irritation. There is a negative effect of Retin-A on overdried and flaky areas of the face.
The product for the skin increases its susceptibility to sunlight. During the treatment of acne, it is necessary to use sunscreen, wear glasses with UV protection and abandon natural tanning and visiting the solarium.
Tazorac gel contains the active ingredient tazarotin. He is a member of the acetylene class of retinoids. It is indicated for the treatment of moderate to mild acne vulgaris.
Unlike other drugs with retinoids, it does not cause hypersensitivity to sunlight, can be used in the summer without limiting being outdoors.
The basis of the drug is isotretinoin – a natural analogue of vitamin A, which is synthesized by the human body. In most cases, the body does not have enough of its “reserve” and it is necessary to resort to pharmacy substitutes.
- Dibunol – a powerful antioxidant, used for serious skin damage;
- butyloxyanisole – a drug to slow down oxidative reactions in the dermis;
- Vaseline – a means for additional moisturizing, softening and protecting the skin.
The effect that retinoic ointment has:
- Cleanses the skin from dead tissue and cells. The dead material does not clog the sebaceous ducts and pores, which prevents the formation of new acne.
- Slows down the secretion of the sebaceous glands.
- It removes inflammation and swelling of tissues in the area of rashes.
- It has a regenerative effect. Helps tissues recover fully without scarring and scarring.
Before applying the skin must be cleaned, but without the use of peeling or scrub. The effect of the ointment on damaged skin leads to irritation and allergic rashes. When treating acne, it is recommended to apply the product exclusively to problem areas. The remnants of the product are washed off after half an hour. During treatment, retinoic ointment should not be sunbathed.
Ointment can not be combined with certain antibiotics, used for infectious and allergic skin diseases.
Side effects of systemic treatment of acne with retinoids
The most severe side effects are observed during pregnancy. The embryo has serious malformations that are incompatible with life, external deformities and impaired functioning of internal organs. Therefore, the use of substances in any form to pregnant and planning to conceive is strictly prohibited.
Side effects that occur during retinoid treatment at any dosage and methods of use:
- a decrease in the number of white blood cells;
- the risk of cholesterol plaques;
- decrease in red blood cells, impaired digestibility of iron;
- hanging levels of liver enzymes;
- the appearance of headaches, pain in muscles, joints, during physical exertion;
- high sensitivity to the rays of the sun.
Retinoids in case of an overdose cause:
- thinning and dry skin;
- inflammation on the lips and mucous membranes;
- flaky patches on the palms and feet;
- eye pain with contact lenses;
- bleeding on the mucous membranes;
- deterioration of hair condition.
During treatment with retinoids, special care is required for the skin. Make-up should be limited, and care products should only be marked “for sensitive skin”. Soaps, gels and alcohol products should be excluded. It is necessary to use sunscreens in any weather, wear glasses with maximum protection from ultraviolet radiation.
Retinoids, when used properly, will help to cope even with severe acne and other skin diseases.
How and when to apply retinoids, features of application: