For human health, the balance of micro and macro elements in the body is important. In the pharmacy you can see many drugs that contain potassium in their composition – these are multivitamin complexes, and drugs containing a combination of potassium and magnesium, and drugs that include only potassium. But why the body needs potassium and what is its daily intake, not many people know.
- Why does the body need potassium
- Symptoms and causes of potassium deficiency
- Symptoms and causes of excess potassium
- What is the norm of potassium in the blood of a woman, man, child
- Potassium for sports
- The relationship of potassium and sodium
- How much potassium should be consumed daily
- Which foods contain the most potassium
- Potassium-containing foods – table
- Good Food & Nutrition Tips
- Potassium mixture – recipe
- Vitamin preparations containing potassium
- How to take it correctly – instructions for use
- What prevents potassium absorption
- Video about potassium for the body
Why does the body need potassium
Potassium is considered a “cardiac” element that contributes to the normal functioning of the heart, it:
- normalizes heart rate;
- strengthens the heart muscle;
- participates in the prevention of atherosclerosis;
- normalizes blood pressure;
- improves the functioning of the vascular system.
If we consider the effect of potassium in general, then when it is taken:
- the condition of the liver and kidneys improves;
- swelling is prevented;
- problems with urination are eliminated;
- depressive states disappear;
- brain cells are better supplied with oxygen;
- toxins come out of the body and allergic reactions disappear.
Symptoms and causes of potassium deficiency
There are a number of symptoms by which you can determine the lack of potassium:
- interruptions in the work of the heart;
- muscle pain
- labored breathing;
- state of apathy;
- low urine output
- swelling of the extremities.
The main causes of potassium deficiency are:
- lack of balance in nutrition;
- prolonged bowel upset;
- incessant vomiting;
- unexplained sweating;
- violation of the adrenal glands;
- the use of hormonal drugs (triamcinolone, betamethasone, methylprednisalone);
- taking diuretics, laxatives;
- anorexia, bulimia;
- genetic changes (Cushing’s syndrome, Liddle);
Symptoms and causes of excess potassium
Potassium deficiency is not the only problem that may be; potassium in the body may, on the contrary, be too much. This condition is called hyperkalemia.
It is important to remember that only a biochemical blood test will help to identify this disease in the human body.
Symptoms of this ailment are:
- decreased excitability of cells (depolarization);
- irregular heartbeats;
- heart failure;
- restless state;
- glucose intolerance;
- kidney disease
- abnormal blood pressure in the kidneys;
- intestinal paresis (impaired motor activity and tone of the intestinal wall);
- fast fatiguability;
- peptic ulcer (gastritis).
A large number of diseases and not only relate to the causes of increased potassium in the blood:
- all types of necrosis (toxic, traumatic, trophoneurotic);
- metabolic acidosis;
- hyperglycemia (insulin deficiency);
- increased permeability of the outer cell membranes (anaphylactic shock);
- hormonal disorders;
- excretion of the excretory system;
- excessive use of drugs containing potassium;
- glycosidic intoxication;
- blood transfusion;
- lupus nephritis;
- severe genetic diseases (hyperkalemia paralysis).
What is the norm of potassium in the blood of a woman, man, child
The rate of potassium in human blood depends on many factors:
- place of residence.
Based on this, there are average potassium levels:
- in children under the age of 1 year, 4.0-5.4 mmol / l;
- the potassium content in a child from 1 year to 15 years is 3.3-4.8 mmol / l;
- 15-18 years old – 3.3-4.8 mmol / l;
- for men and women 3.4-5.6 mmol / l.
Scientists know that during pregnancy, the potassium indicator in women changes relative to the period, and after childbirth it decreases sharply due to a large loss of blood. Also, women over 50 need to monitor the level of potassium, which is sharply reduced. For men, critical age is 60 years and older.
Potassium for sports
Potassium (why does the body need this trace element every person should know) is important for people with an active lifestyle. Foods high in this element are the main source of energy. During intense physical activity, the cardiovascular system experiences an increased load, and potassium is excreted with sweat.
But potassium deficiency in the body is unacceptable, since it is this element that prevents the occurrence of heart diseases (stroke, heart attack), muscle cramps, and helps to restore strength after training. It is very useful to use sports drinks enriched with this component.
The relationship of potassium and sodium
Why the body needs potassium, an analysis of the relationship of this element with sodium will help to understand. Potassium and sodium are interconnected in biochemical processes. They have the opposite effect on water metabolism: potassium has a diuretic effect, sodium retains water.
If the diet is dominated by foods with a high content of potassium, then sodium becomes more. And if you consume more sodium, then potassium is excreted, metabolic products remain. In a healthy body, trace elements balance each other, but in the life of a modern person, everything is different.
The use of products containing potassium has decreased significantly. An increased background of sodium is observed, this leads to problems of the cardiovascular system, brain, and the general condition worsens.
Unlike sodium, potassium is excreted in the urine, this is due to evolution. The nature of the opportunity to retain sodium in the body, but waste potassium. Therefore, a lack of sodium is easier to cope with than an overabundance. The balance of potassium and sodium is achieved by proper nutrition.
How much potassium should be consumed daily
The approximate dose of potassium for an adult is 1.2-2.5 g. During pregnancy, the potassium norm increases and can reach 2–3.5 g. The child norm is 16-30 mg pe
r 2 pounds of muscle mass.
To prevent health problems, it is necessary to adhere to a ratio of potassium and sodium 1: 2. Do not exceed the generally accepted norms of the elements in diseases, you should consult a doctor for advice.
Which foods contain the most potassium
Honey and apple cider vinegar are considered favorites in potassium content.
The following places were distributed as follows:
- wheat bran;
- dried apricots;
- walnut and pine nuts;
- Brussels sprouts;
- Red pepper;
- White mushrooms;
Potassium-containing foods – table
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Good Food & Nutrition Tips
How useful nutrients are preserved in food depends on the cooking temperature, oxygen supply, and acidity of the dish. With prolonged exposure to high temperatures, vitamins are destroyed. In particular, this applies to potassium.
The lower the cooking temperature, the better. It is best to eat raw foods if possible.
But in general it should:
- cook food at a temperature below 50 – 32°F;
- use a slow cooker;
- try not to use a microwave oven (the structure of food is changing);
- refuse fried foods;
- do not consume large amounts of vegetable oil.
Potassium mixture – recipe
How potassium acts on the body, why is it needed, what products contain it, how to prepare a medicinal mixture – all this must be known in order to get rid of various diseases associated with a lack of potassium in the body. An example of such a vitamin cocktail is a dried fruit potassium mixture used for the treatment and prevention of heart disease.
The composition of the mixture includes:
- dried apricots;
Dried fruits and nuts contain a lot of potassium, so heart function improves, arrhythmia disappears. They are effective in the fight against atherosclerosis, hypertension. Prunes have a tonic effect, is a prophylactic against oncology. Dried apricots is good for vision, improves the condition of blood vessels. Honey is a universal remedy for all diseases.
For cooking, you need to take the ingredients in the following proportions:
- 200 g of prunes;
- 200 g of raisins;
- 200 g dried apricots;
- 200 g of nuts;
All components are thoroughly washed and steamed, then scrolled in a meat grinder, add 300 g of honey. Close the resulting mixture tightly with a lid and store in the refrigerator. Take it should be 1 tablespoon. 3 times a day after meals, children need only one intake per day.
Vitamin preparations containing potassium
To replenish the body with potassium, take vitamin complexes, for what the body needs them, what benefits are indicated in the list:
- Dopelhertz Asset helps the body to replenish deficient substances, restores health, improves mood, overall well-being. The daily potassium content is 600 mg. It is used as an additional source of biologically necessary substances.
- Vitrum Centuria is a combined preparation containing all the necessary substances for people aged 50 years. Each rage of potassium contains 80 mg.
- Theravit Antistress is a complex multivitamin preparation consisting of microelements and extracts of medicinal plants. Budget drug with the necessary potassium content of 80 mg.
- Asparkam is an indispensable source of potassium (175 mg) and magnesium, improves metabolic processes, restores the electrolyte process.
- Panangin regulates metabolic reactions, has an antiarrhythmic effect, participates in synoptic transmission. Potassium contains 45.2 mg.
- Vitrum and Vitrum plus. It is used in the recovery period after viral and infectious diseases, during periods of increased mental and physical stress, sports training, and poorly balanced nutrition. The potassium content in one tablet is 40 mg.
- Potassium chloride Available in ampoules. 0,03 fluid ounce of the solution contains 40 mg of potassium. It is indicated for use in hypokalemia caused by conditions that contribute to the excretion of potassium from the body, also with arrhythmia,
- Kudesan with potassium and magnesium. The drug line of products under the general name “Kudesan.” One tablet contains 97 mg of potassium. The tool has been successfully used to treat high blood pressure and diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- A drug that also contains a combination of potassium and magnesium. Designed to normalize the balance of electrolytes in the human body. In addition, it normalizes heart rate, lowers blood pressure, supports water-salt metabolism and prevents the deposition of cholesterol. In one tablet, 100 mg of potassium.
- Basiko Concentrate from Nahrin. The drug belongs to the category of dietary supplements. Designed to replenish the balance of trace elements. It is indicated for cardiovascular diseases, bone fractures, allergies, osteoporosis, kidney diseases, gastrointestinal ulcers, skin diseases, urolithiasis, etc.
- Potassium orotate. One tablet contains 500 mg of potassium orotate. It is used for muscle listrophy, heart diseases, including insufficiency, heart attack, diseases of the liver and urinary system, dermatological diseases.
Centrum. A complex preparation, including vitamins and minerals. Contains 40 mg of potassium. It is used to prevent hypovitaminosis, after antibiotic therapy, long-term infectious diseases, a
- Vitalux Plus . Refers to dietary supplements. Accepted for eye diseases, such as retinal dystrophy. But it can also be used as an additional source of vitamins. It contains most of the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Pamaton. The drug is based on potassium and magnesium. Available in the form of a solution and tablets. Indications for use: arrhythmias on the background of myocardial infarction and other problems with the cardiovascular system,
- Aspacard. 1 tablet contains 36.2 mg of pure potassium. Interferes with arrhythmias. Helps to reduce the concentration of sodium and increase the concentration of potassium in the body. Used for heart failure and hypokalemia.
- Orokamag. It is used for angina pectoris, extrasystole as part of complex therapy. 1 tablet contains 125 mg of potassium orotate and the same amount of magnesium orotate.
- Aspartinate. Available as an infusion solution. In 0,3 gallon of solution contains 10017 g of potassium DL-asparaginate. The drug improves blood flow, due to the expansion of arteries, the permeability of cell structures for macronutrients.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bangs of the new season for medium, short, long hair. Photo.
How to take it correctly – instructions for use
In order to get the long-awaited benefits of potassium for the body, you need to carefully study the instructions for use.
More people do not need potassium-based drugs unless diuretics are used. You should always strive to make up for the deficiency of this element, but the daily dose should not exceed 500 mg.
Patients taking various inhibitors should not take potassium. To prevent stomach irritation, potassium should be taken during food intake.
Many doctors believe that there is no particular need for the use of potassium supplements. The deficit can be filled only by consuming a sufficient amount of products containing potassium.
If you missed the drug, you should take the next pill, according to the schedule, you can not double the dose sharply. Finish potassium intake only after consulting a doctor.
It should be borne in mind that potassium is also found in consumed products, this is very important, since an overdose of the element is possible. Potassium is taken orally by 0,5 – 0,7 fluid ounce 3-4 times a day (in case of urgent need, a dose increase to 4,06 fluid ounce is possible), as well as dropwise up to 2.5 g in a 5% glucose solution, 1 g to 7 times a day.
What prevents potassium absorption
Potassium interacts very easily with various substances, but there are a number of conditions that complicate the absorption of an element:
- sugar syrups;
- colchicine, cortisone;
- Vitamin B6
- hormonal drugs;
- strict diet;
- lack of magnesium;
- the use of smoked meats, canned food.
Potassium is one of the necessary elements in the human body. It maintains a balance of water and other substances – this is why the body needs it.
Since potassium is able to quickly be excreted from the body, it is necessary to replenish its balance with the help of a properly selected diet or taking medications containing potassium. But it is important to observe the dosage, since an excess of potassium in the body causes serious side effects.
Video about potassium for the body
The role of potassium in the body:
Potassium – Health Benefits: