It is difficult to imagine a beauty salon or a clinic of cosmetic medicine, in which there would be no such procedure as lymphatic drainage massage.
It is shown to almost any modern person suffering from stress, mental overload, malnutrition and other adverse factors. Contraindications apply only to severe and acute conditions, otherwise the massage has a tremendous therapeutic and relaxing effect.
- Indications and contraindications
- Massage effect
- Types and techniques of massage
- Hardware massage
- Features of manual massage
- Lymphatic drainage massage for facial rejuvenation
- Japanese Asahi technique
- Massage preparation
- The right home massage technique
- Common mistakes
- Lymphatic drainage body massage
- Foot massage
- Honey Procedure
- Wrap Massage
- The best oils for massage treatments
- Treatment duration
- How often can i do
- Procedure cost
- Possible complications and side effects
- Video about lymphatic drainage massage
Indications and contraindications
Lymph nodes are the protective barriers of our body that delay, neutralize and remove toxic substances, germs and viruses.
Lymph is a special liquid connective tissue, the functional task of which is to ensure the output of cellular metabolism products into the bloodstream. Manual and hardware lymphatic drainage stimulates the lymphatic system, facilitating the movement of lymph through the vessels.
For healthy people, the procedure does not pose a threat, but there are a number of chronic or acute conditions when it is strictly contraindicated. Information regarding the indications and contraindications for lymphatic drainage massage should be examined. In any case, the decision to conduct a massage should be made by a qualified doctor, taking into account the collected history.
The main indications for the procedure:
- Swelling, stagnation of intercellular fluid in the tissues.
- Difficult fluid circulation in the lower extremities (for example, in late pregnancy).
- Malfunctions in metabolic processes or the functioning of the lymphatic drainage system.
- Detoxification of the body.
- Correction of a figure.
- Diseases of the skin, violation of the integrity of the skin.
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes.
- Infectious diseases, high body temperature, fever.
- The presence of benign tumors or other oncological diseases. Massage can trigger the growth of pathological formations and the spread of cancer cells throughout the body.
- Severe mental conditions, very fast excitability of the nervous system, epilepsy.
- In the first trimester of pregnancy and during lactation. In 2-3 trimesters, lymphatic drainage of the lower extremities is permissible if a woman suffers from swelling.
After lactation, the procedure will be very useful for those who want to improve skin tone in problem areas and quickly restore the figure after childbirth.
- With internal bleeding or the possibility of their occurrence.
- Cardiovascular diseases, such as: hypotonic and hypertensive crisis, pulmonary heart disease, vascular sclerosis. During the procedure, blood flow increases and the load on the heart and blood vessels increases, which can cause complications.
- With thrombophlebitis, increased blood flow can cause a blood clot to break off and a blockage of the vessel. Massage is possible at the discretion of the doctor for some diseases of the veins of the lower extremities, but not more than 1 time per week.
- With osteoporosis, tuberculosis.
The first sensation after the session is the ease and absence of the usual tension in the body. After the massage, swelling decreases or completely disappears.
After a course of 10-15 procedures, the following positive changes are observed:
- Body weight decreases, mainly due to subsiding puffiness.
- Chronic fatigue and headaches recede.
- The integuments acquire a more even and healthy shade, their elasticity improves.
- Increases the body’s immune defense and normalizes metabolism.
Types and techniques of massage
Manual techniques are performed by measured massaging movements of problem areas of the body:
- superficial massage – allows you to relax muscles and stimulate small capillaries, relieves swelling;
- deep – manipulations provide outflow of fluid at a deeper level, the work of lymphatic vessels is stimulated;
- internal massage – aimed at stimulating the lymph nodes.
Hardware techniques are based on the action of low frequency electrical pulses or air pressure.
- pressure therapy;
- vacuum lymphatic drainage;
- microcurrent lymphatic drainage.
Hardware lymphatic drainage massage is a physiotherapeutic procedure that accelerates the movement of lymph. A ban on the procedure is added to standard contraindications if the patient has a pacemaker, a metal implant or intolerance to electric current.
- Pressotherapy – the principle of therapy is to alternately supply compressed air to a compression suit, the chambers of which are worn on the legs, arms, stomach and buttocks. The session lasts 30 minutes, the full course consists of 15 sessions, which are attended after 2 days.
- Vacuum lymphatic drainage – certain areas of the body are affected by rarefied air through a lymphatic drainage tube. The device is attached to the body with a round glass nozzle, which is smoothly moved along the required areas along the lymphatic lines. Duration – 30 minutes. The entire course is 15 procedures with interruptions of several days.
- Microcurrent lymphatic drainage – the influence of a low-frequency current relaxes muscle fibers and blood vessel walls, accelerating metabolic processes in tissues. The procedure is not accompanied by pain or discomfort, duration up to 15 minutes, course duration – 15 procedures.
Features of manual massage
The meaning of both methods (hardware and manual) is the same: to improve the lymph flow and free tissues from accumulated fluid, and with it from toxins and products of cellular metabolism. The result, quality and lack of side effects are largely dependent on the skill of the master.
The manual procedure is as follows: the masseur smoothly moves from one area on the body, where the lymph nodes are located to another, gently pushing these areas with your palms. To stimulate uniform movement and outflow of lymph, massage is performed, starting from the lower extremities, in the upward direction. In the middle of the session, the intensity of the clicks is enhanced.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Lymphatic drainage massage for facial rejuvenation
Many women in the modern world are exposed to daily stress at work and at home. Adverse environmental factors, bad habits and internal contradictions immediately affect the face. The skin ages quickly, a net of wrinkles appears, swelling and bags under the eyes; nasolabial folds and the “second chin” become more visible.
visit the beauty salon there is neither time nor energy – we suggest independently mastering one of the massage techniques (for example, Japanese face massage Zogan (Asahi), which will be discussed below). Even one half-hour procedure will give the face a more fresh and healthy look.
The main effects of therapy:
- lymph flow improves, swelling subsides;
- skin tone significantly increases, its color and appearance improves;
- small wrinkles disappear, wrinkles on the neck and nasolabial creases are smoothed out;
- fat deposits on the neck are reduced;
- the corners of the eyes are lifted;
- stroking massage lines have a calming effect on the nervous system.
Facial rejuvenation is acceptable even for pregnant women, who often in the late stages suffer from swelling.
The massage technology is based on the skill of the master: it is very important to know the location of the lymph nodes and lines along which stroking is performed. An interesting fact: the lines of lymph flow, in contrast to standard massage lines, are directed at an angle and down.
In addition to stroking, the master applies pulsating, rhythmic techniques and light pressure in the area of the lymph nodes, which are located near the wings of the nose, on the neck, behind the ears and even on the back of the head. Massage takes about 30 minutes.
Japanese Asahi technique
Asahi’s lymphatic drainage massage technique (ZOGAN-massage, two-finger massage) is a hereditary Japanese technique, which was introduced into fashion around the world by the stylist Yukuko Tanako.
This technique is not just an ordinary technique, but a whole gymnastic complex for preserving the youth of the face, tightening the facial muscles, removing morning swelling and osteopathic correction.
Any woman who at least once tries Asahi’s technique will notice significant changes at the end of the procedure. After several sessions, you can gallon return to 7-10 years ago – the structure of the skin improves so significantly and the loose muscles come into tone.
Like other eastern techniques, Asahi’s technique involves quite intense pressure and patting. The author of the technique claims that it can be successfully performed independently at home. We offer to take note!
- Before the session, take a shower or bath, cleansing the skin with a scrub.
- For the duration of the course of procedures, it is worth abandoning bad habits, such as drinking alcohol and tobacco.
- The last meal should be a maximum of 3 hours before bedtime. Before going to bed, limit the amount of fluid.
- Massage is best done in the evening.
The right home massage technique
Lymphatic drainage massage, the indications and contraindications of which should be known to everyone, so as not to harm their own health, can be carried out at home. For this, it is necessary to study the implementation technique and the rules of the procedure, depending on the area of the body.
The duration of the home session is reduced to 30 minutes and only the simplest techniques are used.
It is necessary to cleanse the skin of cosmetics and sebum, as well as moisturize it with a massage agent before starting the session. They try to observe the massage scheme (it can be found on the Internet) in strict sequence.
- The fingers are put together and placed in the middle of the forehead. With light pressure, part the brushes towards the temples, dropping to the chin. Repeat this movement 3 times.
- The index and middle fingers are placed under the superciliary arches at the inner corner of the eye. Gently hold the fingertips under the eyebrows towards the outer corners of the eyes. (3 times)
- The pads of the two fingers are located at the inner corners under the eyes and smoothly hold them towards the temples. (3 times)
- The pads of two fingers move from the middle of the chin, through the corners of the lips to the earlobes, then from the dimple above the lip towards the temples. (3 times)
- Gently massage the chin in a circular motion of the fingers.
These simple exercises are performed regularly in the morning.
It is unacceptable to carry out too intense and hard pressure on problem areas of the body. Rough manipulations lead to damage to small capillaries, which lie close to the surface of the skin, therefore, to bruising.
Hand movements during massage should be smooth, wavy and circular, and not chaotic or choppy. A person should not experience pain and cramps.
By the middle of the course, the intensity of pressing can be evenly increased, taking into account individual characteristics, age and gender of the patient. Regardless of the circumstances, only light manipulations are allowed in the first sessions.
Lymphatic drainage body massage
Lymphatic drainage massage for any area of the body is preferably performed by a qualified specialist. Perform a massage from 40 to 90 minutes, depending on the techniques used and the problem area.
At the preparatory stage, the patient is placed on the couch, the required area of the skin is cleaned of impurities and a massage agent is applied to it. Before starting hardware therapy, it is recommended to warm the skin surface with stroking manual techniques.
All conditions must be created in the room for maximum relaxation of the patient.
The rules of execution are not too different from the classical methodology. At the beginning of the session, the specialist stimulates the lymph nodes with light pressure, smoothly moving in the direction of the lymph flow to the nearest lymph nodes. All movements should be smooth and undulating, the intensity of pressing increases, starting from the middle of the session.
In conclusion, the skin is cleaned of the remnants of a massage product and moisturized with milk or a nourishing cream.
With varicose veins, outflow of lymph in the lower extremities is difficult. This disease provokes: overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes or high-heeled shoes. Varicose veins often accompany the last trimester of pregnancy.
Massage is performed in the following sequence:
- Cream or oil is applied to the entire surface of the leg, starting from the knee, massaging the upper part of the leg with light movements. Through manipulation, the blood will rise faster towards the heart.
- Massage lines are directed from the bottom up. You should not strongly massage the surface near the varicose vein, it is enough to perform several stroking movements along the lateral surface of the leg, leaving the inflamed veins aside.
- The calf muscle is kneaded for a long time and carefully, alternating with intensive kneading techniques with stroking.
This type of massage is perfect if you need to urgently get rid of bags under the eyes after lack of sleep or fatigue. Honey acts as a nutritious auxiliary mask that adsorbs toxins and metabolic products of the upper layer of the skin. After several sessions, the skin will smooth out, become soft and smooth, and overall health will improve.
Honey is successfully combined with aromatic oils. A mixture of honey and oil is applied to the locations of the lymph nodes (forearms, thighs and abdomen), and then light wavy and patting movements are performed.
This is followed by slight jerky patting movements on problem areas until the applied mixture rolls into dark spools. Such manipulations well restore sagging skin in the postpartum period.
Lymphatic drainage wrap is a modern salon procedure that can be performed at home.
It is intended for:
- improving the appearance of the skin;
- removal of harmful substances through the pores;
- fight against excess weight;
- fat breakdown;
- resorption of anti-cellulite seals.
Positive changes occur due to the acceleration of metabolism in subcutaneous fat. In combination with massage, the procedure strengthens the walls of blood vessels, the outflow of excess lymph occurs.
It is contraindicated for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases, women with gynecological problems and pregnant women . There are differences in the method of applying the mixtures: the wrap is cold, hot and isothermal, general or zonal.
A “hot” variety is carried out only after medical consultation, since it provokes vasodilation and accelerated blood circulation. Cold wrap is designed for women with varicose veins on their legs. Supporting materials for the procedure: cosmetic clay, algae or chocolate.
During the course of the wraps course, it is better to give up alcohol, smoking tobacco, drinking green and black tea. It is better to replace the listed drinks with clean water.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
The best oils for massage treatments
The best choice will be an essential oil or anti-cellulite cream:
- Planeta Organica – Anti-cellulite mix oil for massage.
- Shea butter unrefined. Helps restore the elasticity of the epidermis.
- Unrefined green coffee oil. Prevents the appearance of stretch marks, nourishes and smoothes the skin.
- Grape seed massage oil. It has a moisturizing and firming effect.
- Natural coconut oil. Great for everyday skin care.
- Argan cosmetic oil is suitable for any skin type.
The optimal duration of the procedure depends on the exposure zone:
- face – 20-40 minutes;
- the whole body – 1.5-2 hours;
- legs – 20-30 minutes.
How often can i do
Lymphatic drainage massage has medical contraindications. The duration of the course is prescribed by the doctor, based on the individual characteristics of the body, general health and current problems.
Average course duration:
- face – 10-12 procedures;
- the whole body – 8-20 procedures;
- legs – 6-14 procedures.
Massage is carried out 2-3 times a week. To alleviate the condition of tired and swollen legs, 2 procedures are performed per week.
In clinics and beauty salons in New York, the approximate cost of the procedure is from $ 18 – $ 54.
Possible complications and side effects
Lymphatic drainage massage, the indications and contraindications for which are strictly individual, in the absence of initial contraindications, does not cause complications. There are cases when, after hardware manipulations, small bruises appear on the skin.
A similar reaction of the body occurs in smokers because of the fragility of the vessels to which they are susceptible, but the bruising quickly passes without causing cosmetic inconvenience. If you are overweight, some pain is felt during the massage.
The lymphatic system performs the function of neutralizing and removing toxic substances from the body.
Lymphatic drainage massage can significantly accelerate the outflow of lymph from the intercellular space, it is indicated to reduce swelling in the areas under the eyes or in the lower extremities (it is contraindicated in infectious diseases of the respiratory tract and thrombophlebitis of the lower extremities) With the help of classical massage technique it is impossible to achieve such significant results.
Video about lymphatic drainage massage
How to do lymphatic drainage facial massage: