Kinesio taping, or kinesiote taping, is a technique that encompasses the use of special tapes for impaired musculoskeletal function. This concept is formed by two terms – kinesio (movement) and tape (tape).
Depending on the application technique, the color and structure of the ribbons, the modern method of taping is used in many areas and helps to cope with various medical and aesthetic problems. Before using the technique in a particular situation, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules for applying tapes, the mechanism of action, indications and contraindications.
- What is taping and taping
- What does the color of teips mean
- The difference between kinesiotape and hard taping
- The main areas of us e of kinesiotherapy
- The principle of kinesiotherapy and effects from the application
- Various kinesiological teip options
- Taping technique
- Lifting method
- Vector taping
- Lymphatic drainage
- How to prepare for the procedure
- Schemes and rules of aesthetic taping of the face and neck
- Taping to get rid of nasolabial folds and cheekbones
- Wrinkles around the eyes
- From horizontal forehead wrinkles
- From eyebrow wrinkles
- From brylya to tighten the oval face
- Wrinkles around the mouth
- Lymphatic drainage face taping
- How to take off
- Rectangular I-tape
- Fan-shaped Lymph-Tape
- Kinesiotape Video
What is taping and taping
Kinesiotherapy is such an effective tool used in medical therapy, preventive measures, aesthetic cosmetology. The main feature of the method is the use of a special colored tape – teip, which is superimposed on problem areas, fixing in the right direction, without blocking the work of muscles.
Tapes for teiping are made of natural materials – silk, nylon or 100% cotton. On the inside of the tape, resembling a patch, an adhesive layer is applied that does not contain toxic or medicinal products. Due to the special structure, the tape is flexible, stretches and firmly fixed in the right direction.
The teip on the body is almost imperceptible, the overlay is fixed in the problem area for several 3-7 days, continuing to actively engage in everyday activities, sports, swimming without restrictions and unpleasant restraint of movements. In the process of round-the-clock kinesiotherapy, there is a positive effect and a therapeutic effect, mobilizing and improving the body’s natural reserves.
As a result of a correctly selected application technique, it is possible to suppress pain syndrome for a short time, restore microcirculation, improve lymph outflow, relieve swelling and resulting muscle hypertonicity, and simulate tissue repair processes.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
What does the color of teips mean
For kinesiotherapy, colored tapes with an adhesive base are used. According to experts, color therapy has a positive physiological effect, each color causes various associations and emotions that accelerate the recovery process and enhance the healing effect. Therefore, the choice of teip color for procedures is one of the main criteria.
Manufacturers offer teips in several shades:
- brown, beige color – tapes merge with the skin as much as possible, imperceptible on the body, have stabilizing properties;
- black – are used for water sports, have a warming effect and are better kept in water;
- blue, blue color – cool, soothe, provide a relaxing effect, contribute to a speedy recovery;
- green – beneficial for the psyche, natural color, provides accelerated regeneration and restoration of balance in the body;
- red – with a warming effect to stimulate anti-inflammatory processes, replenish energy reserves;
- pink – to improve a positive mood, associated with lightness, youth, freshness;
- yellow, orange – sunny shades with a warming effect, to stimulate recovery, energy charge and receive positive emotions;
- violet color – with a neutral physiological effect, the color symbolizes wisdom, peace.
Manufacturers offer teips with original designer prints. Unusual stylish ribbons evoke vivid emotions, creating a good mood, which contributes to a speedy recovery. According to many, the color of teip is not decisive, only the psychological attitude and aesthetic differences of the ribbons.
As practice shows, with frequent contact with moisture, when practicing water sports, dark-colored kinesiotopes are more reliably held on the body.
The difference between kinesiotape and hard taping
Kinesiotherapy is such a tool for preventive therapy and treatment, covering several types of techniques. There are 2 main methods – kinesiotape and hard taping. The methods are largely similar, in both cases the application of teips on problem areas is applied.
Despite the general orientation of the techniques, there are several fundamental differences between the types of taping, which can be considered through a list of basic criteria for choosing the type of procedure.
|Task||Help with recovery, improved microcirculation, lymph outflow||Complete immobilization, compression of the damaged area|
|Type of fixation||Gentle, while maintaining the mobility of the damaged area||Full, with immobilization of muscles in the damaged area|
|Type of teip||Elastic with one-way stretch||Rigid, non-stretching, similar to a standard adhesive plaster|
|the effect||The increase in interstitial space, modeling the pattern of movement, a positive change in muscle tone||Relieving pain, stabilizing joints, preventing the development of severe edema|
Hard taping is also called sports. The method is used both as a therapeutic and preventive measure. For example, in competitions, athletes fix the ankle or other stretched parts of the body by applying a hard teip. This technique allows you to provide comfort and avoid serious injury.
Kinesiotape – a technique using elastic multi-colored ribbons with reflex and mechanical type of exposure.
The technology of applying tapes stretching in one direction allows you to reduce the severity of pain and control muscle tone in the problem area.
The main areas of us
e of kinesiotherapy
The modern method of kinesiotherapy has found effective application in various fields. Until recently, the technique was used exclusively in the field of sports medicine for the treatment and rehabilitation after injuries.
Thanks to the versatile positive impact, today the method of applying teips effectively works in many areas, it is actively used by specialists.
- in the field of lymphology;
- for the prevention of the development and physiology of scoliosis in children and adults;
- with cerebral palsy, treatment of valgus and other musculoskeletal pathologies;
- in treatment, facilitation of rehabilitation after various types of injuries;
- pediatrics and orthopedics;
- in manual therapy;
- in the field of sports stabilization, therapy;
- in neurology, post-stroke rehabilitation;
- in the field of maxillofacial therapy for the correction of dysfunction of the temporomandibular joints;
- in the field of aesthetic cosmetology to eliminate and prevent various defects.
A wide range of applications is due to the fact that the elastic properties of teips are identical to the elasticity of the skin. When applying tape there is a lifting effect, natural stimulation of the receptors and an immediate decrease in compression, which helps to restore and normalize the lymph flow, microcirculation.
Thanks to various techniques of applying elastic bands, it is possible to activate the body’s reserves for self-healing without the use of additional therapy with drugs, physiotherapy, or external ointments.
Kinesiotherapy is a modern technology for the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation in the medical, sports and cosmetology sphere. Such overlapping teips allows you to activate the natural protective, restorative processes in the body without restricting freedom of movement.
Kinesiotape is a modern technique used for correction and treatment of:
- injuries of the musculoskeletal system (dislocations, bruises, sprains);
- muscle inflammation, joint damage, tendons;
- the presence of edema, hematomas, diseases of lymphedema;
- severe pain syndrome;
- Cerebral palsy, scoliosis, hernias, baby torticollis;
- cicatricial, age-related changes in the epidermis, lumbago;
- headaches, nerves;
- providing lifting of swollen areas of the face, neck;
- wrinkles, second chin;
- ptosis of facial contours, bryly;
- bone pathologies – periarthritis, arthrosis, epicolitis, osteochondrosis;
- back pain, swelling of the legs in pregnant women.
Kinesiotapeing is actively used in the field of pediatrics in children with impaired functional motility. Proper teiping allows you to quickly get rid of menstrual pain.
Kinesiotherapy is one of the therapeutic methods for rapid recovery in the postoperative period, activating the body’s natural reserves, and serves as a preventive measure against the formation of gross keloid scars.
Kinesiotherapy is a safe, relatively simple procedure. When applying elastic adhesive tapes to problem areas or areas requiring correction, complete mobility is maintained.
The method can be combined with various types of massage, cryotherapy and electrical stimulation sessions. Before using the technique, it is important not only to choose the correct method of applying teip, but also to eliminate the presence of contraindications in the patient.
The main contraindications include:
- the presence of dermatological problems in the field of application of tapes;
- allergic reactions to the constituent ingredients of the adhesive;
- infectious, mental, neurological pathologies;
- coronary heart disease or changes in the carotid artery;
- open wounds, abrasions, skin lesions of the epidermis in the area of application;
- thrombosis, deep vein thrombophlebitis;
- cancer formations, carcinomas, not diagnosed neoplasms in the area of teip application;
- with severe edema caused by pathologies of the kidneys and cardiovascular system.
Taping in the first trimester of pregnancy is not recommended; there is a likelihood of providing additional segmental organ stimulation.
With diabetes, the technique is used with caution. Application can cause an increased modified need for insulin, especially when teip is applied at the injection site of insulin.
The principle of kinesiotherapy and effects from the application
The principle of operation is to apply tapes 2 – 3’9 inch wide, 3’9 inch long to the problem, damaged or painful part. Upon contact with the skin, the adhesive layer softens, the action is activated by heating from body temperature. The application can remain on the skin for up to 7 days without restricting the freedom of movement and the adoption of water procedures.
The length of the tape can reach several tens of inch, and the form of application depends on the specifics of the damage or the characteristics of the correction zone. To achieve the desired effect, many methods of fixing teip have been developed. The method can be used as an independent therapy or as part of various preventive, therapeutic or rehabilitation programs.
A feature of the technique is the identity of the teip tension and the elastic properties of the epidermis. This property allows you to take on most of the load of damaged areas, helping to function. On the application of the methodology, there are a number of scientifically proven justifications, positive results obtained in practice.
The following effect from the use of kinesiotherapy sessions is observed:
- By tensioning the fabric tapes, the area of interstitial spaces increases inside.
- Muscle tone is changing positively, there is an effect on inter-, proprioreceptors.
- With the vector overlay techn
ique, a motion pattern is simulated.
- Active influence on the organs of associated muscles is the regulation and normalization of visceral disorders.
- With a decrease in compression, the severity of pain is significantly reduced.
- Due to the regulation of natural internal processes, there is a decrease in swelling, the elimination of signs of lymphostasis.
- Improves circulation, accelerates the healing process, resorption of hematomas.
- Due to the active effect on the muscles, ligaments, stabilization, improvement of joint functions occurs.
- Relieving internal pain by actively influencing the fascial network.
- Provides anti-inflammatory and relaxation effect for overstressed muscles by fixing the elastic tape in the damaged area.
Typically, taping is used in the treatment of various injuries at all stages, reducing pain, reducing swelling and stimulating the resorption of hematomas due to increased blood flow, also weakening muscle spasm, immobilizing and stabilizing the injured joint.
It has been experimentally proven that the method of kinesiotherapy is able to relieve stomach, headache, nervous, menstrual pain, helps pregnant women (from the second trimester) to relieve excessive load on the spine, relieving fatigue and back pain.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Various kinesiological teip options
Teips are made from cotton and acrylic. An adhesive hypoallergenic layer is applied on the inside of the tape, which ensures reliable fixation of the tape in the area of the damaged area. The tape can remain on the skin for up to 5-7 days, providing a therapeutic effect during this period.
When choosing a tape for teiping, you need to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Colour. All teips are multi-colored, the effect depends on the chosen shade or print.
- Adhesive layer. There are teip with reinforced glue, which can remain on the skin longer than the standard duration of therapy. Soft glue tapes are suitable for children and for especially sensitive skin areas.
- Structure. The basis of high-quality teip is breathable, cotton, so that the skin can breathe freely. Manufacturers also offer tapes for teiping from nylon, rayon, hypoallergenic acrylic.
- Elongation. The teip is produced pre-elongated by 15-20%. Each modification of the tape has a measure of elongation – 120-140% of the original length, after application it is pulled together.
- Manufacturing firm. Manufacturers of quality taping tapes are RockTape and BBTape. When choosing a tepe, it is important not to buy a fake, which will reduce the effectiveness of the application to 0.
- Design. All teips are designed for a specific area of application – sports injuries, the elimination of cosmetic defects, treatment of lymphoderma and relieving puffiness.
More than 50 kinesiotape variations are on sale; you can choose a modification yourself, knowing about the properties and functions of each modification.
It should be understood that improperly selected and superimposed teip can not only minimize the effect, but also exacerbate the problem.
Therefore, for effective treatment, it is worth choosing the type of tape and the method of application with the help of a specialist in taping or a doctor’s recommendation.
Kinesio taping is such a broad concept that combines several basic techniques:
In the process of correction or treatment, the most commonly used technique is lifting, lymphatic drainage, as well as vector taping. All techniques are identical at first glance, but the effect, the principle of application and the action of teip to solve a particular problem is different.
This technique is one of the main ones.
The principle consists in several rules for applying lifting applications:
- The area under the teip with the underlying tissues in the problem area rises.
- There is an increase in interstitial space with a decrease in compression in the overlay zone.
- A favorable environment is created for the activation of internal sanogenetic processes.
The procedure provides a powerful lifting effect of the problem area. There is an internal correction of all functions and natural processes, so after removing the teip, the result is saved.
One of the main methods is vector taping. The main function of the technique is the correction of muscle work. The principle is to actively simulate proprioreceptors, interoreceptors.
The bottom line is to use the tape for teiping with violations of locomotion, which allows you to change the pattern of movement.
The taping technique for lymphatic drainage helps to improve the movement of lymph, which leads to:
- normalization of microcirculation;
- activation of lymph flow;
- accelerated exchange of interstitial fluids.
The method is actively used in the treatment of lymphostasis, microcirculatory disorders, the development of hematomas, swelling, as well as other metabolic disorders, fluid transport in tissues and interstitial space.
How to prepare for the procedure
The kinesiological taping technique includes several basic techniques for applying applications with various types of kinesiotape. The choice of tapes depends on the type, severity of injuries, or the features of the corrected area.
So that the tape does not harm, there are a number of rules for preparation, so before applying the application, you must:
- conduct an adequate analysis and assessment of the condition;
- conduct a series of orthopedic tests;
- choose a teip of the desired color and with an optimal indicator of elongation;
- clean, dry and degrease the tei
p overlay area;
- to ensure better adhesion and painless removal of the application, remove hair in the problem area.
The result of taping depends on the correctly selected position and direction. Therefore, the examination and analysis of the physical condition with the necessary tests is performed by a specialist.
If a tape is applied in order to avoid injury, sprains or bruises, the preparation procedure with application must be completed in 30 minutes. before the start of sports training.
Schemes and rules of aesthetic taping of the face and neck
Kinesio taping is such a general concept that includes aesthetic taping. The technique of applying adhesive tapes to the face and neck area is used in rejuvenation programs, allowing you to perform correction of problem areas without surgical intervention.
The key to success is the choice of the optimal corrective layout and compliance with the rules of aesthetic taping.
Using sessions, you can:
- get rid of age, facial wrinkles, deep folds;
- eliminate swelling, bags under the eyes;
- level relief;
- pull up the outer corners of the eyelids;
- reduce the severity of the second chin;
- simulate the contour.
Due to the simplicity of the technique, as well as the lifting effect created by the application, you can carry out the correction yourself, without the use of expensive drugs and equipment. For one session, a visible result cannot be achieved; a daily taping course is required. Each section is adjusted according to a specific, individually selected scheme.
Taping to get rid of nasolabial folds and cheekbones
- Prepare a tape 0’4 inch wide, the length is measured individually depending on the structural features, round off the ends of the tape.
- Fix the patch anchor under the smile line (nasolabial fold), stretch the muscles, slightly blowing the cheek.
- Stick the strip up diagonally. Put 2-3 stripes on each side.
Wrinkles around the eyes
- Cut two strips 1’6 inch long, 2. 2 inch wide. The length is selected depending on the features of the face structure. Round off the corners of each element.
- Fix the end of the strip at a point at the outer edge of the eyebrow. Using your palm, gently stretch the skin slightly from the temple to the back of the head.
- Fix the strip diagonally, but without strong tension. Direction – from bottom to top to the temporal zone. Similarly apply tapes on the other side.
From horizontal forehead wrinkles
- Cut 4 strips 0’8 inch wide. Round the corners of each element.
- Fix the first teip at a point above the eyebrow, retreating a little less than 0’4 inch from the base of the line.
- The forehead tissue slightly pull up, smoothing the area of correction. Without releasing, fasten the strip without pulling. Attach the remaining strips in the same way.
From eyebrow wrinkles
- Prepare strips 2. 2 inch wide.
- Stretch the eyebrow wrinkle slightly in opposite directions.
- Attach a teip to a smooth area of the skin without pulling the fabric.
From brylya to tighten the oval face
- Cut a strip 2. 2 inch wide. Determine the length by measuring the distance under the chin from ear to ear. Approximate length – 23-25 inch. Round the corners of the teip.
- Tear the protective tape in the middle of the tape. Tighten the skin by pulling the lower lip onto the upper. In the area of the ears, also pull the skin up a little.
- Glue the tent without tension under the chin, securing the ends in the parotid.
Wrinkles around the mouth
- To smooth purse-string wrinkles (around the lips), it is necessary to prepare 5 strips 2. 2 inch wide for the upper lip area and 3 strips for the lower lip.
- Pull the skin slightly to the sides above the upper lip, stick the teip diagonally upward, without pulling.
- Pull the skin slightly down under the lower lip, stick the teip diagonally down without pulling.
Lymphatic drainage face taping
To remove puffiness on the face, the method of lymphatic drainage taping is used.
- The stripes are glued in waves.
- The direction of application is undulating, with minimal tension.
- The anchor of the strip is located above the lymph node, and the tape itself is along the channels.
How to take off
Disrupt teip is strictly not recommended.
To safely remove it from the skin, you can use:
- special liquid or spray;
- warm water, carefully moistening the tape;
- skin cleanser (Sterilium);
- baby nutritious oil.
- Moisten the patch thoroughly with warm water or a greasy cream.
- Pry off the edge from the outside.
- Slowly lifting the strip, remove in the direction of the massage line to the base of the tape.
- Soak thoroughly each strip with warm water, nutritious oil or a fat cream.
- Pry off the edge from the outside.
- Remove each lane slowly towards the lymph nodes.
The modern kinesiotape technique is a tool that includes several different teip techniques . Such treatment and preventive measures will make it possible to get rid of pain, heal injuries, bruises, sprains and improve the aesthetic condition of the skin of the face and neck without the use of drug therapy.
The basics of kinesiotherapy: