With age, the eyes become tired, they are surrounded by many wrinkles. The only way to rejuvenate your face and adjust your gaze is blepharoplasty. Like any procedure, this technique has positive and negative sides, as evidenced by the numerous reviews of people who went through the operation.
- What is blepharoplasty of the lower and upper eyelids, the essence of the technique
- Pluses of operation
- Types of blepharoplasty and methods differences
- Upper blepharoplasty
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty
- Circular blepharoplasty
- Blepharoplasty Techniques
- Injection blepharoplasty
- Hardware blepharoplasty
- Surgical blepharoplasty techniques
- How long does it take and how does rehabilitation go after different types of plastic surgery
- What type of blepharoplasty is the safest
- What type of blepharoplasty is the most dangerous
- Frequent complications of blepharoplasty, according to patients
- Rare effects of surgery
- Eyelid blepharoplasty video
What is blepharoplasty of the lower and upper eyelids, the essence of the technique
The skin around the eyes is subtle and sensitive. This contributes to the early appearance of facial and deep wrinkles. Blepharoplasty helps to hide age and make the look more open. During the procedure, the surgeon dissects the accumulated layer of fat and drooping skin.
Blepharoplasty can help change the cut of the eyes, remove wenes from under the skin, eliminate bags or bruises under the eyes. The essence of the operation is a slight facelift due to the adjustment of the eyelids. This method does not apply to complex plastic surgeries, but requires a highly qualified surgeon.
With a responsible approach to choosing a clinic and a doctor, you can eliminate discomfort during and after the operation, as well as get only positive results.
Blepharoplasty is a small surgical intervention. This means that she has indications for her and contraindications, which will serve as a refusal of the doctor to provide services. It is worth noting that blepharoplasty is performed both in the direction of the ophthalmologist, and according to the person’s own desire.
Indications for the operation are:
|Hanging lower or upper eyelids||
|Folds on the skin of the eyelids||
|Congenital pathologies or mutations||
Contraindications for blepharoplasty:
|Contraindication||The consequences of the operation|
|Low blood coagulation||
|High eye and cranial pressure||
The surgeon sets the date of surgery only after a detailed examination of the state of human health.
Pluses of operation
Blepharoplasty, which reviews are most often left by operated women, is also popular among the male population. People decide on this procedure after a thorough analysis of the positive and negative sides.
The advantages of blepharoplasty are:
- lack of bags under the eyes;
- the use of anesthesia, which relieves the patient from pain;
- face rejuvenation effect;
- open look;
- improved vision if blepharoplasty was performed to restore it;
- lack of scars and invisible scars;
- removal of obstructing wen.
- the absence of any result for some physiological reasons;
- dissatisfaction with the new appearance;
- long wait for the result;
- long rehabilitation;
- expensive drugs to care for operated sites;
- prolonged feeling of discomfort;
- the appearance of deep wrinkles in the forehead, which will require correction;
- the appearance of the sunken eyes in the first months after complete recovery.
Do not miss
the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Types of blepharoplasty and methods differences
This procedure in plastic surgery is divided into several types:
- upper eyelid surgery : tightens overhanging skin, smoothes wrinkles and increases visibility to a person;
correction of the lower eyelid : eliminates swelling under the eyes, noticeable wrinkles and opens the gaze;
- circular blepharoplasty : tightens both eyelids at the same time, correcting all the imperfections of the facial skin.
All methods differ not only in indications for their implementation, but also:
- type of anesthesia;
- time of the procedure;
- the need to remove certain tissues.
Upper eyelid lift occurs under local anesthesia, which reduces sensitivity in areas undergoing surgical procedures. Upper blepharoplasty is used to eliminate wrinkles and folds, as the skin becomes inelastic with age due to the destruction of collagen fibers.
Blepharoplasty, the reviews of operated on about which for the most part only positive, is used on the upper eyelids:
- with hernias or adipose tissue formed after severe edema;
- with skin hanging over the eyes, which not only makes a person’s eyes heavy and tired, but also interferes with normal visual perception;
- in case of problems with make-up: cosmetics are rolled up, leaking and smeared.
Lower eyelid blepharoplasty
The lower eyelids are more sensitive, their skin is thinner than on the upper eyelids, and muscle fibers are located immediately below the skin. The muscles are separated by a membrane from the fat layer, which makes lower blepharoplasty more difficult surgical intervention.
Muscle fibers can lose their elasticity, tone and supporting ability. Because of this, they begin to stretch and sag. The fat layer begins to accumulate on these tissues, and swelling and bags under the eyes are formed.
They are removed in several ways:
- External method: the surface of the eyelid is cut and removed loose skin, excess fat or part of muscle tissue.
It is applicable for sagging skin of the lower eyelid:
- Deep technique: make a small incision on the lining of the eyelid, remove excess adipose tissue. The method is also called plucking, since after dissecting the skin tissue is plucked with surgical instruments.
This technique is used for abundant accumulations of fat and the absence of stretched skin.
This type of operation tightens both centuries. It is carried out under general anesthesia during medical sleep. Circular blepharoplasty is the longest and lasts several hours. She also has the longest and most difficult rehabilitation period, which is constantly monitored by a surgeon and an ophthalmologist.
A circular operation is performed when:
- sagging skin immediately on both eyelids, which greatly impairs vision and quality of life;
- multiple body fat around the eyes;
- severe swelling of the eyes and the formation of bruises;
- congenital ocular pathologies;
- transferred diseases that changed the shape of the eyes.
Blepharoplasty is performed using various techniques.
Among them, the most popular are:
- operational execution techniques;
- hardware methods;
- injection procedures.
Each of the species has its own characteristics and is used only after consultation with specialists.
Blepharoplasty, the reviews of operated patients about which are negative, can be performed without surgical intervention.
By introducing various substances into the subcutaneous space:
- botulinum toxin;
- hyaluronic acid;
Remove wrinkles, cyanosis and swelling, tighten eyelids and skin. Cosmetology products are also able to nourish and moisturize tissues, as well as stimulate the production of necessary collagen fibers. Injections of lipolytic substances, among which lecithin is especially popular, have the property of splitting the membranes of fat cells and removing them in dissolved form.
This helps to eliminate hernias and swelling.
Injection blepharoplasty corrects minor problems around the eyes. Its advantage is the absence of the need for frequent visits to the beauty parlor, as the result becomes visible after 3 procedures, and the rejuvenation effect lasts up to 10 months, after which the injection course can be repeated.
This type of eyelid correction also refers to the non-surgical type.
Among the hardware methods, there are:
|Method name||The essence of the method|
|Thermage||The effect of radio waves on the skin around the eyes, which stimulate the production of their own collagen.|
|Ultrasonic wave lifting||With the help of ultrasound, existing collagen fibers are strengthened and do not undergo rapid decay.|
|Thermal lifting||The heat emitted by the device tightens the skin due to the removal of excess water under the eyes, and also accelerates the breakdown of adipose tissue.|
|Plasma blepharoplasty||Electric plasma particles of low temperature act on skin cells, tightening it, stimulating collagen production and smoothing wrinkles.|
|Laser method||Erbium laser polishes the skin, eliminating swelling, wrinkles, scars and fat layer.
Due to gas exchange in the skin cells, a carbon dioxide laser enhances their nutrition and oxygen saturation. There is a stimulation of the synthesis of elastin and collagen.
Hardware blepharoplasty is able to cope with age-related skin changes:
- small wrinkles;
- slightly dangling skin;
- slight swelling of the eyelids.
This type of blepharoplasty cannot cope with more serious problems: hernias, bags, and deep wrinkles require more drastic measures. The course of procedures consists of 10 sessions, and it is necessary to repeat it once every 6 months.
Surgical blepharoplasty techniques
Blepharoplasty, the reviews of operated on which can be found in large numbers, during surgery remains the most effective method of rejuvenation. Surgical blepharoplasty, depending on the species, takes a sufficient amount of time. Correction of the upper and lower eyelids individually takes about an hour, and a circular operation lasts about 2 hours.
Before the operation, the anesthesiologist and surgeon select the type of anesthesia based on:
- the age of the patient;
- scope of work:
- the condition of the muscles around the eyes;
- skin features;
- the structure of the bones of the skull;
- patient health;
- the presence of allergies to certain substances.
It is also necessary to notify the surgeon about past or existing eye diseases, as well as about taking medications. The surgeon together with the ophthalmologist will prescribe the necessary tests and conduct an examination of the lacrimal canal.
Before blepharoplasty, it is necessary to properly prepare for the operation:
- increase water intake;
- stop smoking and drinking alcohol;
- 3 days before blepharoplasty, refuse to take any medications, nutritional supplements and vitamin complexes.
Compliance with these rules will help to avoid an increase in the recovery period and the occurrence of bleeding. The right choice of anesthesia is of great importance. For this, specialists will conduct blood tests: for coagulability, general and biochemical. It is also necessary to be screened for various infections.
If you have previously suffered serious illnesses or in the presence of a chronic form of one of them, a consultation with a physician is required.
When prescribing a general anesthesia to the patient, the anesthesiologist must provide the results of ECG and fluorography. This responsible approach to the choice of anesthesia is due not only to the type of operation: circular or unidirectional. A large role is played by the state of a person and his age. Blepharoplasty is performed in a surgical room under sterile conditions.
Its implementation depends on the type of problem:
- Weakness of muscle fibers, sagging skin, overhanging eyelids, small fatty hernias.
- To deformities of the 1st type, a change in the skin near the eyeball itself is added, which affects the temporal areas and the skin of the cheeks.
- Too much overhang of the skin, the formation of wrinkles in the cheeks, eyelids and nasolabial triangle.
- Too large layer of adipose tissue and stretched skin, strong bags under the eyes, loose skin under the eyes.
If a person has type 1 deformities, then blepharoplasty is performed transconjunctively, that is, an incision is made along the mucous membrane of the eyelid. In the presence of more complex problems of type 2-4, classical methods of surgery are used: through a thin incision on the skin of the eyelids.
When treating a patient with changes of type 4, the surgeon often combines plastic surgery on the eyelids with a facelift, which provides a more pronounced result. Before performing a surgical incision, the doctor marks the area of the skin. Then it makes the necessary incision and removes excess tissue.
There are techniques in which part of the fat is not removed, but more evenly distributed under the skin . Also, if necessary, the surgeon tightens muscle tissue. After carrying out all the manipulations, self-absorbable sutures are placed on the incisions, which leave no traces after themselves.
After a rehabilitation period, a skin resurfacing procedure is possible. Blepharoplasty is performed in several ways: incisions are made with a scalpel or laser.
The differences between the laser beam and the surgical instrument are quite significant:
- high cost of operations;
- cuts are controlled to a inch and practically do not damage adjacent tissues;
- a lesser degree of edema and bruising after blepharoplasty;
- rapid tissue repair;
- less risk of infection.
It is worth noting that the appearance and structure of the skin after surgery are the same regardless of the choice of instruments.
How long does it take and how does rehabilitation go after different types of plastic surgery
Blepharoplasty, the reviews of the operated on which also contain information about rehabilitation, has general recommendations for the recovery period. It occurs immediately after surgery. The duration of the rehabilitation period depends on the care of the skin and sutures, as well as on the age and health of the person.
On average, the minimum time for tissue repair is 2 weeks. Full recovery occurs approximately 2 months after surgery.
|Amount of days||Recovery process|
|1||The patient experiences sore eyes, the eyelids are swollen. It is possible to take painkillers, apply compresses. Strictly respected bed rest.|
|2||It is allowed to take a shower once, avoiding water getting into the operated areas. The surgeon prescribes eye drops.|
|7-8||The use of sterile dressings is completely discontinued. Bruises under the eyes and swelling of the eyelids subside.|
|10||The postoperative deformations of the skin completely disappear.|
|14||Eye areas look younger, stitches almost disappear.|
|55||Full recovery of the patient, after which he can return to his previous lifestyle.|
During the first 14 days it is not allowed:
- touch the eye area;
- strain your eyes while reading books or watching TV;
- use of contact lenses or cosmetics;
- sleep on your side or stomach: to reduce edema, you only need to sleep on your back with your head up;
- actively move;
- lean forward; < /li>
- to take a bath;
- take alcohol;
- go out without sunglasses.
2 weeks after blepharoplasty, the surgeon will prescribe recommendations to speed up the regeneration process.
It could be:
- skin resurfacing;
- drug injections;
- the use of ointments and creams for healing.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
What type of blepharoplasty is the safest
The safest is considered non-surgical type of rejuvenation. With the help of special apparatuses, various types of effects are exerted on tissues that do not affect our body. Also, with hardware correction of the eyelids, the risk of infection and the formation of scars on the skin is eliminated.
It is worth noting that the safest type of plastic surgery is not very effective and is used only for the initial manifestations of ocular and skin deformities.
What type of blepharoplasty is the most dangerous
The most unpredictable type of rejuvenation is surgery, the result of which depends on the equipment of the clinic and the qualifications of the surgeon. If elementary rules for sterilization and the use of disposable syringes are not observed, there is a likelihood of developing sepsis on the skin of the eyelids.
As with any operation, blepharoplasty has a number of possible complications, which the operating specialist notifies in advance.
Frequent complications of blepharoplasty, according to patients
Patients often confuse the body’s normal response to blepharoplasty with complications.
However, the options are:
- swelling and bags around the eyes;
- bright bruises;
They are considered normal after eyelid correction and pass quickly.
Among the most common complications, operated people distinguish:
|Dacryocystitis||Constant lacrimation.||Probing of the lacrimal canals.|
|Allergy||Redness or itching around the eyes.||Antihistamines are prescribed.|
|Corneal inflammation||Sensation of dry eyes.||Instillation of special eye drops.|
Treatment of any complications should be carried out by a doctor who performed blepharoplasty.
Rare effects of surgery
Surgeon errors during blepharoplasty lead to rare complications.
- asymmetric arrangement of the eyes or their shape;
- connective tissue discrepancy;
- the formation of skin folds;
- muscle damage to the eye;
- hematomas of the posterior part of the eye;
- loss of vision.
All complications are associated with:
- improper suturing;
- removing too much tissue;
- non-compliance with the rules of the rehabilitation period.
Before conducting blepharoplasty, you should carefully study the reviews of the operated patients about the clinics and surgeons. The course of the operation, the occurrence of complications and the result directly depends on the choice of the location of the operation and the qualifications of the plastic surgeon.
Eyelid blepharoplasty video
Eyelid blepharoplasty, healing period, suture removal: