Redness, irritation and premature aging of the skin are the result of a negligent attitude of a person to it with prolonged exposure to the scorching sun. Sunblock cream is able to solve most of the problems with facial skin that arise from exposure to ultraviolet rays. However, for this, the tool must be correctly selected.
What sunscreen is needed
When choosing a sun block, experts recommend paying attention to the skin phototype.
There are several types of phototype, which are distributed depending on the color of the eyes, hair, temperature, appearance, skin tone.
All 6 phototypes are presented in the table below:
|Eye color||Hair color||Skin tone|
|First phototype||Blue||Light blond, red||Light coloured|
|Second phototype||Gray or brown||Light blond||Light coloured|
|Third phototype||Green or brown||Chestnut / Dark Brown||Light coloured|
|Fourth phototype||Brown or black||The black||Dark|
|Fifth Phototype||Brown or black||The black||Very dark|
|Sixth Phototype||Brown or black||The black||Very dark|
Those who attribute themselves to the 1st phototype should be especially careful in exposing the skin to sunlight, since the epidermis of such people is prone to redness, possibly rapid burning. It is necessary to select the highest levels of protection: SPF 50 and higher rates.
Representatives of the second phototype should start their first sunny days with creams with the SPF 50 emblem, but further protection can be weakened to SPF 30. Representatives of the second phototype can spend the final days and walks around the city under the sun with SPF 20 protection.
Representatives of the third phototype have a skin that is more loyal to sunlight, so they can afford to start sunbathing with protection of medium intensity (SPF 30), then you can lower the protection to SPF 15.
The fourth and fifth phototypes practically do not need to protect the skin, however, they can use sunscreens with a protection factor of SPF 5 or 10, for prevention.
Those who belong to the sixth phototype have a skin adapted to high temperatures and the scorching sun, they do not need additional protection from the sun.
Rules for protecting the face from the sun
The opinion that ultraviolet rays are harmful only is erroneous; in a moderate concentration, ultraviolet helps the skin to produce vitamin D. With an excess of ultraviolet rays, photoaging processes start: wrinkles, pigmentation appear, and the risk of cancer increases.
General rules for protecting a person from excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays look like this:
- It is necessary to wear clothes made of dense fabric, in addition, do not forget about hats at the peak of the activity of sunlight.
- You can’t be outdoors for a long time during the peak activity of sunlight, this period falls within the time period from 10:00 to 16:00.
- Use the correct sunscreen with a sufficient level of SPF, regularly updating its layer on the face.
- It is necessary to use special protective equipment for certain areas on the face that have thin skin: the skin around the eyes, lips.
What should be part of a sunscreen
A wide range of sunblock cream is presented on the shelves of cosmetic stores. And the composition of the entire mass of sunscreens is based either on physical filters or on chemical ones. The compositions are different, but similar functions – to serve as a shield and reflector of sunlight.
Means, the action of which is based on a physical filter, incorporate natural components. Those products whose action is based on a chemical filter contain chemical components. Both chemical and physical filters serve one purpose – to protect against ultraviolet rays, reflecting them from the skin.
Cream with a physical filter includes:
- titanium dioxide – a mineral that has a high ability to reflect sunlight.
- Zinc oxide is an inorganic compound added to a product, which, covering a thin layer of the skin, acts as a reflector for ultraviolet rays and is a necessary component for the stable operation of epidermal cells.
Cream with a chemical filter includes:
The disadvantage of the means, in which the physical filter is used, is that the components settle on the layers of the epidermis and are able to “weight” the skin. Such creams are not suitable for people with sensitive skin.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
What are SPF, UVB and UVA
There are several types of ultraviolet rays: UVC, UVB, UVA. Ultraviolet rays like UVC do not reach the person, as they are completely absorbed by passing through the ozone layer. Manufacturers of cosmetics produce sun blocks that protect against either UVA or UVB. Finding a remedy that protects against both types of ultraviolet rays at once is problematic.
SPF marking on sunscreen bottles indicates the degree of protection the manufacturer offers in this cosmetic product.
SPF shows two types of information:
- how much time can be spent in the sun using a sunscreen with one or another SPF;
- what percentage of ultraviolet rays can bloc
k this sunscreen.
It should be understood that the figure does not directly show the exact number of minutes or hours, this indicator varies within certain limits depending on the individual characteristics of each individual person.
In other words, if being in the sun, a person begins to burn after 5 minutes, the indicator on the bottle must be multiplied by exactly 5. That is, when you buy a product with SPF 20 protection, you can count on protection for 100 minutes.
Moreover, the maximum duration of protection of any product in any case does not exceed 3 hours, even if an individual calculation gave a greater amount of time. Also, the effect completely disappears upon contact with water, and the layer of the sun block must be renewed.
The SPF indicator shows what percentage of ultraviolet rays the sun can absorb. There is no direct proportionality between the number indicated on the bottle and the percentage. If an SPF with a value of 2 can neutralize half of the ultraviolet rays, SPF 15 will provide protection from 94%.
However, the SPF 50 is not a useless level of protection, as is commonly believed: the lower the SPF is, the more funds must be used for high-quality protection.
That is, level 50 will protect the skin from burning even with a thin coating layer. Funds with different levels of SPF applied sequentially will not give a higher protection rate according to the rule of addition. Only the big defense of one of them will act.
Face cream for tanning is worth choosing, first of all, determining what type of person this or that person belongs to.
People who are representatives of the first phototype are almost always forced to use products that have high SPF, this is due to the fact that the skin of such people is absolutely not adapted for prolonged exposure to the sun.
Experts also advise owners of the second and third phototypes to start using sunscreens with SPF 50, however, after a few days, they can gradually reduce the level of protection to SPF 30 or SPF 15.
Holders of dry skin type must choose a cosmetic product that protects against ultraviolet rays, in the form of lotion or milk. Owners of oily skin are suitable funds made in the form of a light mousse, lotion or spray.
Additionally, sunscreens with an abrasive effect are available. Many cosmetics manufacturers add SPF protection to face makeup products. This is the way out if you do not want to lay one tool on another.
The benefits and harms of sunscreens
Modern manufacturers of sunscreens often switch from using oxybenzone in the formulations to using avobenzene. However, it has not yet been scientifically proven that avobenzone is a safe chemical component for use on the skin.
US researchers have studied the chemical components added to sun protection products. It turned out that in almost every body of a US resident who has been using sunscreens for a long time, chemical components such as oxybenzone accumulated.
The chemical component can significantly reduce the level of sperm in the male population and cause the development of endometriosis in the female half.
In addition, studies have proven that many of the components added to sunscreens have an effect on the stability of the endocrine system and cause hormonal disruptions.
It is worth carefully studying labels with the composition of sunscreens for the presence of such components as:
- para-aminobenzoic acid;
However, most sunscreens in their composition have not only components that protect against the influence of ultraviolet rays , but also antioxidants, oils and vitamins that allow you to nourish the skin, restore its elasticity and prevent dehydration of the skin.
- Avene . Sunscreen. Level of protection: SPF 50. The unique component of sunscreen is the patented Aven thermal water, in addition, the cream is completely free of chemical components. The manufacturer claims that the product is suitable for owners of sensitive skin, and also does not cause irritation in allergy sufferers and those suffering from atopic dermatitis. The product has a high level of protection with a light consistency. It is suitable for use on baby skin. Available in a bottle, the volume of which is 1,69 fluid ounce. The cost of the product varies within $ 20. This sunscreen has a large number of positive and neutral reviews.
- Uriahe . Sunscreen emulsion with an SPF of 30. The composition includes the patented isotonic thermal water Uryazh at a concentration of 10%. In addition, the product contains vitamin E, glycerin, a Tinosorb M filter, phytosterols. Additionally, the emulsion is an absorbent agent. It is available in a volume of 1,69 fluid ounce. The cost of the funds varies within $ 12,24. It has positive reviews from users with combination, oily skin.
- ZO Skin Health. Spray for face and body. SPF 50. The product has a waterproof formula that protects against the full spectrum of ultraviolet rays. In addition, it includes protection from the action of high-energy light. Light formula does not cause discomfort during use. The spray is available in a 3,99 fluid ounce bottle. Estimated cost – $ 41. There are positive reviews among customers who prefer the means of the luxury segment.
- Garnier . Sunscreen spray with SPF 50. It is in the form of a dry spray that is suitable for sensitive skin. The product protects against all types of ultraviolet rays. Available in a 6,76 fluid ounce bottle. Positive reviews indicate the effectiveness of the tool. Estimated cost – $ 10,88.
- Floresan brand sunblock with SPF 80 combines several sun protection factors: PPD, SPF. It has UVB and UVA protection. Moreover, it includes organic filters, Shea butter and D-Panthenol.
The manufacturer stated that the product copes with the protection of tattooing on the face and interferes with photoaging processes. It is available in a volume of 2,54 fluid ounce and has earned positive reviews from customers who choose mid-range products. The cost of the product varies between $ 3 – $ 4.
- Faberlic Sunscreen for face with SPF 15. It effectively protects against UVA rays.
The composition includes such components as:
- wheat proteins that provide additional moisture and protection;
- shea butter, which improves skin elasticity, which also has a healing effect;
- Vitamin E to soften the skin;
- oxygen complex that increases the level of O2 in the skin and the degree of protection from the sun.
Sunblock cream is available in a volume of 1,69 fluid ounce. Positive reviews about this tool for the face indicate its high effectiveness. The cost varies within $ 2,99.
- Clinique . Sunscreen for face with SPF 30. The manufacturer claims that the product has received a new non-fat formula that provides quick application and the absence of the effect of “heaviness” on the face. The SolarSmart + concept announced by the manufacturer protects against both UVA and UVB.
The composition of the product also includes various antioxidants that allow you to moisturize and restore the skin. The tool has been tested by ophthalmologists, is available in a tube with a volume of 1,69 fluid ounce. The cost of the tool is $ 31. It has positive feedback from customers choosing the luxury product segment.
- Vishy. Stick for sensitive areas with SPF 50. It provides a high level of protection for the skin of the face, especially the skin around the eyes, lips. The manufacturer also advises using the product as a lipstick. It protects against the full spectrum of ultraviolet rays. The composition includes shea butter, castor and cocoa butter, vitamin E. Customers rated the product 4.8 out of 5.0. The tool is available in sticks with a volume of 0,3 fluid ounce. The cost of the funds is $ 10,51.
- White pearl. Cream with a whitening effect against tanning with SPF 70. The product gives a cooling effect, is available in a volume of 5,07 fluid ounce. The cost of the funds varies within $ 1,63. Customer reviews about him are neutral.
- Bioderma Photoderm Max Sunscreen with SPF 50 is intended for use by owners of dry and normal skin. In addition, the product is suitable for aging skin. It is especially recommended for people with photosensitivity of types 1 and 2. The cream protects against all types of ultraviolet rays, is suitable for use on allergic skin, does not contain various flavors in its composition, does not leave a greasy film and white marks, is available in a 1,35 fluid ounce tube. Estimated cost of the product is $ 16.
Sunscreens are essential cosmetic products for use during the high solar activity season. When choosing a cream for sunburn, it is important to consider the type of skin of the face and body (dry or oily), its condition, phototype, the concentration of sunlight and the duration of exposure. Properly selected product will allow you to get a tan without consequences for the body.
Video on the topic: Sunscreens
How to choose a sunscreen:
Myths about sunscreens: