Vascular disease is difficult to detect in the first stages. Regular pains and restrictions in mobility appear gradually and reach advanced stages. In such situations, the patient will have an operation to remove leg veins. A gentle method of treatment is vascular sclerosis, which helps to avoid the serious consequences of therapy.
- Why develop problems with the vessels on the legs
- Sclerotherapy of veins of the lower extremities: the essence of the technique
- General principles of sclerotherapy
- Why do sclerotherapy
- Indications for sclerotherapy
- Contraindications to sclerotherapy
- Preparation for surgery
- Sclerotherapy drugs
- Sclerotherapy technique
- Mini-sclerotherapy of spider veins
- Foam sclerotherapy
- Recovery period: terms, rules
- Postoperative Restrictions
- Adverse reactions, complications
- Prices of operations in New York, Los Angeles and
- Patient reviews, results before and after
- Leg vein sclerotherapy video
Why develop problems with the vessels on the legs
Daily habits that negatively affect the cardiovascular system and blood flow lead to vein depletion.
The causes of pathologies include several main factors:
- strong physical, and especially static loads on the lower extremities;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- bad habits;
With physical activity, blood supply increases, and tense muscles pinch the blood vessels. This creates an increased pressure at which the walls of the vessels expand to push blood through. During this process, veins lose their elasticity and ability to function normally.
Due to the dysfunction of the bloodstream, cholesterol rises, which forms plaques that clog vessels and provoke them to deform. The negative effect is complemented by smoking, drinking alcohol. Once in the blood, harmful substances make it circulate intensely in order to quickly remove toxins.
It also increases the risk of occurrence and complicates the course of diseases by heredity.
Sclerotherapy of veins of the lower extremities: the essence of the technique
Sclerotherapy is a common method of treatment of vascular pathologies in medicine, which is carried out as an independent set of procedures. It can also complement drug and surgical treatment. The method does not involve surgical intervention.
It is a safe alternative to earlier approaches to cure the disease. The technique is not painful; it helps to recover quickly after therapy.
Sclerotization of leg veins is prescribed to patients with almost any form of varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and as a method of preventing relapse after surgery. Sometimes sclerosis is prescribed along with drug treatment. If the disease is at the last stage and does not respond to any treatment, the last step is surgery.
General principles of sclerotherapy
Before the appointment of sclerotherapy, the doctor diagnoses and interrogates the patient, then sends him for additional studies: ultrasound of the vessels, contrast examination, etc. Having collected and examined all the data, the specialist develops a treatment plan, determines the number of sessions and injections.
During the procedure, the doctor injects a syringe with a thin needle into the affected vein of the medicine, which glues its walls. The treated areas are covered with an elastic bandage. This is necessary so that the veins remain in a compressed state, and the blood flow does not stretch their walls even more.
Blood from diseased vessels is redirected through healthy areas. The injected medicine gradually resolves, and the deformed elements of the venous system are contracted to their original size and restore elasticity.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
Why do sclerotherapy
Sclerosis of the veins on the legs is a young method of therapy, a less radical, but less effective analogue of surgical removal of veins.
The procedure has many advantages over the standard operation:
- safe, almost never causes side effects;
- the duration of the procedure is no more than 40 minutes;
- in the process of treatment, the vessels are not removed, but restore their functions;
- sessions are practically not accompanied by painful sensations;
- there are no visible signs of interference during the procedures;
- does not require intensive and long recovery;
- helps with relapses of the disease;
- eliminates the side effects caused by surgery.
The main advantage of sclerotherapy is a short and almost asymptomatic rehabilitation. The patient does not need to be in the hospital room during the entire course of treatment.
Indications for sclerotherapy
There is no complete list of indications for the procedure.
Doctors prescribe sclerotherapy based on practice, focus on the main list of pathologies:
- vascular network – an early manifestation of varicose veins;
- superficial capillary stars resulting from hormone imbalance;
- varicose veins and hemorrhoids at all stages, but with different treatment plans;
- vascular neoplasms.
Sclerotherapy is prescribed only after thorough research with the permission of a phlebologist.
Contraindications to sclerotherapy
An operation is prescribed based on the absence of any contraindication from the list.
The primary causes of failure in the procedure are chronic diseases, as well as the patient’s current condition:
- period of bearing, lactation;
- severe heart failure;
- heart defects;
- atherosclerosis (clogged arteries with cholesterol plaques);
- thrombophlebitis (blockage of arteries with blood clots – blood clots);
- thrombosis at the time of surgery and even several years before it;
- inflammatory skin diseases;
- allergy to drugs for the procedure.
Contraindications may include certain medications. The doctor takes the disease into account over the past year.
Preparation for surgery
Sclerosis of the veins on the legs requires compliance with several simple rules for preparing for the sessions. Before the appointment of the operation, the doctor should be informed about the drugs being taken so that he can determine which ones cannot be taken at the time of treatment and rehabilitation.
From the prohibited means:
- medicines for the treatment of the cardiovascular system.
The remaining restrictions apply to all patients:
- 2-3 days before sclerosis, you should stop smoking, drinking alcohol.
- You need to eat food no later than 2-3 hours before sclerotherapy.
- Wash your feet before the procedure.
- In advance you need to purchase compression underwear, an elastic bandage. It is better to come to the procedure in tight clothes for better fasten
ing the bandage.
- You can not carry out any cosmetic procedures before and between sessions. This includes the use of scrubs, masks, creams, as well as all types of hair removal. For allergies to hygiene products, sclerosis is not carried out.
At the end of the operation, the patient puts on compression clothing and takes a walk. A hospital stay is not required.
The drugs used for sclerotherapy are divided into 3 categories.
- Detergents are surface active agents. They are sodium tetradecyl sulfate, Thrombovar, Sotradecol, Polydocanol and Fibro-Vane. As a result of their use, the protein coagulates, forming a clot in the hole, which leads to gluing of the walls of blood vessels and veins.
- Hyperosmotic agents . This includes 40% sodium salicitate and 10–24% sodium chloride. The effect of their introduction is due to dehydration of the endothelium.
- Corrosion preparations. Varicocide (solution), Variglobin, Shotin iodide solution, Ethoxysclerol are used. These substances provide unilateral deformation of the walls with the appearance of blood clots.
These funds are highly effective and absolutely safe for the body, with the exception of the possible intolerance of a particular type of medicine. Detergents are suitable for eliminating large veins, and corrosive agents are suitable for small vessels.
Sclerosis is carried out in a sterile room under local anesthesia. During the session, anesthetics are administered in the vein area of the legs. By cooling the treated area, tissue sensitivity and the likelihood of traces of interference (wounds and bruises) are reduced.
The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Using a short thin needle of a syringe, a puncture is performed to the desired site. The small size of the needle eliminates the appearance of bleeding. To accurately enter the drug, an ultrasound scan of the veins is performed in parallel.
- A sclerosing agent is administered. The dosage is determined individually depending on the stage of the disease, the location of the vessel and the area of the lesion.
- When a specialist has made sure that the drug has begun to act, they are given an elastic bandage or compression clothing. You need to wear it 2 days after the session.
At the end of the procedure, the patient must walk for an hour under the supervision of a health care provider.
Mini-sclerotherapy of spider veins
This sclerotherapy technique is used on parts of the body located below the level of the heart. It is used to remove neoplasms that reach a diameter of not more than 3/32 inch. Sessions of sclerotherapy are related more to a cosmetic procedure and their aesthetic phlebologist conducts them.
Indications for the sessions are vascular asterisks of various sizes and localizations.
The medicine is injected into the lumen of the vessel with a needle or catheter. A thin instrument blade, not larger than the diameter of the capillary, allows you to work with microscopic elements of the venous system. A doctor may conduct a session using equipment that increases the treatment area.
This type of intervention is used to treat large saphenous veins with advanced stages of varicose veins. Foam sclerotherapy is used in cases where it is impossible to produce sclerotherapy with the introduction of soluble drugs due to the high likelihood of thrombosis.
In this situation, the injection is fine foam. The replacement is due to the fact that the injected medicine does not mix with the blood, but pushes it. Therefore, foam sclerotherapy prevents blood clots from forming. This method is superior to others in efficiency, and doctors evaluate the result as instant.
Sclerosis is performed with drugs from the group of sclerosants. They glue the walls of the arteries, completely clogging their gaps. In the course of such manipulations, the vein turns into a connected cord, the drug in which resolves up to 6 months and is excreted naturally. The procedure is accompanied by a vascular examination with an ultrasound preparation.
The protocol of the echosclerosis procedure is slightly different from other species. It is configured to work with deeply hidden veins that are not available for visual inspection. A special ultrasound control is also used to work with a fine vascular network, but a more accurate apparatus with multiple magnification is used.
Recovery period: terms, rules
The main aspect of successful rehabilitation after sclerotherapy is compliance with all the rules of the recovery period.
- After the procedure, the first half hour is necessary to walk around. The walk is carried out under the supervision of a doctor.
- During the course of treatment you need to play sports. For this, enough physical activity in the form of a walk for 2 – 2 mile per day.
- Periodic headaches need to be weakened by taking only medications prescribed by your doctor.
- After a week, you need to come to the first inspection. Scheduled visits to the doctor are made once every 2 weeks, but the frequency of visits can also be pre-agreed.
- Compression clothing should be worn for the first 14 days of rehabilitation. An elastic bandage is needed on the first day after the session.
It is important to focus on your own feelings. Pain and swelling are the reason for an unscheduled visit to a medical institution. Untimely provision of measures for side effects of treatment will lead to their aggravation.
On the legs veins appear most often. In order for the sclerosis of the veins to have a result, the maximum aesthetic effect is observed, for some time you need to limit yourself to some actions.
It is impossible during the recovery period:
- About 3 weeks it is forbidden to take a hot bath and go to the sauna, to sunbathe.
- You can’t fly on airplanes.
- Limit mobility to the standards recommended by your doctor and avoid heavy physical exertion.
- Heparin ointments should not be applied to venous correction sites.
- Repeated procedure is forbidden to be carried out earlier than 1-2 weeks.
- The skin color will first change to yellow. This is the norm and does not serve as a reason to go to the doctor.
- Do not wear compression clothing while you sleep.
It is important to understand in advance the level of available load after the procedure. Sclerotherapy does not require bed rest, but not all types of exercise are acceptable.
Adverse reactions, complications
The risks of complications after surgery are low, but increase with improper preparation for the sessions and non-compliance with the rules for its conduct.
- Hyperpigmentation – the appearance of brown spots at the injection site. May occur from a specific drug for injection. Often, this phenomenon is short-lived and disappears by itself. Otherwise, a Q-switched laser is used to remove pigment.
- Swelling – may develop during the first day. Passes by itself.
- Pain. During the procedure, special cooling agents are used for anesthesia.
- Redness. Lasts for half an hour. If itching occurs, use a corticosteroid ointment.
- Relapse. It arises from many factors. An integrated approach to treatment or the use of other methods of therapy is required.
Sclerosis can be accompanied by such complications:
- superficial thrombophlebitis;
- allergic reaction.
These pathologies can be the result of improper diagnostics, treatment and non-compliance with the rules of preparation and rehabilitation.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
Prices of operations in New York, Los Angeles and
Depending on the venue, prices for sclerotherapy may vary.
|New York||Los Angeles||Other|
|Echosclerotherapy||15000 (for 1 vein)||7000 (for 1 vein)||5000-6000 (for 1 vein)|
|Microsclerotherapy||30000 (5 sessions)||15000 (5 sessions)||10000 (5 sessions)|
|Foam sclerotherapy||8000 (1 session)||4000 (1 session)||3000-4000 (1 session)|
In addition to average prices, you need to focus on the choice of clinic. In different institutions, prices for counseling and therapy may vary depending on the neglect of the disease.
Patient reviews, results before and after
The experience from the use of sclerotherapy in each patient is purely individual. Of the negative reviews, complaints about relapse of the pathology in other places, an allergy to substances introduced into the vein, predominate.
Advantages of the technique:
- short duration of sessions;
- lack of external consequences after a course of treatment.
Sclerosis of the veins on the legs is a procedure that requires a strict approach to the diagnosis of the disease. In the process of preparation, conduct and rehabilitation it is necessary to strictly follow all the rules. In order for sclerotherapy to give a positive result, it is necessary to carefully choose a specialist.
Leg vein sclerotherapy video
Treatment of varicose veins without surgery: