Protein shakes make it possible to effectively gain muscle mass without gaining useless fat. Of course, home-made cocktails made from fresh natural products will bring maximum results .
In cases where the rhythm of life does not allow you to calculate the ratios of nutrients and prepare such mixtures yourself, ready-made protein mixtures come to the aid of athletes.
- The benefits of protein shakes for muscle
- Composition of pharmacy cocktails
- What are the danger of protein powder shakes, contraindications to their intake
- How to take protein shakes
- Names and review of pharmacy cocktails, prices
- What foods are homemade sports cocktails made of
- Benefits of Natural Protein Shakes
- Homemade Protein Shakes Recipes
- Lacti c
- With cottage cheese
- With ice cream
- With nuts
- With kefir
- From fruit
- From berries to gain mass and increase immunity
- With chocolate
- With strawberry
- Muscle Growth Cocktail
- With quail eggs and sour cream
- Brewing yeast
- High carbohydrate
- Ready-Made Protein Shakes Video
The benefits of protein shakes for muscle
It is simply impossible to overestimate the importance of protein in the body. The largest protein known to science is titin. It consists of more than 38000 amino acids and acts as the most important structural component of muscle fibers. Is titine included in their base unit sarcomere.
It is thanks to the proteins that the microfractures that the muscle receives during training are “overgrown” with muscle tissue. This leads to an increase in its volume. But protein is not only associated with muscle growth.
Here are some of its features:
- catalytic, accelerating various biochemical processes, including nutrition, synthesis and regeneration;
- protective, providing multi-level protection of the body, including after exhausting physical training;
- signaling, allowing cells and tissues to interact with each other;
- transport, which is associated with the delivery of oxygen to organs and tissues and the removal of carbon dioxide from them;
- motor, providing movement of muscles, cells and their structural units.
Composition of pharmacy cocktails
Protein shakes for gaining muscle mass, sold in the form of ready-made mixtures, are very popular among athletes. They can be found in pharmacies or in specialized stores. The composition of such cocktails is usually perfectly balanced. So, the famous BCAA amino acid sets include leucine, isoleucine and valine.
Of the 12 amino acids, 8 are indispensable. They are part of the finished protein shakes.
These substances are used by the body to build new muscle fibers:
- leucine forms muscle protein and ensures their growth;
- isoleucine provides the athlete with energy;
- Valine maintains the concentration of serotonin and provides endurance during physical exertion.
The properties of branded protein mixes allow you to:
- use their amino acids as the main building material for muscles;
- stimulate the synthesis of insulin, which exhibits high anabolic qualities;
- interfere with the production of adrenaline, cortisol and other hormones that destroy the body;
- accumulate in the body a supply of energy sufficient for full physical activity.
The composition of protein mixtures contains artificial animal or vegetable protein. In order for such mixtures to be optimally absorbed by the body, fructose and sucrose are introduced into their composition. Additionally, various specialized vitamin complexes and dietary supplements enhance the usefulness of such a cocktail.
There are several forms of cocktails:
- Concentrate , in which protein occupies only from 55 to 89%. The abbreviation for this mixture is WPC. The degree of purification is relatively low, but many peptides are preserved.
- An isolate in which protein is already 90%. Its designation is WPI. Unfortunately, during ionic purification of raw materials, part of the peptides in the composition of such a cocktail invariably breaks down.
- Hydrolyzate , which contains almost 100% protein. The abbreviation for such a cocktail is WPH. The protein of these mixtures by humans is absorbed most easily.
For a set of lean muscle mass, several basic types of protein shakes are available on the market:
- Casein shakes. They contain a prolonged protein that works for a long time, but have far from complete amino acid composition. This protein is taken at night.
- Soy protein, which is usually taken before or after exercise. Its arginine and glutamine accelerate the metabolism of the body, affecting the thyroid gland. However, the set of amino acids of this mixture is not enough for the full functioning of the human body.
- Milk protein, in addition to an incomplete amino acid profile containing lactose.
- A complex extruded egg protein that contains the maximum amount of amino acids.
- Multicomponent mixtures based on several types of protein.
The most popular among athletes is whey protein hydrolyzate. During exercise, whey protein compared with casein increases the protein synthesis of muscle fibers by more than 120%.
The hydrolyzate does not contain impurities and is very easily absorbed. Already 20 minutes after ingestion, it increases the concentration of amino acids in the body necessary for muscle building and recovery processes. Compared to other types of protein, the whey look contains half the amount of leucine.
This indispensable aliphatic amino acid is not synthesized by the human body, however, it helps in the treatment of liver diseases. In addition, this protein stimulates thermogenesis, which helps the breakdown of fats. Whey protein is taken in the morning when the glycogen in the body is low.
What are the danger of protein powder shakes, contraindications to their intake
Prolonged and uncontrolled use of protein mixtures most often leads to a significant increase in the load on the kidneys and liver. This leads to diarrhea or other digestive upsets. Excessive protein concentrations sometimes cause allergic reactions. This is how the endocrine system responds to elevated concentrations of amino acids.
Common contraindications to the intake of protein mixtures are:
- renal failure in any form;
- individual intolerance to the mixture;
- diseases of the genitourinary system;
- heart and vascular disease;
- digestive disorders.
Protein shakes for gaining muscle mass are usually taken for a long time, so any repeated negligence in their use can cause the development of serious chronic diseases.
Men should refrain from taking soy cocktails, as they contain phytoestrogens that inhibit potency.
How to take protein shakes
In order for the muscles to steadily increase their size, the intake of various kinds of proteins in the body must lie in the range from 1.8 to 2.2 g per pounds of athlete’s weight. Dosage depends on the composition of the cocktail, daily diet and the recommendations of a particular manufacturer. Protein shakes are best absorbed when the mixture has room temperature.
Most often, the protein is taken in 3 portions during the day. The first of them is taken half an hour before breakfast. The second is used immediately after sports training. The third serving is best taken at bedtime. In this case, casein mixtures should be chosen. Proteins of casein compounds are absorbed slowly, so the cocktail “works” all night.
All cocktails are best taken freshly prepared. Refrigerated storage should be reduced to 8 hours. This time directly depends on the composition of the cocktail. Some components of protein mixtures with fruits and berries are oxidized within 3 hours after preparation.
Names and review of pharmacy cocktails, prices
TOP 3 most popular protein shakes are:
- Optimum Nutrition, Gold Standard, 100% Whey. Whey protein from a mixture of concentrate, isolate and peptide chains. Each 110-calorie serving contains 3 g of carbohydrates and 24 g of protein. The price for a 5 pounds can is about $ 54. The company that produces these mixtures has more than 30 years of history and is one of the pioneers in the production of protein shakes.
- Transparent labs Protein Series 100% Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate. This smoothie does not contain a single gram of carbohydrates. Mixes of this brand rarely appear in American stores. Most often they are brought to order from abroad. The price is high: from $ 95. for the traditional 5 pounds.
- Muscletech, Performance Series, Phase8, Multi-Phase 8-Hour Protein. A serving contains 26 g of protein and only 7 g of carbohydrates. She gives the body 150 calories. It costs in stores in USA from $ 54. for a standard can of 5 pounds.
What foods are homemade sports cocktails made of
To make an inexpensive but effective protein shake at home , you should pay attention to low-fat, low-calorie foods. Is meat an indisputable leader boiled chicken breast. Among plants, soy is the leader in protein concentration. Of the crops, most protein can be found in buckwheat.
Protein shakes for gaining muscle mass are often prepared from low-fat cottage cheese, eggs and fish. These products are rich not only in proteins, but also in essential trace elements. For fortification, various fresh fruits are often added to cocktails.
|No.||The product’s name||Cocktail Challenge|
|1||Sour-milk drinks||Protein Shake Foundation|
|2||Lean meat||Primary Amino Acid Provider|
|3||Low or medium fat cottage cheese||Protein cocktail ingredient|
|4||Honey, jam or syrup||Biologically active flavor enhancers and natural sugar suppliers|
|5||Berries||Suppliers of Fresh Vitamins, Micro and Macronutrients|
|6||Bananas||Fiber, Potassium, and Fast Carbs Suppliers|
|7||Liquid forms of vitamins and homeopathic medicines||Strengthening useful properties, including specific ones.|
As you can see, when making protein shakes, it is quite possible to do without scarce exotic components. All the necessary products can be easily found on the market or in the nearest store.
In relation to egg white, it is worth noting that it is more rational for sports mixes to use ready-made liquid egg white, which is already pasteurized and bottled.
At home, the general procedure for making cocktails is as follows:
- Choose the product that serves as the basis of the mixture. Most often, skim milk or yogurt is taken for this. Almond or soy low cholesterol milk is also widely used.
- Choose the second main protein ingredient. The most popular in this regard are low-fat cottage cheese, quail and chicken eggs, dry sports mixes.
- Add fruits, berries or synthetic vitamins.
- To enrich the mixture with additional protein and as a thickener rich in fiber, add flakes or bran.
- Enhance the taste of the resulting mixture with cinnamon, cocoa or similar ingredients.
Benefits of Natural Protein Shakes
The main advantage of protein mixes lies in the wide variability of their application. For example, cocktails made from low-fat cottage cheese are an excellent source of prolonged protein. For the suspension of catabolic processes, mixtures that are based on ready-made egg white are quite suitable.
The second plus of home mixes is the ability to independently select the highest quality and fresh products. In this case, it is quite possible to avoid the use of gene-modified components in food.
With a constant formula for the optimal ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, one can widely experiment with the taste and nature of the amino acids that are ingested. This eliminates the taste of food and gives a chance for some gastronomic variety.
a significant case for home protein mixtures this is a complete protection against the use of low-quality fakes, often found in sports stores.
Homemade Protein Shakes Recipes
Mixing homemade cocktails does not take much time. As a rule, it is quite possible to meet the deadline of 10 minutes. From the equipment, it is quite enough to have a household blender that allows you to beat mixes. Typically, the recipes for such dishes are simple. Below is a recipe for some of the most popular protein-rich shakes.
To make this cocktail you will need a very modest set of products:
- 6,76 fluid ounce of low-fat milk with a short shelf life;
- 1 chicken egg;
- 1 teaspoons Sahara.
Despite a modest set of ingredients, such a mixture contains all the necessary amino acids.
With cottage cheese
The composition of this protein drink will include:
- 200 g low-fat cottage cheese;
- 3,38 fluid ounce of bifidoyogurt or low-fat kefir;
- 3,38 fluid ounce pineapple juice;
- 1 medium persimmon.
Such a cocktail is quite saturated with fresh natural vitamins and beneficial intestinal bacteria.
This cocktail has an interesting taste and includes not only proteins, but also carbohydrates necessary for replenishing energy.
- 1 small frozen banana;
- 0,3 – 0,4 pint of almond milk;
- 3,38 fluid ounce of low-fat yogurt or biologically active starter culture;
- 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
- 25-30 g of vanilla protein.
The resulting mixture must be beaten with a mixer for 2 minutes until a homogeneous dense mass is obtained.
With ice cream
In the summer months, ice cream will give extra freshness to protein mixes.
One of the possible recipes is:
- 3,38 fluid ounce creamy ice cream;
- 2 medium sized bananas
- 0,1 gallon of nonfat cow’s milk.
This mix will help restore strength and transfer the effect on the body of sweltering summer heat.
From a nutritional point of view, mixtures containing walnuts are very interesting. The caloric content of such nuts is about 500 kcal / 100 g.
To make a cocktail, make up a mix of:
- 1 chicken egg;
- 1 tablespoon honey;
- 2 walnuts;
- 6,76 fluid ounce of low-fat kefir.
Nut vegetable fats do not contain cholesterol, and the arginine they contain gives the blood vessels elasticity.
Kefir, in comparison with milk, is much more easily absorbed by the body. It is saturated with vitamins. Cocktails based on it accelerate metabolism and normalize digestion.
Here is the recipe for one of the kefir cocktails:
- 6,76 fluid ounce of low-fat kefir;
- 1 tablespoon honey;
- 1 chicken egg;
- 1 chopped walnut.
This drink is extremely rich in bacteria necessary for digestion and all kinds of trace elements.
Fruits are an indisputable source of vitamins and minerals. They can be safely included in protein mixes.
For example, mix:
- 1 chicken egg;
- 200 g of the prepared fruit mix or 1 medium-sized sour apple;
- 6,76 fluid ounce low fat yogurt.
Ideally, the selected fruit should be grown without the use of chemicals.
From berries to gain mass and increase immunity
After intense sports training, mixtures containing wild berries come to the rescue.
- 100 g of boiled chicken breast;
- 150 g of forest berries (blueberries or wild strawberries);
- standard single serving of whey protein;
- 1 small banana.
Chicken breast and protein will provide shock doses of protein, and berries will add vitamins to the body.
To make such a cocktail, you will need:
- 3 tablespoon instant cocoa powder;
- 0,3 gallon of whey protein;
- 16,91 fluid ounce skim milk;
- 100 g fat-free cottage cheese.
Athletes use such protein shakes for gaining muscle mass both before the workout and immediately after it. The ingredients are dissolved in heated, but not boiling milk.
To give the bored mixes a new interesting taste, you can use berries.
Here is the recipe for one of these mixes:
- 150 g of low-fat granular cottage cheese;
- 8,45 fluid ounce of fresh milk;
- 150 g of strawberries.
Strawberry not only helps to significantly increase immunity, but also has a healing effect on joints and blood vessels.
Muscle Growth Cocktail
Of the products that are most popular among adherents of a healthy lifestyle, make up such a cocktail:
- 16,91 fluid ounce of skim milk;
- 4 chicken eggs of the highest or first grade;
- 200 g of low-fat loose curd;
- 50 g of honey;
- 30 g low-fat sour cream.
If quail eggs are used instead of chicken eggs, then the amount of this particular ingredient is doubled. This practically does not affect the composition of the obtained amino acids.
With quail eggs and sour cream
Quail eggs are much richer than chicken eggs in the composition of trace elements and vitamins, and also lack salmonella. They have a nutritional value greater than the usual chicken.
With them you can make a very tasteful cocktail, which will include:
- 10 quail eggs;
- half a gallon of skim milk;
- 50 g of berry jam;
- 250 g of granular cottage cheese;
- 100 g of dry milk formula or baby food;
- 100 g low-fat sour cream;
- 50 g of raisins;
- 50 g dried apricots.
Brewer’s yeast is saturated with B vitamins, minerals, enzymes and nucleic acids. The protein content in them is 52% of the total weight. Among the amino acids included in the yeast are the essential BCAAs.
For a cocktail you will need:
- 2 teaspoons “Live” brewer’s yeast;
- 6,76 fluid ounce of citrus juice;
- 0,5 gallon of dry protein mixture;
- 2 chicken or 4 quail eggs.
Yeast added to smoothies enhances nervous activity and physical performance. Yeast is produced in the form of flakes, in the form of tablets, and in powders.
It is worth remembering that beer yeast supplies plant estrogens to the body, which can lead to changes in the s
tructure of the male body and cause local obesity, typical for women.
In high-intensity workouts, your muscles may need more than usual amounts of carbohydrates. In this cocktail, extra carbohydrates are derived from milk and banana. And low-fat cottage cheese has all the necessary animal proteins.
The composition of one of the cocktails that solves this problem is as follows:
- 200 g fat-free cottage cheese;
- 1 large banana
- 6,76 fluid ounce of milk.
Protein shakes used to gain optimal muscle mass are not in themselves a guarantee of high results. Whatever composition the selected mixes have, serious work in the gym will be required to give the muscles volume, strength and relief.
Ready-Made Protein Shakes Video
Is there an effect of a dry protein shake: