Thanks to modern finds of the nail industry, even owners of short nails can treat themselves and surprise others with stunning patterns. To do this, use extended nail plates and a special tool – a primer for nails (what is it, and how to use it – later in the article). It is designed as an artificial soil mixture.
- What is a primer for nails
- Why do I need a primer for nails
- Types of Nail Primer
- What is primer for gel polish for
- What is a shellac primer for
- Primer for regular nail polish
- How to choose a primer for nails
- How to use a primer for nails
- How to apply primer for gel polish
- How to use an acid-free primer with a sticky layer
- The best acid primers
- The best acid free primers
- The best prep primers
- Where to buy a primer for nails
- How to distinguish a primer for nails from the base
- Primer replacement
- Nail Primer Video
What is a primer for nails
Primer for nails is the basis for the implementation of manicure (nail extensions). The liquid is often used to strengthen the natural surface when using acrylic or gel materials. Due to the proper use of this fluid, artificial manicure will last much longer, your nails will remain less deformed.
A nail primer (what it is and how it is applied, described below) is a liquid without aroma or color. On sale are primers in glass bottles with a brush for ease of application. To ensure greater safety of the product, the bottle is made opaque in order to protect it from sunlight. Developers do not add flavorings or colorings to ensure safe use for people with hypersensitivity or allergies. Nail fluid dries very quickly, this can be seen when a white coating appears after processing. This means that you can continue to work with building up.
Why do I need a primer for nails
Primer is widely in demand in professional salons and when performing manicure work independently.
Depending on the type of work and materials, specialized fluids vary slightly, but the main tasks for all types are the same:
- guarantees comprehensive protection of the natural nail plate from the appearance of yellow plaque, exfoliation, the formation of fungal microflora;
- avoiding the use of a primer, the risk of a “greenhouse effect” between the natural and artificial nail plate is likely. This entails the formation of harmful microorganisms under the extended nails;
- effective bonding of the extended surface. The durability of the completed manicure depends on the quality and reliability of the primer;
- functional degreasing of the nail before extension.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How to draw monograms on nails step by step for beginners. Instructions with photos.
Types of Nail Primer
In the free market today you can buy two main types of primers: acid and acid-free.
The difference between them is characterized in the final quality of the manicure and appearance:
- The primer for nails (what it is and what its purpose can be read above) of the acid variety stimulates the opening of the nail scales, after which it etches the surface of a natural nail, so the artificial surface has a better grip. This tool strongly dries natural nails, so it is best used for fatty nails, especially nails in the form of a springboard. Using an acid primer, you must be careful to limit its entry into the eyes, the area of the mucosa. Otherwise, burning, redness will appear.
- The acid-free primer for nails works according to the principle of “double adhesive tape”, due to which the natural plate and gel coating have the strongest adhesion. The advantage of this fluid is that a special component changes acidity. This makes the acidity of a natural nail as close to artificial turf as possible. This is a more gentle product, less dangerous for the skin, but in terms of effectiveness it is used along with acid. The tool is best suited for gel building. The acid-free primer effectively removes fat from the nail plate, dries it, and prevents the appearance of fungal infections.
What is primer for gel polish for
Depending on the base, each type of primer has its purpose in combination with gel polish:
- When choosing an acid-free primer, a more stable adhesion of the gel to the surface of a natural nail will be provided. Due to this, in the future there will be fewer chips, cracks and delamination.
- For those who have a thin and brittle nail plate, it is better not to use acidic agents as the base layer. This will dry the plate more and worsen its condition.
- You can apply gel polish without primers, as was done before, but the durability of such a coating leaves much to be desired.
Gel polish after prolonged use negatively affects the nail, and a special tool protects and protects the natural plate.
What is a shellac primer for
Primer for nails (what it is and why it is needed, described above) makes it easy to apply shellac, increases its durability and creates a beautiful appearance of nails.
The use of a special fluid provides the following:
- degreasing and disinfecting of a natural nail;
- easy drying;
- natural plate structure protection;
- increased adhesion.
For shellac, acid-free primers or bonds are most often used.
Primer for regular nail polish
Even when using simple nail polish, the primer will not be superfluous. It can be applied as a primer, which prepares the coating for painting. The choice of primer guarantees a more durable storage of varnish on the nail plate.
A special tool protects a natural nail from adverse chemical elements in the composition of varnish. Also, it is thanks to the primer that the varnish coating is perfectly smooth, the natural defects of the nail are smoothed out.
How to choose a primer for nails
When choosing a primer for home use, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics of the product:
1. High acid levels in the primer. It is important to monitor the presence of methacrylic acid in the composition. In large quantities, it causes burning, redness and can damage a natural nail. Therefore, acid primers are best used only in the salon with an experienced master.
2. It is better to opt for acid-free primers. In this case, the product packaging should be marked “non-acid”. Acid-free primer, penetrating into the layers of the nail plate, forms a sticky coating, due to which the material is better and stronger will hold on a natural nail.
How to use a primer for nails
In order to obtain the expected result as a result, the primer must be applied according to a special scheme, observing the exact sequence:
- Perform a standard hygienic manicure.
- To give the nail plate a beautiful desired shape.
- Using a special buff, orange stick or pumice, carefully remove the cuticle.
- Correct the glossy surface of a natural nail with a gentle nail file.
- Treat the surface with a dehydrator to remove stickiness and grease.
- After th
at, you can apply the primer by brushing a small ball of the product and evenly distributing it on the nail plate.
- Remove excess funds with a cotton swab dipped in running water.
- It is better to apply the product in a thin layer, otherwise the possibility of opening the scales on the nail worsens.
- Wait a minute until the product is completely dry. Often, the product dries simply in the air; in some cases, drying in a UV lamp is required. In this case, there will be a special mark on the package.
- Apply varnish, gel or top as you wish.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How to build gel nails with varnish. Nail extension instruction for beginners. Photo.
How to apply primer for gel polish
A primer for nails (what it is you can study on the network yourself or consult a master) is an additional fastener between artificial and natural nails. Due to its high adhesion, the primer reliably and firmly holds the gel along the edges of the nail and at the ends (in the most vulnerable places).
The technology for applying primer to gel polish consists in the following points:
- Perform a hygienic manicure.
- Make nails the desired shape.
- Move the cuticle with a wooden stick.
- Remove the glossy layer from a natural nail with a 220 grit buff.
- Be sure to degrease the nail using a dehydrator. This will help to remove dust, grease, excess moisture from the surface of the nail.
- Apply a primer to the entire nail plate.
- After using the base, varnish, gel.
The primer dries almost instantly, in comparison with analog gel products. The manufacturer of primers eliminated the need to dry the coating under a UV lamp. If necessary, a special mark is made on the packaging. Therefore, before proceeding with use, it is necessary to carefully study the instructions.
How to use an acid-free primer with a sticky layer
After application to the nail surface, many products leave a sticky layer, due to which an improved adhesion is formed. They reliably and firmly hold the drug for building.
But, experienced craftsmen note that in comparison with analogue drugs, these funds dry out a little longer. Therefore, they must be applied with a thin layer to ensure more rapid drying.
You do not need to try to speed up the drying process (blow on the nails), otherwise air bubbles may form. To do this, you need to take a small amount of funds on the brush. If the surface is still wet a minute after drying, pat it dry with a dry cloth.
Acid-free primers do not need to be dried under a special lamp, but many manufacturers systematically introduce new products, so it is better to carefully study the instructions and conduct an allergy test before using the substance. It is assumed that some groups of acid-free primers require drying under a lamp.
The best acid primers
Top Acid Primers:
- The most popular and popular brand is Vogue Nails , which, despite its composition, does not have a sharp aroma . The primer is applied by a standard method to a clean, degreased plate. The tool effectively retains gel polish on the surface of the nails for a long time, more than 30-40 days you can not perform the correction. But, at the same time, it is worth knowing that the Vogue Nails tool is quite aggressive, after prolonged use minor damage to the nail plate may occur.
- Reasonably priced NeoNail is highly effective and strong . The NeoNail primer can be purchased for only $ 3 – $ 4, it prevents peeling and does not injure the nail.
- The inexpensive LianaiL primer can be bought for independent use for only $ 4,08. Numerous reviews confirm high efficiency, durability, when used, chips and cracks in the material do not appear.
- Highly effective gelish nail primer from the Gelish company will cost customers only $ 5,44. The primer effectively removes excess moisture, degreases and disinfects the nail. One of the most ideal options.
- Primer “PNB” is an inexpensive, but effective tool with high performance. The cost is approximately $ 3 – $ 4. Cons are an uncomfortable bottle and brush, as well as a very pungent odor.
The best acid free primers
The most popular acid-free primers:
- The popular acid-free Bluesky primer . The primer effectively holds gel and acrylic material on the nail plate. When used, drying under the lamp is not required. Apply the product with a minimal layer to give the drug a better dry. If after a minute it does not dry, blot the nail plate with a dry cloth. Before processing the nails with decorative material, it is worth waiting for the primer to completely dry. The Bluesky structure has an oil base and no harsh aroma. It is mainly used before applying the base.
- For a thorough preparation for the implementation of manicure suitable means “Luxio” . The primer differs from its analogues in high performance, but costs almost $ 18.
- The American-made Cuccio is an effective nail primer . The advantage is an affordable pricing policy, a primer costs $ 8 – $ 9.
- The liquid from the Chinese manufacturer “Canni” is quite cheap – only $ 3 – $ 3. Despite the low price, the product is highly effective, can degrease, disinfect, effectively adheres to nail surfaces. Disadvantages – an uncomfortable brush for applying, as well as a sharp unpleasant aroma.
- The acid-free Kodi primer is at the top of the ranking of top products . Buyers respond well to the composition, reliability, reasonably affordable cost, convenient method of application. The product line of this brand also has acid primers.
The best prep primers
Often prep primer is recommended to be used before applying the classic primer. The advantage of the drug is the fact that there is no negative effect on the structure of the nail plate. What is the Bond primer for nails, not many know. This tool is recommended to be used only before the material for building is applied.
Among the most popular prep primers, the following types are distinguished:
- The product from Hong Kong manufacturers “ZO” is a universal primer that is used as a primer and can be used as a base coat. The cost of the tool is quite affordable – it is $ 6,8.
- Cheap nail tool “inGarden” , which will cost customers only $ 3,13, has sufficiently high adhesive properties, effectively degreases the surface. The advantage of the tool is its safety for the nail plate and the skin around it.
- High-quality primer “YOKO” has good adhesion qualities, demonstrates high-quality adhesion . The price of the tool is about $ 4,08.
- The EzFlow degreasing fluid does not contain dyes, flavors , therefore it does not cause irritation or an allergic reaction. The primer dries up almost instantly, but the cost of the product is quite high – $ 14.
- The CND primer is considered to be one of the highest quality , but it has a high cost – $ 16. It is perfect for use on weak, thin nails, provides a durable and high-quality extension. Due to the unique formula of the composition, the primer is hypoallergenic, does not cause burning, burns.
Where to buy a primer for nails
To get the desired result, it is better to buy funds in reliable beauty salons, well-known online stores. This will guarantee a quality product.
How to distinguish a primer for nails from the base
The problem with how to distinguish a primer from a base for nails worries mainly newcomers to the nail industry. This question may arise due to the fact that the functions of these two products are quite similar, they provide adhesion to the surface of a natural nail and a false substance. It should be understood that the primer is not a separate layer.
This is just an impregnation liquid that does not dry in the lamp.
The base is a 3-component coating layer, a sticky top layer, gloss and a layer that polymerizes under the rays of a UV lamp.
The primer must be used necessarily, and the nail base is recommended to be used only when it is planned to apply single-phase gel varnishes for coating. Otherwise, the result of the buildup may not be so durable.
If it is not possible to use a primer, its corresponding analogues are quite suitable:
- Less aggressive prep primer or bond. This is a more gentle preparation that does not adversely affect the natural plate.
- If there are no special tools at hand, you can use a simple cologne or perfume, which also effectively degreases nails.
- Standard liquid or acetone will help remove dust, grease from a natural nail plate.
- Food vinegar will cope with degreasing and disinfection before applying the building material.
- Boric acid is a worthy alternative to primer.
It’s important to know! Do not use products containing oils as a substitute for the primer.
In order for the extension to work out, as intended, it is necessary to strictly follow the advice and consult with an experienced master in advance on what a primer for nails is and how to use it correctly. Experienced experts recommend choosing a primer that does not require special drying under the lamp. This will help reduce labor costs and uptime.
Nail Primer Video
What is a primer for nails for:
Which primer to choose – acidic or acidless: