Phonophoresis procedure is an ultrasonic energy used to increase the permeability of the skin of the face and body, allowing you to absorb hydrocortisone and other drugs by the tissues.
- The essence of technology
- Mechanism of action
- Home Benefits
- Apparatus for home treatment
- Substances and preparations for phonophoresis: Hydrocortisone
- Hyaluronic Acid Application
- With contractubex
- With fermencol
- With caripain
- With lidase
- Execution technique
- Phonophoresis effect
- Phonophoresis video
The essence of technology
Phonophoresis of a person with hydrocortisone since its appearance in 1954 has become a very popular clinical method for the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries in athletes.
Unlike iontophoresis, phonophoresis is believed to drive whole molecules through the skin into the underlying tissues and bloodstream. The pulse method is usually used for continuous absorption of drugs and, as a rule, is used to treat the musculoskeletal system, such as bursitis and tendonitis.
Phonophoresis requires an ultrasound machine. This is a non-injection method for delivering certain drugs. Anti-inflammatory drugs are supplied with its use.
Specially trained therapists can treat patients using this method in order to administer the drug directly in the patient’s area of concern. The action of ultrasonic vibrations is a special transmission of waves at the level of body cells, due to which there is an effective effect on certain pathologies and diseases.
The effectiveness of ultrasound is explained by the fact that it is able to create waves with a frequency in the range from 900 to 4000 kHz, due to which it penetrates deep into the tissue and has a therapeutic effect on the body.
For a stronger effect, certain medications are used, namely: vitamins, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs, hydrocortisone. Ultrasound penetrates no more than 2’4 inch, is able to heat tissues, increasing the sensitivity of white and red blood cells.
This procedure is used in almost all areas of medicine, so the specialist selects medications for a specific case. This drug is multifunctional, as it is used as an antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic agent.
Mechanism of action
Transportation of the drug through the skin barrier is limited by its ability to cross the outermost layer of the skin – the horny. Since this layer consists of dead stratified squamous epithelial tissue, its permeability is largely dependent on its hydration level.
Removing part of the stratum corneum using abrasion significantly increases the absorption of the drug until the layer is restored after 2 to 3 days.
The easiest way to pass through the skin is through the hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Follicles serve as the main route of transmission. Heating the skin before phonophoresis increases the rate of drug transfer, thereby increasing local delivery.
Conversely, heating immediately after phonophoresis increases the rate of absorption of drugs by the vascular system, thereby reducing local delivery, but increasing systemic delivery.
Instruments and sensors with which treatment or cosmetic procedures occur usually have many intensity modes. When choosing them, the doctor or cosmetologist always focuses on the main problem, so as not to disturb the dermal or upper layer of the skin. Then the doctor tries to establish a certain intensity, focusing on the patient’s feelings and taking into account its features.
Phonophoresis of the face with hydrocortisone exists in 3 different variations:
- High frequency. High frequencies are used for some procedures in cosmetology, mainly on the face. At high frequency, ultrasonic waves cannot penetrate deeply, maximum 1’2 inch.
- Midrange. Mid frequencies are used in cosmetology to eliminate subcutaneous fat by exposure to ultrasonic vibrations or cellulite. Also, such phonophoresis is suitable for getting rid of scars with the drug Lidaza. The second type of phonophoresis penetrates deeper into the tissue, about 2 inch.
- Low frequency. With its help, ultrasonic vibrations penetrate deep into the connective tissues, warm them up and have a therapeutic effect in case of problems such as severe inflammation. In this case, the intensity of ultrasonic waves is the highest. Fluctuations warm the tissues and eliminate the cause of the appearance of inflammatory processes.
The intensity of the waves is of 2 types:
- Impulsive waves. These waves are not able to warm up tissues and penetrate deeply, therefore they are suitable even for very sensitive skin, treatment of inflammatory processes and rosacea, special diseases requiring a delicate and sparing treatment regimen, as well as for pediatric therapy. These waves are completely painless to use with instruments and sensors, so patients can easily tolerate such procedures.
- Permanent waves. Used for more serious disorders, such as treatment and elimination of scars on the skin, hematomas and striae.
The advantages of phonophoresis:
- A non-invasive method of administering drugs to tissues under the skin.
- Alternative for injection.
- Ensures the penetration of drugs into the target area.
- No side effects and quick recovery.
- Helps in the treatment of a wide range of diseases.
Phonophoresis is indicated to solve the following problems:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain.
- Cellulite and excess weight.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Phonophoresis of a person with hydrocortisin is a fairly responsible procedure, and therefore it has contraindications, which must be taken into account.
The procedure is not recommended when:
- vegetative-vascular dystonia;
- inflammation and irritation in the area of the procedure;
- epiphysis of growing bones;
- with heart disease;
- malignant tumors;
- violation of blood circulation;
- diseases of the reproductive organs;
- ischemic diseases;
- metabolic disorders;
- problems in gynecology, namely diseases of the uterus and ovaries;
- the presence of
- diabetes mellitus;
- in the presence of chemical peels;
- the presence of infections that are associated with impaired immunity.
You should also pay special attention to the drugs used. It is important that they do not have allergic reactions. There are no significant side effects associated with phonophoresis.
However, treatment should not be carried out in the area of neoplasms, in infected areas, metal parts implanted inside the body, vascular abnormalities and sensitive areas such as the eyes, groin, skull and abdominal area of a pregnant woman.
Carrying out any type of phonophoresis at home has its own characteristics and advantages. First of all, the procedure does not require large cash costs, but for this it is necessary to have special equipment, devices and sensors, drugs.
It is advisable to have a medical education or take special cosmetology courses. For the procedure, professional devices must be present.
A phased description of the procedure for phonophoresis at home:
- It is necessary to seat the patient on a chair in a comfortable position.
- Check the intensity of the ultrasound machine to make sure it is turned off.
- Apply warm gel for axons (found in ultrasonic gel heaters) on the treated area and on the surface of the ultrasound head. When conducting phonophoresis, the hydrocortisone gel is first applied to the treatment area, and then the gel for axons. Since phonophoresis involves the penetration of prescription drugs into the tissue, it must be prescribed or orally authorized by the supplier.
- Set the continuous / pulse setting as indicated in the table. Set a timer for the specified time (usually 5 to 10 minutes) to start treatment.
- To move the ultrasound head continuously in a circular motion slowly enough to ensure proper penetration of chemical compounds, but fast enough to avoid excessive effects on the body, a feeling of intense heat and pain. At the same time, it is necessary to increase the intensity gradually to the indicated intensity (usually 0.5-1.5 W / inch 2) and make sure that the patient does not experience discomfort.
- When pulse tuning is used (as with phonophoresis to a small treatment area), there is no need to move the ultrasound head.
After treatment is complete, remove the drug from the surface of the skin and ultrasound head. If necessary, usd the skin with alcohol.
Apparatus for home treatment
Having decided to start phonophoresis at home, you can choose for yourself various devices.
More suitable are:
- Delta Combi. This device with a huge set of functions of several therapeutic devices at the same time. It is a neurostimulator and an ultrasound device that is suitable for home use in diseases and complications of various forms. The device is compact, but, despite this, has a large set of programs for the treatment of diseases. It is easy to manage and does not require specific knowledge for training in use.
Using devices, it is possible to carry out 3 types of therapies:
- Therapy using medical drugs.
- Therapy without the use of medications.
- Delta OUT. It is widely used in many areas of cosmetology. In terms of functionality, it is not one step inferior to the devices in the cosmetologist’s offices, but at the same time compact, in contrast to stationary ones. In the arsenal of the apparatus there are many modes of various orientations, with which it is possible to treat diseases.
- AUTN-01 RONET. It activates the metabolism in the human body, penetrates by its action into the distant tissue layers and into the internal organs, improves the functioning of cells, dissolves scars and relieves spasms. It also improves blood circulation and regulates the smooth muscle function.
The device should be selected taking into account the initial problem and the achievement of individual results. Be sure to follow the instructions in order to avoid causing damage to your body.
Substances and preparations for phonophoresis: Hydrocortisone
Phonophoresis of a person with hydrocortisone (a special hormone that is an analogue of the hormone produced in the kidneys) is used to achieve molecular motion, which causes friction of particles and an increase in tissue temperature.
It can increase local blood flow, collagen extensibility and muscle relaxation, decrease pain and muscle spasm, and it also increases local blood circulation and enzyme activity. The purpose of phonophoresis is the penetration of a local drug using ultrasound as a transmission medium. Most often, hydrocortisone is used as an anti-inflammatory agent.
The drug is able to act as an antibacterial, antiallergic, antipruritic substance. It helps to block the production of allergens, relieves allergy symptoms, and reduces sensitivity (with impulsive vibrations). Hydrocortisone is also able to affect metabolism in the body: metabolic and lipid.
You can not conduct phonophoresis with hydrocortisone for a long time, since this can cause problems with the adrenal glands, namely, the cessation of hormone production by the body. For treatment, you need to go through 7-8 courses, which is short-term. With such courses, damaged tissues are completely cleaned and restored.
Phonophoresis is indicated for diseases of the kidneys, spine and joints; hydrocortisone is rarely used in cosmetology. Phonophoresis with hydrocortisone can be performed both at home and in the salon.
Hyaluronic Acid Application
Hyaluronic acid, together with phonophoresis, is most often carried out for cosmetic rather than therapeutic purposes. Before treating the skin with ultrasonic vibrations, hyaluronic acid is applied to it, which is able to heat up, penetrate deep into the tissue and act directly on the treatment area.
Face cleansing. Hyaluronic acid
. It is able to penetrate into the pores under the action of ultrasonic vibrations and clean them from acne. It is also important not to carry out the procedure with strong sensitivity of the skin of the face, as intensive modes will be used, which can leave burns on the face.
- Cellulite elimination. Typically, this procedure is done on a specific area of the body, for example, the abdomen or hips. Hyaluronic acid is applied to the selected area, and a food film is used to create a more pronounced effect of the sauna. Then the beautician conducts on the problem area of the body with different sensor intensities. Although cellulite will not go away in one session, it will be enough 3-4 times to get fresh and renewed skin. In the same way, weight loss occurs at the waist. Only in this case, the master puts more pressure on fat deposits.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Contractubex is a drug that is used in most cosmetic procedures.
With its help, the following procedures are carried out:
- removal of scars from the skin;
- ultrasonic facial cleansing;
- getting rid of cellulite and extra inch in the waist;
- elimination of pigmentation and imperfections on the face.
Fermencol is a drug that is used with phonophoresis in cosmetology. It is able to smooth the surface of the skin and eliminate wrinkles, get rid of imperfections, pigmentation and scars.
Caripain is a dry powder preparation for the treatment of spine and hernias. Together with phonophoresis, the drug has warming and anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to effective treatment.
Lidase is a special enzyme that can break down collagen fibers, especially on scar tissue. It has a pronounced effect on the connective tissue of the body, splitting its base.
The strength and depth of phonophoresis with Lidase depends on the power of the device. The procedure is recommended for patients with obvious skin defects on the face to smooth the surface of the skin. Most often it is used in cosmetology to eliminate any scars and acne residues.
Phonophoresis of the face regulates and improves cell metabolism, which is why it is especially often used in cosmetology for procedures such as ultrasonic facial cleansing, anti-cellulite massage, elimination of edema, getting rid of subcutaneous fat, and also for normalizing arterial circulation.
For this, Hydrocortisone, hyaluronic acid and other drugs with a similar principle of action are used.
The mechanism is practically no different from phonophoresis for therapeutic purposes. Its main task is the penetration of ultrasonic vibrations into tissues to obtain a cleansing effect.
Stages of ultrasonic face cleaning:
- Cleansing the skin of dirt and sebaceous gland products. For this, the master uses a special solution containing, as a rule, ordinary micellar water.
- When a person is prepared and cleaned, it must be disinfected to prevent infections from entering small wounds, if any.
- Then a special treatment solution is applied to the skin, for example, hyaluronic acid, or any other that can penetrate deep into the pores, cleansing them.
- The beginning of therapy with ultrasonic waves. For this, the cosmetologist transfers the sensor to each area of the skin and delays it for 15 seconds. At this time, the master must also adjust and change the power of the device. Typically, the beautician moves the sensor towards the eyelids and makes circular movements in the face. The process takes 15-20 minutes.
- Then the skin calms down by applying a moisturizer. Cells regenerate faster and the face looks fresh. The result is clear skin without acne and inflammation.
Basically, the effect of phonophoresis is lymphatic drainage massage, which is carried out on a specific area of the body. In various areas, these will be, respectively, various effects. For example, in cosmetology – a smoothing effect, from the procedure you can expect a smooth surface of the skin without flaws and pigmentation.
Some studies suggest that phonophoresis may not be more effective than typical ultrasound therapy for conditions such as myofascial pain syndrome (MPS). Other studies show that phonophoresis is more effective than ultrasound for conditions such as osteoarthritis of the knee.
Phonophoresis is generally considered more effective when used with other treatments or therapy. For example, a cuff can be used in addition to phonophoresis for the wrist or a disease such as De Kerven’s tenosynovitis.
One study suggests that phonophoresis is especially effective when used with gauze or another dressing. Dexamethasone with a gauze dressing called an occlusive dressing can be applied in at least 30 minutes. before ultrasonic waves are used to achieve better results.
Studies of the effect of phonophoresis showed that the hydrocortisone procedure increases the diffusion of the drug through the skin, but most hydrocortisone drugs for phonophoresis have been proposed as poor ultrasound transmitters.
How is the phonophoresis procedure of the face: