The drug Glucophage refers to drugs that are taken with diabetes. However, despite the instructions for use, it is used for other purposes, including overweight, high cholesterol, atherosclerosis, menopause in women.
- Release form
- Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Instructions for use
- The use of glucophage and insulin
- Aged people
- Patients with kidney disease
- Glucophage for weight loss
- How to take glucophage for weight loss
- Special instructions and precautions
- Doctors reviews
- Reviews of losing weight from the forums
- Interaction with other drugs
- Can I take with alcohol
- Side effects
- Overdose symptoms
- Shelf life and storage conditions
- Analogs of means
- Video about the drug Glucofage for weight loss
Instructions for use states that the active substance of the drug Glucophage is metformina hudrochloride. The composition of this medicament also includes a compound of a magnesium salt with stearic acid and a complexing agent povidone, which are auxiliary components.
Metformin (Glucophage) is a drug that has an oval and convex capsule shell.
It is produced in different dosages:
- 0.5 g and 0.85 g – milk-colored tablets, round, elongated, coated with a capsule shell;
- 1 g – tablet dosage form of milky color: round, elongated tablets, with a broken line in the middle. A distinctive feature of this type of medicine is the inscription 1000 on both sides of the tablet.
Glucophage (the instructions for use relate this medicine to antidiabetic drugs – biguanides) contribute to the normalization of the amount of glucose in human blood.
The primary purpose of this drug is the treatment of diabetes.
But Glucophage is also taken with:
- elevated cholesterol;
- high lipoproteins;
- high triglycerides;
- obesity and excess weight;
- menopause in women;
- secondary atherosclerosis.
Glucophage studies have shown that this medicine can be used in different areas of medicine.
Glucophage (the instructions for use are enclosed in the package) have restrictions on the use.
The main contraindications are:
- special sensitivity to the components of metformin;
- violation of carbohydrate metabolism as a result of lack of insulin;
- coma – with a sharp lack of insulin in the blood;
- pulmonary hypertension;
- liver disorder;
- hepatic encephalopathy;
- violation of the water-salt metabolism of the kidneys at any stage;
- severe stress;
- reduced immunity;
- period after operations;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- MRI with contrast (Glucofage is canceled a few days before and after);
- accumulation of lactic acid in the body (recorded at least once).
These contraindications are absolute. An additional contraindication is hypoglycemic therapeutic nutrition, which lowers blood sugar.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Pregnancy: since reliable data in modern medicine regarding the use of glucophage during pregnancy are insufficient, the period of pregnancy is an absolute contraindication.
The clinical trials that were conducted in the laboratories are ambiguous in the conclusions. It is not proven that the deformities that occur in the fetus are the result of taking metformin or have other causes.
Breastfeeding: Metformin or Glucofage almost does not penetrate into breast milk. But there is no exact research data, it is not known which portion of the medicine the child will receive, for this reason the instructions for the medicine indicate an absolute ban on taking the drug during feeding, which can become a protection for the life of the child and mother.
Instructions for use
Glucophage (the instructions for use describe all the nuances of using the drug) are prescribed for different categories of people. These are adults, children over 10 years old, people of advanced age. With various chronic diseases, the dosage of the drug and the regimen for its administration also vary.
When using only one type of medicine, no more than 0.5 g or 0.85 g of the drug is prescribed as an initial dose in the morning and evening after 12 hours.
If there are no side effects, then after two weeks the dosage of the drug is adjusted, in accordance with the results. You can reduce the amount of the drug taken if the glucose test shows a significant decrease in its level, or increase when the dose of Glucofage is not enough to cope with a pathologically elevated glucose level.
The dosage of the drug is usually increased gradually, otherwise hypoglycemia and undesirable manifestations from the stomach and intestines can be provoked. The maximum dose recommended by doctors is 3 g for 24 hours, evenly distributed over the number of meals. For example, if there are 5 meals per day – Glucophage is taken 5 times a day with meals.
The use of glucophage and insulin
To better control the amount of glucose, it may be necessary to combine glucophage with insulin. The starting dose of metformin is 0.5 g or 0.85 g of the drug twice a day, after 12 hours. The amount of insulin is selected based on the results of the glucose test.
The use of glucophage is allowed for children from 10 years old. The starting dose ranges from 0.25-0.85 g of the drug once a day. The drug is taken with food. Two weeks later, based on the results of therapy, the amount of medication can and should be adjusted.
The dosage of Glucophage is both increased and reduced very slowly so that there are no sudden surges in glucose or negative manifestations from the gastrointestinal tract.
The maximum dose for children is 2 g of the drug per day, which are distributed by the number of meals.
When treating this category of people, it is recommended to adjust the dosage of Glucophage on the basis of an examination of the work of the kidneys. Inspection is carried out every 2-4 months.
Patients with kidney disease
Glucophage (the instructions for use allow taking the medication for problems with the kidneys) for kidney pathology, taking into account restrictions – the level of creatinine should be in the acceptable range of 0.4-0.6 mmol / l.
The starting amount of Glucofage for such people is 0.5-0.85 g once a day with meals. The maximum dose of the drug per day is 1 g per day, divided into two doses, after 12 hours. Every 2-4 months it is necessary to
check the condition of the kidneys. If necessary, the use of glucophage stops.
Glucophage for weight loss
Glucophage is taken with excess weight, since, according to the instructions for use, it helps to reduce the level of bad cholesterol, triacylglycerides and lipoproteins in the body. The active components in the composition of Glucofage contribute to the normalization of glucose and reduce the production of the hormone insulin. This helps to reduce subcutaneous fat.
The principle of operation of Glucofage with excess weight:
- glucose absorption decreases – the root cause of extra pounds;
- fatty acids are broken down faster, which supply body cells with energy;
- protein kinase activity is activated (responsible for cell energy);
- gluconeogenesis (glucose synthesis) decreases;
- carbohydrates are delivered to the muscles faster;
- insulin sensitivity improves.
Scientists have determined that when eating food, the amount of glucose in the body increases, resulting in an increased release of the hormone insulin. If the amount of food consumed is not controlled, then this leads to a violation of metabolic processes in the body and excessive accumulation of body fat.
Medications based on metformin are used to reduce weight, but for the effectiveness of weight loss, dietary principles must be followed. It is imperative to limit the intake of sugar and white flour (in all forms).
How to take glucophage for weight loss
There are several types of therapy using Glucofage:
- Every day, 3 times before meals, 0.5 g. The appearance of side effects may indicate that the dosage is exceeded – there is a need to reduce the dose by half. Take the drug from 20 days to 1 month. Then they take a break for up to 3 months.
- The most optimal amount of metformin is 1.5–2 g per day. If there is no positive result with this dosage of the drug and all the reception conditions are met, you need to increase the dose to 3 g. But you can not take Glucophage in large quantities. The tool must be washed down with a sufficient amount of liquid (non-carbonated).
- Prolonged Glucophage. In this form, the drug is taken only twice a day. This will help reduce the desire to eat day and night. Prolonged Glucophage is taken only in a dosage of 0.5 g and 0.85 g.
- Glucophage in a dosage of 1 g can also be taken for weight loss. Depending on the individual characteristics of the body, it is possible to take the drug once a day or more. But the daily dosage should not be more than 3 g.
The most important condition for a positive result of using Glucofage to fight excess weight is the rejection of simple carbohydrates (or their consumption in minimal quantities).
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
Special instructions and precautions
When using Glucofage, there is a need to observe certain caution:
- Lactic acidosis is a pathological condition in which lactic acid accumulates in the human body, which causes coma. Such a process can be started by Glucophage only if a person has kidney problems. In addition, it can be caused by a lack of oxygen in the body, organs and muscle tissue. The reason for this condition is a prolonged hunger strike, alcohol and drug intoxication, which is accompanied by rapid breathing, abdominal cramps, and a drop in body temperature.
- Surgery. This type of treatment necessarily requires stopping the use of metformin two days before and two days after surgery.
- The work of the kidneys. Glucophage from the body is removed through the kidneys, therefore, mandatory monitoring of renal function is required: once a year – with normal kidney function. Every quarter – if creatinine is below 40 µmol / L.
- Childhood. It is not scientifically proven that glucophage in the treatment of children over the age of 10 years does not affect physical and sexual development. Therefore, control is needed. During the use of metformin for the treatment of children, it is necessary to control all growth and maturation parameters.
- Mandatory dietary principles.
- There is a need for glucose testing , especially for people who take Glucophage with insulin.
- Transport and mechanisms. These types of work are not prohibited when using metformin. But caution must be exercised, since each person may have an individual reaction to the drug.
Doctors’ opinions about the drug Glucophage in most cases are positive. Basically, Glucophage has established itself as a means to combat overweight and a drug that normalizes glucose levels during abnormal jumps.
There is an opinion of doctors that Glucophage has a positive effect on male strength, and also slows down the aging of the body. There are laboratory studies confirming this effect of glucophage on the human body.
Reviews of losing weight from the forums
In the instructions for use, the opinions of patients taking Glucophage are not presented, and among them there are very different ones, both confirming the positive effect of Glucophage and criticizing it for absolute futility and even the opposite effect.
For example, there is evidence that glucophage helps to lose weight after pregnancy. You can lose 22 pounds in 3 months. This may be enough with the average weight gain during pregnancy to return to normal weight.
According to another review, taking the drug not only did not contribute to weight loss, but also caused weight gain, which allows us to talk about the dependence of the action of the drug on the individual characteristics of the body.
Interaction with other drugs
There are absolute contraindications to the combination of Glucophage with certain medications, unwanted interactions and those that require increased atte
Special instructions for them:
- Absolute contraindications. These interactions include MRI with the introduction of a contrast medium. In this case, an increase in the level of lactic acid is possible, which causes coma. If it is necessary to conduct this examination, metformin is canceled two days before and is not taken two days after.
- Unwanted. Alcohol in combination with Glucofage could be attributed to absolute contraindications, if not for one feature: the amount of lactic acid increases only with severe intoxication and with an empty stomach. Ethanol-based drugs are also undesirable.
Requires increased attention:
- spiranolactone – not recommended for use with metformin. This combination can, on the contrary, increase the level of glucose in the blood;
- chlorpromazine in large quantities raises the level of glucose in the blood. Mandatory dose adjustment;
- glucocorticoids (any action) cause prediabetes, increase blood sugar. Mandatory glucose control and dose adjustment of metformin;
- diuretics. The combination of furosemide with Glucofage usually leads to an increase in the level of lactic acid due to pathologies with the kidneys;
- injections of adrenergic blockers increase the level of sugar in the body. Sugar control. If necessary, combine with insulin;
- calcium channel blockers increase the absorption and delay of glucophage in the body;
- narcotic analgesics. The combination of Glucophage with these drugs increases the effect of the latter on the body.
Can I take with alcohol
The combined use of metformin and alcoholic beverages is unacceptable. First of all, due to the possible development of lactic acidosis and, as a result, coma. Secondly, a mixture of glucophage and alcohol adds to the work of the liver. Especially if this body already has lesions.
Ethyl alcohol in combination with Glucofage can lower blood glucose to critically low numbers. This is fraught with a hypoglycemic coma, the symptoms of which can not be distinguished from intoxication and lead to death.
Glucophage has side effects:
- Metabolic processes – lactic acid may accumulate. The absorption of cobalamin (B12) is impaired.
- Neurology is a violation of the taste buds.
- Gastrointestinal tract – relaxation of stool, urge to vomit, decreased appetite.
- Skin – allergic reactions in the form of rash and irritation, erythema.
- The biliary system is a violation of the biochemical parameters of the liver.
The above side effects disappear immediately after discontinuation of the drug.
The main manifestations of an overdose include lactic acidosis, a condition in which the level of lactic acid rises sharply.
It manifests itself with symptoms such as:
- severe abdominal pain;
- indomitable vomiting;
- muscle pain.
The condition requires immediate medical attention in a hospital setting.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The shelf life of a drug is the time during which its use is safe for health. For dosages of 0.5 g and 0.85 g, the shelf life is up to 5 years, for a dosage of 1 g – up to 3 years. Shelf life is correct if the required storage temperature is observed – from 20 to 25 degrees Celsius.
The cost of glucophage depends on the dosage and the number of tablets in the package. The price of the drug varies from $ 1,63. per package (0.5 g – 30 tablets) up to $ 10,2. per package (1 g – 60 tablets).
Analogs of means
Glucophage has generics or drugs with a similar effect and the main active substance:
- Bagomet – a representative of oral hypoglycemic drugs. It consists of Glucofage and a sulfonylurea derivative. The price depends on the dosage and ranges from $ 1,77. up to $ 2,72.
- Gliformin is an oral drug of the pharmacological group of dimethyl beguanides , it increases the rate of removal of simple carbohydrates from the body, and inhibits the absorption of carbohydrates in the intestine. The cost of this drug is from $ 1,5. up to $ 4,76.
- Siofor – oral form of glucophage or its analogue. The drug helps to reduce triglycerides and lipoproteins. Against the background of taking Siofor, excess weight is effectively lost. The price of this drug ranges from $ 3,67. up to $ 5,03.
- Metformin is an oral form of the drug. In pharmacies, different dosages of this medicine are presented. This is a blood sugar lowering drug. It contributes to the process of fat oxidation. The price of this drug ranges from $ 0,14. up to $ 2,72, which depends on the dosage.
The drug Glucofage, which regulates the level of glucose in the body, is taken not only in case of diabetes mellitus, but also in the presence of excess weight in order to lose weight. When taking the drug, it is necessary to follow the instructions for use and not increase the dosage in excess of the norm. Glucophage has serious side effects, which occur including an overdose.
Video about the drug Glucofage for weight loss
How to take Glucofage or Siofor for weight loss and diabetes: