Chest exercises, which are performed in a gym, are aimed at the development of small and large pectoral muscles of the anterior chest wall. The training process, focused on this part of the body, involves the use of simulators , as well as sports equipment of strength training.
These include weights, barbells, dumbbells. To achieve the effect of the relief of muscle fibers and reduce the level of adipose tissue, exercises of own body weight are used. This is a horizontal bar and bars.
The essence and basic principles
Chest exercises that are performed in the gym should be based on the basic principles of the training process, and the organization of the training program depends on what result needs to be achieved.
The table below shows the essence and principles of performing exercises on the muscles of the chest:
|Basic principles||The essence of the training process|
|Training Regularity||To achieve a positive result in the development of the pectoralis major and minor muscle, it is necessary to regularly visit the gym, avoiding omissions. On average, during the week it is necessary to pump this muscle group at least 2-3 times. Gaps in the training process lead to a slower increase in muscle mass, and also do not contribute to an increase in physical strength.|
|Stretching the pectoralis major muscle||The pectoralis major muscle covers the front of the chest from the clavicle to the upper abdomen. In order to achieve the effect of the volume of the breast, as well as to give it a broader appearance, it is necessary to regularly perform exercises to stretch the muscle fibers. For this, training with dumbbells on a bench bench press is best suited. Sports equipment is thrown to the sides, and then reduced to the inside. Thus, physical activity is provided on the pectoralis major and minor muscles, and the effect of stretching the fibers is also achieved.|
|Pumping the upper pectoral muscle||In order to increase the productivity of training in the gym, it is necessary to pump all 3 main groups of chest muscles in turn. One of these steps is training the upper pectoralis major muscle. For this purpose, use a bench for bench press, which has a slope of 45 degrees. As a sports equipment use the Olympic barbell, weights or dumbbells.|
|Achieving a bump effect||To improve the aesthetic appearance of the pectoral muscles, to make them visually attractive with the allocation of anatomical contours, trainings are used to achieve relief. This effect can be obtained by uniformly pumping the upper, middle and lower chest. In this case, small weights are used and the emphasis is placed on the maximum number of repetitions. Due to this, muscle fibers become more dense, with a minimum amount of fluid and adipose tissue.|
|Strength training||At least 1 time in 2 weeks, it is necessary to create the effect of a stress load. For this, the training process is formed so that within 30-45 minutes. training in the gym, use only maximum weights. For example, to perform the bench press of the Olympic barbell with a weight that manages to push no more than 2-3 times. Moreover, all exercises should be performed correctly and without violating the technical side. Similar actions are carried out with dumbbells, weight on simulators and weights.|
|Exercises on the middle segment of the pectoralis major muscle||This part of the pectoralis major muscle is the widest. In order to pump it and ensure its high-quality development, it is necessary to perform exercises lying on a fully horizontal bench for bench press. As sports equipment can be used – barbell, dumbbells, weights, weights on simulators.|
|Endurance development||Trainings on the development of endurance of the pectoralis major and minor muscle are similar to the organization of the training process to achieve the effect of relief. To do this, use light weights and focus on the number of repetitions.|
|Using your own weight||The best result of the development of the pectoral muscles, as well as the long-term preservation of the obtained effect of relief and physical endurance, is achieved through the use of its own weight. To do this, exercises are performed on the horizontal bar, push-ups from the floor and parallel bars. As you build strength and increase the number of repetitions, additional weights are used for weighting. In addition, during pull-ups, not only the chest, but also the latissimus dorsi develops on the crossbar, which ensures uniform growth in the volume of the chest. Exercises on the bars stretch the muscle fibers of the chest, pump triceps and wings of the back.|
|Weight Training||This principle of the training process provides for the addition of additional weights to your own body weight. It can be dumbbells, pancakes from a folding Olympic barbell, kettlebell. A special athletic belt with a hook is put on a belt for fixing sports equipment. Weighted exercises are effective for pulling up on the horizontal bar, push-ups from the floor, uneven bars.|
|Lower chest workout||This direction in the development of the pectoral muscles involves exercises on the bench for the bench press, which is installed at an angle of 45 degrees, but in the opposite direction. While pumping the lower segment of the chest, the athlete’s body is positioned so that his head is tilted down. The peculiarity of this training is that it is not recommended to perform it using large weights. This is due to the rush of additional blood to the vessels of the brain.|
|Performing isolation breast exercises||Isolation workouts for breast development are exercises whose implementation involves the creation of physical activity exclusively on this part of the muscle fibers. In this case, the muscles of the arm, back, and shoulder girdle are minimally involved. To ensure the effect of isolated training, it is necessary to monitor the technical side of the exercises. You can not make jerks, bend your arms at the elbows, and also contribute to weight lifting using the muscles of other groups (deltas, forearms, biceps).|
Chest exercises in the gym can be performed independently, or under the supervision of a trainer or fitness instructor. Before starting the process of pumping the pectoral muscles, it is recommended to draw up an individual schedule with a schedule of days of the week on which training is provided.
At the same time, a list of exercises, the number of approaches and repetitions for each of the gym apparatuses is compiled.
Indications for use
Chest exercises in the gym are shown for regular performance in the presence of the following circumstances:
- stimulating the development of the muscular corset of the chest, which holds the bone tissue, improves the functioning of the musculoskeletal system, prevents injury to the ribs;
- the presence of excess body weight, which requires correction by performing exercises on the major and minor muscles of the chest (for example, a large amount of adipose tissue, which is localized in the front of the chest and creates the effect of gynecomastia in men);
- excessive thinness, deficiency of muscle tissue or signs of dystrophy (the training program is selected individually using minimal weights, which are added gradually as physical strength and muscle development);
- related exercises in power sports, which include the presence of well-developed pectoral muscles (boxing, swimming, weightlifting, shot put, weight-lifting);
- regular visits to the gym with pumping of other muscle groups (during the exercise on the back, it is necessary to pump the big and small muscles of the chest, since their joint development provides a quick set of muscle mass and an increase in the volume of the chest);
- improvement of metabolic processes in the body, stabilization of the balance of female and male sex hormones;
- development of physical endurance.
Exercise on the pectoral muscles is a complex training process that requires a thorough approach and the technically correct implementation of all actions.
Chest exercises in the gym are contraindicated for men and women who have diseases or other health problems.
- arterial hypertension, the course of which is accompanied by a periodic increase in pressure and hypertensive crises;
- heart diseases associated with a violation of its rhythmic activity (tachycardia, arrhythmia, bradycardia, angina pectoris);
- aortic aneurysm, which was diagnosed by a preliminary examination;
- previously transferred myocardial infarction (bench press bar may create additional stress on the heart and provoke a second attack);
- varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, as well as other pathologies of vascular tissue;
- hernia of the intervertebral disc, spinal injuries and other diseases of the back that violate the full functioning of the musculoskeletal system;
- arthrosis or inflammatory diseases of the elbow and shoulder joints (lifting heavy sports equipment can trigger an exacerbation of the disease);
- previously suffered chest injuries associated with a severe fracture of bone tissue;
- cerebral stroke (no matter how much time has passed since the moment of recovery, weight lifting is strictly contraindicated);
- all types of diseases of the central nervous system that disrupt the musculoskeletal system, can lead to loss of consciousness, dizziness, epileptic seizure;
- type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus (during exercise, a rapid drop in blood glucose can occur, which will lead to injury, the onset of hypoglycemic coma, and death is not excluded).
Exercises for the chest in the gym should be performed only after passing an examination of the body, passing a blood test, urine, ECG, measuring blood pressure and ultrasound to diagnose an internal organ that has signs of a chronic disease. In the absence of medical contraindications, the athlete is allowed to the gym equipment.
Before going to the gym and starting the training process, you must perform the following steps:
- to be examined by a general practitioner for hidden chronic diseases;
- to be equipped with a sports uniform, clothes in the form of sneakers, moccasins, shorts, T-shirts or a sports suit;
- purchase gloves for fitness to avoid rubbing dropsy and bloody calluses;
- drink at least 0,4 gallon of water during training;
- immediately after the exercise, eat an energy bar or a sandwich with meat, fish, butter;
- the average duration of the training should not exceed 1 hour;
- Before doing the exercises, you need to stretch your arms, back, legs, cervical and thoracic spine well.
In the event that during training, useful recommendations come from the side of the trainer or fitness instructor, do not ignore them. It is necessary to listen to useful tips and get the maximum benefit from visiting the gym.
In order to develop the large and small muscles of the chest as quickly as possible, it is recommended to perform the following set of physical exercises.
Bench press on a bench raised up
In this case, a gym equipment is used, which is equipped with a bench bench press. At the same time, its level of inclination is 45 degrees. The athlete lies down on the bench and presses his back against its surface as tightly as possible. Feet need to rest on the floor. On a deep breath, the weight-gain bar is removed from the mounting legs.
The neck should be shoulder width apart. On a deep breath, the bar lowers with his hands to his chest. On exhalation, a press of a sports apparatus is performed with full extension of the elbow joints. All movements should be smooth, without jerking or other sudden movements. It is recommended to perform 8-10 repetitions in 3 sets.
The total mass of pancakes is selected individually depending on the physical strength of the athlete. To pump the middle segment of the pectoralis major muscle and its lower part, a similar exercise is performed, but only a fully horizontal bench is used or tilted down (angle of 45 degrees).
To perform this exercise, a standard horizontal bench bench press is used. The athlete lies down on his back, rests his feet on the floor and spreads them as wide as possible, creating himself points of support to maintain balance. Hands should be extended forward, and dumbbells held in the palms.
When inhaling, sports equipment is thrown apart so that the effect of maximum stretching of the muscle fibers of the chest is ensured. On exhalation, the dumbbells synchronously come together. It is recommended to perform 12 repetitions in 3 sets. Instead of dumbbells, weights of 8, 12, 16, 53 -71 pounds can be used.
A basic exercise for developing chest muscles, which involves using your own body weight.
To perform it, you must adhere to the following technique:
- Fix palms and toes on the floor.
- Put your hands shoulder width apart.
- At the time of inspiration, the upper limbs are bent at the elbow joints, and the body sinks as deep as possible. The chest should almost touch the
surface of the floor.
- On exhalation, the arms at the elbows are unbent and their straightening occurs.
It is necessary to perform 20-25 repetitions in 3 sets. If there is sufficient physical strength, the number of push-ups can be increased.
Army bench press
This exercise is aimed at developing the upper section of the large muscle of the chest.
It is performed as follows:
- You must sit on a horizontal bench for a bench press.
- In the hands should take the bar, which is pre-equipped with the required number of pancakes.
- The sports equipment is projected above the head, and the hands are fixed on the surface of the neck as wide as possible.
- During inspiration, the bar drops below the level of the chin to the upper chest.
- On exhalation, the sports equipment rises again above the head and is held on straightened arms.
On average, it is necessary to perform 8-10 repetitions in 2-3 approaches. At the time of training, you should keep your back as even as possible and not slouch. Otherwise, you may get a back injury.
This exercise for the chest covers all segments of muscle fibers.
It is carried out in compliance with the following rules:
- It is necessary to grasp the bars with your hands, pull yourself up and bring the case up.
- At the moment when the arms are straightened, and the body is above the level of the bars, you need to inhale deeply, bend your elbows and go down as deep as possible.
- On exhalation, the elbows are unbent and a repeated exit of the body above the level of the bars is performed.
It is necessary to perform 10-12 repetitions in 3-4 approaches. As physical strength increases, additional weights are used to perform weight training exercises.
Weight lifting on the simulator
To perform this exercise, which develops muscle fibers of the pectoralis major and minor muscle, you must sit on a bench of a sports apparatus. Hold the handle of the holder, which is connected to the load with a cable, and then carry out the pull to the chest. On inspiration, the weight is pulled to the upper chest, and on exhalation, the load is released.
It is necessary to perform 10-12 repetitions in 3-4 approaches. Weight is set individually, but on average is from 66 -143 pounds.
To consolidate the result, it is necessary to adhere to simple rules that will allow you to maintain excellent physical shape and development of the muscles of the chest.
- refuse to use alcohol, tobacco products and drugs;
- provide the body with good nutrition with the presence in the diet of fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, meat, chicken eggs, dairy products;
- Do not stop the training process or visit the gym at least once a week;
- drink enough water to ensure full hydration of muscle mass;
- sleep at least 8-9 hours a day;
- avoid stressful situations and psycho-emotional overstrain.
In addition to observing the above rules, it is recommended that every day, waking up from sleep, do a warm-up and perform 20-30 push-ups from the floor. This will maintain the tone of the pectoral muscles throughout the day.
When to expect an effect
The first positive results from performing exercises on the muscles of the chest will be noticeable no earlier than after 1-1.5 months. enhanced workouts. The first contours and outlines of muscle fibers will appear. The upper chest will become more voluminous and begin to rise above the general level of the body. Active muscle growth will be observed after 5-6 months. regular workouts.
At the same time, it is important to take into account the fact that a positive effect and progress in the development of the pectoralis major as well as the pectoralis minor muscle is possible only in case of proper nutrition. The athlete should be provided with excess food energy, and not experience its systemic deficiency. Exercises on the chest, which are performed in the gym, include the use of barbells, dumbbells, weights, body weight.
Athletes who do not have enough basic sports equipment for pumping the pectoral muscles can use simulators, the device of which provides traction for weight to the upper chest. Regular training aimed at all sections of the muscles of the chest, provide quick progress and achieve a positive result in the shortest possible time.
All of these exercises can be included in the training program, both men and women.
Breast Exercise Video for Girls
Chest exercises in the gym for girls: