Exercise programs designed for weight loss use workouts on a stationary bike. Due to the possibility of selecting loads depending on the athlete’s physical preparation, this type of training has a minimum number of contraindications and maximum efficiency.
Provided that you have an integrated approach to transforming your own body and following the rules of training using an exercise bike, a person can lose weight after 3-4 weeks of regular training of this type.
- The effectiveness of an exercise bike for weight loss
- Training Rules
- Contraindications for exercise
- Preparation and warm-up
- Exercise bike training programs
- Beginner Program
- For women’s problem areas
- For men
- Interval program
- Intermediate program
- The program for weight loss
- Program for trained athletes
- How to create an individual training program
- How to eat to lose weight on an exercise bike
- Video about proper weight loss on an exercise bike
The effectiveness of an exercise bike for weight loss
Training on an exercise bike for weight loss is effective, primarily because in parallel with weight loss, they help strengthen the athlete’s cardiovascular system.
Among other areas of the positive impact of such classes are:
- the ability to use the simulator by all people, regardless of their physical fitness;
- acceleration of metabolic processes of the body;
- stabilization of blood pressure;
- a significant reduction in the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood of an athlete;
- lack of harmful load on joints and bones;
- minimizing the risk of developing radiculitis, osteochondrosis and other diseases caused by poor posture;
- increase in the general endurance of the body;
- in addition to reducing the bulk of body weight, training contributes to the local creation of relief of the legs, buttocks and abdomen of losing weight;
- toning the skin, getting rid of cellulite.
In order for training on an exercise bike to be as effective as possible, an athlete should not only exercise regularly, but also follow the principles of proper nutrition, devote proper amount of time to sleep, and also get rid of bad habits and adjust his lifestyle in general.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Drying the body for girls. Training program, a detailed nutrition menu for a month by day.
When riding an exercise bike, there is a risk of harming your own body.
In order to avoid injuries during classes, experienced fitness trainers recommend competently organizing the training process:
- Adjust the basic settings of the simulator – the height of the seat and steering wheel, as well as the level of resistance (degree of load).
- Carry out a warm-up – a complex for warming up muscles and joints, as well as their preparation for subsequent study.
- The cadence must be increased gradually, starting with the slowest possible.
- Riding a stationary bike should take at least 40 minutes (excluding warm-up).
- After the main part of the workout, a hitch should be performed (a gradual decrease in pace, lasting at least 3-5 minutes).
- After the completion of the complex of classes on an exercise bike, losing weight it is necessary to perform basic stretching exercises that contribute to the relaxation of the muscle corset and the normalization of heart rhythm.
If you want to lose weight with an exercise bike, an athlete is not recommended to pause and slow down in the framework of one approach (40 minutes or more). Changing the pace of the lesson not only reduces the effectiveness of the training, but can also harm the cardiovascular system.
Contraindications for exercise
In addition to their proper organization, training on a weight training bike for weight loss should be carried out only by healthy people who do not have direct contraindications to sports. Among the limitations, having which losing weight is not recommended to use an exercise bike in your training, therapists and doctors of specialization note.
- insufficiency of the cardiovascular system;
- Congenital heart defect;
- hypertension 2 and 3 degrees;
- angina pectoris;
- diseases of the respiratory system, for example, asthma;
- varicose veins of the 2nd and 3rd degree;
- pathology of the musculoskeletal system;
- spinal diseases;
- exacerbation of chronic forms of disease;
- colds, such as ARI or SARS;
- high blood sugar;
- benign and malignant tumors;
Even in the absence of a diagnosis, losing weight before starting classes should undergo a basic examination of your body for pathologies of various origins.
A standard set of procedures for this purpose includes a general urine test, a general blood test, pressure measurement, an external assessment of the skin and visits to “narrow” specialists (depending on the complaints of a particular person, the presence of chronic diseases or a potential diagnosis).
Preparation and warm-up
It is important to prepare the body for the subsequent increasing load. Experienced fitness trainers recommend that you include the simplest exercises in the warm-up to accelerate metabolic processes and warm the muscles and joints of the lower body.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Glutamic acid – what it is, why and how it is used in sports and bodybuilding.
Exercise bike training programs
Training on an exercise bike can be aimed not only at losing weight, but also at strengthening the muscle corset. It is recommended to choose a specific type of exercise based on the goals, characteristics of the athlete’s body and his gender.
The program for beginners does not imply a long ride on a stationary bike at a fast pace or with high resistance pedals. This option is suitable for people with minimal physical training or those who have a number of health problems that prevent full exercise.
|Exercise Bike Stage||Recommended Duration|
|Warm up (minimum resistance + speed no more than 6 mph)||3 min.|
|Speed 9 mph + 1-minute increase in resistance by 1 unit||4 minutes|
|Half maximum resistance + speed 17- 12 mph. This step must be performed with the hips raised from the seat.||5 minutes.|
|Speed 9 mph + resistance, less than the previous stage by 2 units (the position of the hips is traditional, sitting)||4 minutes|
|Resistance equal to half of the maximum + speed 17 – 12 mph||4 minutes|
|1-point decrease in resistance and speed by 1 point||4 minutes|
|Hitch (minimum resistance + speed no more than 8 mph)||2 minutes.|
If, observing the indicated time, during training according to the above program, the athlete feels discomfort in the legs or excessive fatigue, it is recommended to reduce the duration of each step to 3 minutes.
For women’s problem areas
To effectively burn fat in problematic parts of the body, it is necessary not only to observe the basic rules of the organization of classes, but also to constantly alternate the load within one approach.
Correct in this case is the use of a set of stretching exercises as the final stage of a workout on an exercise bike for weight loss. This will relieve subsequent muscle pain (“post-workout syndrome”), as well as increase their flexibility and increase joint mobility.
|Description of activities during exercise on a stationary bike||Duration of a specific stage in one approach|
|Warm up (minimum resistance + speed 10- 7 mph)||5 minutes.|
|Stage 2 (increase resistance by 3 points + speed 9 mph)||4 minutes|
|Stage 3 (it is necessary to change the speed in a ratio of 1: 2, where 1 part should be performed at a speed of 12 mph, and the other two – 10- 7 mph + it is also necessary to change the resistance at a rate of 1: 2, where 1 part is 30 sec)||10 – 15 minutes|
|Hitch (per minute decrease in speed and resistance by 1-2 points, depending on the initial level)||5 minutes.|
|Stage 4 (stretching exercises performed at the slowest pace)||7 minutes|
In order to avoid provoking hormonal failure, athletes should abandon intensive training during menstruation, due to the general weakness and vulnerability of the body.
Training on an exercise bike for weight loss will also be effective when they are performed by men. Compared with the training scheme for women, the male version of the training involves more time for each stage and the presence of high resistance at a fast pace of pedal rotation.
|Training phase (short description)||Time|
|Warm up (minimum resistance + speed no more than 11 mph)||7 minutes|
|1st part (increase resistance by 7 points + speed 12 mph + slope (if available) 3%)||8 minutes|
|Part 2 (alternate: maximum resistance + speed 16 mph and average resistance + speed 9 mph)||1 min each for each stage of the 2nd part|
|3rd part (per minute decrease in resistance + minimum speed)||10 minutes.|
|Hitch (stretching exercises or breathing exercises without weighting)||5 minutes.|
To make the exercise on the stationary bike complex, fitness trainers recommend that men use their upper body as well. For example, at the same time as the pedals are rotated, it is possible to perform arm extensions with dumbbells of working weight. The pulse should not exceed 120 beats per minute.
Interval training program for weight loss involves a periodic change in the resistance of rotation of the pedals.
This type of training promotes the fastest possible acceleration of metabolic processes, which brings closer the onset of direct fat burning.
The burning of body fat occurs at the “peak load” due to the fact that the body is experiencing severe stress.
|Warm up (minimum resistance + speed no more than 6 mph)||5 minutes.|
|Resistance increase by 5 points + speed 9 mph||5 minutes.|
|Maximum resistance + speed not less than 16 mph||2 minutes.|
|Minimum resistance + speed no more than 9 mph||2 minutes.|
|Maximum resistance + speed not less than 12 mph||30 sec|
|Minimum resistance + speed no more than 7 mph||30 sec|
|Maximum resistance + speed not less than 19 mph||30 sec|
|Minimum resistance + speed no more than 6 mph||1 min.|
|Repeat step 2 to 8||4 laps|
|Hitch (minimum resistance + speed 7 mph)||5 minutes.|
Considering the fact that interval programs are characterized by increased complexity, it is recommended to practice them only for those who have been engaged in an exercise bike for a long time (at least 1 month).
Training on an exercise bike for weight loss should be adjusted by a fitness trainer depending on the athlete’s current progress. Between complexes for beginners and a sophisticated version of the classes it is necessary to include an intermediate plan.
This is important in order to minimize the risk of stress in the body, which in the future can lead to the opposite effect, in particular the accumulation of fat instead of getting rid of it.
|Warm up (minimum resistance + speed 12- 9 mph)||5 minutes.|
|Increase the load by 3 points + speed 9 mph||7 minutes|
|Resistance – half of the total scale + speed 11 mph||10 minutes.|
|Resistance is similar to the previous stage of training + speed of 12 mph||10 minutes.|
|Reduce the load by 3 points + speed 11 mph||7 minutes|
|Hitch (resistance at the third point from the initial level + speed 8 mph)||5 minutes.|
The program for weight loss
There is no special program with which, practicing on an exercise bike, one could lose weight locally in the abdomen. The fat burning process, which is started at a high training intensity, reduces the amount of fat deposits throughout the body, including the abdominal part.
Based on this, any of the above training schemes is suitable for losing weight in the stomach, subject to the correct selection of the load and regularity of classes. When adapting the universal complex to your needs, the athlete should take into account a number of important features of the program aimed at reducing the volume of the abdomen.
- pulse range should vary from 120 to 140 beats per min .;
- To make the training as effective as possible, it should be combined with
running, stretching exercises and jumping rope;
- the duration of the training should be at least 40 minutes;
- control of breathing (inhalation through the nose, exhale through the mouth) ensures the supply of the necessary amount of oxygen to the fatty tissues, during the interaction with which the fat burning process is accelerated.
Program for trained athletes
Losing weight with the help of exercises on a stationary bike, trained athletes must ensure that their pulse during training does not exceed 130 beats per minute.
A good physical shape allows those who are losing weight to quickly pedal at the warm-up stage, without fear of overloading the body:
|Warm up (4 resistance level + speed not less than 9 mph)||5 minutes.|
|Increase resistance by 2 points + speed 11 mph||7 minutes|
|Increase resistance by 3 points + speed 14 mph||10 minutes.|
|Maximum resistance + speed 19 mph||15 minutes.|
|Maximum resistance + speed 16 mph||10 minutes.|
|Reduce resistance by 5 points + speed 12 mph||10 minutes.|
|Reduce the load to level 5 + speed 9 mph||7 minutes|
|Hitch (minimum load + speed 6 mph with gradual deceleration)||5 minutes.|
How to create an individual training program
In order for the training program on a stationary bike to give a result as quickly as possible, it is necessary to compile it individually for each athlete. When selecting loads, it is important to take into account a person’s lifestyle, physical fitness, the expected regularity of training and the presence of health restrictions.
A properly composed complex implies:
- Holding athlete’s pulse in the range of 120-140 beats per min. (otherwise, muscle mass will increase or, conversely, be burned with fat. In both cases, the appearance of the body will be far from perfect and fit).
- Gradual increase in load (both within the framework of one approach, and the scheme of classes in general).
- High intensity only in the absence of contraindications for the athlete (in all other cases, moderate or low intensity is recommended, in which the athlete’s breathing does not go astray, and the heart rate remains stable).
How to eat to lose weight on an exercise bike
To lose weight on an exercise bike, it is recommended to monitor nutrition.
It is necessary to avoid:
- products containing wheat flour;
- semi-finished products;
- foods high in preservatives and dyes;
- fried, smoked;
- excessive salt intake.
Focus on your diet should :
- fruits and vegetables (ideally seasonal);
- “Healthy” cereals (for example, buckwheat, brown rice, chickpeas);
- protein-rich foods (chicken, white fish, dairy products).
It is important to understand that proper nutrition, contributing to the weight loss of those who are engaged in an exercise bike for this purpose, should not constitute a strict diet. Losing weight it is necessary to shape your diet so that it is balanced and as comfortable as possible from the point of view of their physical and psychological state.
Sports training for weight loss, involving the use of an exercise bike, allows a person to change after 4-5 weeks of regular exercise.
In order for them to carry an exclusively positive effect on the human body, it is necessary to control the pulse and focus on one’s own feelings during exertion.
Provided that you have a competent approach to the formation of the complex, such exercises will not only help the person who is losing weight to transform, but will also improve his state of health, strengthening the cardiovascular system and normalizing metabolic processes.
Video about proper weight loss on an exercise bike
How to exercise on an exercise bike to lose weight: