Cosmetology offers various methods of getting rid of cosmetic imperfections and preserving youthful skin. One of the new methods that appeared just a few years ago is facial rejuvenation. To understand what it is, to get acquainted with the pros and cons of the method, you need to understand the principle of its action on the skin.
Photographs of patients before and after the procedure demonstrate the effectiveness of this procedure, but it is important to understand how this is achieved.
- Photorejuvenation – the essence, the mechanism of action of the procedure
- Advantages and disadvantages of the technique
- How long does the effect last
- Laser photorejuvenation
- IPL technique
- Collagen photorejuvenation
- LED technique
- Age restrictions
- Professional equipment
- Home Appliances
- Session Preparation
- Stages of the procedure in the salon
- Instructions for using the home appliance
- Sensations during the procedure
- How many procedures do you need, frequency
- Skin care after the procedure
- Possible consequences after the procedure
- Combination with other cosmetic procedures
- Salon selection and prices
- Videos about face rejuvenation
Photorejuvenation – the essence, the mechanism of action of the procedure
Photorejuvenation is the effect on the skin with light pulses of various frequencies, which are generated by a special device. A pulsating broadband intense luminous flux devoid of the ultraviolet component is used.
The desired light wavelength and duration of irradiation are selected by a specialist depending on the task being solved and the individual characteristics of the patient.
Photorejuvenation allows you to:
- Even out skin color, whiten it. Following the laws of physics, light areas of the skin reflect light, and dark – pigment spots, freckles, spider veins and other color changes of the skin – on the contrary, attract it. A light pulse generated by a special apparatus is able to penetrate deep into the epidermis by 0’8 – 1’2 inch. Deep soft heating destroys melanin, thereby reducing pigmentation, and also reduces capillaries, removing vascular defects.
- Restore skin elasticity. Under the influence of light flashes, the synthesis of building proteins of the skin — collagen and elastin — is enhanced, skin cell regeneration is enhanced, biochemical reactions are accelerated, aging processes are slowed down, and the activity of the sebaceous glands is normalized. This leads to an increase in skin turgor, smoothing of wrinkles and scars, tightening of the face contour, the disappearance of oily sheen or dry skin, narrowing of pores, eliminating peeling.
- To have a therapeutic effect. Intensive light irradiation destroys bacteria, accelerates the healing of damage to the skin, fights acne and herpes relapses, eliminates rashes.
Advantages and disadvantages of the technique
It is advisable to familiarize yourself with the positive and negative consequences of the procedure before applying it.
- effective and lasting improvement in skin condition;
- the possibility of using for any skin areas subject to aging – hands, decollete, neck, etc .;
- the absence of traumatic skin lesions and, as a result, the absence of edema, redness, unwanted scars and scars;
- painlessness of the procedure or minor pain;
- a short session lasts about 30 minutes;
- possible combination with other anti-aging procedures (masks, peels, etc.);
- comfortable rehabilitation period – there is no need for leaving for sick leave, hospitalization, a break in work and home schedule. The restrictions imposed are easily enforceable;
- lack of restrictions on the use of cosmetics.
- contraindicated in a number of diseases (diabetes mellitus, oncology, etc.);
- the need to search for a qualified cosmetologist – the method has been developed recently, there are few experienced specialists. An unskilled procedure may result in a burn;
- the duration of the full course due to the need for a break between sessions – up to 6 months;
- time limits. Sessions are carried out during the inactive sun, from October to April;
- the need for protection against tanning;
- with sensitive skin, temporary irritation is possible;
- the skin renewal process takes time, so the rejuvenation effect will be noticeable no earlier than in a month and a half;
- high cost in comparison with other cosmetic anti-aging procedures.
How long does the effect last
Due to the stimulation of internal rejuvenation processes (activation of collagen and elastin synthesis, acceleration of biochemical processes, enhancement of dermal cell regeneration), the effect of photorejuvenation lasts from 6 months to 4 years. The duration of this period depends on the age of the patient, the characteristics of the skin, the thoroughness of compliance with the recommendations of a cosmetologist.
To maintain the effect, radiation sessions are recommended to be repeated periodically.
The source of light pulses is a neodymium laser. It allows the use of waves of various lengths, picking them up depending on the problem being solved.
The advantage is also the possibility of deep point ( 8/32 – 10/32 inch) exposure, which makes the laser an effective tool for coagulation and emptying of capillaries. Point less traumatic resurfacing of the skin leads to its intensive renewal.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – intense light pulses. IPL photorejuvenation is the effect on the skin with a stream of light of a certain length and high intensity using special equipment. IPL equipment allows you to simultaneously remove vascular and pigmented skin defects.
A distinctive feature of the ElOS technique (Electro-Optical Synergy – Electro-Optical Synergy) is the combination of two types of energy. To the effects of light pulses, the effect of current pulses is added, enhancing the update effect.
This technique uses radiation from collagen lamps in the red range. Red light has the property of penetrating into the skin to the layer of fatty tissue and is converted into the energy of photosynthesis, stimulating the production of collagen.
LED (light-emitting diode) – LED therapy. It has a minimal thermal effect. Infrared and ultraviolet rays are excluded. Using light of different colors, i.e. different lengths of light waves, the specialist acts on different layers of the skin, achieving the desired result.
Photorejuvenation of the face (what it is, pluses and minuses before and after the procedure) does not have the capabilities of plastic surgery or laser resurfacing. Therefore, before resorting to this cosmetic procedure, you should find out how much the skin condition will change, and whether it is worth using this method.
It will not remove strongly pronounced age-related changes (the faded oval of the face, sagging skin, deep wrinkles) and will not relieve large scars.
Indications for photorejuvenation are:
- reduced skin tone;
- small wrinkles;
- small scars, scars and other surface defects;
- uneven complexion;
- freckles, age spots;
- acne, rosacea;
- rosacea, spider veins;
- enlarged pores;
- excessively oily or dry skin.
Age restrictions are associated with the purpose of applying the method. To get rid of freckles and age spots, the procedure is allowed to be carried out even in childhood. But the use for rejuvenation is justified only after the appearance of the first signs of wilting, i.e. after an average of 30 years.
In this period, when the first wrinkles and other age-related changes already appear, but are still weakly expressed, photorejuvenation is most effective.
Experts say that it is advisable to use the method until about 55 years old, in the future the method is ineffective. But it is necessary to remember the individual characteristics of each patient, and be sure to consult an experienced specialist before resorting to photorejuvenation.
Apparatus for photorejuvenation are available from various manufacturers.
- “IPL quantum”, production of the USA. One of the best modern devices. Multifunctional. Combines high power with comfort and safety. It is possible to select an individual processing program using a computer;
- “Palomar”, production of the USA. A whole line of laser instruments. The design provides for a dual cooling and filtration system, which makes their use painless and safe;
- “Lumenis M22”, production of Israel. Combines IPL and laser capabilities with multiple modules. 9 filters allow you to take into account the individual characteristics of the patient. For ease of processing, light nozzles of 3 sizes have been developed. The possibility of deep cooling is provided for the comfort of the patient;
- “DEKA”, production Italy. A popular line of instruments with a good reputation. The combination of high power and safety. A wide range of actions. Comfortable to use thanks to the cooling system. The DEKA SynchroReplay model is distinguished by a combination of two laser technologies: classic and photo laser. The model provides the highest pulse frequency;
- Yakhroma-Med, production of the American Federation. Laser device (copper vapor laser). Uses green and yellow light. It is possible to install individual programs. It takes about 30 minutes to start. It has a high working time of 1500 hours. It has a point effect without heating the neighboring areas, therefore it is notable for painlessness and the absence of side effects.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Apparatus for photorejuvenation at home is available:
- “Ilegant”, made in China, the price is about $ 80. A compact disc-shaped device, weight 130 g. A laser pulsation system carries out the processing alternately with green and yellow light. Irradiation is carried out from a distance of about 0’8 – 1’2 inch. Lightens surface pigmentation, increases skin elasticity. The procedure is painless;
- Gezatone m775 galvanic current instrument, manufactured in Taiwan, costs about $ 50. It uses a combination of galvanic currents and vibration, which allows to achieve high efficiency due to deep penetration. There are 4 operating modes: cleaning, massage, nutrition, lifting. Special serums have been developed for the procedures. Two power levels are provided; low level is suitable for sensitive skin;
- “Silk’n Reju”, production Israel, the price is about $ 180. A portable device using LED LED technology. Automatic shutdown when heated to 105,8°F. Generates red light, penetration depth about 3/32 inch. Cleanses the skin, evens out the tone of the face, tightens pores, reduces the depth of wrinkles, slows down aging;
- “Skin Laser” from Iluminage, made in Israel, the price is about $ 1000. One of the first laser models, approved for use without specialist supervision. Safety is provided by automatic shutdown in 30 seconds if the device is not used. Convenience is provided by the ergonomic shape of the body and touch panel. The light wavelength is fixed, no change is provided. The wavelength is optimal to improve complexion and reduce wrinkles;
- “Helios 3”, production of the American Federation, price about 5000 $. There are two operating modes: professional and simple, for home use. Based on the ElOS technique. Perhaps photorejuvenation and photoepilation. The set includes 6 filters for various procedures. It destroys pigment and vascular defects, tightens the oval of the face, heals acne, smoothes scars, improves skin tone, destroys unwanted vegetation.
Photorejuvenation of the face requires proper preparation, so you must first understand what it is. Such a profound effect on the skin has its pros and cons.
In order to get the maximum benefit and minimize possible negative consequences, it is necessary to observe several rules before and after the procedure.
Before photorejuvenation is necessary:
- Get detailed professional advice from an experienced beautician. The patient has the right to familiarize himself with documents confirming the qualification of the consultant and the quality of the equipment;
- refuse sunbathing 3-4 weeks before the session;
- for the same period, exclude the use of tanning;
- refuse peeling 2 weeks before the session;
- Do not visit the sauna and pool 1-2 weeks before the session;
- a few days before the procedure, you should refuse to take antibiotics, aspirin, drugs with vitamin A, ibuprofen, diclofenac.
Compliance with the recommendations should be followed carefully and in good faith to avoid complications. For example, taking the above drugs can lead to bruising under the influence of a light pulse.
Stages of the procedure in the salon
- the patient lies on the couch, taking a comfor
- the treated area is thoroughly cleaned with tonic;
- special glasses are put on to protect the cornea of the eyes (there may be a bandage or mask);
- to protect from heat exposure and improve the permeability of light pulses, a special gel is uniformly applied to the treatment area;
- with the help of an emitter, the skin is treated with point light pulses, the characteristics of which are selected by a specialist depending on the problem being solved, the patient’s characteristics, etc. To start anti-aging processes, two passes are necessary: the first series of flashes processes the epidermis, the second – deep layers of the skin;
- processing is carried out slowly and accurately, the processing time is from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on the task of the procedure and the surface to be treated. Perhaps a slight burning or tingling sensation;
- after the end of the session, the points are removed. The remaining gel is carefully removed. A soothing gel or cream is applied to the treated area.
With increased sensitivity of the skin, local anesthesia is possible.
Instructions for using the home appliance
Facial photorejuvenation – what is it, the pros and cons, before and after, the rules for conducting at home: all these questions should be answered before the start of home procedures.
- Perform the procedure in the autumn-winter period.
- Carefully read the instructions for the device.
- Carry out a test exposure – one test flash at the site of the intended treatment to check the sensitivity of the skin. If after a day there is no burning sensation, severe redness and other unpleasant sensations, then home procedures are acceptable.
- All the rules of preparation must be observed: give up tanning in two weeks, do not take medicine, exclude the sauna, etc.
- Cleanse your face with an alcohol-free tonic.
- If necessary (if indicated in the instructions) apply a special gel.
- Protect eyes with special glasses.
- To carry out processing precisely. The nozzle moves along the massage lines. During the session, only a single exposure to one area is allowed. The exposure time is according to the instructions.
- Remove glasses, gently remove the remaining gel.
- Apply a regenerating cream to the skin.
- A day does not wet the treated area of the skin.
- It is necessary to follow all the rules of skin care after photorejuvenation (exclude tanning, sauna, alcohol, etc.).
Sensations during the procedure
When performing photorejuvenation, the patient may feel:
- tingling sensation;
- sensation of flashes of light (muffled due to safety glasses).
The intensity and pain of the sensations are individual. They depend on the level of the patient’s pain threshold. With increased sensitivity, skin anesthesia is possible.
How many procedures do you need, frequency
The required number of photorejuvenation sessions is determined by the cosmetologist and depends on the patient’s age, his individual characteristics, skin condition, type of correctable defects, etc. The effect of rejuvenation becomes noticeable on average one month after the procedure, when the running processes of regeneration of the dermis lead to a visual result.
To obtain a lasting effect, professionals recommend a full course – from 3 to 7 procedures with an interval of 7-14 days.
Only outlined wrinkles, weak “crow’s feet” are corrected in 3 sessions, deep wrinkles will require more procedures. The need for a break is explained by the intensity of the impact, after which the skin needs time to rest and recover.
To maintain positive changes, an annual repeat of the course is recommended to stimulate anti-aging processes.
Skin care after the procedure
Skin after phototherapy needs restorative care.
It is necessary:
- within 5-7 days, apply regenerating creams or ointments prescribed by a specialist (Bepanten, etc.) to the treated areas;
- to cleanse the face, use cosmetic milk and tonics without alcohol;
- drink at least 3 – 4 pint of water per day;
- to drink a vitamin-mineral complex;
- at least 14-15 days before going outside use cream with SPF at least 30 (in bright sunshine at least 50).
- sunbathing is prohibited for two weeks;
- for the same period, you should abandon the sauna and bath due to unwanted overheating, from visiting the pool due to the treatment of water with chlorine compounds;
- steam baths for the face and cosmetics containing alcohol are contraindicated;
- It is recommended to limit, and it is better to give up smoking and alcohol for at least a week.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Possible consequences after the procedure
According to the reviews of those who underwent photo rejuvenation, it has practically no negative consequences – subject to the recommendations for preparing for the session and subsequent care.
After the procedure, the following may appear:
- slight redness and irritation of the skin immediately after treatment. Disappear in 2-3 hours;
- sensation of itching and burning. Pass in a few hours;
- darkening of age spots, a crust may form later. This is an indicator of the destruction of the pigment. Within 5-7 days, the pigmentation resolves, the crusts fall off, revealing a healthy layer of the skin.
With sensitive skin, side effects are more pronounced and may cause discomfort. But, as a rule, they are eliminated without additional measures in 1-2 weeks. According to statistics, negative consequences are observed in 2%. An extremely rare complication is phytodermatosis – the appearance o
f a rash of different types.
Serious consequences can result from an unskilled session or the use of low-quality equipment.
- strong redness;
- burning sensation;
Photorejuvenation of the face involves a very careful selection of a specialist and clinic for the procedure. It is necessary to find out in detail from a specialist what it is, the available pros and cons, the intricacies of leaving before and after the procedure.
Combination with other cosmetic procedures
A positive feature of photorejuvenation is its compatibility with other procedures. A correctly selected complex is able to enhance and consolidate the anti-aging effect.
- cosmetic masks;
- Botox injections
The timing of the procedures must be agreed with the beautician. On average, it is 2-3 weeks after photorejuvenation, but, for example, biorevitalization can be done almost simultaneously.
Contraindications to photorejuvenation may be permanent or temporary.
Absolute (permanent) contraindications:
- blood diseases (low coagulability, etc.);
- endocrine system diseases;
- skin diseases – psoriasis, eczema, etc .;
- eye pathology – cataract, glaucoma, etc .;
- moles, birthmarks;
- natural dark skin tone;
- increased hairiness caused by hormonal failure;
- senile age.
Relative (temporary) contraindications:
- period of solar activity. The optimal procedure period is from October to April;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Tan. You must wait at least two weeks after sunbathing or applying a tan;
- exacerbation of herpes. It is necessary to treat rashes;
- taking antibiotics, aspirin, drugs with vitamin A, ibuprofen, diclofenac;
- skin damage (scratches, wounds, etc.).
Salon selection and prices
Given the possibility of injury during an unqualified session, the choice of a salon should be taken seriously. It is better to opt for a salon that has a good reputation and experience. Reviews on topic forums will help you make your choice. At the preliminary consultation of the dermatologist, it is necessary to clarify all the nuances of the upcoming procedure, all possible consequences.
The patient has the right to get acquainted with the equipment certificate, dermatologist license, clinic patents. High-quality equipment from reliable manufacturers and an experienced qualified specialist are a guarantee of success.
The cost of rejuvenation is quite high. The specific amount depends on the class of equipment, the area of the treated area, the type of processing and other factors. Too low a price (for New York it is below $ 6,8 per flash) indicates a low quality of equipment. Approximate prices in New York salons:
|Cultivated area||Price in American usd|
|Spider vein removal||500-600|
Prices in the are much lower. The cost of facial rejuvenation in aal city is $ 41 – $ 109, the price of one flash is $ 2 – $ 5.
Photorejuvenation of the face is quite an expensive procedure. What is it, the pros and cons of the technique, the equipment used – all these aspects should be studied in detail when choosing a salon and specialist. Photos before and after the procedure will assess its effectiveness. But the final decision on the rejuvenation should be taken only after consulting a professional.
Videos about face rejuvenation
Facial rejuvenation procedure, reviews, results before and after:
IPL Quantum – salon rejuvenation procedure: