Using your bike to move around is good for your health. It is proved that cycling trains all body systems, strengthens muscles and immunity. However, there are several negative and harmful effects on the body.
- How to choose the right bike
- For whom is a bicycle selected: gender, age, weight, height
- Where, on what terrain, and on what roads will they ride on it
- Estimated cost of a bike
- Cycling Clothing
- The benefits and harms of cycling
- For men
- For women
- Possible contraindications for cycling
- What muscle groups work during a bike ride
- Weight loss while riding
- Emotional condition
- The cardiovascular system
- Against varicose veins
- Rules and recommendations
- Equipment preparation
- Proper fit
- Sample training plan
- Bicycle Use Video
How to choose the right bike
Riding a bicycle (the benefits and harm depends on the correct choice of vehicle) requires preliminary preparation. Choosing the right bike will help answer the following questions.
For whom is a bicycle selected: gender, age, weight, height
It is recommended to choose a bike individually.
It is important to consider:
- Floor. For women, it can be special bicycles with a lowered frame and fun colors, as well as bicycles created taking into account the parameters of the female body – “female” bicycles. For most women, regular men’s bikes are suitable.
- Age. The bike can be an adult or a kid.
- Weight. If a person weighs more than 198 pounds, a bicycle with a front shock absorber (hardtail), double (reinforced) rims, a cassette sleeve and frames made of aluminum or steel (non-carbon) is recommended.
- Height. The dimensions of the bicycle frame are selected in accordance with the growth. Table of correspondence of the frame size to growth:
|Height, inch||Frame size||inch||Inches|
|from 140 to 155||XS||34||13|
|from 150 to 165||S||38||15|
|from 160 to 175||M||44||17|
|from 170 to 185||L||48||19|
|from 180 to 195||XL||54||21|
|from 190 and above||XXL||58||23|
Where, on what terrain, and on what roads will they ride on it
It is necessary to choose the type of bike corresponding to the intended type of travel:
- Mountain bike. It is universal. A widespread option when choosing to travel on any road. Has depreciation. Easily modified to meet the needs of the owner.
- Road bike. Specialized bike without cushioning. Lightweight and fast. Used for driving on good asphalt roads. An impractical and expensive option.
- Cross bike. The universal model, has a good roll on asphalt roads, can move in off-road conditions. The price is slightly higher than that of a mountain bike.
- Extreme bike. Specialized models for jumping, trial, stunts and BMX. Impractical.
- City folding. Bicycles characterized by practicality and convenience for riding in the city. Not used off-road.
For beginners, a mountain or cross bike with front shock absorption is better. Such a bike would be the best option for a first purchase. In the future it can be improved by adding or replacing some accessories.
Estimated cost of a bike
- Less than $ 300. A modern model of a bicycle for an adult cannot be picked up for such an amount. Such money is enough to buy a children’s, teenage or single-speed adult bike.
- From 300 to 500 $. You can choose a budget bike model that has an initial or middle group of equipment, a simple shock absorber fork and mechanical brakes.
- From 500 to 1000 $. An improved model of a bicycle with a light and high-quality frame, an average group of equipment, a normal suspension fork.
- From 1000 to 2000 $. L amateur and semi-professional bicycle model with a light and reliable frame, top equipment group, good cushioning, hydraulic brakes. For shoppers who know a lot about bicycles.
- More than $ 2000. Professional or exclusive model, assembled using new technologies, the best components, exclusive design. Suitable for athletes, fans, amateurs and wealthy people.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Drying the body for girls. Training program, a detailed nutrition menu for a month by day.
Riding a bicycle (the benefits and harm depends on the choice of clothes) can be comfortable and bring maximum pleasure if you use bicycle clothes.
Special clothing for cycling differs in some features:
- The ability to ventilate to cool the body during intense skiing.
- It removes sweat and helps keep the skin dry in order to avoid moisture discomfort.
- Reduces the negative effect and distributes the load, allowing less fatigue while riding. Reduces the likelihood of injury.
- Optimizes aerodynamic performance, reducing drag.
The cyclist’s equipment includes several elements:
- A bicycle T-shirt or T-shirt made of synthetic fabric that can warm or cool, create a feeling of comfort through ventilation and
sweating. It has reflective elements in summer models.
- Shorts or cycling pants. They can be in the form of cycling trunks or shorts with diapers, which soften blows, smooth friction and successfully remove sweat. Silicone inserts contribute to cushioning. Preference is for tight-fitting models with elastic bands or suspenders. In trousers, the presence of gum in the lower leg area is mandatory.
- Jacket. Membrane fabric that does not allow wind to pass, removes moisture, warms and creates a comfortable state. It must be selected according to size.
- The dragging leggings. More used by professionals.
- For winter skiing, it is mandatory to use a balaclava and special winter glasses.
- Underwear, like thermal underwear – cools the body and removes sweat.
- Bicycle gloves perform a protective function. Prevent rubbing, the formation of corns, frostbite, sweating.
- Protect your head from possible injuries – a bicycle helmet.
- Special lightweight shoes designed for intense loads. Cycling boot.
The benefits and harms of cycling
Riding a bicycle (the benefits and harms are listed below) allows you to quickly get to the right place and improve the general state of physical and mental health.
Cycling contributes to:
- strengthening and tightening of the leg and buttock muscles;
- improving blood circulation and strengthening the heart muscle;
- maintaining vascular tone, prevention of varicose veins;
- improving the respiratory system, enhancing metabolism;
- increased joint mobility and cartilage elasticity;
- improving mental and emotional state thanks to new impressions and positive emotions;
- elimination of stress and chronic fatigue;
- improved sleep and overall well-being as a result of a half-hour bicycle ride in the evening.
- Accelerate weight loss by burning excess calories.
The negative sides of excessive cycling enthusiasm:
- Cycling with exacerbation of a chronic disease can lead to poor health.
- Do not ride to a state of fatigue, which can lead to overload of the body.
- With improper fit, the muscles of the arms and legs may become numb.
- Risk of injury from possible falls and accidents.
- Inflammation of the genitourinary organs can occur with improper equipment in accordance with the weather or season.
The main problems create the frivolity and carelessness of the cyclist himself.
- regular trips will help to normalize body weight without grueling exercises on simulators;
- vascular support in good shape;
- prevention of diseases of the genitourinary system and problems with potency;
- improving sexual health;
- Intensive oxygenation with blood reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s.
- groin irritation may occur;
- numbness of the organs of the reproductive system;
- scrotal abnormality;
- possible onset of erectile dysfunction;
- risk of testicular damage;
- male infertility.
- allows you to train all the muscles in the body;
- promotes weight loss;
- later onset of menopause and its easier course.
- may reduce sexual sensations.
Possible contraindications for cycling
There are contraindications for cycling that cannot be ignored.
Some points to consider:
- impaired coordination and related diseases can be dangerous when cycling;
- in case of heart and vascular disease, if there are serious disturbances in the activity of the heart muscle, a specialist consultation is needed;
- dysfunction of the vessels of the brain, lesions and vascular pathology, leading to a violation of the blood supply to the brain;
- fragility and fragility of bone tissue, the tendency of joints to dislocations;
- injuries and diseases associated with the musculoskeletal system limit the permissible speed of movement on a bicycle.
What muscle groups work during a bike ride
Riding a bicycle (the benefits and harms must be taken into account by both sexes) replaces muscle training on many simulators.
Muscle groups subjected to exercise during cycling:
- calf muscles with hamstrings;
- quadriceps legs;
- hip flexors, ileal muscles of the inguinal;
- gluteal muscles;
- hips biceps;
- muscles of the back and abs;
- triceps of the hands;
- muscles of the shoulder girdle when moving on hilly terrain.
Weight loss while riding
Cycling can be more effective for weight loss than training on simulators.
- Riding a bicycle consumes a lot of energy and allows you to get rid of excess calories.
- After 40 minutes from the beginning of the ride, the breakdown of body fat begins and occurs after the end for some more time.
- Strengthening the hips and improving the relief of the calf muscles.
- After 2 weeks of training, the body becomes more toned.
- Muscles strengthen and become more elastic.
- Regular training will reduce body weight in a month by 7 -11 pounds.
Cycling trips have a beneficial effect on the psychological and emotional state. The mood improves, the occurrence of depressive states is prevented. During cycling, hormones of joy (endorphins) are produced. The body easier and faster to cope with stressful situations.
Riding a bicycle has a positive effect on the organs of vision. It is important for the cyclist to move his visual attention from close to distant objects while moving along any route and track, due to which there is an increase in the load on the eye muscles. Intensive training of the eye muscles leads to improved vision and prevention of eye diseases.
Riding a bicycle tempers the body, increases the stamina and resistance of the body to colds. There is a general increase in immunity.
The respiratory system is strengthened. Due to the load during riding, breathing becomes measured, deep and rhythmic. As a result, the lung volume increases, blood circulation mechanisms are optimized. The respiratory system is cleared of toxins.
The cardiovascular system
The cardiovascular system is strengthened and optimized. Her recovery is taking place. The bike acts as a cardio simulator. There is a stimulation of the cardiovascular system, activation of all its mechanisms. An intense load on the muscles leads to a decrease in the number of heart contractions, which leads to an overall improvement in this system of the body.
Against varicose veins
Cycling helps to improve the condition of blood vessels. Thanks to the active pedaling, the blood current accelerates many times. Vascular stagnation is eliminated. There is a leveling of inflammation. Improving blood circulation promotes unhindered and vigorous blood circulation. This allows the expanded veins to acquire normal sizes.
Rules and recommendations
Riding a bicycle is fun, comfortable and useful if you follow some rules and recommendations. The bicycle must be in good condition to avoid harm to the cyclist.
The correct equipment for the cyclist should include a backpack that fits snugly against the back.
When riding a bike with you must be:
- pump for cameras;
- repair kit with a set of tools, a spare chamber and glue;
- water bottle (can be mounted on the frame);
- food for a snack (fruits, nuts, bars).
A proper fit will help to make the ride comfortable and enjoy the walk. Landing can be pleasure, racing or tourist.
- Walking is achieved with the saddle lowered and the steering wheel raised. The perpendicular arrangement of the body relative to the ground. Lack of muscle strain. The head is in a comfortable position to view the surroundings. It is worth considering that with such a landing there is a load on the spine when driving on the road.
- Racing landing – a raised saddle and a lowered steering wheel. The bulk of the body is supported by hands. Suitable for long and fast road trips. The load on all muscle groups is balanced.
- The tourist landing contains the best of walking and racing landing. The seat is slightly below the steering wheel. The torso of the cyclist is 45 0 . Allows you to combine a uniform distribution of muscle load and the ability to view the surroundings during a trip.
An important point is to adjust and adjust the saddle. Do not set the saddle too low to avoid problems with the knee joints. Optimum height with straightened leg, standing heel on the pedal. The position of the saddle is preferably maximally parallel to the ground.
The position of the head when riding should eliminate excessive stress on the neck muscles. Turning your head to the sides will allow you to periodically relax these muscles
Correct fit implies an optimal position of the arms parallel to the body. When moving on bumps, the hands must be relaxed to improve cushioning.
Cycling must be safe.
Rules regarding the route of the cyclist:
- Knowledge of the rules of the road is needed to avoid accidents.
- The first trips are best done with experienced colleagues for safety on the way, timely advice and recommendations.
- Regular trips will help you learn how to predict the actions of drivers on the road.
- Before the trip, you need to study the proposed route with an emphasis on bus stops, intersections, congestion of cars and potentially dangerous sections.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Glutamic acid – what it is, why and how it is used in sports and bodybuilding.
Sample training plan
When drawing up a training plan, you need to consider some points:
- It is better to start classes from 20 minutes, gradually bringing the training time to 2 hours, which can be divided into morning and evening workouts for 1 hour.
- It is necessary to conduct training 2 to 3 times a week with breaks.
- The distance for beginners is 6 mile, for experienced cyclists up to 37 mile.
- Uniform riding should alternate with rises and accelerations.
- It is better to choose the morning or evening time, so as not to engage in the rays of the scorching sun. Avoid adverse weather.
- Using low revs and high pedal forces can cause injury to the joints.
Approximate scheme of a half-hour training:
- 10 minutes. calm ride;
- 2 minutes. climb uphill, increased load;
- 2 minutes. – on a flat road;
- 5 minutes. – movement with an increase in speed for 30 seconds, then calm movement;
- alternation of ascents to the mountain with movement on flat terrain;
- the last 5 minutes – an even calm movement.
Choosing a bicycle according to its parameters, and observing the rules of riding, you can get the maximum benefit from riding a bicycle and avoid possible harm to health.
Bicycle Use Video
What happens if you ride a bike every day: