To gain muscle mass, both boys and girls need a balance of 3 components:
- nutritious and healthy nutrition;
- power training:
- enough rest time to recover.
- Muscle Growth Principles
- The role of proper nutrition in muscle gain
- Basic nutritional rules for gaining muscle mass of a girl
- The difference between sports nutrition for girls and men
- How much protein is needed for muscle growth in a woman
- How many calories are needed for muscle growth
- Allowed foods in a sports diet
- Prohibited foods in a sports diet
- How much food does a woman need to eat to gain muscle mass
- The principles of proper nutrition: fractional food intake
- The principle of proper nutrition: no prohibited foods
- The principle of proper nutrition: adherence to carbohydrate intake
- The principle of proper nutrition: a sufficient amount of fluid
- The principle of proper nutrition: the right amount of protein products
- The principle of proper nutrition: sports vitamins and supplements
- The principle of proper nutrition: eating for weight gain after exercise
- Recommended daily diet: Example 1
- Recommended daily diet: Example 2
- Recommended daily diet: Example 3
- Example menu for the week
- Nutrition videos for gaining muscle mass for girls
Muscle Growth Principles
The quantity and quality of muscle tissue in humans is established from birth and is determined by genetics. Muscle growth occurs with thickening of its constituent fibers during recovery from stress from strength training.
The human body is a complex compensatory system, striving for balance: if the muscle receives a load more than usual, then in the process of rest the body will tend to adapt to new conditions. Namely, to increase muscles due to an increase in the number of muscle myofibrils (protein filaments), building materials for which are protein and other nutrients that come with food.
A set of muscle mass without a full, balanced diet and relaxation is impossible.
For girls, a properly built diet is more important than for men. A significant deviation of the fat content in the female body from the physiological norm can lead to amenorrhea and hormonal imbalance.
The role of proper nutrition in muscle gain
The optimal diet for weight gain is to follow a zonal diet (45% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 25% fat), coupled with frequent meals in small portions and a sufficient amount of fluid consumed.
Carbohydrates in the afternoon should be limited and the proportion of protein in the first meal after exercise should be increased. Natural, unrefined foods with minimal sugar and animal fats are preferred.
Compliance with these principles contributes to such processes in the body:
- normalization of the digestive tract and the water-salt balance, which means normal recovery during the rest period;
- hormonal balance and metabolic rate;
- lean muscle growth.
If during the period of gaining muscle mass, based on the subsequent “drying”, the girl does not monitor the quality of nutrition, then in order to achieve the same goals she will need more time and more intensive training than with the diet.
This is because:
- the use of carbohydrates at bedtime contributes to the formation of fat reserves, as the body does not have time to spend the energy received;
- work of the gastrointestinal tract at night does not allow the body to completely relax and recover;
- a lack of protein in the first few hours after training provokes a catabolism of muscle tissue – the body gallon replenishes costs due to muscle breakdown;
- lack of fluid leads to malfunctions of the excretory system, and sometimes to a violation of the hormonal background;
- animal fats with a high cholesterol content, refined foods, excess sugar create an additional burden on the liver, intestinal dysbiosis, metabolic problems and the synthesis of proteins necessary for muscle growth.
Basic nutritional rules for gaining muscle mass of a girl
Achieving results in building a beautiful body depends on 30-40% of physical activity and 60-70% of a balanced diet.
To build lean muscle mass you need:
- Increasing calorie intake : additional energy is needed.
- Regularity of meals: hunger leads to the transition of the body to the economy mode with a slowdown in metabolism and the deposition of each “excess” calories in the fat reserve.
- More protein in the diet: the basis of muscle fibers is the protein filament of myofibrils, without protein their synthesis is impossible.
- Compliance with the fat balance in the body: lack of fat leads to hormonal imbalance and metabolic failure. Preferred vegetable oils and products containing Omega-3 and Omega-6, they are easier to digest than complex animal fats.
- Slow carbohydrates plus protein for dinner and no junk food : recovery and digestion are poorly compatible processes.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
The difference between sports nutrition for girls and men
A variety of specialized drinks and products – fat burners, isotonics, proteins and protein-carbohydrate mixtures (gainers) are traditionally called sports nutrition.
These are not medicines, but an additional source of nutrients.
Subject to the norms of admission, taking into account the physiological characteristics and goals of the consumer, the use of sports supplements is completely harmless and not addictive. The FDA (US Department of Drug and Food Quality Control) approved the use of sports nutrition in early 2013.
The female body has more stamina than the male, but is more sensitive to pain with microtrauma of muscle fibers. The female body has less muscle and more fat, necessary not only to maintain breast elasticity, but also for hormonal levels.
Due to the greater production of estrogen, women sweat less and the loss of minerals and water with perspiration is lower than that of men, while the need of girls for certain substances, for example, calcium, is higher. On the other hand, the main growth hormone, testosterone, is practically not produced in the female body, and its artificial administration causes irreparable harm to women’s health.
Men on average have a greater weight of 33 -44 pounds with an increase of 3’9 – 5’9 inch. Higher than that of women. Most manufacturers of sports nutrition are guided in calculating the norms of consumption of their products for the male audience.
When choosing sports nutrition for gaining muscle mass for girls, the following features should be considered:
- more L-carnitine to reduce pain;
- higher need for omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids;
- additional intake of calcium;
- protein isolate is preferred;
- the portions indicated by the manufacturer should be reduced by 20%, if it is not prescribed that they are designed specifically for women.
How much protein is needed for muscle growth in a woman
Protein is necessary not only for muscle growth, it is an important source of energy and a compo
nent of metabolism in the body, and is also responsible for maintaining the functions of the immune system.
If the protein supplied with food is not enough, the process of catabolism of muscle tissue is launched, since it has the highest protein content. In combination with intense exercise, this leads to a decrease in muscle mass instead of gaining it. Therefore, proper nutrition is important for girls who want to increase their volume due to muscle gain.
On the day, the recommended protein intake for an adult with a sedentary, sedentary lifestyle is 0.8 g / pounds of body weight. Men who are actively involved in sports need from 2.5 to 4 g / pounds, girls from 2 to 3 g / pounds are enough.
Calculating the required amount of consumption is simple – just multiply the weight by the norm. For example, a girl’s diet weighing 110 pounds, for a set of muscle mass should contain 50 * 2 = 100 gr. squirrel. To get this amount you need to eat 300 g of chicken breast or omelet from 10 egg whites.
How many calories are needed for muscle growth
To grow mass, you need to increase the number of calories consumed by 10-15%.
You can determine the norm using a simple formula:
- (weight in pounds / 0453) * 15 – for men;
- (weight in pounds / 0453) * 14 – for women.
For example, for a girl weighing 110 pounds, the norm for supporting the current weight will be (50 / 0453) * 14 = 1545 calories. Adding 15%, we get 1800 – so much is needed for mass growth.
Allowed foods in a sports diet
To gain muscle mass, not fat, a girl’s nutrition should include:
- complex carbohydrates (cereals, legumes, vegetables and fruits) – provide energy for a long period of time;
- high-protein foods (low-fat varieties of meat and fish, egg white, low-fat dairy products) – are necessary to cover the increased need for proteins during muscle growth;
- fats with a high content of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids (fish oil, olive oil, nuts) – are easily absorbed and accelerate the metabolism;
- drink at least 1,01 fluid ounce per pounds of body weight per day of clean water without gas , on days of intense training – up to 1,18 fluid ounce to maintain a water-salt balance.
Prohibited foods in a sports diet
It is strictly unacceptable to eat foods such as:
- Sweets and pastries – a combination of simple sugars and fat leads to the formation of fat reserves, not muscles.
- Alcohol – contains “empty” calories, disrupts the normal functioning of the liver and central nervous system, which negates all efforts in the gym.
- Smoked meats, sausages and other “prepared” meat dishes – they contain more dyes, flavors and unhealthy fats than useful trace elements, and there is practically no protein in fact, no matter what the manufacturers write on the packaging.
- Low-fat dairy products – to improve the taste and texture, add starches and sugar substitutes, which harms the liver. Calcium without fats is poorly absorbed and the abuse of low-fat dairy products can cause kidney problems.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
How much food does a woman need to eat to gain muscle mass
The amount of food for weight gain is individual. It depends on its composition in accordance with the required number of calories. For muscle tissue growth, the ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates for men in% of the daily calorie volume is 35/10/55, and for women – 30/25/45. At the same time, breakfast and dinner – 15-20% of the daily intake, snacks – 10-15%, and lunch about 40%.
These values can and should be varied in accordance with the regime of the day and time of day at which the training is held: before training, you need to increase the intake of carbohydrates, and after it – protein.
One g of carbohydrates contains about 4 calories, as well as 1 g of protein, for fat this indicator is 9 cal. per 1 g, knowing the final size of the daily amount of food, you can calculate what nutrients you need to take with each meal, using the online calculator or on your own.
The principles of proper nutrition: fractional food intake
Food is recommended 4-5 times during the day: 3 main meals and 1-2 snacks without interruptions for more than 3 hours. Servings are evenly distributed throughout the day, taking into account the training, dinner no later than 2 hours before bedtime.
This mode normalizes metabolism, eliminates sudden changes in sugar in the blood and provides a constant feeling of satiety. Following a diet combined with intense exercise is always stressful for the body. In order not to amplify it with a feeling of hunger, it is necessary to observe the principle of fractional nutrition.
The principle of proper nutrition: no prohibited foods
You can not increase calorie intake due to alcohol, sugar, saturated hard-to-digest animal fats, processed (smoked, salted, canned) products.
Because the gastrointestinal tract, liver and excretory system of the body will work primarily on the disposal of harmful substances coming with these products, and on the synthesis of protein fibers needed to build muscle energy will be allocated according to the residual principle. Eating junk food will lead to the deposition of fat and trigger the appearance of cellul
ite, not muscle.
The principle of proper nutrition: adherence to carbohydrate intake
Intensive training is needed to gain muscle mass. Therefore, for the nutrition of girls who want to increase the volume of their muscles, a carbohydrate-free diet is unacceptable. Preference should be given to complex carbohydrates, most of them should be consumed in the morning and before training (in 1.5-2 hours).
Carbohydrates are the main source of energy; many of the body’s systems, including the central nervous system, are involved in their breakdown. The use of simple carbohydrates, even natural ones (sweet fruits and berries) later than 3 hours before bedtime, leads to overexcitation of the central nervous system, which affects the quality of rest, restoration of strength and muscle growth.
The principle of proper nutrition: a sufficient amount of fluid
Dehydration negatively affects muscle growth. Under heavy loads, then much moisture is lost. Therefore, when gaining muscle mass, you need to use a sufficient amount of fluid, namely from 1 – 1,2 fluid ounce per pounds of body weight.
By liquid in this context is meant pure, possibly mineralized, but not carbonated water (excluding tea, compote, cola).
The principle of proper nutrition: the right amount of protein products
Protein is the main nutrient necessary for muscle growth, so when girls gain mass, it makes up at least a third of the diet and at least 2 g per pounds of body weight. It should be included in every meal, but proteins are best absorbed within 30-40 minutes after the end of an intense workout, during the so-called “protein” window.
At this point, it is convenient to use protein bars or shakes. The rest of the time, protein products need to be combined with fiber (vegetables and herbs), it facilitates their digestion.
The principle of proper nutrition: sports vitamins and supplements
Dietary supplements, both sports and vitamin, really contribute to the processes of protein synthesis and recovery, help to increase endurance and improve training.
Today, the following types of sports nutrition are the safest and most useful for girls to gain muscle mass:
- chondroprotectors (glucosamine + chondroitin) – support for joints and cartilage;
- Omega-3 fatty acids – accelerate metabolism and as a source of healthy fats;
- vitamins ;
- creatine – an increase in strength indicators;
- protein – helps to restore waste protein;
- Weight gainers and BCAA pre-training complexes (essential amino acids) are a source of fast energy.
The principle of proper nutrition: eating for weight gain after exercise
In the process of intensive training, the body loses a lot of energy, and the muscles get microtrauma and stress. If the body lacks the nutrients necessary for recovery, this will provoke the breakdown of muscle tissue, and not its growth.
Basic rules: take the protein half an hour after the end of the workout, as in this period, proteins are especially well absorbed, and after an hour – complex carbohydrates, fiber, healthy fats and protein, that is, a full meal. The proportions of the BJU depend on the time of day.
If training in the morning – more carbohydrates in the evening – more protein.
Recommended daily diet: Example 1
- 3-4 boiled chicken eggs or scrambled eggs, 25 g rye bread, 200 gr. grapes, coffee or tea.
- 40 g of bread and 30 g of hard cheese, 11,83 fluid ounce of yogurt, 5-6 nuts.
- vegetable soup with meat broth 350ml, mashed potatoes 250 g, boiled lean meat 150-200g.
- 2 bananas and tea with small spoons of honey.
- 200 g of chicken fillet bake with 200 g of vegetables and 1 tablespoon. sour cream, green tea without sugar.
Recommended daily diet: Example 2
- 200 g of cottage cheese 5% fat, 25 g of bran bread with lettuce, coffee, orange or grapefruit.
- 11,83 fluid ounce of kefir with 1 large spoonful of fiber, flax, dried apricots 5-6 pcs.
- 13,53 fluid ounce of ear, boiled rice 250 g with soy sauce, boiled or steamed fish 200 g
- 2 apples baked with cinnamon and 2 small tablespoons of honey, cocoa or compote.
- 300 g of fresh vegetables salad with olive oil, 150 g of boiled chicken, dried fruit compote.
Recommended daily diet: Example 3
- 200 g. Oatmeal in milk with nuts, 10,14 fluid ounce yogurt, apple.
- 200 g of fruit, 25 g of bread with 15 g of cheese, tea.
- 13,53 fluid ounce mushroom soup, 250 g fresh vegetable salad with olive oil, baked beef 200 g.
- fruit salad with yogurt 200 g, black tea without sugar.
- 300 g of cottage cheese 5% fat, compote, orange or 150 g of berries.
Example menu for the week
Diet for weight gain for 7 days.
|Day of the week / meal||1st breakfast||afternoon tea||dinner||dinner|
|Monday||Fried eggs, vegetable salad, coffee.||Fritters with sour cream, fruit juice, nuts.||Pea soup, boiled pork, vegetable salad, bread, jelly.||Turkey stewed with asparagus beans and tomato, bran bread, cheese, tomato juice.|
|Tuesday||Millet porridge in milk with pumpkin, yogurt, nuts, tea.||Boiled egg, sandwich with butter, fruit juice.||Cabbage soup on meat, pasta with cheese, chicken chop, vegetable salad with sour cream, tea.||Omelet with tomatoes and ham, bran bread, milk.|
|Wednesday||Oatmeal with honey and dried apricots, apple, bread with butter and cheese, tea.||Kefir, a handful of raisins, bread with honey.||Chicken soup, boiled potatoes with herbs, steam cutlets, fresh vegetables – peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, tea or jelly.||Baked chicken fillet, bread, a glass of carrot and pumpkin juice.|
|Thursday||Cottage cheese casserole with raisins, bread with cheese, coffee or tea.||2 bananas, low-fat cookies, tea or yogurt.||Meat noodle soup, beef stew with beans, vegetable salad, tea.||Salad of cucumber, tomato, boiled chicken and cheese with sour cream, black bread, tomato juice.|
|Friday||Macaroni with cheese, vegetable salad, fruits, coffee.||Yogurt and dried fruits, nuts.||Solyanka, meatballs and pasta with cheese, cucumber, bread, tea.||Toasted chicken fillet, boiled cauliflower with cheese and sour cream, vegetable juice.|
|Saturday||Beef stew with vegetables, coffee.||Cottage cheese with berries and fruit juice.||Chowder, fried fish with rice, bread, salad or vegetables, tea.||Mashed potatoes with fishcake, bread with cheese and vegetable juice.|
|Sunday||Omelet, bread with ham and cucumber or tomato, nuts, tea or compote.||Kefir, a handful of nuts, cookies.||Cheese soup on mushroom broth with croutons, tomato salad with feta cheese and rast. butter, baked meat, compote or tea.||Chicken meatballs with buckwheat, Greek salad, tea with milk.|
Mass gain involves not only enhanced nutrition, but also a difficult training process. Such manipulations with the body during pregnancy and breastfeeding are absolutely contraindicated.
You can not adhere to a sports diet if there are serious digestive problems, in particular with severe forms of renal failure, since a high protein content in the diet can aggravate the disease.
A high-protein diet and stress can also hurt in painful conditions:
- exacerbation of chronic joint diseases;
- the presence of intervertebral hernias and protrusions;
- vegetovascular dystonia;
- the recovery period after influenza or acute respiratory infections – 2 weeks;
- chronic diseases of the heart, liver, kidneys;
Observing the rules of a healthy diet, increasing both the number of calories consumed and the intensity of training, a set of muscle mass is possible for any girl. And for skinny by nature or with a quick metabolism, muscle gain is the only healthy way to beautiful body volumes.
Nutrition videos for gaining muscle mass for girls
Sports nutrition for girls:
Proper nutrition for gaining muscle mass and burning fat: