Laser hair removal is the process of removing unwanted hair in various parts of the face and body. Every woman wants to be beautiful and an “interesting position” is no reason to give up on herself.
If it was previously believed that it is dangerous to carry out laser hair removal during pregnancy, since it can harm an unborn baby, now the opinion of doctors on this issue is ambiguous.
- Laser hair removal, the essence of the procedure
- General contraindications for laser hair removal
- Laser hair removal during pregnancy planning
- Does the place of depilation matter
- Laser hair removal while carrying a child, possible risks
- Is laser hair removal possible in early pregnancy
- Is laser hair removal possible in the second trimester
- Is laser hair removal possible in the third trimester
- When is laser hair removal prohibited during pregnancy
- Laser hair removal while breastfeeding, doctors’ opinions
- Alternative methods of hair removal during pregnancy
- Video about laser hair removal during pregnancy
Laser hair removal, the essence of the procedure
The essence of the procedure is the effect of radiation on the hormone melanin, which has the ability to absorb heat and light contained in the hair follicle. The laser beam acts on the root of the hair bulb, destroying and weakening it.
Thus, it is possible to remove only the hairline that has reached a length of 4/32 – 6/32 inch, dormant or invisible follicles remain unreached. After 1.5 months, the vegetation reappears and it is necessary to conduct a second session. The number of procedures depends on the density of unwanted hair.
When carrying out depilation, an alexandrite laser is most often used, which allows you to destroy hair at the time of exposure, but it can only be used for fair-skinned people with light-brown to dark-colored hair. For a tanned body and dark skin color, other types of lasers are used, less powerful.
This cosmetic procedure is relatively painless, if properly performed, the laser beam does not touch the skin and does not cause a burn. Hair on the treated area falls out within a week.
Using this type of depilation, you can remove unwanted hair on the face (mustache, eyebrows), arms, legs, armpits, chest, abdomen, back, in the intimate area.
Features of the process:
- Before the depilation, a mandatory consultation with a dermatologist is required;
- Two weeks before the procedure, if you want to be exposed to an alexandrite laser, you should refrain from sunbathing;
- 14 days before the session you can not do shugaring, waxing, pulling out hair follicles with tweezers;
- The day before hair removal, the area of intended exposure should be treated with a razor;
- Before the procedure, the doctor will lubricate the epilation site with a cooling gel, the task of which is to protect the skin from overheating, and to prevent the occurrence of pain;
- Within 3 days after cosmetic exposure, you can not visit the sauna, take a hot bath and sunbathe;
- You can remove excess hair with a disposable machine or depilation cream.
General contraindications for laser hair removal
- skin infections;
- herpes virus;
- oncological diseases;
- taking tetracycline antibiotics;
- exacerbation of chronic diseases.
Laser hair removal during pregnancy planning
Pregnancy is one of the conditional contraindications for laser hair removal. If a woman only plans to become a mother, and does not take hormonal drugs, then after consulting a gynecologist, it is possible to undergo a procedure.
Laser hair removal is safe, does not harm the body, does not interfere with the conception and bearing of the baby.
Does the place of depilation matter
Laser hair removal during pregnancy is not allowed on all parts of the body.
This is explained by concern for the baby’s health, lowering the woman’s pain threshold, hormonal changes in the body and skin condition .
- It is allowed to carry out a cosmetic procedure on the arms and legs. The skin in these areas is denser, not prone to deformation, the pain is less severe. Contraindications to this method of hair removal are:
- skin inflammations;
- fungal infections;
- varicose veins.
- The armpit zone is also safe, especially if hair removal in this area is not the first time;
- Removing unwanted facial hair is recommended by more gentle methods, but in case of their inefficiency, dermatologists advise to reduce laser hair removal sessions to a minimum. It is best to carry out 1 procedure at the stage of pregnancy planning, and the next in the second trimester of pregnancy, when the fetus is fully formed. In between sessions, use a cream to slow hair growth.
- During pregnancy, the hormonal background changes, the appearance of unwanted hair on the breast and stomach of the future mother is possible. Laser epilation of these areas is strictly prohibited. If the hair appeared only while the baby was waiting, you should not remove it – after giving birth, the hormonal background will change and the vegetation will disappear. Otherwise, hair removal should be done after childbirth. The skin in these areas is very sensitive, pain can occur, in addition, hair removal increases dryness of the skin, which becomes an excellent springboard for the formation of stretch marks. Removing abdominal hair is not permitted due to fear of harming the baby.
- Intimate area. The opinions of experts differ when it comes to hair removal in the bikini zone. Conservative doctors, prohibits any manipulation of the genitals of a woman while waiting for the baby. Proponents of liberal views believe that hygiene is necessary, and if there are no direct contraindications, such as dilation of the vagina or genital infections, then laser hair removal is possible with extreme caution. This procedure is best carried out in the second trimester of pregnancy.
Laser hair removal while carrying a child, possible risks
Laser hair removal during pregnancy can cause such unpleasant consequences as:
- Strong pain. The procedure is practically painless, but during the expectation of the baby, the pain threshold decreases, and even the slightest discomfort is perceived as severe pain. A woman’s uterus can respond to pain by increasing muscle tone.
- Dark spots. In connection with a change in the hormonal background, the production of melanin in the body increases. Under the influence of the laser beam, the treated area of the skin is able to change color, or burn.
- Increased dry skin. The skin of expectant mothers is very dry, and laser hair removal additionally removes moisture, which causes stretch marks.
- Skin burn. The procedure should be performed only by an experienced cosmetologist. In case of non-compliance with safety rules, a burn of skin tissue is possible, and the subsequent appearance of scars.
- Epilation in the bikini area can provoke a blockage of the sebaceous glands by gluing them.
Is laser hair removal possible in early pregnancy
The first trimester of pregnancy is the period from 1 to 13 obstetric weeks. Towards the end of this time, a small man appears from two cells, reaching a length of 3’5 inch, and weighing 20 grams. All vital organs and systems are laid in the fetus, on the 5th week the heart begins to beat, from the 8th week the baby tries to make the first movements with arms and legs. The placenta begins to form.
Laser hair removal during the first trimester of pregnancy is not permitted by gynecologists. This is due to the fact that pain can contribute to uterine hypertonicity, which can cause spontaneous abortion.
Is laser hair removal possible in the second trimester
The second trimester of pregnancy from 13 to 28 weeks.
The following changes occur in the fetal body:
- the nervous and digestive systems develop, the kidneys are actively working, urination is stabilized;
- the skeleton, muscles, skin, genitals are formed;
- the child begins to recognize light and shadow, sounds, recognizes mother’s voice;
- the baby is actively growing, reaches up to 9’1 inch in length and weight of 900 g., moves a lot.
The second trimester is the “golden time” of pregnancy. Unpleasant sensations and dangers of the first 3 months are behind, a woman can fully enjoy communication with her future son or daughter, put her body in order.
The procedure during the second trimester of pregnancy is not prohibited. Allowed to remove hair on arms, legs, armpits and on the face. It is recommended to use a cream to stop hair growth in order to be less likely to undergo the process.
Epilation of the bikini area should be carried out with extreme caution, in order to avoid complications and injuries to the genitals.
Epilation of the abdomen and chest is prohibited, due to the undesirable laser effect on the fetus, the risk of burns, especially in the area of increased pigmentation.
Is laser hair removal possible in the third trimester
The third trimester of pregnancy begins at 29 weeks. During this period, the baby becomes larger, by the end of the 40th week his height reaches 17’7 – 21’7 inch, and weight from 5512 -9922 pounds. The child moves less, the formation of all organs and systems, the development of the brain are completed, reflexes are fixed.
Laser hair removal during the third trimester is not recommended. This is explained by the fact that there is a high risk of premature birth, which can provoke severe pain. Epilation of the bikini zone is prohibited due to the risk of varicose labia. You can not depilate the chest and abdomen.
Laser removal of vegetation on the arms, legs, armpits and on the face is possible, but alternative methods are preferred.
When is laser hair removal prohibited during pregnancy
Laser hair removal during pregnancy is prohibited, regardless of the woman’s desire in the following cases:
- the appearance of allergies, skin rashes;
- increased uterine tone, the risk of premature birth;
- trauma and redness of the skin;
- herpes virus infection;
- diabetes mellitus, toxicosis;
- mental disorders in a pregnant woman;
- dark skin of a woman combined with blond hair.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Laser hair removal while breastfeeding, doctors’ opinions
Laser hair removal during breastfeeding is allowed in the absence of contraindications. According to gynecologists, this procedure does not affect lactation, and does not harm a nursing mother and baby. Before the procedure, consultation of doctors: an endocrinologist, a gynecologist and a cosmetologist is mandatory.
The procedure is not allowed:
- after the use of means for chemical depilation at home;
- when taking retinoid drugs;
- with inflammatory skin diseases;
- in case of exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- with diabetes;
- in the presence of varicose veins;
- with herpes virus infection;
- with coronary heart and vascular disease;
- with the formation of keloid scars.
It is not allowed to do epilation in the breast area of a nursing mother, and it is also necessary to observe special measures for skin care after the procedure:
- protect your skin from sunlight;
- smear with moisturizers.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Alternative methods of hair removal during pregnancy
If the gynecologist forbade the use of the procedure with a laser, you can use alternative methods of removing excess vegetation:
- Shaving with a machine and depilation cream are recognized as the safest methods of depilation while waiting for the baby. When using them, pain does not occur, there is no harm to the unborn child. The disadvantages are the rapid growth of unwanted hair, the appearance of irritation at the site of the procedure. It is recommended to use special creams and lotions that soften the skin.
Wax depilation – consists in removing the hair with warm or cold wax. Safe and quick procedure, new hair grows after 3-4 weeks, but is
accompanied by severe pain, therefore it is undesirable with uterine hypertonicity and the threat of miscarriage.
- Shugaring – hair removal with caramelized sugar paste. Very popular method. Safe for mom and baby, but is accompanied by pain. It must be carried out only in the cabin. Unlike wax depilation, it is allowed in the third trimester of pregnancy in the deep bikini zone. Contraindication is considered an increased uterine tone.
- An epilator is a quick way, but, like the two previous ones, it is carried out only under the condition of a normal pregnancy.
- Electrolysis – a method of getting rid of excess hair, in which the follicle is exposed to a weak electric discharge. It is not allowed to pregnant women, since the effect of an electric current on the fetus is extremely undesirable.
- Photoepilation – this manipulation is a procedure in which a flash is exposed to the hair root, leading to its self-destruction. The cosmetic process has not been fully studied, it is not recommended for pregnant women.
Every woman wants to be beautiful. The opinions of doctors regarding the use of laser hair removal during pregnancy are extremely mixed.
Some categorically forbid it, others allow it under certain conditions, sparing methods and the absence of contraindications.
Whether every expectant mother decides whether to apply this method of getting rid of unwanted hair independently, is a field of consultation with specialists. The main rule is, first of all, to take care of your safety and the health of the unborn baby.
Video about laser hair removal during pregnancy
Is it possible to do hair removal during pregnancy:
Damage to laser hair removal: