To control your own weight and be in good shape, you do not have to buy an expensive gym membership. Homework classes are also suitable. For example, exercises with dumbbells are aimed at the development of all muscle groups.
Who should use dumbbell exercises
Everyone can train, regardless:
- from the floor;
- social status;
- level of training.
Attention! Before starting classes, you must undergo a medical examination.
How to choose dumbbell weights
When choosing the optimal weight of dumbbells, experts advise to adhere to certain rules.
Recommendations of professionals:
- The initial weight of male dumbbells is 9 pounds, female – from 4 pounds.
- Weight can be estimated using the usual rise in the biceps. If with the right technique it is possible to do from 14 to 20 repetitions, then the weight is selected correctly. Otherwise, it is necessary to reduce the weight by 4 pounds.
- If there are contraindications, then the minimum weight is used.
- Age should be considered. When an athlete is over 50, an unsatisfactory condition of the joints occurs.
- You must learn to listen to your body, understand the principles of increasing the load.
Standing dumbbell lift . In this exercise, the focus is on the formation of the biceps head.
Order of execution:
- Arrange the legs shoulder-width apart, arms along the body, elbows firmly pressed to the body.
- The palms are turned to the belt, while lifting the dumbbells slowly turn the hands up.
- At the point of maximum contraction, they are delayed for a second, exhale, lower their hands at minimum speed, inhale.
- The body body must be kept even, not inertia allowed, the rise is carried out strictly by the biceps muscles.
- Particular attention is paid to the position of the elbows, it is unacceptable to bring them forward, while the load is shifted to the shoulders.
- The weight chosen should provide the correct technique.
- It is worth using two variations, alternating or simultaneous lifting of dumbbells.
“Hammer”. Exercise for a quality study of the inside of the biceps, forearm.
A similar option should be performed at the end of the workout:
- There are also two variants of execution for this type: both simultaneous ascent and alternate.
- Starting position: hands firmly pressed to the body, palms inward.
- This is followed by a smooth bend of the arms at the elbows, exhalation.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells, take a breath.
- They maintain tension throughout the entire range of motion.
Lifting biceps while sitting . The entire load of this exercise lies with the peak of the biceps. The rise to the biceps is performed sitting on an inclined or straight bench.
Beginners should use an inclined bench:
- First you should sit down, fix the body strictly in an upright position.
- Hands and abs are strained.
- Raise the dumbbells to a level just above the parallel, turn the hands inward. This is called supination, and gives a lot of stress.
- They stop at the top point, slowly lower the dumbbells.
- If asymmetric muscles are observed, it is best to perform an alternate lift.
Concentrated flexion of the arm . This exercise helps focus your attention to work out one muscle efficiently.
Recommendations for implementation:
- Sitting on a bench spread their legs, press their heels to the floor.
- They take a dumbbell and rest their elbow on the knee joint.
- Raise the dumbbell while turning the arm to the shoulder.
- Controlled down.
- Perform the same actions for the other hand.
Climbing the biceps on Scott’s bench . All movements are performed by the pure biceps biceps muscle.
This is a complex insulating exercise that requires safety net:
- It is necessary to adjust the back to the desired height.
- Take dumbbells, sit down and lean your armpit on the bench.
- Hands parallel to the floor, inhale, slowly lower the dumbbells.
- They return to their original position, delayed for 2 seconds.
Bench press from behind the head with one hand sitting. This is the most effective exercise for working out the triceps, namely the upper and middle parts.
- Take a safe sitting position.
- Take a dumbbell, lift it above your head at arm’s length, fixing the position with the other hand.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell behind the head, controlling breathing and technique.
- Return to the starting position.
Bench press dumbbells . You can use several stools for the exercise.
- They lift dumbbells from the floor, sit on an impromptu bench.
- Take a stable position of the torso and head, lying on a bench, while legs are apart for even greater stability.
- Raise your arms and pull the dumbbells together in a straight line.
- Slowly inhaling, lower the dumbbells to the bottom of the chest, do not spread their arms to the sides.
- Go back and do 8-10 reps.
Dumbbells (exercises at home are traumatic, so the use of
unstable shells is forbidden) to perform this exercise you need a minimum weight.
French bench press . Adherents of sports argue that this type of exercise is not suitable for everyone, so when the slightest discomfort appears, you should not perform it.
- You need to take dumbbells and put them on your knees, take a horizontal position.
- Hands are straightened in front of you, shoulders are perpendicular to the floor.
- Bend your shoulders to the head and slowly lower the dumbbells.
- They strive to keep their hands in an inclined position for better stretching the triceps.
- At the initial stage, you should use the help of a partner.
Extending your arms while standing back . The exercise is performed both sitting and standing, in the first case several muscle groups will be involved, which is undesirable.
Extending your arm while standing is suitable:
- Bend the body forward, lean your hand and knee on the support.
- Take a dumbbell and bend your arm at the elbow at 90 degrees – this will be the starting position.
- Perform extension of the arm.
- The shoulder and elbow are fixed during the entire movement process.
Bench press with two hands . Perform the exercise better in a sitting position – this helps to reduce the load on the lumbar.
- Sit down, take a dumbbell based on the thumbs.
- Raise their hands, the movement is smooth, directed down.
- Keep your back straight.
- Stops at the bottom and returns.
- Do not use the help of other parts of the body.
On the deltoid muscles
Three bundles of deltoid muscles are distinguished: anterior, middle, and posterior. The main exercises on the deltoid muscles are the following:
Arnold’s bench press . This is a universal exercise where all 3 bundles of shoulder muscles are involved.
It gives muscle relief and beauty:
- The weight of the dumbbell is small, at home in this exercise a chair with a back or bench is used.
- Sitting, they lift the dumbbells in front of them, their arms are bent, they rest against the support.
- Inhale, gradually exhaling, raise their hands and spread them apart, spread their palms away from themselves.
- In the final position, the elbows do not extend.
- They lower their arms, turning them toward themselves and breathing in slowly.
Hands apart . All load is directed to the middle beam of deltas. It must be remembered that a workout is needed before training, shoulders are no exception.
- You need to sit near the mirror to track the correctness of the exercise.
- Take dumbbells with minimum weight.
- They straighten their shoulders, bend their elbows, and focus on this position.
- When climbing to parallel, the elbows look sideways and up.
- Seamlessly come back.
It is important to know that jerks cannot be used.
Craving for the chin . This type of exercise is considered the most productive.
When performing it, the front and middle sections work:
- Legs are slightly apart, elbows are slightly bent, palms are turned to the body.
- With a directed movement, the dumbbells are raised to the level of the chin.
- Focus on muscle tension in this position.
- In slow motion, take the starting position.
Lifting dumbbells up . This basic exercise serves as the basis for the development of shoulder joints.
There are several types of implementation – sitting and standing:
- Being in a sitting position, take dumbbells.
- They are placed at shoulder level, inhaled.
- Mildly raise their hands above their heads.
- Slowly lower.
Anatomically, the trapezoid is divided into 3 parts: upper, middle, lower. Each is responsible for various movements in the human body (neck rotation, traction loads, weight lifting above the head). Pumping a powerful trapezoid is easy, exercises will help in this:
Shrugs . Thanks to the strengthening of the upper part, posture, the visual appearance of the shoulders, and the back muscles are improved.
- In a standing position, weights are taken in the hands, palms are located along the body.
- The entire shoulder girdle is tense.
- As you exhale, raise your shoulders up as high as possible.
- To avoid damage to the joints lower their hands down, inhale.
- To work out the lower position use stands of the appropriate height.
Shrugs on an incline bench . Highly effective exercise for the prevention of diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
Forces to bring shoulders, shoulder blades at maximum amplitude, which has a beneficial effect on muscle inflation:
- To perform the movement, sitting or standing, you will need an inclined bench.
- Take the load, leaning on the simulator, rest their feet on the floor.
- Focus on lifting weight
s to neck level, watching breathing.
- Take the starting position.
On the chest muscles
An acceptable way to pump up the chest is to press the dumbbells lying at different angles (30, 45, 60). If you do a bench press on a horizontal bench, the middle part works, tilted – up, upside down – bottom.
Bench press dumbbells . Performing a bench press dumbbell at home, allows you to achieve good success in the growth of strength and muscle mass of the chest.
The exercise is characterized by low amplitude and high safety:
- The pelvis and torso should be placed on the bench.
- You need to make sure the position is stable.
- Take free weights, transfer to the chest area on outstretched arms.
- Extend your arms until the dumbbell arms are parallel.
- Lower, without rushing, the elbows move strictly down and to the side, as low as possible.
- During movement inhale.
- Make all movements from the very beginning.
On the upper chest . The tilt bench should be done immediately after the previous exercise.
It differs only in movements and body position:
- Set the required corner of the bench.
- Take dumbbells and spread legs for a stable position.
- They move up and back strictly along the vertical axis.
- The breath is steady.
Dumbbell bench press with a tilt down . This type of exercise is not used for classes at home if there are health problems. The weight of the dumbbells, the position of the body, all this leads to dizziness, poor health.
For the safety of training, assistance is required:
- They are located upside down on a stable support.
- With the help of an assistant take dumbbells.
- Without acceleration, they lower their arms until they are fully stretched.
- Come back.
For the press
The largest muscle group in the human body is considered to be the abdominal muscles.
To correct them, perform the following exercises.
Bends to the side with a dumbbell . This category of exercises allows you to make the waist slim, and oblique muscles of the abdomen tightened. The legs are set shoulder-width apart, light dumbbells are in the hands, tilts to the right and left.
Raising legs in a sitting position . This is the best way to strengthen the bottom of the press. Another exercise option is lifting the legs with a dumbbell, which requires more advanced training for the athlete.
- In the lower position, a dumbbell is attached to the legs.
- They put their hands back and rest on the floor.
- Inhale and raise their legs.
- When exhaling, lower.
Lifting the torso from a prone position . This load will be very beneficial for the upper abdominal muscles.
- Lie on your back, legs bend.
- Bred knees shoulder width apart.
- Have bent arms with dumbbells in the area of the ears.
- On exhalation, they raise their heads and shoulders, delay for 5 seconds.
- Inhale and repeat.
For the back
The stronger the back muscles, the better the condition of the whole organism as a whole.
Dumbbell traction in an inclined position . In this exercise, you can use one or two dumbbells at once. The whole body is in a standing position or resting on a bench.
This allows you to perform several variations of the exercise:
- Bend your knees, keeping your back straight, lean forward to parallel.
- The smaller the slope, the more the upper back is loaded. The greater the slope, the more the latissimus muscles and lower back are trained.
- They have dumbbells strictly perpendicular to the floor.
- Pull your elbows straight up to your stomach.
- Lower your arms as low as possible for maximum effect.
Dumbbell traction lying on an incline bench . A very effective option for beginners.
- Set the angle of the backrest of the support 30 degrees.
- They are laid on the stomach, hands hang down, but do not touch the floor.
- Head above support.
- Dumbbell lift to the waist.
- Delayed and returned.
Deadlift . This exercise helps to tighten and repair injured areas of the back.
There are two types: draft on bent and straight legs:
- Position – standing, legs already shoulder-width apart, straight at the knees.
- The lower back is bent, the shoulders are straightened, the shoulder blades are reduced.
- Dumbbells in front of you.
- Lower the body forward, the knees do not bend.
- Straighten and perform again.
For leg muscles
In order for the leg muscles to look symmetrical, they should be pumped from different angles, namely: quadriceps, hip biceps, buttocks, lower legs.
Squats with dumbbells . The essence of the squats is a different execution technique: the narrow setting of the legs allows you to load more quadriceps, in a wide setting all the emphasis is on the buttocks.
- Take dumbbells, feet shoulder width apart, back straight.
- Slowly descending to the level of the lower leg, inhale.
- They exhale and rise by effort.
Lunges . The versatility of the exercise allows you to immediately focus on the hips and buttocks. It is recommended to perform at the very end of the leg workout.
If you vary the step width, then the load is shifted to one or another area:
- The back is straight, take dumbbells in hands, legs together.
- On inspiration, take a step forward, bend the leg at the knee, transfer body weight.
- When performed correctly, the knee does not extend beyond the projection of the sock.
- Exhale, repel the heel off the floor, come back.
Standing with dumbbells on toes . The effectiveness of this calf exercise depends on the following factors: the amplitude of movement, the higher the platform on which the socks are located, the greater the stretching, there
by the higher the load.
Dumbbell weight is selected with the ability to perform 10-15 technical repetitions:
- Take a burden.
- They stand on the edge of the platform with one or two legs.
- Inhale, lower to full muscle stretch.
- Exhale, rise on toes and linger for 1 sec.
Workout for women
Among women, the wrong stereotype has developed that if you engage in exercises with iron, this will lead to the masculinity of the figure. But this is far from the case. Many nutritionists insist that a diet, whatever it is, is dead without active exercise.
In training, each representative of the weaker sex will receive health and beauty of the body.
To train correctly, you need to use the following recommendations:
- When losing weight, the weight of the dumbbells should be only 4 pounds, for muscle growth 11 pounds is enough, for the study of large muscles you need to purchase collapsible dumbbells with a large weight.
- To reduce your own weight, you need to perform exercises in the range of repetitions from 20 to 25 in one set, to achieve the opposite effect – 10 repetitions in 1 set.
- You should train 3-4 times a week.
- The total training time is 45 minutes, for beginners – 15-20 minutes with a gradual increase in the interval.
- You need to make a complete diet: less fat, fast carbohydrates, more protein and complex carbohydrates.
- You should learn the correct technique for doing the exercises.
- Be sure to do a warm-up and hitch.
- Deadlift. Exercise, developing strength and functionality, well loads the back and buttocks.
- Dumbbell pull in the slope. It develops the broadest back muscles – “wings”.
- Bench press dumbbells. The most popular exercise to improve breast shape.
- Bench press on an inclined bench. For the attractiveness of the upper chest.
- Tilts to the sides. Promotes a narrow waist of 23’6 inch.
- Bending the arms. Workout biceps.
- Putting your hands back. Triceps development.
- Swing to the sides. Basic exercise for the shoulders.
- Squats with dumbbells. Slenderness and strength of the legs.
- Lunges. Extra pounds off.
Exercises with dumbbells are effective when doing them at home. It all depends on the mood and desire. It is necessary to adhere to professional recommendations and perform exercises according to the instructions, then positive changes are inevitable.
Video about exercises with dumbbells for girls and men:
How to remove sagging hands, make them slender:
The best exercises for doing at home: