Collagen is a popular component of modern cosmetic products for facial skin. It is added to cream, beauty injections and is available as a dietary supplement. Consumers of funds promised a miraculous anti-aging effect. Information about the properties of collagen will help separate truth from marketing gimmicks.
- What is collagen
- The role of collagen in the body
- The value of collagen for appearance
- What is dangerous collagen deficiency
- Factors Affecting Collagen Fiber Renewal
- How to make up for a lack of collagen
- The use of collagen in cosmetology
- Collagen cream: principle of action and effectiveness
- Collagen masks: features, types and rules of use
- Collagen Boosters
- Cons of cosmetics with collagen
- Collagen Injection: Characterization and Effect of the Procedure
- Hardware techniques for collagen synthesis
- Collagen nutritional supplements and their effects on the body
- What products with collagen are more effective for facial skin
- Proper nutrition as an prevention of aging: products that activate collagen synthesis
- Collagen Video
What is collagen
Collagen is a protein (aka protein) of animal origin. He is a participant in metabolic processes in the body of the inhabitants of the sea, animals and humans.
Where is collagen located:
- The skin.
- Connective tissue.
- The walls of blood vessels.
Collagen particles are helical and group into fibers. Together they form a kind of mesh frame.
Its main properties:
- High elasticity;
- The ability to retain water.
In the body, a protein undergoes a multi-stage process of transformation – from nucleation to decay. The life cycle of a substance is known as collagen synthesis.
The role of collagen in the body
Collagen for the skin of the face, body, blood vessels and tendons is necessary. He is responsible for the flexibility of tissues and their ability to withstand loads.
- Tissue renewal.
- Wound healing.
- Ensuring elasticity of the skin and connective tissue of joints and tendons.
- Resistance to mechanical damage.
- Protection against the occurrence of malignant tumors under the influence of ultraviolet radiation.
- Participation in the metabolism.
The value of collagen for appearance
Normal protein synthesis involves constant updating of its fibers and is a prerequisite for maintaining the youthfulness of the body.
Collagen for the skin is a protector of beauty and health. Elastic protein framework provides skin elasticity and wound healing. The ability of collagen to retain water is responsible for the hydration of the face and fresh appearance.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Face fitness for lifting the face contour, rejuvenation, muscle tone. Master class from Elena Karkukli
What is dangerous collagen deficiency
Collagen deficiency threatens the fragility of tissues and a decrease in their elasticity. Bones, joints and tendons become brittle and are at risk of mechanical damage.
The skin of the face and body with a lack of collagen loses elasticity. In return, she gets wrinkles and age spots . Protein deficiency leads to a violation of water metabolism and the appearance of dry skin.
Factors Affecting Collagen Fiber Renewal
Protein synthesis depends on natural biological phenomena and individual living conditions.
What affects the renewal of collagen molecules:
- Age is a key factor in the activity of protein synthesis. Over the years, the process of collagen renewal slows down, provoking the appearance of wrinkles and senile fragility of bones and joints.
- Congenital ailments of the connective tissue and immune system.
- Nutrition. Deficiency of vitamins and trace elements obtained with food threatens the normal synthesis of collagen.
- Bad habits. Excessive drinking drains the body. It interferes with 1 of the main functions of collagen – water metabolism. Smoking helps slow down blood circulation, impairing the nutrition of collagen fibers. Tobacco is damaging to animal protein.
- Lifestyle. Psychological stress and poor sleep disturb the overall balance of body systems. Addiction to sunbathing increases the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays on the skin, threatening its protective functions.
How to make up for a lack of collagen
The aging of the body cannot be stopped, but it can be slowed down.
3 ways to maintain collagen levels at an acceptable level:
- Cosmetology procedures.
- Hardware rejuvenation techniques.
- Enrichment of the diet with microelements providing normal collagen synthesis.
Cosmetological procedures involve tissue saturation with additional collagen.
Professional rejuvenation techniques using special equipment activate the synthesis of your own collagen synthesis. Anti-aging nutrition involves the use of foods rich in valuable substances, and the introduction of special additives with collagen into the diet.
The use of collagen in cosmetology
Collagen for face skin in the beauty industry is used in 2 directions:
- Anti-aging cosmetics: masks, creams and collagen boosters (additives to traditional products that increase their effectiveness).
- Preparations for injection of beauty and youth.
Collagen, which is part of cosmetic products, can have a different origin. The degree of safety, price and effectiveness of the drugs depend on the sources of the anti-aging component.
Where does the protein for cosmetics come from:
- Donor tissue of humans and animals. Collagen taken from cattle is the most common ingredient in cosmetics. Using bovine protein is beneficial for cosmetics manufacturers because of its low cost. Cons of animal collagen – poor ability to penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin and high allergenicity.
- Marine collagen. It is extracted from the skin and bone tissue of fish. The benefits of marine protein are hypoallergenic and effective.
- Plant Protein – Extracted from cereals such as wheat. Wheat protein has high quality characteristics and is safe. The disadvantage of a plant analogue of collagen is its high cost, which accordingly affects the price of a cosmetic product.
Collagen cream: principle of action and effectiveness
Collagen for skin care products is valuable because of its ability to give tissues elasticity and retain moisture. The product creates a film on the skin that prevents the liquid from evaporating.
Maintaining skin hydration is the main merit of collagen in anti-aging creams. Animal protei
n from cosmetics will not make up for the lack of its own protein due to its weak penetrating ability. Collagen activates the absorption of other beneficial components of cosmetics by the skin.
Reliable creams active ingredients:
- Elastin is an animal protein related to collagen. It maintains a normal level of oily skin and provides a slight anti-aging effect.
- Panthenol is a drug created on the basis of vitamin B 5 . It accelerates tissue repair, soothes and moisturizes the skin. Vitamin B 5 gives strength to the collagen frame.
- Antioxidants – retinol, vitamins A, C, E. They increase the protective functions of the body. Antioxidants neutralize inflammation and activate the renewal of collagen fibers.
- Hyaluronic acid maintains moisture in tissues, thereby establishing the process of collagen synthesis.
Collagen masks: features, types and rules of use
Collagen for face skin in the composition of the masks has a moisturizing effect. These cosmetic products stimulate blood circulation and the synthesis of your own protein.
In the composition of anti-aging masks, collagen is adjacent to active auxiliary substances like hyaluronic acid. They ensure the delivery of protein to skin cells and its inclusion in the processes of metabolism and tissue renewal.
Collagen masks come in several forms:
- Products with a cream or jelly texture.
- A set of powder and liquid for self-preparation of a solution.
- Fabric masks.
The product application rules are the same for all release forms:
- Facial cleansing with a scrub is an obligatory preparatory stage.
- The product with collagen is applied to the skin. The duration of holding the mask on the face is about 20 minutes.
- At the end of the session, the product is thoroughly washed off with clean water.
Application of the mask tonic on the skin. It looks moisturized, reduces the number of inflammations and small wrinkles.
A mask with collagen will show the maximum anti-aging effect with course use. The duration of the program is about 2 weeks, subject to daily application of the drug to the face. Then, for prevention, it is recommended to use a mask for lifting up to 2 times a week.
Boosters are a relatively new product in the line of exterior care products. The name of the drug comes from the English word “boost” and in the American translation means “increase the level.”
The main difference between a booster and a cream with collagen is a higher concentration of active components. The purpose of its use is to accelerate and increase the effectiveness of conventional anti-aging cosmetics.
3 options for using the booster:
- Application to the skin as a base layer under a regular face cream.
- Use as the main anti-aging product.
- Adding the drug to the cream.
The regular use of a collagen booster is a prerequisite for the manifestation of its anti-aging abilities. Collagen from the drug is included in metabolic processes gradually and over time has a positive effect on the condition of the skin.
Cons of cosmetics with collagen
The main disadvantage of collagen cosmetics is the threat of allergic reactions to animal protein.
The benefits of using creams and boosters are in doubt for 2 reasons:
- The film created by the product on the skin prevents the free evaporation of moisture and the natural removal of toxins. All this is fraught with a violation of water metabolism in the body and the accumulation of harmful substances.
- The cream is addictive to the skin. Over time, the anti-aging effect disappears.
Collagen Injection: Characterization and Effect of the Procedure
Introducing drugs through injections into the body is a way to saturate the skin with the substances necessary to maintain health and youth. “Youth injections” provide the construction of a new collagen frame under the skin, increase its elasticity and ability to self-renew.
Indications for collagen injections:
- “Goose feet” in the eyelids.
- Shallow facial wrinkles in the nose and mouth.
- Traces of scars.
Animal protein is used for injection. A new area of injectable cosmetology is the use of collagen grown in the laboratory. The basis for growing collagen is the patient’s own biomaterial.
Experts highly appreciate the safety of the “native” protein, but disagree on its anti-aging abilities. To enhance the effect of injection techniques, modern injections are cocktails made of several anti-aging components, including collagen.
A mandatory preparatory stage is to pass an allergy test to the drug for injection.
The average duration of the procedure is 20 minutes. Injections of youth in different cases provide for a course of procedures or are carried out in one session. Plus anti-aging injections – a quick lifting effect. It is noticeable immediately after the procedure and lasts about 9 months.
The lack of collagen injections is postoperative traces of exposure to the needle in the form of swelling and spots on the face. Injuries heal within 2 months after the injection.
Hardware techniques for collagen synthesis
Anti-aging procedures using special devices stimulate metabolic processes in the body. Partial destruction of the skin becomes a kind of shock therapy for collagen molecules. Protein particles mobilize all forces to restore the protective skeleton of the skin.
Hardware techniques are used as an independent anti-aging procedure or in conjunction with collagen injections. The complex effects of technology and injections promise the maximum anti-aging effect.
Examples of hardware cosmetology procedures to accelerate collagen synthesis:
- Microdermabrasion – skin resurfacing. The operation allows you to get rid of dead cells and facilitates the construction of new collagen fibers.
- Ultrasonic phonophoresis is a comprehensive technique. It involves treating the face with a cosmetic product, the effect of which is enhanced by the use of ultrasonic waves.
- Collagen therapy – the use of light radiation to activate collagen synthesis in the body. For the patient, the procedure is similar to a visit to the solarium.
Collagen nutritional supplements and their effects on the body
Bioactive collagen complexes have won the fame of elixirs of eternal youth. Beauty trend for beauty supplements came from Asian cou
ntries. Proponents of this trend believe that the use of collagen inside will avoid the appearance of wrinkles on the face.
The initial goal of collagen supplementation is to combat brittle bones and joints. They help to accelerate the restoration of ligaments and muscles after injuries, increase tissue endurance under conditions of increased stress.
Hydrolyzed collagen is used in oral formulations. Its main advantage is easy digestibility by the body.
The protein of youth received in the stomach is not digested. It is included in the process of collagen synthesis and goes to the solution of the primary tasks of the body – the restoration of injured tissues, strengthening the skeleton.
Nutritional supplements improve the elasticity and strength of the bones and connective tissues of the body.
Drinking dietary supplements with collagen for the rejuvenation of the skin of the face will not bring the expected instant result. Solving local problems like age-related nasolabial folds requires a targeted, point-by-point approach using cosmetic procedures.
What products with collagen are more effective for facial skin
To date, injection and hardware techniques are recognized as the most effective in terms of facial rejuvenation. They provide a deep penetration of collagen into the layers of the skin and its successful incorporation into the construction of an elastic protein framework.
The directed action of the needle allows you to eliminate specific defects in appearance.
Current approaches to the creation of collagen preparations for injection make anti-aging procedures safe. Innovative equipment increases the effectiveness of skin lifting techniques.
Proper nutrition as an prevention of aging: products that activate collagen synthesis
The protein of youth is in close interaction with all body systems. Elements necessary for human health also affect the quality of collagen synthesis. A sufficient amount of vitamins and nutrients is the key to successful renewal of protein fibers and maintaining youthful skin.
The table shows the types of valuable substances on which collagen synthesis depends, and examples of products with a high content of these elements.
|Name of useful component||Products|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids||
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Facial massage according to the Japanese doctor Asahi Zogan.
Collagen is the body’s shield in the fight against old age. It is necessary to maintain an attractive appearance and internal vitality. The complex use of cosmetology techniques, food additives along with the normalization of lifestyle open the way to prolonging the youth of the skin of the face, body, bone and muscle tissue.
Author: Anna Fursova
How to keep youth with collagen: