The human body is 1/3 composed of muscles. They protect the internal organs, cavities, cartilage and bone system, hold the spinal column. Developed muscle mass makes a person more beautiful, slimmer, more attractive. Strong muscles, including the upper pectoral muscles, require systematic training, performing exercises that support them in shape.
- How to pump up the upper chest muscles
- Features of training for women and men
- Pectoral Muscle Pull
- Push-ups for pectoral muscles at home
- Push-ups on the pectoral muscles
- Dips on the pectoral muscles
- Crossbar classes
- Pectoral Dumbbell Exercises
- Pectoral Exercise
- Training simulators
- A set of exercises for building muscle mass for men
- The optimal training schedule for women
- How to increase the effectiveness of classes
- Upper Chest Exercise Video
How to pump up the upper chest muscles
It is not possible for everyone to bring pectoral muscles into shape.
The reasons are hiding:
- in antisymmetric development;
- in an unskilled approach to the selection and implementation of exercises;
- in the genetic features of the body structure.
The chest consists of 3 zones: upper, middle and lower.
The first is less developed. Beginners, not knowing the structural features of the pectoral muscles, begin a “career” with popular exercises: bench press, breeding dumbbells, push-ups.
The emphasis on the action of physical exertion in this department follows by performing exercises at an angle, with the head raised. When training on a bench, the back should be raised to 30-60 °. The height of the angle proportionally increases the degree of load.
Exercises on the bars for building the upper chest area are performed in a horizontal position so that the legs lie on the pipes. When the body falls below the projectile, from this position to the horizontal, push-ups work out exactly the muscles of the chest.
Features of training for women and men
When developing programs for playing sports, women need to take into account the characteristics of their body and the specifics of muscle growth. The body is prone to fat accumulation. It’s more difficult for them to increase muscle. This fact is not excluded even among professional athletes.
The bulk of adipose tissue is below the waist. The leg power of young women is 27% weaker than men’s. The shoulder girdle is inferior in endurance by 40-70%. The spine is longer, the limbs are shorter. The heart is smaller than the male, therefore, it often contracts.
The female body needs much more time to restore working capacity and well-being after heavy physical exertion, while men transfer it much easier.
The number of muscle fibers of the muscles of the chest is inferior to that of the opposite sex.
It is more difficult for girls to achieve an increase in muscle mass in this area, even with intensive strength training. The difference between the weaker sex program is the rhythm technique and the number of repetitions for a particular muscle group.
Female muscles are made up of smooth muscles. It is characterized by:
- weak ability to increase;
- minimal damage.
Given these features, the load size and the number of repetitions in the approaches are calculated. Girls need to perform exercises, increasing by 30% the number of repetitions of those performed by men, using a small load.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Drying the body for girls. Training program, a detailed nutrition menu for a month by day.
Pectoral Muscle Pull
The exact distribution of the load during exercises on the horizontal bar directly depends on the grasp of the hands. Pumping the top of the pectoral muscles, use a wide direct grip, or mixed, in combination with the institution of the head for the horizontal bar. The choice depends on the level of training. Start with 2 sets of 5 pull-ups. The amount is increased weekly by 5%.
In exercises on the horizontal bar, the phases are distinguished:
- positive – the body is lifted;
- negative – the body is released;
There are 2 techniques: “emphasis on strength”, “emphasis on mass”.
Power stop technique:
- the body is lifted slowly, lowered quickly, the duration of the lift 3 sec., descent 1 sec .;
- every 3 lessons increase the number of repetitions by 3;
- in the lifting phase, it is important to maintain tension in the muscles;
- rest gradually reduced to 2 minutes.
“Mass emphasis” provides for compliance with the following rules:
- the rise of the body is carried out quickly (1 sec.), the descent is slow (3 sec.);
- the body is tense in a negative phase;
- the number of repetitions and approaches does not increase;
- rest – 3 min;
- After class, the energy balance is replenished with good nutrition.
When pulling up on the pectoral muscles, it is necessary to practice the following: the positive phase is done on the exhale, the negative phase on the inspiration, they breathe throughout the exercise, without holding air in the lungs.
Holding the breath during physical exertion provokes oxygen starvation of the body, which leads to a decrease in the result. The lack of air does not allow you to perform the exercise in the desired amount, reduces the number of rises and lowerings. Symptoms of incorrect breathing are manifested in the form of dizziness, loss of strength, weakness.
Push-ups for pectoral muscles at home
Training is carried out at least 2-3 times a week.
Perform a set of exercises:
- Push ups . It will take 8 books with a thickness of at least 500 sheets. At a distance of 27’6 inch, in parallel, books are placed in a turret of 4 pieces. Having emphasized books, they begin to do push-ups. The movements are slow. Lowering the body lasts 7-8 seconds. Perform 15 times in 4 sets.
- The second exercise involves fixing the position . With your hands on the floor, they begin push-ups. When the body is half close to the floor, a delay of 2-3 seconds is made, then the spin is brought to the end and the body is again fixed for 2-3 seconds. Perform 10 times in 4 sets.
Push-ups with an inclination are performed, as usual, only the feet are raised above the level of the head, the toes of the feet are rested on a sofa or bench. Produce 10 rep
etitions in 3 sets.
- Pushing off the floor and clapping hands after lifting the case completely. Perform better at the end of the complex. While the body is not adapted, you can just tear yourself off the floor, gradually introduce pops. Do 2 approaches to the full calculation.
Push-ups on the pectoral muscles
Exercise that strengthens the upper chest muscles:
- rest your hands on the edge of the bench, the alignment of hands is wider than the shoulders, elbows are straight;
- legs rested on the floor, keep the body level;
- we spread our elbows to the side, bend our arms, lower our chest to the bench;
- raise the body until the elbow joints are fully extended.
When pushing up, do not lie down on the bench with your chest, but lightly touch . The downward movement is accompanied by exhalation, the rise is carried out by inspiration. Gradually, the number of repetitions and approaches increase.
The scheme is as follows:
- 1 week – 5 approaches: 20-20-15-10-5;
- 2 – 5 approaches: 25-25-20-15-10;
- 3 – 5 approaches: 30-30-25-25-20;
- 4 – 5 approaches: 40-35-25-25-15;
- 5 – 5 approaches: 45-45-30-30-25.
Dips on the pectoral muscles
Technique of the exercise:
- start from the top position. Body is slightly forward, legs are bent at the knees;
- inhaling as low as possible smoothly lower the body, make a second pause;
- on exhalation they raise. The elbow joints, when the body has reached a high point, are bent.
Produce 10 repetitions, 3 sets. Rest between sets 1-2 min. When pushing up, it is important to monitor the position of the elbows. The width of the bars is set more than the width of the shoulders by 3’9 – 5’9 inch, this provides a load on the muscles of the chest.
Work on the crossbars allows you to reduce weight, maintain the condition of the spine, strengthens the muscles of the chest, ligaments of the hands and joints . The projectile is complex. For beginners created the technique of “negative repetition.” It is based on an allegedly completed pull-up.
The person performing the exercise gets up on a chair, fixes his position on the horizontal bar: his arms are bent at the elbows, his chin is raised above the horizontal bar (as if they had done a pull-up). The chair is removed and the body is on its own, slowly lowered, the arms are unbent. The first week produce 4-5 sets, in each 3 repetitions.
When the usual pull-up becomes feasible, go to complicated exercises:
- narrow grip with the touch of the bar with the chest;
- pulling the head on a wide grip. At the same time, they keep the back straight, smooth movements;
- raising the body on the back grip, the tips of the fingers look at the trainee;
- hanging with raising legs, bending at the knees (increases growth, straightens posture);
- lifting straight legs with flexion of the hips (pump presses).
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Glutamic acid – what it is, why and how it is used in sports and bodybuilding.
Pectoral Dumbbell Exercises
Training with dumbbells in exercises for the upper pectoral muscles pumps small muscles stabilizers:
- starting position: lying on a bench, take dumbbells in your hands so that the shoulders are located at a right angle relative to the body;
- a breath is taken, hands are lowered to the chest. Pause 1-2 sec .;
- on exhalation, bring the hands to their original position. Pause 1-2 sec.
Exercises for the upper part of the pectoral muscles in an inclined position, the head is located above the pelvis – the upper is pumped, below – the middle section works.
Performed as follows:
- lie on a bench, dumbbells are located at chest level, elbows look to the sides, bent 90 °;
- inhale, dumbbells lift vertically up. At the highest point, a pause, and movements are directed to the starting position;
- starting position: lying on a bench, arms straightened at the elbows are raised up;
- on inspiration, the dumbbells are bred to the sides;
- exhale, return to starting position.
The trajectory of divorce and return of hands should be the same. Dumbbells do not fall below shoulder level. Classes are performed in 3 sets of 12 times.
A priority exercise for the development of the upper pectoral muscles is the bench press lying:
- initial position: the bench is fixed at an angle of 45 °, the bar is raised up, the grip on the bar is 3’9 – 5’9 inch wider than the shoulders, the legs are abated on the floor, the shoulder blades are brought together, the back is bent;
- inhale. Lower the shell, touching the top of the chest;
- exhale . Press up (return to the starting position).
Deadlift, in the exercise works up to 75% of the muscles:
- stand close to the bar of the bar, the feet are parallel to each other, spaced shoulder width apart;
- they squat, take a shell with a direct grip (wider by 3’9 – 5’9 inch of shoulders). Shoulders are parallel to the bar, arms are vertical to the floor;
- take a deep breath and begin to pull up on the exhale;
- lifting, just above the knees straighten, the sh
oulder blades bring as close as possible;
- the bar is released downward when the shoulder blades and curved lower back are lowered;
- as soon as the projectile has dropped below the knees, do a squat, touch the floor with pancakes.
Important! keep the lower back in a curved position, do movements only smoothly, do not pull the bar sharply.
Craving for the chin. It is performed with a narrow grip, arms are bent at the elbows. Breathe in, lift the barbell to the chin, elbows spread apart. The position is fixed for 2-3 seconds. On the exhale lower the shell.
Gyms are equipped with many exercise machines for pumping muscles of the upper chest.
The butterfly simulator is made in the form of a bench with a back and is equipped with two handles, which are set in motion by the efforts of the hands (dumbbells).
Suitable for beginners and advanced athletes. The load is regulated by loads. They are added as you gain skills or by setting the angle of the seat.
Exercises include bringing down and raising arms to the side. Exercise on the simulator strengthens all the pectoral muscles, including those that are difficult to train.
The butterfly has many modifications, but the principle of their action and mechanism are the same.
The crossover is effective in performing exercises for the upper chest muscles. It has a metal frame in the form of an arched rack, to which two cables with loads are attached to the sides. The athlete is located between the bases, clamps the handles of the cables, or one cable in the palms, and makes hand swings. Manufacturers have provided for the possibility of weighting by adding cargo.
The projectile for improving chest muscles is Hammer’s simulator . In structure, it looks like a butterfly. It differs in that the hands do not move in different directions, but up and down. The ends of the levers are equipped with cargo blocks, so the athlete has the ability to adjust the load.
The simulator allows you to work with one hand or both at once.
A set of exercises for building muscle mass for men
To work out the upper chest area will allow a set of exercises performed in the indicated sequence:
- begin with exercises on the bench at an angle of 20 – 45 degrees . Dumbbells are used, which are lying on a bench, with hands slightly bent at the elbows, bred to the sides. Perform 30 repetitions, 3-4 sets. Rest between repetitions 10-30 s .;
- continue to press the bar . The back of the bench is set at an angle of at least 20 degrees. They work with partial amplitude only in the upper part, without bringing the bar to the chest. Enough 20 repetitions of at least 3 approaches with a break of 10-30 s .;
- then proceed to narrow push-ups. Hands stand as close to each other so that the thumbs touch. Having lowered the body to the floor, the position is fixed for 2-3 seconds, this gives the maximum load on the top of the chest. Perform 20 repetitions, at least 3-4 approaches;
- complete pushing “forward” . The legs are located above the rest of the body, the elbows are looking in different directions. The number of repetitions is 20, repetitions 3-4.
The complex belongs to a series of intensive training, during which the muscles will receive micro-fractures, but subsequently heal. Doing every day should not be. A one-day break allows muscle tissue to recover, stretch and increase. The body should not get used to the stress. It is necessary to constantly increase the number of repetitions and approaches, add weight to sports equipment.
Features of the exercises for women:
- the muscles of women respond to serious loads, it makes no sense to use light weight. If the choice is made in favor of increasing the number of exercises, instead of increasing the weight of the inventory, it is impossible to achieve muscle growth;
- muscle growth occurs if the athlete adheres to a high-calorie diet. Heavy training on a regular diet or in combination with fat burning will allow you to bring your physical form in order, but will not ensure the development of muscles;
- a set of exercises for the weaker sex involves performing 8-10 repetitions in 2-3 approaches. Rest in the approaches 2-3 minutes.
The optimal training schedule for women
The training algorithm for athletes of all sexes includes 5 mandatory steps:
- cardio workout . 10-15 minutes of exercise on a stationary bike, treadmill or ellipsoid to choose from. Calculation of the load depends on the average heart rate. The number of beats per minute is not more than 70-80% of the set figure 200;
- warm up for joints . It includes 5-7 exercises at the discretion of the trainee (turning the body to the sides, twisting the torso, leaning forward, backward);
- repetition of exercises from the main part, using lightweight weights not exceeding 30-50% of the worker. These 3 stages are necessary for warming up the muscles and preparing for a hard load;
- basic exercises using weighting materials;
- hitch . They stretch the muscles and devote 10-15 minutes to exercising on an exercise bike or ellipse.
It is recommended to be physically active every day.
If the athlete is not busy pumping muscles, simple aerobic activity on this day should be present:
- swimming in a pool or open water;
- pleasure cycling;
- jogging in the fresh air;
- walking in athletic steps.
Those whose daily activities are associated with a sedentary lifestyle, it is better to gradually merge into the training process and give iron classes no more than 2 times a week, devote another 2 days to aerobic exercise.
is as follows:
- Monday and Thursday – load in the hall;
- Tuesday, Friday – aerobic exercise;
- Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday – rest.
The minimum time interval that a novice athlete must devote to physical activity is 20 minutes. in a day. Increase to 60 min. need with the advent of experience. Warm-up does not count. It is better for beginners to start with home exercises, devoting 10 minutes each day to training.
How to increase the effectiveness of classes
Classes with the same weight are unacceptable, it must be increased simultaneously, increase the number of repetitions and approaches. The absence of weighting will lead to stagnation, cessation of muscle growth, as the body adapts to stress.
A sharp increase is not desirable, as this provokes injuries. Progress is possible if the weight in repetition on the last approach was on the verge of muscle failure. Professionals are advised to adhere to the rule proposed by Thomas Beechl “two for two.”
The rule speaks of the need to increase the load and complexity of exercises if the athlete has reached a level at which he can do 2 reps more and does this for two trainings.
From ancient times, the inflated chest personified a symbol of courage and heroism. Performing exercises for the upper part of the pectoral muscles does not occupy the last place in the training process of each athlete. Training this part of the body involves a huge calorie expenditure, which is useful for burning body fat.
Upper Chest Exercise Video
Exercises for women to strengthen the pectoral muscles:
Men’s Home Workout Program for Strengthening the Pectoral Muscles: