Dry skin on the elbows is a common problem in modern society. Treatment depends on the cause and state of a person’s overall health.
- External causes of elbow dryness
- Internal causes and diseases causing peeling of the elbows
- Signs of health problems in children, adolescents, and adults that cause elbow dryness
- Traditional and folk treatments
- Pharmacy medicines: a table of effective ointments and tablets
- Cosmetics for the treatment of dry elbows
- Folk recipes for rough skin on the elbows
- Honey and coffee scrub
- Potato mask
- Home mask
- Treatment of skin on the elbows with dermatitis
- Psoriasis Treatment
- Thyroid Disease Treatment
- Elbow skin treatment for adrenal dysfunction
- Elbow skin treatment for anemia
- Healing baths and lotions
- Diet for dry and rough skin on the elbows
- Drinking regimen with dry elbows
- When can you do without medical help
- Recommendations by doctors on skin care on the elbows
- Dry Elbow Prevention: Basic Care
- How to quickly get rid of rough skin on the elbows
- Dry Elbow Video
External causes of elbow dryness
External causes affecting the condition of the skin on the elbows:
- Inadequate skin care: refusal to use moisturizing and nourishing creams, use of low-quality detergents.
- Frequent contact with water: bathing and cleaning.
- Frequent contact with active detergents.
- An allergic reaction to cosmetic cosmetics.
- Excessive tanning.
- Frequent temperature changes.
- Mechanical damage to the skin, which leads to microcracks.
- Wearing clothes made of synthetic materials;
Internal causes and diseases causing peeling of the elbows
Dry skin on the elbows, the causes and treatment of which may be associated with pathologies and diseases, may occur due to pathological factors:
- Diseases of the endocrine system. In this case, metabolic disorders affect the skin condition. This results in weakened skin protection. On the elbows, it is very thin and at the same time subject to increased pressure and friction.
- Disruption in hormonal metabolism. Dry flaky skin on the elbows is often found in expectant mothers and women during menopause. If the deterioration of the skin appears in another period and is accompanied by other symptoms, it is necessary to consult an endocrinologist or gynecologist.
- Seasonal vitamin deficiency , a lack of vitamins A, E and C.
- The occurrence of skin diseases.
Signs of health problems in children, adolescents, and adults that cause elbow dryness
Diseases can manifest themselves with the following symptoms:
1. From the skin:
- the appearance of plaques;
- the appearance of small papules;
2. From the endocrine system:
- weight change, loss of appetite;
- change in the size of the thyroid gland;
- increased sweating or dryness of the skin and eyes;
- emotional instability;
- trembling in the body and limbs;
- fast fatiguability;
- short stature in children;
- severe acne in adolescents;
- impaired cognitive function of the brain.
3. From the reproductive system:
- decreased libido;
- menstrual irregularities, infertility;
- early or late onset of puberty.
4. On the part of the immune system:
- frequent allergic reactions in children;
- frequent colds;
- hair loss, brittle nails;
- tarnishing of the skin, a change in its color;
- frequent occurrence of foci of infection.
Traditional and folk treatments
Traditional methods of treatment include ointments, creams and gels that nourish, soothe and moisturize not only the upper layers of the skin, but also the deep epidermis. Tablets and injections are prescribed by doctors only in exceptional cases, when dry elbows are a symptom of a more serious disease.
Among folk methods of treatment can be applied:
- ointments, prepared at home;
- herbal infusions for the preparation of compresses and baths;
- baths with sea salt;
- compresses based on vegetable and animal fats;
- natural peels;
- compresses from fresh vegetables and fruits.
Pharmacy medicines: a table of effective ointments and tablets
|Bepanten||Cream, ointment||Virtually no contraindications. Can be used by newborns and pregnant women. Heals, nourishes and softens the skin. Apply several times a day.|
|Radevid||ointment||Ideal for age-related skin changes, loss of elasticity, dryness and cracks. It is used to eliminate dryness after prolonged contact with household chemicals and gardening. Apply 2 times a day.|
|Viterol||balm||Quickly heals damaged tissues, prevents the occurrence of itching and infection, strengthens blood vessels and improves blood circulation. stimulates regeneration. Treat elbows 3 times a day.|
|Viterol||drops||They are an analogue of balm. It can be used as a prophylactic with the permission of a doctor.|
|Aevit||capsules||It is a source of vitamins A and E.|
Cosmetics for the treatment of dry elbows
The best cosmetics for dry elbows:
LIPIKAR SYNDET AP +.
Cosmetic body gel. Suitable for all ages. Quickly softens the skin, protects it from irritation and itching. It is applied to slightly damp skin and rubbed, the residue is washed off with water.
- Rich body cream. Treats ultra-nutritious creams. Rubbed quite a long time – up to 20 minutes. Protects skin from dryness for 3 days.
- Cream “Proteins-minerals”. It is applied once a day. It removes dryness and irritation after the first application. Protects the skin with a lipid film.
- Clarins Nourishing Cream. It has a very dense structure, but is quickly absorbed. Suitable for irritated due to dry skin.
Folk recipes for rough skin on the elbows
With dry elbows before applying masks and pharmacy preparations, the skin is necessarily treated with a scrub. < /p>
Honey and coffee scrub
With dry elbows before applying masks and pharmacy preparations, the skin is necessarily treated with a scrub.
To prepare it you need:
- a few tablespoons of used coffee grounds;
- liquid honey (if honey has thickened, it can be melted in a water bath).
Honey and coffee are mixed until a thick slurry. It must be applied to the elbows with massage movements and washed off after 10 minutes. Coffee is able to draw moisture, so after a scrub, the skin must be moisturized with a natural cream.
There are two ways to make such a mask:
- Potatoes are boiled and crushed to a state of mashed potatoes. You can add 1 tablespoon to it. any vegetable oil. The elbows are immersed in the hot mass until it cools.
- Large potato is cut into 2 halves. Most of them are cut out and chopped with a grater. Then the mass is poured into the remaining potato “cups”. The elbows are immersed there for 15 minutes. After rinsing, the skin is lubricated with a nourishing cream.
For its preparation, 1 teaspoons is mixed:
- fine salt (without iodine);
- fat cream;
- hydrogen peroxide;
- orange juice.
Before applying the mask, the skin is treated with a scrub and steamed in hot water. Then a mask is applied to dry elbows and wrapped in plastic wrap for half an hour.
Treatment of skin on the elbows with dermatitis
Dermatitis is a chronic skin disease with an allergic nature. It is characterized by dry skin, possibly with wet areas, itching, peeling and severe irritation.
In the period of exacerbation, it is necessary to use:
- antihistamine creams and gels (Fenistil);
- hormonal ointments (Sinaf, Akriderm);
- antihistamine drops (Parlazin, Fenkarol);
- antihistamines (Zirtek, Suprastin);
- ointments with antibiotics (in case of infection).
In the period of remission, when the only symptom of the disease remains dry on the elbows, you can use a wide range of folk remedies. For prevention, the skin is treated with sea buckthorn oil. You can make lotions from the bark of oak, chamomile, celandine and a series of daily, gradually reducing their number to 1-2 times a week.
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that is characterized by severe itching and the appearance of characteristic plaques on the skin.
In the acute phase of the disease from dryness, peeling and itching on the elbows, pharmacy products will help:
- ointments with solidol (Magnipsor, Kartalin, etc.) – help get rid of peeling and the effect of “rough skin” due to oil components;
- ointments with tar (Antrasulfone ointment, etc.) – help reduce itching, exfoliate dead tissue;
- hormone-based ointments (Betamethasone and others) – remove all the symptoms of the disease, but have a depressing effect on endocrine health. It is recommended to use only with severe exacerbation by short courses;
- Osteotriol (a tool with calcitriol) – the substance helps to improve the penetration of vitamin D into the skin and saturate the dermis with calcium, which is necessary for psoriasis.
During the use of pharmacy products, dermatologists recommend combining them with therapeutic baths. They are prepared on the basis of medicinal mineral waters, concentrated sea water and decoctions of herbs.
- Bath with sea salt. 1 tablespoon is added to heated non-carbonated mineral water. sea salt without dyes and flavorings. Elbows dip in water for 10 minutes. Then lubricated with a fat cream or therapeutic ointment.
- A bath with herbs. Mixes 1 teaspoons. a shea of chamomile, celandine, valerian, calendula, string and swamp calamus grass. The mixture is poured with boiling water and left for half an hour. The fluid is cleaned of grass. The elbows are immersed in it for 25-30 minutes.
Thyroid Disease Treatment
With a thyroid disease, hypothyroidism often occurs, in which the cellular composition of the dermis changes, the skin coarsens. Treatment of the disease is carried out using various hormonal drugs.
For coarsened and drying skin of the elbows with hypothyroidism, peels based on lactic acid with amino acids and urea are used. It is recommended to use vitamin complexes with retinol ethers, linoleic and linolenic acids, cholesterol.
Elbow skin treatment for adrenal dysfunction
Dry elbows, the causes and treatment of which are associated with adrenal dysfunction, appear due to a malfunction of the sebaceous glands. The skin needs constant nutrition and hydration.
In such cases, it is recommended to use pharmacy products to care for the epidermis. In addition, ointments with an anti-inflammatory effect and hormonal creams with corticosteroids should be used.
In the absence of exacerbation, the skin must be treated with olive or sea buckthorn oil.
Elbow skin treatment for anemia
Dry elbows with anemia are associated with a lack of trace elements and vitamins. With vitamin deficiency in a mild form, it is necessary to drink a comprehensive course of vitamins and minerals.
In severe cases, drugs may be prescribed:
- Ferrum Lek, etc.
You can use them only after consulting a doctor and diagnosing the disease.
Cream with vitamins will help improve the condition of the skin on the elbows. Due to the lack of trace elements, the skin not only peels off very much, but is also easily injured. it is necessary to choose cosmetics with vitamins C, B, trace elements iron, magnesium, potassium, etc.
To prepare the product at home, you will need:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil;
- 1 teaspoons aloe juice;
- 1 teaspoons sea buckthorn oil (or fresh juice);
- 1 ascorbic, crushed into powder.
The ingredients are mixed until smooth. The product can be warmed to room temperature in a water bath. They usd the skin of the elbows with liquid several times a day or use it as a means for night compresses.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Amaranth oil – properties and applications in cosmetology, reviews, price of funds.
Healing baths and lotions
It is recommended to add vegetable oils to the medical baths for skin care of the elbows. The effect of such procedures is noticeable after a few days.
To prepare the bath, you need to heat half a cup of olive oil in a water bath. Then, a few drops of glycerin, almond or castor oil are added to this. The elbows are immersed in a warm liquid for 10-15 minutes. After the procedure, the skin is lightly wiped with a napkin. Baths can be done by pre-treating the elbows with a scrub.
On the elbows lotions are used for very dry rough skin, when the causes are internal diseases and additional treatment is carried out. Usually compresses are left overnight. An exception is lotion with vinegar, you can keep it no longer than half an hour.
- Compress with honey. A teaspoon of honey and almond oil are mixed together, rubbed into the skin and wound with polyethylene.
- Compress with tomatoes. Fresh sour tomatoes are chopped with a meat grinder or a blender until mashed. Preliminarily, it is recommended to get seeds from them. Vegetable fruit acid not only softens the coarsened skin, but also brightens it.
- Compress with alcohol and vinegar. A teaspoon of alcohol, glycerin, vinegar and fat cream is mixed until smooth. The mixture is applied to the skin without rubbing for 25-30 minutes. After using such a lotion, the skin is additionally lubricated with cream or petroleum jelly.
Diet for dry and rough skin on the elbows
With very dry, rough skin on the elbows, it is necessary to eat a balanced diet and exclude foods and dishes that violate the water balance from the diet. It is advisable to give up coffee, reduce the consumption of pure sugar and salty foods . They “draw” moisture from the body, which is the main cause of dry skin.
Protein foods: meat, liver and oily sea fish will help improve skin condition. In these products, the maximum amount of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids. Vegetables and fruits will become “suppliers” of vitamin C, the necessary substance to protect the skin of the elbows from a harmful external environment.
With serious vitamin deficiency, the diet must necessarily have vegetable oils: olive and linseed. They are champions in terms of vitamin E.
Drinking regimen with dry elbows
Dry skin on the elbows may indicate a lack of moisture. This reason is temporary and does not require treatment.
The optimal amount of water consumption is 3 – 4 pint per day, depending on the weight of the person. In the summer heat, this volume must be increased by another 0,1 gallon.
The entire volume of water must be divided into small receptions during the day (10-15 times). There are special phone apps that tell you when to drink water. If a person consumes additional juices, compotes or fruit drinks, the amount of clean water must be reduced. Excessive drinking can cause swelling.
When can you do without medical help
In most cases, it is possible to restore the skin independently, using cosmetic and folk remedies. In some people, peeling of the skin on the elbows goes away on their own.
But there are cases in which you need to consult a doctor:
- peeling is accompanied by itching and burning;
- the skin may periodically “get wet”;
- after taking a bath, irritation intensifies;
- foci of redness and peeling appear on other parts of the skin, hair falls out;
- the condition of the skin, nails and teeth worsens;
- problems with female sexual health are observed (cycle instability, painful menstruation, infertility, etc.);
- sharply increases or decreases weight;
- fatigue, drowsiness, decreased performance.
Recommendations by doctors on skin care on the elbows
Dry skin on the elbows (the causes and treatment are interconnected, so you need to be examined before therapy) requires special care.
Doctors recommend following these guidelines:
- refuse to use soaps and shower gels with a high level of sulfates;
- introduce a daily intake of fish oil into the diet;
- monitor your movements: minimize pressure and friction of the skin of the elbows.
- use masks for skin on the elbows with courses, do not stop after the first positive results, take breaks between courses;
- to prevent skin and endocrine diseases;
- use high-quality makeup products.
Dry Elbow Prevention: Basic Care
There are 3 basic rules for elbow skin care:
- Cleansing. To clean the skin on the elbows, it is better not to use soap and a simple washcloth. For this, it is recommended to use scrubs with a moisturizing effect. Effective are coffee, honey, scrub with sea salt, which can be done at home.
- Moisturizing and nutrition. For this, cosmetologists recommend using a simple baby cream without perfumes and additives.
- Additional funds. To prevent coarsening of the skin on the elbows, vitamins A and E can be used not only for nutrition. They are added to the cream or simply rubbed into the skin several times a week.
How to quickly get rid of rough skin on the elbows
ll-known TV presenter and doctor Elena Malysheva recommends using rapeseed and linseed oil for rough skin on the elbows, as an excellent alternative to expensive cosmetics. It is important that the oil is applied in a very thin layer on the slightly damp skin of the elbows . This not only nourishes the skin, but also saturates it with fatty acids, vitamin E and trace elements.
Dry skin on the elbows is the cause of inconvenience and a symptom of certain diseases. Treatment is recommended under the supervision of a cosmetologist or dermatologist.
Dry Elbow Video
Why flaky skin on the elbows: