Dotter patterns are the easiest way to diversify your everyday plain color. Most often, they draw dotted, geometric, floral or lace ornaments. Dots for nail design are used not only in salons, but also for self-creation of manicure.
- What is dots
- What is it needed for
- Varieties of tools
- Rating of the best
- How to use dots: step by step instructions
- How to draw simple dot patterns with dots
- Other dot patterns
- French manicure
- Other patterns
- How to replace the tool at home
- Video on the topic: how to use dots for nail design
What is dots
Dots for nail design (how to use, described below), or dotter – this is a tool for creating drawings on the nails. It looks like a pen at the end of which is a small metal ball.
Most often, dots are made bilateral, with two balls of different diameters at different ends.
What is it needed for
Initially, the dots were created to do polka-dot manicures. This is evident from the name. After all, “dot” in translation from English means “dot”. In addition to points, it is convenient for them to draw straight and curved lines, draw contours and paint over the space inside them.
Dots are easy to use to create a nail design in the style of a military or leopard print. With proper dexterity, they draw openwork lace and other complex patterns on the nails.
Varieties of tools
The only significant characteristic of Dots is the diameter of the tip ball. The size of the picture depends on it.
All dotters are divided into 3 groups:
- With a little ball. It will allow you to draw thin lines, draw a path or put a small dot.
- With a medium ball. It serves to draw various details of the picture: the middle of flowers, curls, medium-sized dots.
- With a big ball. Such a tool is useful for filling the outline with color or for drawing a large pea.
It is better for a beginner to start with two dotters: large and medium. Most often, dots are made bilateral. Therefore, it will be enough to purchase only one tool, choosing the most suitable diameters of the tips.
Rating of the best
Dotter is a very simple tool. Therefore, the brand does not play any role. A tool ordered through a well-known Chinese resource will work the same as a tool purchased in a specialized nail art store.
The following is a ranking of 7 reliable dot sellers on a well-known procurement resource:
- Shop3187002 Store.
- Makeup Store.
- Stylish Bueaty Store.
- Beautifully Store.
- Born Pretty Co., Ltd.
- BeautyLadyNailArt Store.
For those who are just starting to paint on nails, one double-sided pillbox with balls of different sizes will be enough. Those who want to achieve perfection in nail art will need a set of several tools.
As a rule, a set includes 5 dotters with different tips: from the smallest to the largest. A variety of sizes will bring to life the most intricate patterns.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How to draw monograms on nails step by step for beginners. Instructions with photos.
How to use dots: step by step instructions
Dots for nail design (how to use to make an effective drawing, explains step-by-step instructions) is applicable at home:
- To draw a point, you need to carefully type a varnish on a metal ball and press it to the nail plate.
- To make a line, you need to hold a dot in the right direction on the nail. The varnish should be typed carefully so that the excess does not form blots. Better to start with straight lines. After several experiments, you can move on to waves, zigzags, steps. At the end, the line always fades, since there is less varnish on the ball. The slower the dots move, the less pronounced the attenuation. With a leisurely drawing, the paint is consumed more evenly.
- It is most convenient to fill the space inside the contour with strokes, drawing parallel lines adjacent to each other. This will create a smooth and uniform texture.
- During drawing, you need to regularly wipe the tip with a soft cloth or cotton pad to remove particles of drying varnish.
Dots drawing is similar to drawing with an ordinary pen. It is only necessary to monitor the amount of varnish on the ball. If it remains small, the pattern will not be visible. Excesses can lead to ugly blots.
The thickness of the lines and the size of the dots depend on the diameter of the ball. A beautiful manicure will require dots of at least two sizes.
It’s convenient for small ones to draw lines and small dots, and large ones make large peas and fill in large areas inside the outline.
Dipping dots in a bottle of varnish is inconvenient. It’s so difficult to control the amount of varnish that has been collected. In addition, there is a great risk of staining the pen, and then all the objects lying nearby. It’s more convenient to use a palette. It can be made independently from a sheet of paper or a piece of foil, or purchased at a stationery store.
Drawing dots, we must not forget about the following rules:
- before starting a manicure, you must definitely apply a base;
- if color mixing is not included in the plans, each layer should dry well;
- When the drawing is finished, be sure to cover it with a top.
With the help of dots, you can make a dot pattern – an analogue of an ombre.
You just need to put the peas in a row, gradually changing the tone of the varnish from light to dark or vice versa. The easiest way to do this is to dilute the selected shade with white varnish.
How to draw simple dot patterns with dots
The simplest pattern that can be done with dots is dots or polka dots. This will require at least two shades of varnish: for the main coating and for the picture. Points can be made multi-colored, but it is undesirable for beginners to use more than 3-4 colors. It will be very difficult to draw peas beautifully and accurately.
Colors can be:
- Contrasting. The most win-win option is white with any trendy hue.
- In one color scheme. Then one varnish should be pastel and the other bright. For example, pastel and bright yellow, powdery pink and fuchsia, sky blue and blue, peach and bright orange.
Dots for nail design (how to use to create a point manicure is described in detail below) is suitable in creating any image:
- To process nails: to move a cuticle, to give a shape, to polish.
- Apply base coat in one coat, allow to dry.
- Apply the main varnish in one or two layers. Dry each layer well.
- Drop a drop of varnish on the palette to draw points. Dip the dots tip in varnish and gently press it to the nail. Repeat for each pea conceived.
- Let the drawing dry.
- Top cover with a topcoat.
Points can be the same or different sizes. For the same peas, you need to collect varnish every time. If you draw several elements in a row, each subsequent point will be slightly smaller than the previous one. It’s so convenient to draw a “fading” series. And the easiest way to vary the size of peas is to take dots of different sizes.
Other dot patterns
- “Lines.” Line up the dots in a line. They can be longitudinal (along the nail plate), transverse, or diagonally.
- “Star”. Make outgoing from one point “rays”.
- “Speckled”. Randomly draw peas of one or different sizes. In this pattern, you need to try to ensure that the points are approximately the same distance from each other.
- “Flower”. Arrange the dots in the form of a flower: one in the middle and 5-6 around it.
- “French manicure”. Draw a line of peas parallel to the hole or edge of the nail. This variation of the jacket will be discussed in detail below.
- “Inversion”. The highlight of this manicure is the replacement of the main varnish on one or two fingers. For example, if a pattern in blue and white is supposed, then on 3 fingers of the hand there will be blue dots on a white background, and on the two remaining fingers – on the contrary, white on blue.
- “Confetti”. This is a pattern of dots of different colors and sizes, partially overlapping each other.
Success will depend entirely on the right choice of pattern. Start with simple ornaments. For example, with one longitudinal line of dots, stars or “speckled” manicure. Having gained experience, it will be possible to do more complex painting.
Dots can draw an original pattern resembling multi-colored confetti. It will require a varnish for the base and several varnishes of harmonizing colors for bright points.
- To process nails, to give them the form and to polish. Apply a base coat and dry it.
- To apply a varnish basis in 1 or 2 layers. Dry well.
- To put on a palette a drop of varnish for a decor. First you need to take the color for the points that will overlap the rest.
- Carefully type the varnish on the dots and draw points of the desired size. Dry the layer.
- Apply a different color to the palette. Dot them and dry. The points of the second layer should be slightly less than the previous, and they should be slightly less in number. The first layer should be clearly visible.
- Repeat until all varnish colors have been used. For the first manicure, 2-3 colors will be enough to understand the principle of arranging peas. Then, with experience, you can expand the palette and create unthinkable patterns.
- It is good to dry all layers and cover with a top.
Dots for nail design (how to use to draw a flower, described below) can be used in drawing summer patterns.
Technique of the simplest option:
- put a large or medium sized dot on the nail plate – the middle;
- put 5 or 6 petal points around it.
Petals can be the same size as the middle, or slightly larger. If desired, you can stretch them, stretching the varnish from the center to the edge. This is done with a small dots or a toothpick. In this technique, you can draw lilies, daisies, or leaflets to decorate the composition.
The second option is a bit more complicated. Suitable for those who have already mastered the initial technique of drawing:
- put 5 petal points so that they overlap slightly;
- let dry;
- in contrasting color draw midpoints;
- to make the flowers look natural, draw curls – stems.
The third method is for those who have long been drawing dots on the nails and mastered the simple patterns perfectly:
- type black or any other dark varnish on the dotter of small diameter, which will draw the outline;
- draw a circle – the middle;
- draw the petals with curved lines;
- let the circuit dry;
- take medium or large dots and varnishes for painting;
- evenly fill the space inside the contours with the necessary colors;
- cover with a top.
Dots is very easy to make a jacket. This is even easier than using the classic method with strips for manicure. Two options will be described below step by step.
Option one – a smile from the dots:
- Coat the nail with varnish base in 1 or 2 layers, allow to dry.
- Type white polish on the middle dots and put the points in a line that exactly repeats the bend of the edge of the nail plate. A smile should recede from the edge of the nail by a distance approximately equal to the diameter of the point.
- Allow to dry, cover with top.
Option two – smile and dots:
- Cover the nail with the main color. To dry.
- A large dots draw a smile using white polish.
- Take the average dots. With white lacquer make a line of dots parallel to the smile.
- Allow to dry, cover with top.
French manicure can be combined with the lunar one, tracing not a smile, but a hole at the root of the nail plate.
How to make a French dots:
The most complex, but also the most beautiful painting is imitation of lace on nails. She is good and solo, and as an element of the overall composition. So, a lace pattern often distinguishes a smile or hole, or is applied to 1-2 nails, making a french on the other fingers.
There are 5 ways to depict the finest pattern:
- Brush or dot painting.
- Drawing with a needle.
- Transfer a pattern using a slider or sticker.
- Use real lace.
Step-by-step instructions on how to use the dots for lace nail design:
- Prepare a drawing outline in advance. The main elements are a mesh of rhombuses, pentagons and hexagons, semicircular scales, as well as an arbitrary shape of curls. Larger elements: zags, dots and semicircles. The center of the composition may be a rhombus, a drop or a circle. But drawing a large detail is not necessary, especially if a smile in French manicure is decorated with lace painting.
- To process nails, shape, polish, apply base and foundation. Allow to dry well.
- Patterns need to be applied from large to small. First, put the main emphasis on a large dots. Then with a smaller ball draw dots and curls. The finishing touch will be the creation of a grid or small dots with the thinnest dotter. Before drawing new elements, make sure that the previous ones are dry.
- Dry, top coat.
Most elegant looks lace made with acrylics. They hardly spread and allow you to perform the thinnest painting. Ordinary varnish is good for dot patterns, a mesh of rhombuses, various curls, lines and circles.
Below are a few more elements that are easy to draw with dots. By combining them, you can get original patterns.
- Heart. Using a large dotter, put two points at a small distance from each other. Then connect them with a small ball or a toothpick and pull them down slightly, making a corner.
- Comma. Put a large dot with a ball of large or medium diameter. Then make a tail with a thin tool.
- Point to point. Draw a pea of large diameter, allow to dry. In another color, put a smaller dot in its middle.
- Ring. Dotsom is easy to draw a circle. A combination is very interesting when such a ring is partially overlapped by an ordinary point.
Bow. For the picture you need a varnish of 2 harmonizing colors. To put two large peas at a short distance from each other with varnish of the first color. Between them draw 2 smaller points. With a thin dots or a toothpick, connect all 4 points and adjust the shape. When the picture dries, you can circle the bow along the contour with varnish of any contrasting color with a small dotter.
All of the above drawings can be depicted solo or in combination with each other. The possibilities of the dots are limited only by the fantasy of a fashionista.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
How to build gel nails with varnish. Nail extension instruction for beginners. Photo.
How to replace the tool at home
You can pick up an alternative to dotter from household items. It can be any item with a small rounded tip: a toothpick, cotton swab, needle, pin eye, match, knitting needle or crochet hook, hairpin, ballpoint pen in which ink ended.
An effective and inexpensive tool is dots, which is convenient to use at home to create an original nail design. Although it can be replaced with improvised means, with a dotter, patterns are obtained more accurately.
It’s better to start painting on nails with a simple dot manicure, gradually moving to more complex compositions – geometric patterns, flowers or lace.
Video on the topic: how to use dots for nail design
How to use dots in nail design:
Spectacular and quick nail polish design with dots: