The nasal septum is a combination of cartilage and connective tissue that separates the nasal passages. When the nasal septum is curved, difficulties with breathing appear, the nose becomes stuffy. Treatment is possible without surgery with timely access to ENT and diagnosis.
- Reasons for violation
- Symptoms of bent septum
- Types of pathology
- Bending symptoms
- The impact of pathology on health
- Diagnostic Methods
- Non-surgical treatment methods
- Popular methods of correcting the septum
- Alternative Medicine
- Laser correction and prices in American clinics
- Respiratory Technique
- Reviews of doctors and patients on the effectiveness of non-surgical methods
- Video on the topic: Curvature of the nasal septum
Reasons for violation
The causes of pathology are divided into:
- physiological (hereditary deformities or inconsistent growth of the cranium, especially characteristic of adolescence);
- traumatic (facial injuries, cartilage displacement after a strong blow, fractures);
- compensatory (pathology arises as a result of other neoplasms in the nasal cavity, polyps and tumors);
- viral (curvature due to disease, acute respiratory viral infections, influenza, otitis media, sinusitis).
Symptoms of bent septum
There are a number of signs that provoke shortness of breath and talk about pathology:
- junction of the wings of the nose to the septum. For this reason, oxygen intake is impeded;
- reduction of stroke at an angle of concavity of the partition. Compensation occurs by increasing the nasal passages and provokes shortness of breath;
- reduced stroke at a convex angle. The sinuses of one of the nostrils are reduced so that breathing is impossible;
- violation of the movement of air from the inside of the sinuses. In pathology, oxygen flows from the upper and middle strokes to the lower are difficult;
- irritation of the nasal mucosa. In pathology, oxygen intake provokes circulation and irritation of the receptors, swelling appears and mucus is separated.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Types of pathology
- deformation of the septum;
- manifestation of 2 types of pathology.
The first type is divided into:
- vertical or horizontal deformation;
- in front or back of the septum;
- with deformation of adjacent tissues (ethmoid bone, vomer);
- deformation of the dividing cartilage.
Curvature of the nasal septum (treatment without surgery of which is possible at the initial stage) can be detected by some signs:
- decreased breathing. There are several levels of manifestation – from insignificant to the inability to breathe through the nose. However, with pathology, this symptom may not appear if the nasal exceeds the standard size;
- headaches. Exist with frequent irritation of nerve endings;
- fatigue, fatigue, reduced ability to concentrate;
- frequent viral diseases with the same symptoms;
- distraction, depressive states;
- a feeling of dryness and burning in the nose, unpleasant feelings during breathing;
- earaches, hearing impairment;
- weak memory, carelessness;
- a traumatic type of pathology is characterized by a change in the shape of the nose;
The impact of pathology on health
The curved septum has an effect on the vital activity and work of some organs and systems:
- due to impaired breathing and oxygen, the patient has headaches, migraines. With untimely treatment, pain can intensify, drowsiness appears, decreased performance, fatigue;
- physical activity also becomes problematic due to respiratory disorders;
- with pathology resulting from a previous illness or the formation of polyps, a deterioration in sleep quality is characteristic. A patient who is unable to establish a sleep regimen experiences constant irritation, inattention, distraction, the development of neurosis and depressive states;
- worsening of smell, loss of appetite;
- cerebrovascular accident, which sometimes ends in death;
- dynamics of the inflammatory process in the middle ear, slight or complete hearing loss.
Diagnosis of curvature is performed by an ENT doctor and includes the following methods:
- visual inspection. This method involves examining the nose for deformation, testing the ability of each nostril to breathe separately;
- front rhinoscopy. With the help of a metal object – a nasal dilator – the doctor alternately inserts a probe into each nostril for a detailed study of various formations;
- X-ray of the skull. The method allows to identify the deformation resulting from physical injury;
- electron tomography. It facilitates the recognition of pathologies that are not visible with the standard procedure;
- back rhinoscopy. The study of pathology at an angle of the nasopharynx;
- research by an endoscope. A probe with a camera is placed in the nose and moves deeper into the organ. The person is under local pain medication.
Non-surgical treatment methods
Treatment of curvature of the nasal septum without surgery involves the use of the following methods:
- washing (a solution of salt and water, pharmaceuticals, iodized solutions are used);
- the use of sprays;
- vasoconstrictor drugs;
- antibiotics to block infection.
In addition to drugs, physical actions on the damage area are used to exclude pathology:
- osteopathy. Light massage of the bone cartilage of the facial area;
- nose pad. This is a plastic clip in the shape of a butterfly and silicone wings, which is attached to the nose for a couple of hours a day. It affects the cartilage base, aligning it;
- conservative treatment. It is recommended if the curvature is provoked by viral diseases, edema or polyps. After eliminating the cause, the septum returns to its original state.
These funds do not eliminate the cause of the pathology, they contribute to the normal functioning of the systems.
Curvature of the nasal septum, treatment without which is often effective, can be completely removed surgically. For this purpose, a procedure is used – septoplasty.
Indications for the procedure:
- inability to breathe one or more nostrils;
- exposure to the nasal mucosa;
- visible defects (noticeable curvature, hump).
- pregnancy, lactation;
- old age, due to the risk of complications;
- diseases of the cardiovascular;
- the presence of malignant tumors;
- poor health
- mental disorders.
Preparation for the procedure includes:
- delivery of a standard analysis package;
- quitting smoking and alcohol;
- the exclusion of other infections in the body (protection against hypothermia).
A local anesthetic is applied immediately before the procedure. The patient is placed on the table, dissected and separated from the septum, the mucous membrane of the nostrils, plastic surgery is performed, then sutures are applied.
During the day it is necessary to wear a swab with a hemostatic solution.
After 4 days, the respiratory function returns completely, but should be observed by the surgeon for a month, to exclude pain and complications.
- the onset of the inflammatory process;
In addition to classical septoplasty, there are such types as:
The difference from classical septoplasty is that an incision is made in the sinuses, through which the deformed sections of the bone and cartilage are removed;
It is considered the most modern and painless method, the procedure takes about 20 minutes and rehabilitation is completed faster.
- radio wave.
It is carried out using a video endoscope and Surgitron apparatus, curved sections of cartilage are removed while maintaining the integrity of the septum. The procedure lasts an hour, after which it is recommended to spend 72 hours in a hospital.
The method is used for easy deformation. Ultrasound of high power acts on the spongy substance of the septum and it straightens. The recovery period is short.
Popular methods of correcting the septum
Many methods of eliminating deformation are chosen by many, due to their availability. They include:
- reception of herbal infusions. They will help to eliminate the symptoms of pathology, decoctions of chamomile with mint, calendula are used;
- massage . For treatment, an ointment based on propolis will be required. It must be applied to the cheeks, in moderate proximity to the nose and massaged in a circular motion. Massage helps relieve swelling and congestion;
- external lotions. For the procedure, you need to add 2 drops of oil (fir or eucalyptus) to the water and moisten a cotton pad. A lotion is applied to the nose for 12 minutes;
- rinsing. It is done with a solution of salt with water (add a pinch in a glass in advance and insist), which must be inhaled alternately with each nasal passage and exhaled through the nasopharynx.
Treating nasal septum curvature can be beneficial without surgery. Alternative medicine is inexpensive and their use does not take much time.
If the pathology is not traumatic, but arises as a result of the development of the viral process, then home solutions will help relieve swelling and improve breathing:
- garlic and onion. The juice of these products should be mixed in water in a ratio of 1: 5. Without water, the solution is not recommended, since in its pure form it irritates the nasal mucosa;
- beetroot. Juice in its pure form must be instilled into the nasal passage up to 6 times a day. Due to the high content of vitamin C, juice provokes the body’s immune response and eliminates viral processes;
- honey. The tool helps to restore the nasal mucosa. In the absence of an allergy to honey, it should be mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 2 and applied up to 3 times a day (frequent use in the absence of contraindications is possible).
In addition to solutions, ointments and compresses are very popular:
- ? part of the aloe leaf must be wrapped in gauze and applied alternately to each nostril that has been previously cleaned.
- camphor oil must usd the sinuses from the inside;
- a compress of black radish and honey – the root crop should be cleaned and grated, mixed with honey in equal proportions, wrapped in gauze. Compress in each nostril for 15 minutes.
Laser correction and prices in American clinics
Laser septoplasty is a modern method of treating curvature.
- minimal blood loss;
- lack of tissue trauma;
- the laser is an antiseptic;
- reduced risk of complications.
Prices for laser correction in New York clinics range from $ 258 – $ 1333:
|MC them. Svyatoslav Fedorov||$ 258|
|Family Medical Center||$ 734|
|Perinatal Medical Center||$ 1333|
|Central Design Bureau of Civil Aviation||$ 272|
|Kremlin Clinic||$ 653|
|GVKG them. Academici
an N. N. Burdenko
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Curvature of the nasal septum, treatment without the operation of which involves many techniques, is successfully corrected using breathing exercises. They should be carried out on, or in a well-ventilated area. With significant curvature and shortness of breath, it is recommended to use vasoconstrictor drugs before exercise.
- it is necessary to take a deep breath through the nose;
- the air flow should not reach the larynx. The chest does not increase in volume;
- then you should stop breathing for a few seconds and exhale through the nose;
- preparation takes about 3 minutes.
- Palms. Execution can be done standing or sitting. You need to lower your arms along the line of the body, palms looking forward. On inspiration, it is necessary to sharply clench your fists, inhale air simultaneously through the mouth and nose. When you exhale, open your fists. Perform 5-6 times;
- Shoulder straps. Standing up, arms clasped to the waist, back straight. Inhaling noisily with your nose, you must sharply clench your fists. When exhaling, unclench, strongly straightening your fingers. Perform 8 times, 12 sets;
- Pump. Legs must be put together, face forward, straighten back. When inhaling, the body bends forward, rounding the back, when exhaling, return to its original position;
- Eight. Standing, the legs are located across the width of the shoulders. When inhaling, bend forward as far as possible and stop breathing for 5 seconds, when exhaling, return to its original position;
- Clock. The exercise is that when inhaling, you need to bend forward, and when you exhale – back, imitating the movement of the pendulum;
- Vacuum. It is necessary to bend a little forward, place your hands on your hips. In this position, inhale fully through the nose and exhale sharply, while drawing in the stomach. Hold in this position should be for 15 seconds. Repeat 10 times;
- Girth. The technique is performed standing or sitting, but the back must be straightened. Raise your arms to your shoulders and, when inhaling, point towards each other, imitating a hug. When exhaling, dilute as much as possible to the sides.
Reviews of doctors and patients on the effectiveness of non-surgical methods
According to the opinion of most reputable doctors, the most productive methods of non-surgical treatment are:
- conservative treatment. With this technique, treatment is not aimed at alleviating the patient’s condition, but at eliminating the main cause of the pathology. As a result of a successfully selected technique, the cartilage returns to its original state. This method is applicable if the curvature is provoked by swelling in the nose and the appearance of polyps or neoplasms;
- massage. The technique has proven itself in correcting the septum, since the effect of movement is achieved by smooth massage movements and people notice an improvement in health and well-being;
- nose pad. This plastic object is able to fix the deformed septum in the correct position and normalize breathing. Also applicable in case of deformation due to impact;
- osteopathy. Along with massage helps to restore the position of the septum.
Some of the ineffective methods are:
- lotions, baths, nose rinses. These methods of non-surgical treatment are applicable to ensure the normal functioning of the patient, by eliminating the symptoms. But they cannot cure the very cause of the curvature;
- breathing techniques. They contribute to the normalization of respiratory function, facilitate air circulation, eliminate snoring and breathing problems. The partition is in a deformed state.
Even if there is a curvature of the nasal septum, you should not despair and turn to surgery. Today, in the absence of severe defects, treatment is possible without surgery. Having examined the causes of deformation and the severity, you can choose a treatment and eliminate the symptoms.
Video on the topic: Curvature of the nasal septum
Elena Malysheva will talk about the curvature of the nasal septum: