Versatility, style, variety of the cascade – all this captivates fashionistas. This haircut can be done on long, short, medium hair. If you look at the photo on the Internet, you can see that thanks to the cascade an additional volume is created, the hair looks more magnificent, lighter.
The plus is that it suits almost everyone, regardless of the type and length of hair. But still, the most common haircut is a cascade of medium hair.
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Who suits the cascade for medium hair
- Who does not fit the haircut
- How to work – with scissors or a razor
- Haircuts and patterns: in stages
- Thinning technique
- Cascade with oblique bangs
- Straight bang
- Haircut without bangs
- Highlight Cascade
- Ombre Cascade
- Hairstyles for the cascade
- Styling features
- For round face
- For a square face
- For oval face
- For curly hair
- For thin hair
- Cascade care
- Photo: front and rear view
- Video: haircuts cascade on medium hair
Advantages and disadvantages
The cascade helps to hide the imperfections of the face, to correct the oval – for example, too large cheekbones, cheeks. For those women, whom nature has not endowed with lush, thick hair, this haircut is a great way to revitalize your hair.
Also, the cascade is suitable for women after 40 years – the hair rejuvenates, locks hide the imperfections of the face, and airiness makes the whole image easier, freer. Haircuts are recommended for split ends of hair.
When choosing a hairstyle, the weight of the hair matters. If a woman has very heavy strands, a cascade would not be a good option. Hair will not get the right volume and lightness, but will hang down in straight strands.
You should be careful and owners of very curly locks. This distinctive feature of hair requires a carefully thought-out cascading haircut. In this case, an appeal to a competent master will help.
Who suits the cascade for medium hair
The hairstyle is suitable for those girls and women who have naturally straight, wavy, curly hair. It does not matter – thin strands or coarser.
The cascade is ideal for owners of a round, oval, rectangular face. The oval face is considered the most universal, any hairstyle looks beautiful with it. When round or rectangular – such a haircut helps to make the face more elongated, proportional, to hide too large cheeks, sharp cheekbones.
Do not miss the most popular article in the heading:
Fashionable hair colors in 2021. Photos and trends.
Who does not fit the haircut
A haircut cascade on medium hair is not suitable for those who have too heavy curls. In the cascade, the strands should be light, airy, otherwise even though the strands are cut in layers, they look lifeless, sag under their own weight (you can see examples of such hairstyles by looking at the photo).
How to work – with scissors or a razor
Specialists use both options. Scissor haircuts are more familiar.
With this option, it is important to consider several points:
- good quality tool;
- the hair should be a little wet;
- in addition to conventional scissors, cascading also uses thinning (to shape the ends of the hair).
Cutting with a blade should also be done only with a high-quality tool (sharp) , the strands must be moistened (so that the upper layer of the hair does not exfoliate). The correct use of the blade and scissors makes it possible to make a beautiful haircut, in which the hair will keep its shape for a long time, to avoid split ends.
Haircuts and patterns: in stages
A haircut cascade on medium hair (a photo of each option can be seen below) exists in all the variety of manifestations: with and without bangs, ragged, graded, double, elongated. Cascade is a type of step haircuts. Each layer (step) should stand out clearly.
The classic version of the hairstyle starts from the neck, but today other varieties of the cascade are also popular – for example, the hair is cut very short at the top, and then the cascade itself begins.
Shearing is performed in two ways:
- The control strand is taken at the back of the head: then all the hair is divided into levels. Next, each strand is applied to the main one and cut to the desired level. Hairstyle is done from the back of the head to the crown and forehead.
- The main strand is taken already at the crown, cut to the desired level – mainly to the nose. All other hair is divided into strands and, in turn, each of them is pulled to the face and trimmed (focusing on the main one).
Before performing a haircut of the cascade on medium hair, you should learn to do thinning. Thinning refers to thinning strands. It is performed to give hair lightness, volume, smoothness.
Thinning is carried out at the end of the haircut – as the final stage. You can mash strands along the entire length or just the tips . A few photos of examples of this procedure can be seen in the article.
With a cascade, thinning is desirable, thanks to it:
- haircut looks more easy and natural;
- transitions between levels go smoothly;
- volume is created at the root zone;
- emphasizes the sharpness and clarity of the lines with a torn cascade.
For milling, special scissors or a razor are used. Scissors are used when cutting on dry and slightly damp strands, a razor – on wet hair. During the procedure with scissors, the strand is compressed, and the tool glides smoothly from top to bottom.
As a result, the hair is cut off (at different lengths). The procedure is repeated 2-3 times. If only the lower part of the hair is milled, a larger volume is created at the basal zone of the head. Also, the procedure of milling the roots is carried out (the strands are thinned across – at the very top, in the middle of the head and at the bottom).
Filtration is performed on wet and dry strands (depending on the desired result).
It is not recommended to carry out the procedure if the hair is naturally oily or dry.
You can’t get too carried away by filing for those with thin curls – you can achieve the opposite effect – there will be no volume. With curly and wavy strands, milling helps to make smoother and more accurate lines.
Cascade with oblique bangs
A haircut with bangs gives the image a completely new look. Oblique fringe is one of the most fashionable and stylish images. It fits perfectly into the overall haircut scheme, combined with transitions and layers of the cascade.
Oblique bangs can:
- align at the level of the forehead;
- comb to the side;
- split in the center on the sides (like two oblique side locks).
For those with a small face or fine features, small or torn oblique bangs are suitable. Such a hairstyle will help chubby women visually lengthen the oval of the face. An interesting option is a smooth transition of the oblique bangs to a haircut (for example, on one side).
For those who have thick straight hair, oblique bangs are also recommended – while it can be clearly cut, with clear edges – this will only emphasize the beauty of the hair and lines of the face, draw attention to the eyes.
With a triangular face, with a large forehead, you can pay attention to the sharp oblique bangs, when the smallest strands do not reach the eyebrow, and the longest ones completely cover it or even come to your eyes (dropping to the level of the cheekbones).
Straight bangs will suit those with an oval, elongated face. Thick long bangs will make the face more round, focuses on the eyes, hide imperfections (for example, wrinkles on the forehead).
For owners of straight thick hair, styling such a bang does not take much time – just a hairdryer and a little mousse are enough. For those who have wavy or naughty locks, a straight bang is not the best option. A more provocative option – torn – gives the image an audacity, an eccentricity.
Haircut without bangs
For girls with an elongated face, a cascade without bangs is suitable. This hairstyle slightly expands the face, makes it softer, rounder. Haircuts can be of any length, with the shortest strands starting at the cheekbones or below.
With an asymmetric haircut of the cascade on medium-length hair, strands on both sides of the face of different heights. At the back, the hair is cut as in a classic cascade. One of the varieties is a haircut, in which the strands on the back of the head or crown are cut short enough, and the lower ones are left as they are (this is clearly visible in the photo).
This type of cascade is most suitable for young people. With its help, a perky, bold, “hooligan” image is created. Although recently, an asymmetric haircut can be found on adult women.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
A graduated cascade is created from several layers. The shortest part is on the top of the head. As a result of a smooth transition of the strands, a magnificent hairstyle (cap) is obtained. This look looks advantageous on thin hair.
- Decide on the length of the hair.
- Secure the bangs with clamps (if any).
- Select a control strand on the crown of the head and cut it to the desired length.
- Next, divide the hair into separate strands and, in turn, raise each of them to the main strand and cut their length.
- When cutting, the strands are aligned vertically.
- At the end of the hairstyle, hair near the face and temples is cut with a ladder.
- The last step is to align the bangs and milling all the strands at each level. This is done in order to make the slices more accurate, easier.
This type of cascade is more romantic, delicate. The hair on the crown does not cut, and the shortest strand begins on the back of the head, in the middle of the head. It looks beautiful both without a bang, and with an oblique ragged or just a long bang. The elongated cascade does not require special styling, it is enough just to give the shape of a round clear hairstyle. This is a good option for wavy or curly hair.
It combines the elements of a square and a longer haircut. The double cascade is done in several ways.
For the first method:
- it is necessary to highlight the main strand on the verge of the occiput and the parietal zone of the head;
- determine the desired length of the strand;
- divide the hair on the back of the head into several strands and comb each of them onto the main one (while holding the strands horizontally).
End the double cascade with hair cutting from the sides of the head and the crown of the head.
For the second method:
- Work on a haircut begins as in the first method.
- A cap is created on the top of the head (to the ears) as a Bob haircut.
- The lower part of the haircut remains the same.
Almost always with this type of cascade, bangs are made (elongated).
This variety is suitable for heavy thick strands. With this technique, a very clear, even and sharp cut is obtained.
- moisturize your hair;
- make a control strand on the top of the head;
- the hair on the back of the head is cut so that a torn line is obtained;
- while the main length of the hair is preserved (the ends are equal);
- shorter locks are made on the face;
- bangs need to be cut in the same way as the hair on the crown;
- at the end, the hair rises at the roots (to create additional volume).
A daring version of a ragged cascade is uneven strands, a random cut, a big difference in the length of the strands. It can be with a scythe, uneven, long, short bangs or without it, with long locks on the back of the head and short on the top of the head and temples.
A haircut on medium hair is one of those that goes well with highlighting (photos of hairstyles with highlighting show the possibilities of color combination). The play of color on the hair further emphasizes the structure of the cascade, the smoothness or sharpness of the lines.
Cascading haircut looks good on hair of any length, structure. Among all the variety of colors, a haircut goes well with chestnut, honey, ligh
t brown, ashy, sand, wheat. Preference is given to warm tones, but this does not mean that owners of curls of a different color will have to forget about such a hairstyle.
Before deciding on highlighting, you should think carefully about what color or shade of the strands you would like to receive as a result. In this case, you need to consider the kind of cascade. When highlighting, the emphasis is on a sharp transition of colors (usually two are used). You can color individual strands, only the tips or transition lines of the layers of the hairstyle.
Today, such varieties of procedure are popular:
- Coloring – several strands stand out in the hairstyle, which are painted in bright colors. It is longitudinal, transverse, with transitions, zonal (for example, in the temple area).
- 3D effect – not two shades of paint are taken, but 3 or 4 (compatible with each other); locks are colored randomly, in any order.
- Stencil – a pattern is created on curls using stencils.
The combination of dark (usually brown) and light shades on the hair did not bypass the cascade. This color transition perfectly emphasizes the structure of the cascade haircut, the smoothness of the lines.
Ombre is suitable for owners of wavy and curly hair. On women with thin and damaged strands, this staining does not look (the ombre will look messy, hard), but for girls with thick curls of medium length or long ombre it fits perfectly.
With ombre, the upper part of the strands is painted in dark color, and the lower – in light. For dark shades, red, copper, chestnut, golden tones are used. For light – blond, wheat, ashy, light brown.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Hairstyles for the cascade
Cascade is not only a fashionable option, it is also easy to install. This haircut provides many opportunities for experimentation and helps to hide facial imperfections.
When creating any hairstyle based on a cascade, you must adhere to two basic principles:
- carefully fix the tips of the strands;
- try to give and maintain the necessary amount of hair.
A variety of hairstyles for medium hair based on a cascade help to create interesting images for every day, evening, for a festive event. A large number of photos of haircut examples are presented below.
To make a daily hairstyle based on a cascade on medium hair, you need:
- Wash and dry hair. If you blow dry, you should tilt your head down and dry the strands from root to tip.
- Apply a little gel, wax or mousse to the ends of the curls. Thanks to this, the structure of the haircut will be visible, the transition from one level to another.
- Achieve extra volume at the hair roots with a hairdryer.
The most popular cascading hairstyles include:
- The effect of a little disheveled:
- Foam is applied to slightly wet strands (more at the roots).
- The hair is dried by a hairdryer (the longest strands are curled inward, and short ones – up).
- If necessary, the hair at the roots is combed a little.
- With parting – a hairstyle is of two types – with a straight or oblique parting. The tips of the strands are slightly wrapped inward.
- Washed hair is dried with a hairdryer.
- Then a thermal protective agent is applied, and the strands are aligned with an iron.
- Playful look:
- Strands are combed at the roots.
- A modeling agent is applied to the ends and all the strands are twisted outward.
- Curling – you can twist curls along the entire length, starting from the middle, only the ends of the hair.
Create an evening hairstyle like this:
- First, wash and dry your hair.
- On clean strands along the entire length, a little modeling agent is applied (it is better to apply it on slightly damp hair).
- Then they take curlers, divide the hair into small locks and wind it.
- The wound strands are dried with a hairdryer and carefully untangled.
- The hairstyle is ready – with your fingers you can simulate the image a little (slightly beat up the curls to give lightness and volume at the roots) and fix with varnish.
- The bangs are slightly twisted with a curling iron, a hairdryer.
To complement the image, decorate the hairstyle with a small accessory (for example, a hairpin). If there is a bang, then it is also slightly wound or laid with the help of mousse, made straight and beveled, smoothly turning into the haircut itself.
With thin hair, to add more volume, make a small pile near the forehead. In this case, the curls are fastened with an elastic band or a hairpin at the back, the tail is made.
The main conditions are beautiful tips, preservation and emphasis of the haircut structure. But there are some principles in creating hairstyles for medium hair. They are connected by the shape of the face. A correctly made haircut helps to hide and correct facial imperfections (too big forehead, massive chin, round puffy cheeks, large cheekbones).
For round face
With this face shape, a torn cascade is most suitable.
It can be with or without oblique bangs. When doing a hairstyle, you need to pay attention to the tips of the strands, highlighting the transition between them along the entire length. This will help to hide too large cheeks and a small neck.
For a square face
To make the lines of such a face – with a heavy chin and rough cheekbones – softer will help a cascade with slightly wavy strands. When choosing a bang, it is better to stay on an oblique or asymmetric one – it will give smoothness, lightness to the shape of the face.
When styling, a small amount of mousse, gel or varnish should be used so as not to create the effect of heavy hair. It will be enough just to emphasize the tips of the strands.
For oval face
This type of face is considered the most universal. Almost any kind of cascade and bangs are suitable for it. But you need to focus on what hair is thick or thin, wavy or straight.
If the curls are heavy and thick, then it is better to opt for a slanting, ragged bangs, cascade with carefully profiled tips and clear transitions. You can experiment with a parting – in the middle of the head or on the side.
For curly hair
On curly curls, the cascade always looks very interesting and fashionable. Curly locks do not require strong milling and sharp transitions. Enough light stairs. If the strands are heavy, a cascade will help to lighten the hair, give it lightness and airiness. Bangs on curly hair are not always appropriate, you can stop at a shorter ladder near the face (at the level of the nose or ears).
For thin hair
This haircut is perfect for thin hair. A large number of transitions, layers makes thin curls more voluminous, lush. Milling strands along the entire length or just the ends gives thin hair even more airiness and layering. Different types of highlighting also look advantageous. A smooth transition of color along the entire length of the hair creates the effect of thicker, more luxurious strands.
When laying hairstyles on thin hair, you need to pay more attention to giving volume to the roots: wash curls, tilt your head down and blow-dry from roots to ends.
A little gel should be applied to the ends of the strands and the curls should be wrapped up or in. It is better to use for styling irons (to align the strands and give greater clarity to the haircut) or a round brush (for twisting the ends).
This haircut is unpretentious and following a few simple rules will allow for a long time to maintain the freshness and style of the hairstyle.
It is necessary:
- monitor the cleanliness of hair – with greasy and untidy strands, the cascade loses its shape, looks sluggish and ugly;
- from styling products choose a mousse or hair dryer with hot air (frequent and abundant use of varnish will destroy the structure of the hair, make it too heavy);
- Use a round brush for combing and styling.
Photo: front and rear view
For a long time and firmly taking its place among fashionable and stylish hairstyles, a haircut cascade for medium-long hair does not lose popularity, it is often found in the photo.
Ease of styling and a variety of hairstyle options, interesting texture, combination with bangs, the ability to correct facial imperfections – all these are the advantages of the cascade. Different types of highlighting and ombre will make the cascade even more original.
Video: haircuts cascade on medium hair
Master Class. Cascade for medium and long hair:
How to cut a cascade on medium hair. Video lesson: