The pull of the upper block to the belt or chest in the gym is permissible to perform in accordance with various techniques, based on the result that a person wants to achieve from training. In the program for women, fitness trainers include this exercise, which implies the location of the hands in both narrow and wide grip.
This setting of the limbs provides a uniform study of the muscles of the upper body with minimal impact on the spine and joints.
- Thrust of the upper (vertical) block to the chest, back. What muscles are involved
- How to perform wide grip exercise for girls
- To chest
- On the back
- Narrow grip technique for women
- To chest
- On the back
- Parallel grip
- Reverse grip and thrust to the chest
- Direct grip on the head
- Possible mistakes
- How much exercise do you need, how often
- Tips and Features
- What is better for pumping backs for girls pull-ups or traction of the upper block
- Video on the topic: Technique for performing the exercise “Thrust of the upper block with a narrow grip”
Thrust of the upper (vertical) block to the chest, back. What muscles are involved
The pull of the upper block with a narrow grip to the chest is used for effective pumping:
- latissimus dorsi (located in the upper back on the sides and in the of the lower back);
- the large round muscle (the uppermost portion of the lateral surface of the dorsal muscles in the armpits);
- trapezius muscle (upper and middle areas of the upper back);
- rhomboid muscle (located under the trapezius muscle);
- pectoralis major muscle (upper sternum);
- pectoral muscle (localized under the pectoralis major muscle).
An option to perform this exercise is to pull the movable block from above in the simulator behind the head.
It is included in the complex to increase strength and relief:
- latissimus dorsi;
- big round muscle;
- trapezius muscles;
- rhomboid muscles;
- muscle – extensors of the spinal column (localized on both sides of the spine along its entire length);
- deltoid muscles, in particular their posterior surface (located behind the shoulder joint);
- biceps (upper arm, closer to the shoulder);
- brachial muscles (around the shoulder joint);
- brachioradial muscles (originates above the elbow and extends to the middle of the forearm).
How to perform wide grip exercise for girls
If the goal of the girl’s training is to increase the terrain of the torso and give volume to the dorsal muscles, the gym instructor includes in her training program traction of the upper block with a wide arm position on the bar.
In order to avoid stretching the muscles of the hands or injuring the spine, it is recommended that the athlete strictly follow the generally accepted algorithm when pulling the movable block from the top to the chest.
The algorithm of the exercise:
- Fix the curved bar in the simulator for vertical traction.
- Set the working weight in the simulator.
- Arrange your hands on the neck, with your fingers turned away from you, so that the hands are in the places where the sports equipment bends.
- Take a sitting position, controlling that the deflection in the lower back is minimal.
- Without changing the direct position of the case, slightly bring it back. Fix the legs under the soft rollers located near the front of the structure. The head should also be tilted behind the body.
- On the exhale, pull the bar to the chest, without changing the position of the body. At the moment of changing the position of the moving part of the simulator, only the muscles of the upper part of the torso, the so-called “wings”, should be involved.
- Lock position for 3 sec.
- Slowly, taking a deep breath, return the bar to its original position.
During the exercise, it is important that the body is slightly retracted. Otherwise, the muscles for which vertical thrust is directed will not be fully utilized, which will significantly reduce the effectiveness of the training.
On the back
The pull of the upper block with a narrow grip to the back will not give the girl the opportunity to fully pump the sternum muscles and dynamic stabilizers. These areas can be transformed only if the traction of the movable block to the back is performed correctly from above with a wide setting of arms.
The algorithm of the exercise:
- Fix a straight classic bar on the end of the movable cable for vertical traction. Adjust the height of the foot clips. Set the working weight.
- Take a sitting position, facing the movable blocks of a metal structure. Clasp the bar with your hands so that the brushes are in areas of its lateral folds. Fingers should be turned away from you. To fix legs under clamping rollers.
- Lower your shoulders, bend your back slightly in the lumbar spine. Maximize tension of the abdominal muscles and do not relax until the end of the approach.
- The upper part of the body should be slightly extended forward so that the hands freely extend behind the head.
- At the same time as you exhale, pull the bar toward you towards the back of your shoulders.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades and touch the neck of the midpoint of the back of the neck.
- Lock position for 5 sec.
- Inhaling deeply, stretch the upper limbs as slowly as possible, returning to the original position.
When pulling the upper block with a wide grip on the back, do not use large working weights. This can cause strain or injury to the deltoid muscles.
Narrow grip technique for women
The pull of the upper block with a narrow grip to the chest or to the back is used by girls in the training program only if there is a need to work out the deep sternum muscles.
During the execution of vertical thrust with a narrow grip on the chest, the spinal and pectoral muscles, as well as the biceps, are mainly involved. Subject to the exercise technique, for the development of the endurance of these zones with the help of the load, it will be sufficient to regularly do no more than 15 repetitions with a minimum weight.
Technique of execution:
- Set the height of the soft clips and select the working weight for further work in the simulator.
- Fix a straight bar on the end of the movable cable of a metal structure. For the convenience of determining the distance necessary for the formation of a narrow grip, it is permissible to use a short neck.
- Take a sitting position, fix your legs under the soft rollers, rest your feet on the floor.
- Stretch your arms up and grab the bar with the hands so that the distance between them does not exceed 3’9 – 4’7 inch. The back of the palms should be turned towards you.
- Lower the shoulders down, and then slightly reduce the shoulder blades.
- Form a deflection in the lumbar spine. The case must be located strictly upright.
- As you exhale, pull the bar toward you. Touch them on the upper chest.
- Fix the position for 5-7 seconds.
- Slowly straighten your arms, returning the bar to its original position.
- Repeat the exercise as many times as necessary without stopping at the original position.
On the back
The pull of the upper block with a narrow grip to the back will allow you to form a V-shaped silhouette, improve posture and increa
se overall muscular endurance.
Technique of execution:
- Set the working weight in the simulator. Adjust the height of the soft cushions that fix the legs.
- Attach a straight neck, standard length or shortened, to the hook at the end of the cable.
- Take a sitting position on the support bench, while sitting strictly under the cable. Ensure that the ankles are perpendicular to the floor.
- Extend your arms to the bar. Fix the brushes on the handle, observing the distance between them no more than 3’9 – 4’7 inch. The fingers must be turned towards you. Make sure that the back is as straight as possible, and the press is in static tension until the end of the approach.
- As you exhale, pull the bar toward you, leading him by the head.
- Flatten the shoulder blades. Touch the handle of the middle part of the back of the head.
- Lock position for 5 sec.
- As slowly as possible, at the same time as inhaling, return to the original position by straightening the upper limbs at the elbows.
It is important to keep the muscles of the shoulder girdle in tension while the arms are in the upper position. This can cause the athlete to receive injuries to the joints and bones.
The thrust of the upper block using the neck for parallel setting of the brushes is aimed at increasing the strength and relief:
- latissimus dorsi;
- rear deltas;
To increase the load from exercises, fitness trainers recommend that girls bend slightly in the thoracic spine when the bar is in the lower position, and when moving the handle upward, slightly forward the straight body.
The vertical thrust parallel grip algorithm is as similar as possible to the technique of the classical version of the exercise (upper thrust to the chest or stomach). The only difference is the position of the hands on the neck. In this case, the brushes should be placed on the handles of the curved neck, turning them with the back sides to each other.
When moving the upper limbs to the lower position, the elbows should be directed strictly down. Breeding them to the sides will lead to a shift in the load and reduce the effectiveness of the training.
Reverse grip and thrust to the chest
The pull of the upper block in the simulator with a narrow grip to the chest or abdomen can be performed with the reverse or direct arrangement of the hands. If necessary, put the hands back grip, the athlete should deploy the back of the palms to her, and then clench her hands into fists, clutching the bar.
This type of load on the upper body is used for careful study:
- the broadest muscles;
- round muscles;
- rhomboid muscles;
- deltoid muscles;
- pectoral muscles;
To achieve maximum efficiency from performing a craving for the chest with a back grip, it is important to follow the main recommendations of the trainers:
- avoid pressing the chin to the chest (the only way the girl will be able to control the position of her back);
- maximally reduce the shoulder blades when the neck is in its lower position;
- when returning the hands to their original position, it is necessary to fully straighten them at the elbow (otherwise the muscles will “clog” and the amplitude of limb movement will contract).
Direct grip on the head
Vertical traction with a direct grip is considered a classic version of the exercise. It allows you to load the broadest muscles and central muscles of the back of the girl.
To take the bar with a direct grip, you should open your palms with the outer side facing you and squeeze your hands into fists, while clutching the moving handle of the simulator. Hands should be placed apart from each other at a distance equal to the width of the shoulders.
Regular vertical head pulls will help the athlete:
- increase overall power indicators;
- improve posture;
- to form a V-shaped silhouette of the upper body;
- make the back and shoulders embossed;
- achieve a decrease in waist volume.
During classes in a block simulator, using a direct grip, it is important for a girl to ensure that the efforts exerted by her to move the neck are carried out by the back muscles, and not by movements of the body or only by hands. Also, fitness trainers do not recommend jerking. With this technique, the risk of injury increases to the maximum.
To minimize the risk of injury during vertical traction in the simulator, the athlete is advised to avoid the most common mistakes.
|Possible error||Consequences of its implementation|
|Excessive movement of the housing forward or backward.||
|Excessively large distance between the brushes with a wide grip.||
|Insufficient reduction of the shoulder blades when the hands are at the lowest point.||
|Inadequate fixation of the legs with soft rollers||
|Ignoring the “bear grip” (thumb at the bottom of the neck, the remaining 4 at the top).||Displacement of the load on the carpal muscles.|
How much exercise do you need, how often
Vertical traction is not recommended for girls in every workout in the gym. The optimal frequency of work with the block simulator is considered 2 times a week, subject to the athlete’s minimum number of weekly classes (at least 3 times).
For one training day, 2 to 4 approaches of the upper thrust of a different grip should be performed (the type of loads is determined by the main goals of a particular girl’s activities) with 10-15 repetitions, within each of them.
The insufficient frequency of including vertical thrust in the training program will lead to uneven development of the muscle corset (the lower part will become more prominent and stronger than the upper).
This load shift will provoke a change in the girl’s appearance for the worse, making her hips, legs and buttocks heavy and voluminous compared to her arms, chest and back.
Excessive frequency of inclusion of the exercise in question in the athlete’s complex can lead to:
- the appearance of general overtraining of the body (the muscles of the upper body will be temporarily unsuitable for performing daily exercises. For example, when you lift the bag, your hands may begin to tremble or quickly get tired);
- injuries of a different nature (from the simplest muscle strain to serious dislocation of joints requiring medical attention).
Tips and Features
To properly organize the training process, the athlete should study in advance the features of vertical thrust:
- during the exercise, the spine should remain straight (if at the moment it is not physically possible to accept such a position of the body, then the load in the block simulator should be postponed. To proceed with it again should only be achieved if sufficient flexibility and mobility of the joints);
- in order to get rid of the additional “harmful” load on the hands and forearms, it is permissible to use special straps during the pulling of the upper block (you can purchase them at a store specializing in the sale of sports equipment);
- when working in the simulator, it is recommended to sit on the support bench strictly under the movable cable (this position of the body will provide the correct load distribution during pulling the bar on yourself);
- so that the traction can be performed smoothly, following the recommendations of the trainer and the generally accepted technique (avoid jerking), the girl should choose the working weight gradually, starting from 7 -11 pounds.
What is better for pumping backs for girls pull-ups or traction of the upper block
In pumping the back, girls will be able to achieve maximum results when classic pull-ups are included in the training program. This type of training not only exerts a complex load on the upper body, but also supports the tone of the muscles of the abdomen, legs and buttocks.
The main drawback of pull-ups is the complexity of his technique for beginner athletes. In their case, it is advisable to start with the thrust of the upper block, which is considered a lightweight alternative to “professional loads” on the horizontal bar.
The thrust of the upper block, regardless of whether it is performed with a narrow or wide grip, to the chest or behind the head, is aimed at working out the upper body. With its help, subject to the correct selection of working weight, novice athletes will be able to master the basis of strength training, and those who play sports professionally, maintain their muscles in good shape.
With proper exercise, the risk of injury during training is minimal, which allows girls to engage in a block simulator on their own, without resorting to the help of a fitness instructor.
Video on the topic: Technique for performing the exercise “Thrust of the upper block with a narrow grip”
The pull of the upper block with a narrow grip sitting: