Algae are one of the most ancient representatives of terrestrial fauna. They are rich in vitamins, minerals and various trace elements useful for the human body. The unique composition allows the efficient use of algae for the preparation of various dishes, medicines and cosmetology products.
The most popular types are kelp (seaweed), and spirulina, which are not only components for salads, but are also part of diet pills, which have received many positive reviews.
Spirulina is a freshwater blue-green algae that is used as a bioactive supplement, or an independent component for cooking.
In its composition, iodine is practically absent, which makes it possible to take preparations based on it to people suffering from disorders of the thyroid gland.
Spirulina is a protein-rich product. Lose weight with its help without a diet review will not work. With a balanced diet, its intake will reduce the intake of fats and carbohydrates, make up for the deficiency of amino acids, reduce the number of snacks and gradually get rid of extra pounds.
Spirulina drugs are used not only for the prevention and treatment of obesity.
Buds based on it are recommended in the following cases:
- vitamin and mineral deficiency;
- slagging of the body;
- metabolic disease;
- decreased immunity;
- physical and emotional overload;
- failures in the functioning of the digestive tract.
The protein contained in algae is almost completely absorbed by the body. According to WHO, it is effective in the prevention of more than 50% of known diseases. At the end of the last century, spirulina was included in the list of the most promising products of the future, and NACA made it one of the essential nutritional ingredients for astronauts.
Spirulina tablets, reviews of which are mostly positive, have a unique composition. Before becoming a component of a bioactive additive, algae undergoes heat treatment, after which only 5% of water remains in it.
The concentration of nutrients in 100 g of dry product, as well as its calorie content, increase. The energy value of a living culture is only 26 kcal, and dried – 290.
In 100 g of dried seaweed contains:
1. Protein – 57.5% , which is 4 times higher than the protein content in meat. Spirulina protein contains more than 20 identified amino acids, 8 of which are essential. The human body cannot synthesize them on its own and the only source is food.
The content of essential aminoxylates in algae protein:
|Amino acid||Content Percentage||Function|
|Isoleucine||5.7||Promotes the formation of hemoglobin, increases the stamina of the body.|
|Leucine||8.7||Responsible for energy metabolism in the muscles and the production of hormones.|
|Lysine||5.1||Promotes the absorption of calcium, bone growth, collagen synthesis.|
|Methionine||2.6||Accelerates the breakdown of fats, has a detoxifying effect.|
|Phenylalanine||5,0||It has a painkiller effect, has an effect on the central nervous system.|
|Threonine||5,4||Responsible for protein balance and fat absorption.|
|Tryptophan||1,5||Used by the body to synthesize serotonin, melatonin and nicotinic acid.|
|Valine||7.5||Regulates the metabolism of muscle tissues and stimulates their regeneration.|
The amount of complete protein contained in algae completely covers the daily requirement, without exposing the digestive system to overloads associated with the processing of animal proteins. The product perfectly complements the diet and is ideal for older people suffering from digestive tract disorders;
2. Fats – 7.72 g . They must be present in the daily diet, as they are a source of nutrition, are responsible for the safety of internal organs and protect the body from hypothermia.
The composition of the algae includes gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) – one of the most important elements that ensure the full functioning of the brain. Spirulina is the only known plant product with a high concentration of this element.
3. Carbohydrates – 20.3 g. The main source of energy for the brain. In addition, they stimulate the absorption of fats by the body, maintain tissue in tone and prevent the growth of bacteria in the intestines.
4. Dietary fiber – 3.6 g . Responsible for the regulation of the digestive tract. Fiber improves intestinal motility, promotes regular bowel movements.
5. Ash – 6.23 g. Contains potassium iodide, necessary to make up for the lack of iodine in the body and maintain the normal functioning of the thyroid gland.
6. Omega-3 – 0.82 g. Improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system, accelerates metabolic processes, increases stamina, reduces appetite and helps fight depression.
7. Omega-6 – 1254 g . Unsaturated fatty acid, which has a beneficial effect on the state of the central nervous system, cleanses the body, promotes cell regeneration, improves the condition of the skin, hair and nails.
Spirulina is also rich in vitamins, various macrocells and minerals:
|Group||Element and its content in mg|
|Vitamins||C – 10.1;
A – 0029;
PP – 12.82;
B2 – 3.67;
B9 – 0094;
E – 5;
K – 00252.
|Macronutrients||Magnesium – 195;
Sodium – 1048;
Potassium – 1363;
Phosphorus – 118;
Calcium – 120.
|Minerals||Copper – 6.1;
Iron – 28.5;
Manganese – 1.9;
Selenium – 7.2;
Zinc – 2.0.
Scientific studies have shown that the complete biochemical composition of spirulina has about 2000 useful components. Their combination allows you to effectively use algae to solve medical and cosmetic problems.
In what form is produced
Spirulina is a freshwater algae that needs a tropical climate for normal development. In nature, its population can be found in some of Africa and on the fresh lakes of the Mexican Highlands. However, they learned to cultivate it in conditions uncharacteristic of its existence.
In USA there are several large aqua farms on which algae is grown on an industrial scale.
Spirulina can be purchased in the following forms in online stores and pharmacies:
|Frozen||It is frozen at a temperature of -20. To be thawed immediately before use. Sold in courses of 15 servings of 30-42 gr. Keeps all qualities of a live seaweed.||The cost of 1 portion is from $ 2,04. The minimum price of the course is from $ 31.|
|Tablets||Dried processed algae, compressed into tablets. The proportion of active substance and the number of tablets in the package depends on the manufacturer.||In a phyto pharmacy, the price for packing tablets in the amount of 180 pcs. 250 mg each. is $ 5,03.|
|Capsules (Supplements)||The drug is a gelatin capsule. The type of packaging, the proportion of active substance and the composition of additional components depends on the manufacturer.||Buy a pack of 100 capsules of 500 mg each. Chinese production is possible at a price of $ 15.|
|Powder||Dried, powdered algae. Weight and type of packaging depend on the manufacturer.||A package weighing 50 g can be purchased in the online store at a price of $ 4,11.|
Spirulina in tablets according to consumer reviews is more popular. This dosage form is convenient to use, does not require calculation of the consumption rate, special storage conditions and additional actions (for example, defrosting).
Due to its unique composition, algae has a healing effect on all life support systems, namely:
- lowers cholesterol and glucose in the blood, which reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and diabetes;
- stops inflammatory processes, increases the body’s ability to withstand the spread of cancer cells;
- is an effective antioxidant, blocks the action of NADPH oxidase, which contributes to the development of pathologies of the cardiovascular system, obesity, diabetes, allergic reactions, skin diseases and arthrosis;
- improves the immune system;
- helps to reduce body mass index;
- increases body endurance, reduces muscle recovery after intense physical training;
- protects the brain during intoxication, prevents the accumulation of proteins and toxins, which can slow down the development of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease in the elderly;
- beneficial effect on the functioning of the kidneys, regular use reduces the level of creatinine and urea nitrogen in the blood.
This is only a small part of the beneficial properties of spirulina tablets. A complete list of indications, effects on the body, dosage and methods of use are indicated in the instructions that should be attached to the drug.
Spirulina freshwater algae promotes the absorption of nutrients that enter the body through food. The course of taking the drug with the aim of losing weight allows you to reduce the daily diet by almost a third without harm to the body and associated with the limitations of emotional problems.
To get rid of excess weight, spirulina must be taken in 30-60 minutes. 2-3 times a day before meals. The recommended dosage is 0.5-1 g. When the tablet contains 500 mg. active substance, you need to take only 2 pcs. Drink the dietary supplement should be a sufficient amount of liquid ( 0,2 – 0,4 pint.).
To achieve the best result in losing weight, nutritionists recommend replacing one of the meals with 3-4 g of spirulina and 2 tablespoon. water.
At the time of the course intake, you should reduce the consumption of animal protein, eat more vegetables and fruits. Try to eat fractionally, exclude alcoholic beverages, spicy spices, fatty foods and sweets from the diet.
The maximum daily dose of dietary supplement for adults should not exceed 5 g, for children – 2.5 g. The drug is taken for prophylactic purposes (to lower blood sugar or normalize metabolic processes) in doses of 1 to 2 g 2 times a day half an hour before meals.
Spirulina tablets, reviews of which are mostly positive, have no absolute contraindications. Scientific studies have not revealed a negative effect of the drug on the human body. Its overdose is also doubtful, however, the individual tolerance of one or several components that make up the complex composition of algae cannot be ruled out.
However, there are a number of limitations that should be considered when taking the drug. Spirulina is not recommended:
- cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy;
- people suffering from bile or urolithiasis;
- pregnant and lactating women;
- in the presence of autoimmune diseases and phenylketonuria;
- children under 3 years old.
Spirulina can affect the effect of certain drugs, enhancing or decreasing it. Patients who regularly take one or more drugs, before using BADOv, on the basis of this seaweed, should consult a doctor.
It is also not recommended to be taken simultaneously with drugs or folk remedies that thin the blood, for example, with ginger, garlic, krukrum.
Despite the absence of negative consequences for the body, when taking the drug, you can encounter some side effects:
- A slight increase in temperature. Spirulina accelerates metabolic processes, which is often accompanied by a change in body temperature.
- Muscle and headaches, slight dizziness, nausea. May be caused by overdose.
- Change the color of the chair. Due to the high content of chlorophyll, which provokes a change in the color of feces, giving it a greenish tint, as well as the release of toxins accumulated in the colon, which stain it black.
- Flatulence. An indicator that there are failures in the digestive system.
- Excessive excitability. It is caused by an exc
ess of thermal energy synthesized as a result of protein processing by the body.
- Itchy skin. Temporary reaction to the start of the detoxification process or overdose.
- Drowsiness. May be caused by activation of the immune system, exhaustion, or an allergic reaction.
Most of the side effects listed above disappear a few days after the start of the drug. However, if this does not happen, you should consult a doctor for advice.
Advantages and disadvantages
Spirulina tablets, reviews of which, in most cases, confirm their effectiveness, have proven themselves in the market for weight loss products. Like any drug, dietary supplements based on this freshwater algae have their advantages and disadvantages.
- practically have no contraindications;
- replace several vitamin and mineral complexes at once.
- possible overdose with multivitamins;
- tablets with a low content of active substance have to be taken more often and in large quantities;
- drugs can not be called budget, so the course is not available to everyone;
- buying pills over the Internet can run counterfeit;
- to achieve a result in losing weight without following a diet is impossible.
Despite the high cost, preparations containing spirulina are becoming increasingly popular.
Spirulina in tablets, reviews of which prove their effectiveness, is produced at many factories in the countries of the Asian, the USA, India, and even USA. Choosing the best drug is not easy. Not all companies offer adequate value for money.
Rating TOP-5 tablets containing spirulina:
|Name||Producing country||Description||price, usd.||Rating on OZON|
|Superfood Spirulina 50g||China||In one tablet, 250 mg. active substance. Packed in a thermal bag with a zipper 200 pieces.||371||4.6 / 5|
|Orthium Spirulina||USA||In one tablet, 500 mg. compressed spirulina. Sold in packs of 100 pcs. Packed in a plastic jar with a ground lid.||378||4.75 / 5|
|Solgar||USA||Dried seaweed powder tablets 463.2 mg. Sold in a glass bottle, packaged in 100 or 250 pcs.||1450/100 pcs.||4.8 / 5|
|Spirulina “Optimist”, 100 g||USA||In one tablet, 250 mg. active substance. Packed in a cardboard box of 400 pcs.||450||4.85 / 5|
|“SPIRULINA MAXIMA” 80 gr.
|China||The active substance content is 500 mg. Packed in a plastic bottle of 150 pcs.||377||5/5|
The quality of dietary supplements largely depends on the area of algae growth and the method of its processing. Some buyers believe that imported drugs are better than domestic ones.
However, it was in USA that a unique technology for pressing tablets was developed, which retains all the benefits of a unique freshwater seaweed. Therefore, American analogues are not only no worse, but often even better, dietary supplements produced in other countries.
Spirulina in tablets has worked well, and customer reviews confirm its effectiveness. The drug is not a drug and is on sale. However, before buying a dietary supplement, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
Video on the topic: how to take spirulina powder for weight loss
How to take spirulina powder: