Lymphatic drainage massage is a procedure that helps to solve problems such as varicose veins, swelling or heaviness in the legs. You can perform the procedure manually (at home) or by the hardware method.
- Features of the procedure
- Indications for lymphatic drainage
- How to properly conduct lymphatic drainage massage
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- With lymphostasis
- With varicose veins
- Decongestant massage
- Lymphatic drainage massage with oil and honey
- Hardware lymphatic drainage
- Pressure therapy
- Vacuum method
- Lymphatic drainage foot massage during pregnancy
- Video about lymphatic drainage massage
Features of the procedure
Lymphatic drainage, as a technique of effective therapeutic effect on the lymphatic system of the human body, appeared in the last century in France. As originally, the main effect of the procedure is the restoration of the natural movement of lymph to all limbs and vital systems of the body.
Lymph is a constituent element of the blood that helps to remove toxins and other substances that inhibit the normal functioning of the body, nourish the cells and protect them from infectious lesions. Violation of this work in the limbs of a person can provoke the development of varicose veins, swelling, heaviness in the legs.
The massage in question helps to solve these problems. It positively affects the lymph nodes, blood vessels and capillaries, relieves congestion, and in general contributes to the healing of limbs.
Indications for lymphatic drainage
Lymphatic drainage foot massage at home is carried out if there is the following indications:
- varicose veins;
- metabolic dysfunction;
- impaired lymph circulation;
- overweight / figure correction;
- loss of elasticity of the skin in the thigh area;
- sedentary lifestyle.
According to doctors, it is impossible to carry out the procedure in the following cases:
- the presence of open wounds, fresh scars at the site of exposure;
- vein thrombosis;
- general malaise, the presence of fever.
How to properly conduct lymphatic drainage massage
The massage procedure will be more effective when you consider the following points:
- The absence of painful sensations – the massage should be a joy, the presence of pain indicates a violation of technology or the presence of hidden problems.
- The use of oils or creams – cosmetics will make the skin more supple, in addition, the epidermis will receive additional nutrition and hydration. Natural ingredients are also acceptable: honey, ground coffee, decoctions of medicinal plants.
- The bath before the massage is relaxing, with the addition of ethers the procedure will prepare and warm the skin.
- Drinking fluid – 4 – 6 pint of water per day – the key to a successful massage. Please note that it is not recommended to drink water for 2 hours after the session.
- Exercise – physical activity will enhance the effect of massage, tighten the skin, make it more elastic, in general, help to adjust weight and body.
Manual lymphatic drainage
The manual technique of lymphatic drainage massage in terms of penetration is of 3 types:
- Superficial – affects the capillaries responsible for collecting fluid. Suitable for solving cosmetic problems, tightens the skin, makes them smoother. The technique involves light circular stroking of the legs, starting from the feet and gradually rising to the hips, with a slight pressure on the muscle tissue.
- Deep – affects the lymph vessels responsible for the removal of excess fluid. It is used to treat various diseases of the extremities, contributes to weight loss and figure correction. The technique involves a more intense effect on problem areas, stimulating the deep layers of muscle tissue.
- Internal – affects the lymph nodes. Allows you to restore their performance, ensuring the healing of the body as a whole.
For a home session, the first type of massage is best suited, it is the safest, does not require special knowledge of human anatomy. Deep and internal – it is better to entrust to specialists.
Lymphatic drainage foot massage at home allows for supportive therapy of lymphostasis – a disease associated with the occurrence of constant swelling of tissues, provoked by dysfunction of the outflow of tissue fluid.
Most often, this ailment affects the lower limbs, however, massage is recommended to be done in the upper zone , so that the disease does not progress. The session begins with a superficial stroking of the legs from the feet to the hips along the movement of the lymph flow with a slight pressure on the skin. This allows you to prepare the limbs for a more intensive procedure, enhances blood flow.
Further, massaging the skin becomes more rhythmic, but at the same time gentle and light. Presses should not cause discomfort or pain. The duration of one session is 40-60 minutes. The duration of therapy is 10 times every other day.
After the procedure, it is recommended to use special compression underwear, which will enhance the effectiveness of the massage.
Result: there is activation of the lymph flow, increased metabolism, which helps to reduce swelling, as well as increase the overall level of immunity.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
With varicose veins
Varicose veins – a disease of the legs, characterized by swelling, pain in the limbs, the appearance of the
There are 3 stages of this disease:
- the first is the appearance of mild swelling, heaviness in the legs after a hard day, pain in the lower leg;
- the second is increased pain and swelling, the appearance of a vascular network, especially clearly visible under the knees, where the skin is the thinnest;
- third , large veins begin to emerge, bumps, knots appear, legs swell and constantly hurt.
Lymphatic drainage is allowed in the first and second stages. You can independently carry out the procedure if there are initial signs of varicose veins, the remaining cases require the supervision of a specialist.
They begin the session by applying a special venotonic cream to the skin, which will provide not only easy glide, but also have a therapeutic effect: strengthen the walls of the veins, improve blood circulation, and relieve swelling.
Technique of execution:
- Light stroking movements in the direction of the lymphatic current (from the bottom up), warming the skin, increasing blood circulation.
- Tissue kneading with a gradual increase in muscle load. The movements are smooth, sharpness can provoke a vasospasm.
- Light sweltering movements, relaxing and completing the massage procedure.
The course of therapy: duration 30 minutes for 2 weeks. Then you need to take a break for 4 weeks, after which you can repeat the procedure.
Lymphatic drainage massage helps relieve swelling, fatigue in the legs after a hard day, and you can do it yourself at home.
Before the session, it is recommended to take a relaxing bath, which will prepare the limbs for further action. In warm water add an infusion of birch leaves, mint, chamomile (per 0,3 gallon of liquid 100 g of the plant mixture). The duration of the procedure is 15–20 minutes. Then the legs are well wiped and lubricated with a massage cosmetic product.
At the first stage, each toe of the foot is massaged, without ignoring the hollows between them. The second stage goes up to the ankles and calf muscles, and is completed by massaging the knees and hips.
The movements are all smooth, light, with little pressure on the fabric, accompanied by pats and striking. If redness appears during the massage, then the strength of the effect must be weakened.
Note that the lower leg is worked out by squeezing and unclenching the muscle tissue, combining these movements with kneading the Achilles tendon. When working on the knee joint, it is impossible to massage the popliteal zone. The session ends with light stroking of the limbs for 2 minutes.
The course of therapy: the duration of the procedure is not more than 30 minutes for 10 days every month. Such a massage is a good prevention of the development of various diseases of the legs.
Lymphatic drainage massage with oil and honey
Lymphatic drainage massage with honey will help improve blood circulation, smooth and tighten the skin. The natural ingredient nourishes the epidermis with beneficial substances and, at the same time, eliminates toxins and harmful elements.
For massage, you need to take fresh honey of any grade and mix with your favorite aromatic oil at the rate of 1 small tablespoons of sweet ingredient + 5 cap. oils.
Please note that the mixture is prepared immediately before the session.
The honey-oil mixture is applied to problem areas with light patting movements. Then the movements become more intense: the palms are firmly pressed to the skin and sharply torn off. Continue the massage until a whitish coating appears on the hands, in the temporary equivalent it takes from 5 to 10 minutes.
After the procedure, the remnants of the honey-oil mixture are washed off with warm water, the skin is lubricated with a suitable cosmetic product. The number of sessions – 15 for 30 days.
Hardware lymphatic drainage
Lymphatic drainage foot massage at home is not always effective, especially in cases of progression of any disease of the lower extremities.
Then experts recommend using a hardware method, which can be of 3 types:
- microscopic currents;
- compressed air therapy;
Hardware lymphatic drainage reduces the walls of blood vessels, and not just squeezes them, therefore, the process of restoring the movement of lymph is accelerated, returning legs to their former health.
Indications: cellulitis, swelling of the lower extremities, the initial stage of varicose veins, enlarged lymph nodes, overweight.
Contraindications: the presence of skin diseases, oncology, a tendency to thrombosis, during the expectation of a child or lactation.
Microcurrent hardware lymphatic drainage refers to superficial procedures. Light electrical impulses act on the lymphatic vessels, squeezing them evenly, which beneficially affects the movement of lymph.
Also, the procedure makes the muscles contract, which helps to tighten the skin, return their tone. In addition, microcurrents affect the nervous and other systems of the body, healing them.
Benefits of this procedure:
- suitable for thin and sensitive skin;
- trains small vessels and capillaries;
- smoothes and moisturizes the epidermis;
- has a calming effect.
Microcurrent massage has additional contraindications:
- the presence of a pacemaker;
- heart diseases;
- heart attack or stroke;
- the presence of metal implants in the problem area.
The essence of the massage is microcurrents: the working area is lubricated with a special gel that allows electric pulses to be carried out, and two electrodes are installed – with positive and negative charges. The first remains in place, and the second moves in the direction of the lymphatic current.
For therapeutic purposes, drugs are additionally applied to the problem area, which, under the influence of microcurrents, penetrate into the deep layers of the epidermis.
The duration of the session is 10-15 minutes. The number of procedures is determined by a specialist, but they cannot be less than 5.
Pressotherapy refers to the deep types of lymphatic drainage, in which the effect on lymph occurs due to the creation of high external pressure on the lower limbs.
Massage is indicated to solve the
- swelling of the legs;
The benefits of pressotherapy:
- safety and painlessness of the procedure;
- gentle effect on the skin;
- minimum contraindications.
Massage is carried out using a special suit, which is a pair of high boots or pants made of thick fabric, into which compressed air is supplied. The pressure intensity is regulated by a computer program that allows you to select individual indicators taking into account the characteristics of the disease.
The resulting pressure acts on toxins and toxins in the body. Once in the lymph, they accelerate to it through the bloodstream, thereby cleaning the vessels and tissues.
The number of procedures is 10–15. They recommend performing them every other day, the duration of the sessions can be up to 6 months.
Vacuum lymphatic drainage massage of the legs (also feasible at home) allows you to tighten the skin, improve their condition as a whole, and also solves therapeutic problems: it fights the initial stages of varicose veins and cellulite.
Benefits of the procedure:
- quickly relieves puffiness;
- eliminates the first signs of aging of the epidermis;
- allows you to get rid of excess fat;
- stimulates the natural production of collagen;
- struggles with manifestations of cellulitis and varicose veins.
Among the shortcomings, experts note the appearance of bruises with improperly selected strength of the vacuum.
Massages are usually performed on the hips and buttocks. The skin is first cleaned, then applied to them with a special massage tool that provides good glide. Establish a vacuum connected to the device that controls the force of air supply, and slowly move it in the direction of the lymphatic current.
Please note, vacuum lymphatic drainage is prohibited with severe varicose veins or thrombophlebitis.
To achieve a lasting result, you will need at least 10 massage sessions. It will be possible to repeat the procedure after 3 months.
Lymphatic drainage massage of the hips using a vacuum can be carried out independently. For this, a silicone can is suitable, which can be bought at a pharmacy or a specialized medical equipment store.
The essence of the procedure: heat the problem area with a hot shower or intensive rubbing, apply oil or cream, install a silicone jar and carefully move it in the direction from the bottom up. In this case, it is necessary to adjust the strength of the effect: the skin should be slightly pink, and not densely red. The duration of the massage is 10 minutes.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
Lymphatic drainage foot massage during pregnancy
While waiting for the child, it is the legs that experience a rather large load, swelling and heaviness appear, and convulsions often occur. Lymphatic drainage massage will help to solve these problems.
It is allowed to expectant mothers from the second trimester until the very birth in the absence of the following contraindications:
- high blood pressure;
- uterine hypertonicity / threat of miscarriage;
- severe varicose veins, thrombosis;
- heart disease
- infectious damage to the skin;
- general malaise, fever.
Before massage, the skin of the legs must be prepared: slightly warm the limbs with a warm shower or rubbing, apply natural oil – olive, apricot, almond.
Take a comfortable position, legs should be at eye level. The massage begins with light stroking of the limbs, then the movements become more intense with a slight pressure on the skin, and the session also ends with light stroking. Massage the legs from the heels to the patella with a repeat of the cycle from 5 to 10 times, while reaching the knees, the hands are again lowered down and repeat all the movements again.
- swelling goes away;
- body cleansing occurs;
- blood circulation improves;
- there is no heaviness in the legs (even in late pregnancy).
Please note, if the condition worsens, the appearance of pain in the legs, nausea, it is necessary to stop the procedure.
Lymphatic drainage massage will improve the legs, help prevent the development of various diseases. You can perform it in the home using the manual method or in the cabin using the hardware method, most importantly, observe the technique and do not overdo it.
Video about lymphatic drainage massage
How is lymphatic drainage foot massage done: