The question of how to run properly and what results can be achieved if people who want to start training often ask experts to engage in this sport. After all, following the recommendations of doctors and trainers, you can master the technique of running fast enough and without harm to health.
- When is it better to run in the morning or evening
- How to run
- Running technique, speed, pace
- How much do you need to run per day
- How to start jogging
- The benefits of running in the morning
- Stretching before running
- Running for beginners. Training program
- How to breathe
- How often do you need to run
- Training duration for men and women
- Why you need to pay attention to the pulse
- Is it possible to run during menstruation
- How to learn to run fast
- Can I drink while running
- Can I have breakfast before jogging
- Can I have dinner after an evening run
- To whom running is contraindicated
- What clothes is better to run
- What coverage is better to run
- How to finish the workout correctly
- How to properly run to lose weight
- How much do you need to run for weight loss
- Sample running table for women for a week
- How to diversify running
- Useful videos on how to run properly
When is it better to run in the morning or evening
The research results confirmed that there is no significant difference between morning and evening running. The only difference is that classes before you start work or study help you wake up faster, and training at the end of the day relieves physical and mental stress, and promotes quick relaxation.
The selection of training time is recommended to be carried out depending on the personal work or training schedule. Most athletes are faced with the problem that it is difficult for them to devote at least 30 minutes a day to jogging.
Such a situation speaks only about one thing – the class schedule does not take into account personal preferences and the characteristics of work or study.
When selecting training time, it is taken into account:
- How is the mode of the day. It is important to remember that you should make a schedule for playing sports so that you can make a run before or at the end of work or study and put yourself in order after it, for example, take a shower.
- Features of the body. If a person goes to bed early and feels great in the morning, he will be more comfortable running around before the start of the working day. Those who are ranked among the so-called owls are better suited for evening runs.
How to run
Running technique, speed, pace
Coaches, answering the question of how to run correctly, always say that it all depends on what results a person wants to achieve. The length of the distance, speed, frequency of training and equipment – all this is selected based on the goal set by the athlete.
- Strengthen the heart and blood vessels and increase lung capacity. To achieve this goal, long-distance running at a steady pace is optimal, as well as interval training, at which the speed constantly changes throughout the run.
- To develop muscles and joints of the legs (ankle, quadriceps, triceps femoris). Those who want to achieve this goal are advised to use the “Scissors” running technique – the foot starts moving backward before it touches the ground completely, the push during such a run becomes as strong as possible, since the back surface of the thigh is included in the work.
- Lose weight. Interval running over medium and short distances will help get rid of extra pounds. The speed is selected depending on the weight, state of health and physical data (endurance, lung capacity, age) of a person.
Depending on the goal, doctors and trainers recommend choosing from the following types of training:
- Classic style – suitable for everyone, classes are held in a quiet mode, the distance is medium or marathon. During such a run, the foot gently rolls from the toe to the heel, the body leans slightly forward, the arms are bent at the elbows.
- Shuttle Run – develops joints, coordination of movements. The distance is from 32’8 – 328’1 foot, at the beginning and end of it are placed pushpins. The athlete’s task is to reach the finish line as quickly as possible, make a sharp turn and run to the start. The number of repetitions depends on the physical capabilities of the person.
- Sprint race – characterized by a short distance and maximum speed. Helps develop stamina and strengthen the heart.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Drying the body for girls. Training program, a detailed nutrition menu for a month by day.
How much do you need to run per day
The duration of the run depends on the level of physical fitness of the person and the chosen style.
Beginners using the classical type of training are recommended to run from 15 to 30 minutes, more trained athletes can extend the training to 45-60 minutes. Sprinting usually lasts from 15 to 25 minutes, exactly like the shuttle.
It is important to remember that by the indicated time you need to add 10-15 minutes, they are necessary for warming up and stretching.
How to start jogging
Novice athletes who learn the basics of how to run properly should begin training with preparatory exercises. This will prevent damage to the ankle joint and help to master the classic setting of the foot.
Before jogging, you need to roll the feet from toe to heel alternately at home for 3-5 days for 10-15 minutes. It is advisable to do the exercise in sneakers, which will be used during training.
The benefits of running in the morning
Novice runners are advised to choose the first half of the day for training. So it’s much easier to get used to regular activities and not quit. The likelihood that in the evening a person who does not have the habit of training, referring to fatigue, will miss the lesson much higher.
Also, a morning run is good in that it helps to recharge your batteries for the whole day.
How to make yourself run in the morning
To find and maintain motivation for regular exercise, a few simple steps will help:
- Write down what goals will be achieved after a month of training. For example, the list may include phrases such as – “weight will decrease”, “improve sleep and appetite”, “strengthen immunity”.
- Ask relatives to control the regularity of classes, remind of goals, praise for success.
- Find a group of like-minded people who want to learn how to run and train in a team.
Stretching before running
Trainers and doctors advise starting a lesson with a warm-up and a little stretch, this will reduce the likelihood of injury.
You should walk energetically for 1-3 minutes, raising your knees high and swinging your arms, then tilt the body several times forward, to the sides and back, so your back muscles will prepare for the run.
Then do a little stretching, experts advise to include the following exercises:
- Leaning forward, during which a person tries to reach the ground with his hands. Knees should be straight, legs apart shoulder width apart.
- Stretching the leg muscles. One leg is bent at the knee at a right angle, the second, straightened, is taken as far back as possible. Hands are fixed on a bent knee. The toe of the straight leg rests on the ground, while the muscles of the lower leg are felt. The position is fixed for 5-10 seconds.
Running for beginners. Training program
To understand which training schedule is considered correct, and how long yo
u need to run, you can use one of the standard programs. It is designed for beginners who have not previously engaged in this sport.
|Beginner Running Program||Men||Women|
|Training duration (without warming up and stretching)||30 minutes||25-30 minutes|
|Pace||Medium (breathing while running is calm, a person can maintain a conversation if necessary, but not for long)||Medium (breathing while running is calm, a person can maintain a conversation if necessary, but not for long)|
|Periodicity||Daily or with 2 days off||Mon-2 minutes walk, 26 minutes run, 2 minutes walk.||Daily or every other day||Mon – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk.|
|Tue – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk.||Tue – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk. (Can be replaced with 1 day of rest)|
|Wed – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk.||Wed – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk.|
|Th – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk. (Can be replaced by 1 day of rest)||Th – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk. (Can be replaced by 1 day of rest)|
|Fri – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk.||Fri – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk.|
|Sat – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk.||Sat – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk. (Can be replaced with a day of rest)|
|Sun – 2 minutes walk, 27 minutes run, 1 minutes walk. (Can be replaced with a day of rest)||Sun – 4 minutes walk, 20 minutes run, 3 minutes walk.|
|Schedule change||Each subsequent week, the duration of the run can be increased by 2-3 minutes||Each subsequent week, the duration of the run can be increased by 1-3 minutes|
How to breathe
During training, breathing should be uneven (inhalation is longer than exhalation) and medium deep. Doctors recommend breathing in through the nose and not through the mouth, otherwise a sore throat and discomfort may appear.
You can exhale through your mouth or nose, not sharply, but briefly. Jogging should be started on inspiration, while walking (initial and final) adhere to the same breathing technique as when running.
How often do you need to run
Doctors are allowed to jog daily. But, according to studies, losing weight or tightening muscles will turn out faster if you arrange a weekend.
It is recommended to adhere to the schedule every other day for women and 2 workouts -1 day of rest for men. It is allowed to replace another 1 run per week with intensive walking of a similar duration.
Training duration for men and women
The duration of the training depends not only on the gender of the person, but also on the level of his training. But, there are general recommendations of trainers that state:
- Men who choose a daily workout in the classical style can engage in 30 to 45 minutes.
- Men who choose classical-style workouts on a schedule of 2 days of training and 1 day of rest can run from 35 to 60 minutes.
- Women who choose a daily workout in the classical style can do from 20 to 40 minutes.
- Women who choose to train in a classical style on a schedule every other day can do 30 to 45 minutes.
Why you need to pay attention to the pulse
According to the recommendations of specialists in sports medicine, it’s impossible to run correctly without taking into account both pulse rate and lung volume.
During training, you must either clearly monitor the heart rate, or focus on the so-called level of subjective tension (breathing comfort).
With a moderate intensity of training, the pulse will be from 93 to 118 beats per minute, breathing will be deep and even.
Doctors say that by tracking heart rate and subjective tension, a person reduces the likelihood of injury and increases the duration of the workout.
Neglecting these rules, the athlete risks giving too much or, on the contrary, a small load. In the first case, there may be problems with breathing and the state of the heart muscle, in the second, the result from training will be too small.
Is it possible to run during menstruation
It all depends on the state of health of the woman and the individual characteristics of her body. If menstruation goes away without pain and with moderate intensity, and at the same time the lady does not have gynecological diseases or pathologies, doctors are allowed to play sports.
The only thing the gynecologists warn about in this case is the need to reduce the time of classes during menstruation.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Glutamic acid – what it is, why and how it is used in sports and bodybuilding.
How to learn to run fast
Before you start learning how to run at maximum speed, you need to correctly plan a workout for endurance, it is from t
his indicator that the duration and intensity of the session depends.
To do this, throughout the week, the pulse rate is monitored at the beginning, middle and end of the session. The pace at which the intensity of the load will be medium, moderate is being verified.
Further, the run schedule changes as follows – approximately every 8-12 minutes of training, 1-3 minutes must be run at the highest possible speed. After 1-2 weeks, the duration of periods with high intensity increases by 1-2 minutes.
Can I drink while running
Drinking while running is not only possible, but also necessary. Otherwise, there is a risk of dehydration. Trainers advise taking 1-2 small sips of drinking water when you feel thirsty or just rinse your mouth without swallowing liquid. Naturally, you need to drink liquid during stops.
Can I have breakfast before jogging
Doctors do not recommend eating food immediately before playing sports. Therefore, breakfast is allowed only if there is the opportunity to take an hour break between eating and jogging.
If you don’t get a schedule like this, you can drink a glass of sweet tea or water with lemon 30 minutes before your workout. It is better to refuse coffee. If you can have breakfast, you can eat low-fat cottage cheese, a portion of porridge or drink a glass of kefir.
Can I have dinner after an evening run
Eating is recommended no earlier than 1 hour after training. To strengthen muscles for dinner, it is recommended to eat protein foods, vegetables, low-fat sour-milk products. Eating is advisable at least 2 hours before bedtime.
To whom running is contraindicated
Doctors distinguish the following diseases in which jogging is better to replace with another sport:
- myopia and glaucoma;
- cardiovascular diseases;
- diseases of the respiratory system, asthma;
- joint diseases, arthritis.
It is not recommended to run during an exacerbation of chronic diseases and during colds, acute respiratory viral infections, and flu. People after 50 years of age without a sporting past and good health are advised to replace jogging with walking.
What clothes is better to run
For classes, you need to purchase shorts or sweatpants, a T-shirt or a T-shirt (you can use a regular cotton one), a windbreaker, and running sneakers. Women will also need to buy a special sports bra, in ordinary casual underwear it will be inconvenient to train.
If a person plans to run in the winter, the equipment should be supplemented with a warm sports jacket on a synthetic winterizer, a hat or a knitted strip on his head, gloves.
Please note that it is also better to buy socks, which are sold in sports stores, they won’t usd your feet in them, and there is no chance of skin damage from rubbing.
What coverage is better to run
The best traction with the sole of the running shoes is provided by regular asphalt or special coating on the treadmills in the running stadium. If there is no possibility to run on such a surface, it is recommended to choose ordinary park gravel paths.
In this case, it should be remembered that there may be holes, stones and other irregularities or obstacles on them, so it is important to always look carefully under your feet.
How to finish the workout correctly
The run ends with a stretch. Exercises can be chosen the same with which the training began. It will not be superfluous to devote a couple of minutes to walking low intensity, this will help normalize breathing and stabilize the pulse.
How to properly run to lose weight
Trainers argue that to lose weight, it’s important not only to exercise regularly, but also to follow a diet at the same time. Otherwise, extra pounds will not go away.
How much time a person goes in for sports, whether he does it daily, or the jogging schedule includes weekends – all this just helps to create a calorie deficit and tighten muscles, that is, accelerate the process of weight loss and find beautiful body shapes.
How much do you need to run for weight loss
According to research by nutritionists, weight loss will begin in the first month of training. How fast the pounds will leave depends on the intensity of the classes. It must be remembered that for a beginner, the load should be medium, and not excessively high or too low.
The exact duration of your workout is less important than regularity, but spending less than 20 minutes on sports is not recommended.
Sample running table for women for a week
If you want to lose weight, you can use the ready-made program. It should be remembered that it is not suitable for people with severe obesity, they need to consult a nutritionist and sports doctor to develop an individual weight loss plan.
|First day||Medium intensity jogging (heart rate from 93 to 118 beats per minute) lasting from 20 to 25 minutes|
|Second day||Medium intensity jogging (heart rate from 93 to 118 beats per minute) lasting from 20 to 25 minutes|
|The third day||Rest day (you can replace walking with medium intensity for 30 minutes)|
|Fourth day||Medium intensity jogging (heart rate from 93 to 118 beats per minute) lasting from 20 to 25 minutes|
|Fifth day||Medium intensity jogging (heart rate from 93 to 118 beats per minute) lasting from 20 to 25 minutes|
How to diversify running
Psychologists advise combining training with listening to music. According to studies, a rhythmic and invigorating melody helps to engage more intensively and easier to carry loads.
They also recommend using various mobile applications that allow you to track training results, share them with like-minded people. This helps to make the process more interesting and eventful, get support from people around you and increase motivation.
Everyone can learn how to run and achieve their goals, whatever they are. It is only necessary to make efforts at the initial stage of playing sports and be patient during training
Useful videos on how to run properly
How to run: the principles of natural running from Dr. Mark Cucusella:
How to run and breathe while running (beginner’s guide):