Many modern women try to look unique, differ in special originality. A major role is played by the hairstyle, which gives a special charm in the form of wavy hair. Far few people know how to make light and mesmerizing dynamics waves and curls on hair, without the services of stylists.
- Varieties of waves on the hair
- Retro wave style
- Hollywood Wave Style
- Beach Wave Style
- Cold wave style
- The main ways of laying waves
- With ironing
- 1st method
- 2nd method
- 3rd method
- On the curlers
- By curling
- Brushing hairdryer
- Without pads and irons
- Wet Wipes
- Wave Fixing Tools
- Aerosol gels
- The specifics of undulation for short hair
- Features undulation on medium hair
- Principles of undulation for long hair
- Which waves last longer
- Recommendations of popular stylists
- Video on how to make waves on your hair
Varieties of waves on the hair
Hairstyles in waves are of old age: it all began in the XVII century, when the wearing of wigs by both women and men came into fashion, for greater expressiveness curled in an intricate way.
In the 19th century, when wigs went out of fashion, the French hairdresser Marcel Gratot came up with a method of curling natural hair, which consisted in the use of hot tongs. Such hairstyles became popular in the first half of the twentieth century, and now they are experiencing a new round of evolution, becoming in demand, like 100 years ago.
For waves, 2 types of laying are used – cold and hot. Both methods are effective, but there are differences: cold styling is considered preferable for hair, thanks to the gentle regime. But it is not suitable for thick and stiff hair, in order to make curls on them, the hot method is used.
The length is also important, the most convenient for curling – the average. Owners of long hair will have to work hard on the hairstyle, as the waves on long hair quickly straighten. Naturally, with short hair, this is not possible.
Wavy hairstyles are divided into several styles, which have their own nuances: retro waves, Hollywood, beach, cold.
Retro wave style
Features of the retro-wave style are expressed in how to make the waves a graceful bend along the entire length of the hair with a parting in the middle or somewhat on the side. To do this, bends need to be fixed, starting from the roots and to the upper part of the ear.
When it comes to long hair, a more complex design is often used so that they fall in neat curly curls. This type of laying is called undulation, and it is achieved both by cold and hot methods.
Hollywood Wave Style
This style is one of the most refined and spectacular, and Marilyn Monroe is justifiably considered its most famous fan. A distinctive feature of such styling is a smooth and shiny hairstyle with even curls, curly and glossy along the entire length with the same length of waves and gaps.
More often, a parting is done on the side so that the hair falls on one side (this is a classic option), but a parting is also used in the middle. To achieve the best effect, the hair should be equal in length, and a lot of fixing agents will be required to fix it.
Beach Wave Style
The most convenient at home are beach waves, and to create them you will need simple tools at hand. The hairstyle is expressed in the form of light waves, with elements of refined negligence and disheveledness, like an excited sea surface flowing over the shoulders.
For her, long hair is more suitable, curling in length in several stages, with the ability to experiment freely.
Cold wave style
This style is mainly applicable for medium-length hair, which will give the hairstyle the look of a work of art and make any woman irresistible. Outwardly, cold waves have much in common with retro-style hairstyles, but they are not formed from the roots of the hair, but from the middle to the ends.
Curls are smooth and lush, forming a bulky heap in the lower part, on the side. This is achieved by cold laying with the use of fixing means and requires sufficient dexterity. There are methods and hot styling of a similar style, used mostly on long hair.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable hair colors this year. Photos and trends of hairdressing.
The main ways of laying waves
The task is how to independently, without resorting to the services of stylists, make beautiful, flowing waves on straight hair so that the hairstyle looks professional and like after visiting the salon.
Basically, waves are made with the help of an iron, hair dryer, curlers, curling irons and other improvised means available in the modern woman’s home arsenal. At the same time, such devices as wet wipes, tows, dressings that are not found in a set of stylists are often used.
Not so long ago, the only tools for a beautiful and stylish styling were a curler, curlers, and later a hairdryer. Now, with the help of devices such as a styler, better known as an iron, doing this has become much easier, faster. The hairstyle at the same time looks much more professional.
It is noteworthy, but stylers were originally created and used as a means of straightening hair, but immediately began to be used for curling, and I must say, they have established themselves in this well. The creation of waves with the help of ironing took root and became so widespread that several ways appeared to achieve the desired result.
Classic styling, the most common and popular among women:
- Divide the hair washed and dried immediately before the curling into locks of medium width and apply styling agent evenly;
- Then take a heated iron, hold one of the strands at a distance of several inch from the hair roots and wind it with simple movements, moving it away from the face;
- After that, turn the iron forward and gently pull down, as is done for straightening;
- Hold the curl until heating for a few seconds, remove, and a
fter cooling, apply varnish to fix it;
- Apply the same sequence of actions to other curls. For a uniform and convenient styling, it is worth starting from the back of the head.
- First of all, twist the hair in the form of dense bundles and thoroughly warm with a styler along the entire length;
- The size of the waves, ultimately, depends on the thickness of the bundles: for small curls, they must be thin, and vice versa;
- No need to rush, movements should be smooth and unhurried, hair needs to warm up outside and inside the tourniquet;
- It should be untwisted after cooling. You need to separate by hand, after wetting them in foam for better fixation.
The most aesthetically pleasing of all that can be done with the ironing:
- To do this, divide the hair into strands of such a width that it turns out from 8 to 10 pieces;
- Clamp each strand with an iron and wrap it in the center from the bottom up, so that the tip is outside the rectifier;
- After, hold for 10-15 seconds, without overheating the hair, and then just pull the iron down, holding the protruding tip.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
On the curlers
Since ancient Greece, a method has been known for how to make waves on your own hair – these are curlers. But this method is not considered fast and convenient. To create waves, it is better to use large curlers, small ones are not suitable for these purposes, since only curls will appear with their help.
- To begin with, the hair needs to be washed and dried so that it remains wet (not dry or wet);
- After that, you should evenly apply styling agent suitable for the type of hair;
Prepared hair is divided into narrow even strands and wound in one direction;
- You should start from the top of the head and gradually move towards the back of the head, hair on the sides curling last;
- Finally, dry the styling with a hair dryer, and remove the curlers when the hair is completely dry;
- After removal, the resulting strands must be carefully separated by fingers and apply varnish that fixes the hair.
Curling iron is another ancient method, along with modern ones, used to create beautiful and stylish hairstyles. It is worth noting that it is desirable to use wide curling irons with a ceramic coating, capable of heating to high temperatures. This is not a prerequisite, but there is a much lower chance of harming the hair and protecting it from destruction.
- Immediately before curling, the hair should be washed and dried so that it remains slightly moist;
- Divide the hair into two equal parts – upper and lower. Stab the top, so as not to interfere with the process, start from the bottom;
- Hair should be divided into uniform locks, apply styling products to them, then wrap around the curling iron in an upright position;
- Hold each strand for a minute and only then remove it. Apply the same sequence of actions for all lower and then upper strands;
- After cooling the hair, beat with your hands, while holding your head in the lowered position, after which apply varnish.
For this styling method, in addition to a hair dryer and a round brush-brush, other improvised means will be needed: hair clips and a diffuser.
- Washed hair should be wound in strands for brushing and dried with a hairdryer at the roots;
- Then apply mousse or foam on them for styling, better than moderate fixation strength;
- After this, lock the strands into the nozzle of the diffuser, tightly pressing it to the head;
- Fix the strands collected by the rings with hairpins and blow dry with a hairdryer, and the air should be hot at minimum speed.
Without pads and irons
A question that interests many: how else, without resorting to ploques and hair dryers, make luxurious waves and curls on your hair. The possibilities for this are unlimited in terms of cold styling, and there are many ways.
- From a napkin, it is better not aromatic, to make a kind of tourniquet;
- Rinse hair, dry and divide into narrow strands;
- Screw in the center of the tissue tow and tie it in a knot;
- Repeat the same actions with the remaining strands;
- When they dry, untie the knots, separate the strands with your fingers and sprinkle with varnish.
Everything is much simpler here, in order to get a beautiful hairstyle from voluminous wavy hair, you only need to braid wet hair in braids in the evening and leave it until morning.
Before weaving, it is worth using an aerosol gel, so when combing your hair in the morning, styling will remain intact.
This method is similar to the previous one, but instead of braiding, wet hair is twisted into a braid, and is wound around its base. Then the hairstyle is fixed with hairpins. Due to the fact that they will dry for a long time, and sleep so uncomfortably, it is better to carry out the procedure during the day.
- Comb wet hair in front and carefully put on a bandage;
- Then, dividing the hair with your fingers, wrap one strand around the bandage;
- After all the strands are wrapped, they should be lifted so that they are not stretched;
- In this position, the hair should be until completely dry, after which the bandage must be carefully removed, and the strands should be separated by fingers.
Wave Fixing Tools
The only negative of such styling is that the waves on the hair are short-lived and quickly straighten. But to help with this, cosmetics from the cosmetology market come, specially created to consolidate hairstyles and extend the pack time, styling is kept in its original form.
Equally suitable for all types of hair, regardless of length and thickness. Apply to both dry and wet hair without losing the firming effect.
The quantity also does not play a role and does not negatively affect the structure, but if you apply too much, the appearance of the hairstyle will be dull and nondescript. Mousses are especially beneficial for oily hair, having drying properties.
They have some advantages over mousses, in the sense that they fix any types of hairstyles and add volume. Apply to wet hair and with combs with large teeth evenly distributed over the surface, and then dried with a hairdryer.
For styling, foams need to be applied half as much as mousse. The properties of the foam are better for fine hair.
Like foams, they serve both for fixing and for creating volume. In addition, aerosol gels allow you to comb your hair, without fear that styling will be broken. Apply exclusively to dry hair, styling massage brush or brushing. Suitable for all hair types, but may not be tolerated by people with allergic reactions.
They are used only for the final fixation of hairstyles or curls, inferior in action to other means. But fixing hairstyles with varnishes is considered reliable and effective, although it all depends on the amount of their use.
However, applying too much is not recommended, in order to avoid hair bonding. Spray the product from a long distance.
The specifics of undulation for short hair
Short hair that does not reach the chin is unsuitable for styling in waves. The main reason for this is that they simply cannot be curled. Compared to long or medium hair, the curling iron takes them much worse. The minimum hair length permissible for undulation, at the level of hairstyles, such as bob or bob.
Features undulation on medium hair
Medium length hair is most suitable for undulation. In this, they are much preferable even to long ones, which, it would seem, are suitable for any hairstyle. Hair styling on medium hair is done both hot and cold, as well as with all the devices used to create waves.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Principles of undulation for long hair
Long hair has both advantages and disadvantages. All methods of creating waves are applicable to them, and the hairstyle looks attractive and romantic. But even when using a large number of fixing means, they straighten much faster than average ones, and it takes much more time to undulate. And yet, they are not always able to wind over the entire length.
Which waves last longer
The most durable styling in the form of light waves on medium hair, obtained by weaving braids. It seems paradoxical, but braids are the easiest way to create waves, and at the same time the most reliable.
Wet hair, braided by pigtails, takes on the desired shape, and at the time of drying, the hair is naturally fixed, far superior to the styling created with the help of thermal appliances.
Recommendations of popular stylists
There are 3 main secrets of ideal waves from stylists:
- The determining factor is the correct choice of means for fixing the hair – the best tool is that it does not stick hair and does not make heavier;
- It is necessary to allow the hair to cool – no matter what procedures are performed with it, one cannot complete the process of creating waves while the hair is hot;
- For naughty hair, mousse is used – applied to wet hair before styling, then dried with a hairdryer, after which the hairstyle will be much easier to shape.
Considering the above, it is not so difficult to make waves of hair, both with the help of special devices and improvised means. The possibilities of creating chic and stylish curls at home are quite enough, so you can save on visiting expensive salons, while always having a unique and excellent hairstyle.
Video on how to make waves on your hair
How to make waves on the hair – video instruction:
How to make wavy waves: