One of the most popular hairdressing services is highlighting on medium-length dark hair. After carefully examining the photographs of the possible results, you can decide what width and shades the individual locks of hair should be. This gentle procedure refreshes the face and masks gray hair.
- Pros and Cons of Highlighting
- On medium hair
- On short hair
- Popular highlighting techniques
- Painting methods
- Partial (zonal)
- Trendy colors and shades
- How to make highlighting at home
- With a hat
- With foil
- Manual way
- Video on highlighting on medium-length dark hair
Pros and Cons of Highlighting
Highlighting on dark hair of medium length should be performed after careful preparation. In the photo sample, the hairstyle may look gorgeous, but in fact, the paint can have a negative effect on the hair. Depending on the composition, the dye can significantly damage the structure of the hair.
- when highlighting, curls are less affected by the dye, since 25-35% of the hair is colored;
- the hairstyle becomes spectacular;
- visually increases the volume of hair in ladies with a short haircut or sparse hair;
- highlighting looks more natural than full staining;
- hides gray hair well;
- less noticeable is the difference at the roots during hair regrowth;
- You can less often visit the salon for adjustment.
Along with the pros, clarification has its drawbacks:
- hair becomes dry and brittle;
- highlighting requires periodic correction;
- separating the strands and applying the composition takes a lot of time;
- it is difficult to do it yourself;
- you must constantly use hair care products;
- locks can acquire a yellow tint;
- the use of hydrogen peroxide leads to a loss of shine and elasticity of the hair.
On medium hair
Highlighting on dark hair of medium length – photos of the results clearly demonstrate the options for lightening. It will look good highlighting, made in California or American technology, as well as a crank. This color looks great on brown hair.
The procedure takes an average of about 2 hours.
Highlighting is not recommended in the following cases:
- with damage to the scalp (wounds, inflammation);
- predisposition to allergies;
- with sensitivity of the scalp;
- if recently done a chemical or bio-perm.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable hair colors this year. Photos and trends of hairdressing.
On short hair
Highlighting for short hair is a good way to give the hairstyle a charm and attractiveness, however, highlighting on dark strands is more difficult to perform than on blond or red hair.
First of all, you need to find a good master who must carefully select the shades and areas of staining. For ladies with dark curls, experts advise you to choose cold light or colorful warm tones.
The main advantages of highlighting short hair:
- The ability to create the effect of a smooth transition of colors. To obtain the most natural look, it is necessary to apply paint to thin strands.
- A significant difference between bleached and regrown hair appears later than after full coloring.
- Highlighting does less harm to hair than full coloring.
Highlighting short hair:
- When dyeing hair at the bottom, you need to add a shade brighter than the main tone of the hair.
- It provides for the application of two close shades at once, contrasting with the natural color.
Popular highlighting techniques
The main differences between various techniques:
- Lightening range . There is staining by zones and the classic version. The first technique consists in coloring certain areas, and the second is tinting of curls over the entire surface of the head. The brightness of the shades depends on the thickness of the strands.
- Tone of paint . The procedure can be done according to the classical scheme (the shade of the paint is selected lighter than the natural hair color) or the reverse technique (involves coloring the curls in darker colors).
- The composition of the coloring agents . The effect on the strands can be intense or more gentle. Paints with ammonia damage hair more.
- Technique of carrying out . There are about 20 types of highlighting.
This type of highlighting does not go out of fashion and is suitable for curls of different lengths, of any type and color. It is done in 2 steps: first of all, the strands are lightened with a composition combining the blinding powder and oxygen, after which tinting is performed to soften the transition between the natural shade and the colored parts.
Curls are pulled through the holes of a special headdress or the brushes are separated by the handle, laying them in a circle or on either side of a straight parting. For a contrasting shade, after applying the composition, the strands are wrapped in foil. For tinting, light colors of natural shades are used.
Highlighting involves the coloring of individual sections and looks good on dark hair of medium length. The photo shows different options for hairstyles.
Under the influence of the dye, only individual curls fall. To obtain a natural effect, partial coloring is done with a soft transition of tones. The procedure is able to visually add volume to the hairdo and a unique play of shades.
Rare highlighting is characterized in that the strands have contrasting shades and are clearly expressed. The tinted parts are spaced apart from each other. It is performed on curls of any color with colorful or discreet tones.
It does little harm to the hair due to the small areas of paint application using foil. For rare hair, it is not recommended, since visually increasing the volume in this way will not work.
Frequent highlighting has gained popularity relatively recently. The method involves lightening 45-60% of the hair. The rest is left natural or lightweight tinted. The technique is performed u
sing caps with holes. Small strands are pulled through the holes and lighten them.
- a good option for women who do not tolerate paints, because almost does not touch the hair roots;
- disguises gray hair;
- helps to create natural shades in a gentle way.
- takes a lot of time – about 6 hours;
- it is undesirable to do after recent hair coloring.
Reverse highlighting is suitable for ladies who want to return their natural, darker and more saturated tone. Also, the method corrects the hue after unsuccessful coloring.
The technique will help change the light color of the hair to a darker without a visible border between the regrown and dyed areas. The strands are selected in the traditional way, then they are tinted in a similar natural shade.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
The technique allows you to achieve a smooth transition from dark to light shades and the effect of hair burned out in the sun. The tone at the roots is more saturated than at the ends.
The technique does not involve the use of foil.
California highlighting is also suitable for short hair. Dyeing is carried out by applying paint to thin and wide locks from the roots of the hair or from the middle of the length.
With American highlighting, from 2 to 5 shades are used to visually increase the mass of hair and create glare. Use both red tones and other shades of the color palette.
There are also purple, lilac, yellow highlights on the hair. American highlighting provides not only bright and contrasting tones, stains are also made using soft color shades.
Highlighting on dark hair of medium length in the Venetian style is popular. In the photo you can see that the hair becomes radiant and luxurious. The technique of its implementation is very similar to California highlighting, but the difference is that the Venetian technique was created for coloring dark curls and creates the effect of strands burned out in the sun.
The procedure consists in applying brightening preparations for 2-3 tones of the drug on the curls without separating them from the entire hair volume, which contributes to a smooth transition from artificial color to natural.
French blonding is one of the gentle types of highlighting, suitable for brown-haired and fair-haired women. On dark curls, the effect will be negligible. Professionals use golden, light brown and caramel tones when staining.
French highlighting has the following characteristics:
- absolutely safe, contains wax;
- maintains hair structure;
- curls are painted evenly without contrasting jumps.
It can be performed on the entire length of the strands or in zones.
Highlighting in Brazilian is to lighten the strands that will appear burned out. The painting technology is quite complicated, because it is necessary to choose the right coloring substances and apply alternately in several stages.
Brazilian highlighting is performed as follows:
- To get warm shades of honey, beige or cognac curls lighten by 5 tones.
- Then they make tinting of the colored strands with dark paint, while a darker color should be obtained at the roots than at the ends. In the process, from 2 to 6 shades are used.
Black curls emphasize the depth of the hairstyle, its distinctiveness and volume, as well as frame the oval of the face and distinguish its cheekbones. For visual reduction of age, chocolate tones are used on narrow or wide strands.
Reddish colors look good both on their own and in combination with black. There are other, but not so fashionable shades for highlighting. The main thing is to choose them in accordance with your fantasies and not be afraid of experiments.
Ombre is characterized by a soft or sharp transition of colors in the vertical direction, most often from dark to light. Apply 2 tones, sometimes use a third – transitional. Looks harmoniously on artificially clarified blondes who want to return to their hair color. Creates the effect of burned-out ends.
- contributes to the revitalization of hairstyles in a gentle way;
- You can not visit the hairdresser for up to 3 months;
- Suitable for any haircuts .
Balayazh – highlighting by zones. The technique consists in lightening some parts of the hair, for example, the back of the head or temporal zone.
Looks good on long haircuts and short with torn ends. This gentle procedure without ammonia is suitable for both brunettes and fair-haired girls.
Shatush – tinting with a brush of individual strands without separating them from the remaining mass of hair. It differs in smooth transitions from darker roots to lightened tips.
Suitable for young ladies with any color of curls.
You only need to successfully choose the shade of the blond.
Bronding – involves a combination of two colors: blond and brown. Apply several close tones of the golden-chocolate palette with a small addition of light shades.
When bronzing, clarified curls can differ by 2-3 tones. Curls are painted evenly at a small distance from the roots and with intense lightening at the crown to give the effect of burnt strands.
Coloring is called dyeing curls in different tones. It is partial or complete. The technology provides for the coloring of hair in contrasting shades relative to the natural color. To obtain the desired result, apply colors darker or lighter than the original.
When coloring, you can freely work with both blond and previously highlighted hair.
The process involves the use of different shades of dyes.
It has its advantages:
- natural color shimmers and “comes to life”;
- long curls create a smooth color transition;
- hair volume increases;
- gray hair hides;
- the shade of colored curls changes depending on the lighting.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Trendy colors and shades
Natural shades are currently trendy. A game of colors is very popular, allowing you to emphasize the natural look of hair. It is advisable to determine which color scheme is suitable for the face: cold or warm, and select tones based on this.
The best result will be obtained when using shades in the range of 2-3 tones of the same color scheme. A great solution would be chocolate, light brown, coffee, copper, wheat or chestnut tones.
To express a bright personality, highlighting is used using contrasting colors, for example:
- lilac, sand and coffee;
- blue and platinum;
- purple and orange;
- dark chocolate and golden wheat;
- eggplant and pink;
- gray and turquoise.
How to make highlighting at home
A lady with basic hair coloring skills can perform highlighting on her own.
To make the procedure at home, you need to prepare the following items:
- latex gloves;
- wooden comb;
- brush for painting;
- glass container for mixing paint;
- brightening mixture or powder;
- oxidizing composition;
- foil or a special hat with a hook;
- cotton wool.
If highlighting is done without outside help, then you need to sit between a pair of large mirrors. This will create excellent visibility from the rear and front. To get glare on strands of any size, you can use a toothbrush instead of a brush. Masters recommend dividing hair into 12 segments for convenient processing. Then you need to quickly apply bristle paint on selected curls.
Cotton swabs are placed under the bottom of the tinted parts to protect the remaining strands from paint. When staining overgrown roots, the mixture is applied only to them. At the end of the procedure, the hair is thoroughly rinsed with running water and caring formulations are applied.
With a hat
The easiest way that even beginners can do on their own. It is advisable that the hair be no longer than 5’9 inch.
You can make this accessory yourself from a rubber swimming cap. For this, holes with a diameter of 0. 2 – 0’4 inch are evenly cut through it.
Painting technique step by step:
- cover your shoulders with old clothes or a cape;
- put on a hat;
- with a thin handle from the comb, randomly pull out the strands from the slots (their width and quantity depend on the desired effect);
- to cover curls with paint;
- wait 15-45 minutes;
- without removing the cap, wash the clarified strands;
- then wash your hair and apply balm.
Highlighting on dark hair of medium length is easily performed using foil. The photo clearly shows that such a process is very simple.
Methodology step by step:
- Throw a cloak over your shoulders.
- If you use food foil, it is advisable to cut it into cantics 9’8 inch longer than the hair. The end of each piece must be turned inward by 0. 2 – 0’4 inch. This fold prevents the dye from flowing out onto the scalp and into nearby strands.
- Prepare a lightening composition.
- Divide hair into zones. Pin each of them with a clip.
- Using a comb, highlight the middle strand.
- Slip a strip of foil over it. The pocket should be located at the base of the hair.
- Apply a coloring composition.
- Fold the foil in half or cover the hair with another length.
- Pull back 0’8 inch and color the next strand.
- Thus treat all hair.
- Wait 30 minutes, rinse with water.
- Remove the foil, wash your hair with shampoo and allow to dry naturally.
If you do highlighting manually, then lightening paint must be applied to washed slightly damp hair. The head must be bent down and manually apply evenly the brightening composition to the selected strands of hair. Hold for a while and wash with shampoo.
If you do tinting with a comb, it is advisable to apply the paint to dry unwashed hair. First, the hair is thoroughly combed, then they take a comb with rare teeth, cover it with a brightener and easily comb through the hair with one motion. Withstand the necessary time and rinse off in the usual way. The minus of the technique is that the strands are colored unevenly.
They produce special nozzles that allow you to effectively do such procedures.
Highlighting on medium-length dark hair is suitable for almost all girls. You can safely conduct experiments in any style and use a variety of shades. In the photo you can see options with lightening or darkening strands, bright contrasting effects.
The average length of the hairstyle is convenient in that you can apply dyes in different ways: with a hat, foil, manual method. In any case, the hair will become more voluminous, shiny, vibrant and will change the look for the better.
Video on highlighting on medium-length dark hair
How highlighting on dark hair is performed, find out in the video clip:
How Venetian highlighting is done, find out in the video clip: