The real scourge of civilization of the 21st century is a sedentary lifestyle. The distortion of posture, systematic back pain, the development of chronic diseases against the background of stagnation of salts between the vertebrae – these are just a small part of the problems that arise due to the lack of daily physical discharge.
To maintain health, a person needs to exercise regularly. Yoga can quickly and effectively solve problems for the back and spine.
- Causes of Back Pain
- Yoga Features for the Back and Spine
- Class performance
- Indications for implementation
- General recommendations
- A simple set of exercises
- Asanas back treatment
- Vietnamese yoga
- Yoga classes with intervertebral hernia
- Doctors opinions
- Patient Reviews
- Video: Yoga for the back
Causes of Back Pain
Symptoms of pain in the lower back and back are very diverse. Most often, people are concerned about cramping, tingling, sensations similar to muscle strain. Slightly less often there is a cutting, baking pain, which is sudden, episodic in nature.
Any type of pain is caused by a number of reasons:
- The development of diseases of the vertebral divisions. The catalysts are osteochondrosis, the presence of a hernia, scoliosis and other curvature of the spine.
- Often patients suffer from osteoarthritis and protrusion. They arise from prolonged sitting.
- Disorders of the tissue of the spinal muscles. They receive the largest share of the load with a sedentary lifestyle.
- The defeat of the lower back under the influence of diseases of an infectious nature.
- Inflammation of the abdominal cavity and pelvic organs. This type of pain is accompanied by unpleasant sensations in the lumbar.
- Postural curvature combined with being overweight. This provokes an uneven distribution of the load exerted on the bone, as a result of which the patient experiences uncomfortable sensations.
The pain passes to the legs, buttocks. Sometimes the reason is an abnormal load or severe hypothermia. The main manifestation of discomfort occurs when leaning forward. The pain disappears when you return to the starting position.
Yoga Features for the Back and Spine
The main characteristic of this type of physical activity is the maximum concentration of one’s attention and willpower on maintaining a stable position in a particular asana. The poses of the complex allow you to strengthen and rejuvenate the core of the whole body, stretch the figure, make it toned, healthy and beautiful.
By systematically performing the exercises, a person gradually learns to achieve relaxation of almost all the muscles of the body, as if plunging into sleep, while being conscious.
In addition, arterial and blood pressure improves, the body gradually gains more and more flexibility and plasticity. One of the most important features of yoga is the harmonious and natural removal of excess salts from the human body. As a result, the practitioner obtains a healthy and strong body, even despite the daily sedentary lifestyle.
The constant practice of yoga has a healing effect not only on the back and spine, but also on the whole body of the patient as a whole. Surgeons often prescribe such physical courses to patients, mainly as part of the treatment of diseases of the endocrine system and gynecological pathologies.
Yoga for the back and spine perfectly helps to cope with such vital functions that the body performs:
- Fast and timely removal of toxins.
- Improving the coordination of movements and work of the musculoskeletal system.
- Maintaining the health of the respiratory, genitourinary, renal, cardiovascular systems.
During the course, the tone of the legs, muscles of the upper and lower abs improves. The gluteal muscles acquire volume and elasticity.
Indications for implementation
Yoga will be useful both for healthy and physically fully developed people, and for people suffering from certain diseases. Immediately it is worth stipulating that before performing the exercises, it is worth consulting with your doctor.
First of all, asanas for the dorsal are shown to such people:
- Patients suffering from curvature of the vertebrae. These diseases include scoliosis, osteochondrosis, arthrosis, and a herniated disc.
- Patients suffering from prolonged psychological stress. Yoga classes help you relax, tune in a positive mood and increase the level of endorphin in the blood.
Yoga for the back and spine is practiced in a complex to combat chronic insomnia. Physical exercises exerted during the lesson allow you to relax the muscles, get rid of tension, overcome unpleasant pulling sensations both in the back and in other parts of the body.
Despite all its advantages, exercise complexes are not suitable for all people. Contraindications to yoga are divided into two categories – temporary and permanent.
There are times when yoga classes for the back and spine are constantly contraindicated. This usually applies to any set of exercises and is associated with certain physiological injuries and pathologies, both congenital and acquired.
|Any heart disease. Defects of the cardiovascular system – one of the most serious problems of the human body, in which you need to be especially careful to give the body any kind of load.||Colds, especially those accompanied by fever.|
|Mental disorders are a serious hindrance. Exercise can worsen a patient’s morale if his psyche was initially unstable.||Recovery period after surgery.|
|Oncological diseases. Before starting yoga classes, the patient should regularly attend consultations of the attending physician, undergo examinations and carefully monitor so that the exercises do not provoke a sharp development of cancer cells.||The time of exacerbation of chronic diseases.|
|Individual pathologies, fragility of bones, characteristic of people of advanced age. If a person decides to start practicing yoga at the age of 40 years and beyond, the exercises should be selected very carefully.||A state of severe physical overwork and other temporary phenomena in which a person is not able to fully and efficiently perform exercises.|
Each case is individual. But if a person feels serious discomfort and pain in the dorsal when doing yoga, it is better to leave these exercises and choose for yourself a gentle direction in sports.
ny other sport, yoga has its own complex of subtleties that contribute to improving the technique of performing asanas.
Here is a list of tips that can significantly improve your workout efficiency:
- Since the practice of yoga implies the utmost concentration on one’s own sensations, breathing and maintaining one position of the body, one should carefully consider the choice of place of employment. It should be quiet so that nothing distracts from training.
- Correct work of the bronchi and lungs will directly affect the quality of the exercises, because shortness of breath and tachycardia will interfere with the proper performance of asanas. It is better if the person will be engaged in the fresh air. In cases where this option is not possible, the classroom should be well ventilated.
- Clothing for training also needs to be given due attention. It is optimal to choose a wide suit made of natural materials – in order not to hamper the movement.
- Ideally, if the stomach is empty during training. Optimal practice on an empty stomach. Before starting classes, you need to drink a little water, empty the contents of the bladder and, if possible, the intestines.
- Carefully monitor your breathing! It should be free, smooth and natural. If the spine is rotated incorrectly or the back is tilted, a sharp breath or, conversely, prolonged tension can serve as a catalyst for injury. Experts do not recommend holding your breath while doing yoga. Exceptions are special types of exercises.
- During classes, you can additionally perform rhythmic contraction of the muscles of the pelvis and gradually tighten the abdominal muscles to the surface of the spine.
- The diet is taken into account when compiling a complex of asanas. You should not start doing yoga about two hours after a light meal. If the meal was plentiful, you should abstain for 5 hours. The fact is that the stomach is located in the immediate vicinity of the vertebrae, so inappropriate exercise aimed at developing the back can lead to dangerous injuries of both the spine and the gastrointestinal tract.
Compliance with these simple rules will make classes effective, protect from unwanted injuries. Do not neglect them.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
A simple set of exercises
The cervical often suffers from overwork and flow. In this case, exercises on the cervical spine can be found not so much.
Here are some of the most effective (all exercises last 10 deep breaths, as smoothly as possible):
- In a standard stance, a person tilts his head, trying to reach his chest as low as possible with his chin.
- Hands are extended above the head, the yogi tries as long as possible and stretch his head up high. You need to alternate tension with relaxation, repeating the exercise 3 times.
- Accepted lying position on the stomach. The right arm extends at an angle of 90 degrees with respect to the body. The palm should be pointing up.
- From a standing position, the yogi leans forward as much as possible, while keeping the body as close to his legs as possible. Then the hands join behind and the practitioner tries to pull them up as far as possible.
- Kneeling Hands touch the toe. A practitioner tries to reach his chest with his chin as far as possible, then stretches his chin up.
Yoga for the back and spine is able to unload the entire supporting frame of a person. Next, attention should be paid to the thoracic.
Asanas will help not only effectively stretch the spine, but also eliminate problems with the respiratory system:
- Standing position. The yogi spreads his arms as smoothly and widely as possible, while at the end point he closes them behind his back. Exercise is performed on inhalation, while exhaling, the person returns to its original position.
- The previous asana is performed, but at the stage of closing the hands behind the back, you need to slowly lean forward, while trying to take your closed hands as far forward as possible. The breath is deep and free.
- Hands to the elbow are placed on the wall. A stance is adopted so that the feet are as far away as possible from the surface of the wall, and the back forms a horizontal plane. Then the head leans down. After a few deep breaths, he takes up his starting position.
- A practitioner is on his knees. He raises his left hand, bends at the elbow and winds it as low as possible, sliding along the line of the spine. At the same time, a person must form a castle from his hands, letting the opposite meet.
- Position – on all fours. The left hand stretches as far forward as possible, while the right hand with the head stretches as far as possible. After two deep breaths, the asana is performed in a different direction.
The last in the list, but far from the last in value, should be a set of exercises aimed at working with the sacro – lumbar:
- The stand is taken straight, arms are extended above the head. On exhalation, you need to bend down and touch the right leg, then return to the starting position on inhalation. Do the same with the left foot. Alternations repeat the set number of approaches.
- The yogi takes the starting position of the previous asana. On inspiration, the body should be slowly turned to the right, while exhaling – to the left.
- A practitioner lies on his stomach with his palms on the sides of his chest. On inspiration, you should raise the body up, resting on your hands. In this case, the head should be thrown back. Be sure to monitor your breathing and perform the exercise smoothly so as not to accidentally get injured.
- The right knee bends, the foot of the right foot is placed on the floor from the outside of the knee of the left foot. The latter can be straight or bent at an angle of 90 degrees. The right hand is on the floor behind the tailbone. With the left hand, the right leg is hugged, then it is slightly pulled to the thoracic. The exercise should be repeated 5 times.
- Starting position – stand on your knees and hands. From it, a person should slowly rise up in the pelvis, while trying not to tear off his feet and hands from the floor. Then the practitioner returns to the starting position. The breath should be even and measured.
Asanas back treatment
There is a set of effective asanas for the back.
It is better to start its execution strictly according to the list, gradually moving from easy to complex:
- Locust Pose, or Asalas of Shalabhasana . Its features – strengthening of the spinal section, work on the muscles of the press. Moreover, the exercise is in a low-risk group for injuries to the spine. The execution must be done while lying on the back, pulling the chest up, and the stomach, as it were, pressing it to the rug. In this case, the buttocks and legs should rest firmly on the floor.
- Pose of a dog with a raised face – Urdha Shvanasana. It contributes to the effective disclosure of the pectoral muscles, arms, and shoulder body. Perfectly contributes to the adjustment of posture. From the supine position, the practitioner should bend as much as possible in the back with the extension of the arms. In this case, you must stretch your nose up and straight. Do not forget about measured deep breathing.
- The position of a camel or Ushtrasan. The main characteristic is a tonic effect on the whole organism, in particular, unloading of the median vertebrae and the thoracic. Yoga is necessary, kneeling, to bend gently and fix the position, touching the feet with your hands.
- The position of the bow, it is also the standard Dhanuransana . The spine is stretched in it, salt stagnation is eliminated. By its execution, it resembles the previous one, but the movement is no longer on the knees, but from the lying position on the stomach, while the hands are fixed on the feet at the beginning of the exercise.
- The bridge position is Urdhava Dhanuransana . Its feature is the lengthening of the front side of the body and the active study of the entire spine as a whole. In fact, this is an ordinary children’s bridge, only performed very smoothly, taking into account the characteristics of the respiratory gymnastics of yogis.
Already after a couple of months of constant practice, you can impress others with a truly royal posture. In addition, many health problems and well-being will disappear.
There is a very effective and effective set of yoga exercises for solving back problems – Zyongshin, or the Vietnamese version.
Yoga of this variety is intended exclusively for the treatment of the back and spine. A distinctive feature is the performance of all exercises in a lying position. In this case, the system has its own breathing characteristics, divided into 4 phases.
Here are the basic exercises:
- The practitioner actively presses his shoulder blades and feet to the floor, while trying to bend as much as possible in the spine. It takes 20 seconds to stay in this state, while it is necessary to sway slightly from side to side and breathe measuredly.
- The second exercise is very similar to the first, but now it is also necessary to use the elbows, resting them on the floor. In this case, the abdomen must be directed downward, and the spine should be slowly directed in the opposite direction, that is, upward.
- The yogi performs a simple butterfly, spreading his knees as far as possible to the sides, but lying.
- It is necessary to smoothly raise straight legs to the ceiling, then just as slowly lower them behind your head. The result is a twisted posture that stretches the vertebrae perfectly.
- Now you need to raise your knees to the sides, while trying to raise the trail up on his toes and push the pelvis forward. But do not “go overboard” – you can easily lose your balance and get injured.
The complex is extremely useful and suitable for almost all age categories. The time for its implementation is relatively less than in other complexes of asanas.
Yoga classes with intervertebral hernia
A hernia between the vertebrae is formed with a systematic uneven load on the of the intervertebral fibrous ring, which provokes a rupture of its membrane, and a part of the gelatinous nucleus comes out.
Yoga for the back and spine makes it possible to get rid of this disease, but classes must be combined with the mandatory consultations of the surgeon. The main features of the complex for patients with hernia are the use of only asanas that maximize the spinal vertebra.
It is necessary to minimize the load exerted on the back. The exercises are performed as smoothly as possible. The patient must listen very carefully to his body, at the first pain you need to get out of position.
Here are some recommendations for implementation:
- Doing yoga is necessary only in the absence of pain. Sports with exacerbations of the disease can lead to disastrous consequences.
- Asanas are more effective if the yogi resorts to them in the early morning or late evening.
- No need to overwork.
- After class, you need to try to take the most relaxed posture, and spend some time in it.
- On a full stomach, training is strictly prohibited.
The generalized opinion of doctors about yoga for the back and spine is as follows:
- Asanas are a great way to prevent back diseases and ease their course. A correctly selected complex and responsible execution of exercises can relieve the ailment.
- Therapy should consist of several treatment methods. Yoga must be combined with the medication prescribed by the surgeon. Do not forget about therapeutic massage.
- It must be borne in mind that muscle tension can both correct an existing problem and exacerbate it. Everything must be approached wisely, with the support of a specialist.
People on the Internet, for the most part, are positive about yoga. For them, this is a whole philosophy of life. Asanas helped many of them receive the long-awaited relief, getting rid of chronic back pain. But do not forget that healing is a complex and lengthy process.
Yoga practitioners advise to be responsible for their health:
- A set of asanas to discuss with the doctor.
- Perform exercises systematically.
- Do not overwork.
- Eat properly and regularly.
- Combine sports with prescribed medication.
- Adjust your lifestyle and daily routine.
Back pain is a debilitating and painful phenomenon, which cannot be delayed with treatment. Performing all these simple tips, you can relatively quickly correct yoga using yoga. The back and spine will quickly gain former flexibility, and diseases of the spinal section can be forgotten.
Video: Yoga for the back
Getting rid of back pain in 30 minutes: