Such a cosmetic defect, such as dark circles or swelling under the eyes, can become a cause for excitement, since it is a consequence of a violation of the healthy balance of the human body. The reasons are found and eliminated only by the doctor through adequate treatment.
- What is swelling
- What diseases can cause swelling under the eyes
- Causes of puffiness under the eyes of women
- Causes of puffiness under the eyes in men
- Causes of puffiness under the eyes in children
- Pathological causes of bags and edema. Edema during pregnancy
- Edema during pregnancy
- Swelling with a herniated disc
- Edema in heart disease
- Edema in kidney disease
- Edema with liver disease
- Edema with endocrine pathologies
- Edema with inflammation of the lacrimal glands
- Swelling with Vitamin B5 Deficiency
- Edema with allergies
- Genetic causes of edema
- Physiological causes of swelling
- Bad habits bags
- Bags after cosmetic procedures
- Swelling from UV and stress
- Bags of excess body salt
- Swelling from age
- Swelling on one side
- Methods for diagnosing disorders in the body
- Treatment of eyelid swelling
- Treatment of inflammatory swelling
- Treatment of puffiness from nephrological diseases
- Allergic Edema Treatment
- Compresses and poultices on the skin around the eyes
- Masks and creams for bags under the eyes
- Ice and frozen vegetables from swelling under the eyes
- Diet and a healthy lifestyle as a remedy for edema under the eyes
- How to properly care for the skin around the eyes so that there is no swelling
- Prevention of bags under the eyes
- Video on the topic: swelling under the eyes – causes and treatment
What is swelling
The swelling that occurs under the eyes and results from the accumulation of fluid in the subcutaneous tissue is called edema.
Accumulating liquid includes in its composition:
- White blood cells;
What diseases can cause swelling under the eyes
The following diseases can cause swelling circles under the eyes:
- Edema that occurs with endocrine disorders;
- Disruption of the cardiovascular system;
- Kidney problems;
- Liver disease
- Various eye diseases;
- Inflammatory processes;
- Hernia of the intervertebral section;
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Face fitness for lifting the face contour, rejuvenation, muscle tone. Master class from Elena Karkukli
Causes of puffiness under the eyes of women
Women may develop swelling under the eyes for the following reasons:
- Inconvenient position of the head during sleep;
- Poorly washed cosmetics;
- Insufficient or excessive amount of fluid that enters the body;
- Various stressful situations;
- Lack of sleep and fresh air;
- A slight violation in the diet: an overabundance of spices, salts, alcohol;
- Improper ovarian function
- Botox injections;
- Taking contraceptives;
- Changes in the phase of the monthly cycle.
Causes of puffiness under the eyes in men
- Alcohol abuse;
- The use of cigarettes and drugs;
- Nocturnal lifestyle and lack of sleep;
- Sedentary lifestyle;
- Improper nutrition;
- Age-related edema under the eyes.
Causes of puffiness under the eyes in children
Edema in children:
- Genetic predisposition;
- Allergic reaction;
- Teething period;
- Inflammatory processes of the ear / throat / nose;
- Hormonal disbalance;
- Long stay of the child near the TV / tablet / computer;
- Increased intracranial pressure;
- Opening eyes in infants.
Pathological causes of bags and edema. Edema during pregnancy
- Sinusitis and sinusitis;
- Inflammation of the lacrimal ducts and facial nerve;
- Ptosis, barley, scleritis – eye diseases;
- Influenza and SARS;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Hepatitis of all groups;
- Hepatic and renal tumor processes;
- Autoimmune thyroid disease lymphocytic thyroidin;
- Bazedova’s disease;
- Thyroid hypothyroidism;
- Trichinosis – a disease that affects people who eat meat from infected animals (beef and pork);
- Osteochondrosis and herniation of the intervertebral disc;
- Heart failure;
- Heart disease;
Edema during pregnancy
During pregnancy, edema often appears under the eyes. The causes and treatment of edema are established by specialists in the field of gynecology, cardiology or nephrology.
A frequent phenomenon among pregnant women is late toxicosis – gestosis. It can occur for the following reasons:
- Pregnancy up to 17 years;
- Genetic predisposition of a pregnant woman;
- Underdeveloped placenta of the mother;
- Impaired blood circulation and cerebral cortex;
- Pathology of the endocrine system.
Heart problems can also cause swelling of the eyelids in pregnant women. This is due to excessive stress on the heart system. Most often, patients who had heart problems before pregnancy suffer from heart disease. But also at risk are women who, prior to pregnancy, have significantly gained weight or received severe stress.
Swelling of the eyelids in pregnant women can cause illness or excessive kidney stress.
This occurs for the following reasons:
- In the first trimester, slight swelling around the eyes occurs due to hormonal changes in the body, which leads to relaxation of some internal organs. The reason for this phenomenon is an increased level of progesterone. Another reason that does not require immediate medical attention is an overload of the kidneys. During the period of gestation, they work for two.
- In the second and third trimesters, slight swelling is possible due to the size of the enlarging uterus. It presses on the bladder, resulting in the formation of stagnant urine.
- If a woman before pregnancy suffered from pyelonephritis or nephritis, relapses are possible.
- Influenza, infectious diseases of the genitourinary system, various complications after infectious and catarrhal diseases lead to edema of the eyelids during pregnancy.
Swelling with a herniated disc
With a hernia of the intervertebral disc, the first minor symptom is swelling under the eyes. The causes and treatment of which are often ignored by patients. This is due to a deterioration in the blood supply to the brain. Disks are displaced, and a hernia is formed, and the spinal artery, which supplies blood to all parts of the brain, is compressed, which leads to the formation of edema.
Edema in heart disease
With heart diseases, blood circulation is disturbed and stagnation of moisture forms, which leads to the formation of minor edema in the early stages.
This process is caused by damage to the tissue of the heart muscle, which is possible for the following reasons:
- Heart attack;
- Inflammation of the internal organs;
- High blood pressure for a long time;
As a result of this, cardiac output decreases and fluid stagnation
occurs in the intercellular space.
Edema in kidney disease
Renal edema appears under the eyes of patients with organ diseases that are caused by pathological mechanisms. The reasons, as well as treatment, are established by a nephrologist and a urologist.
Swelling is formed when the blood is absent:
- Protein – protein starvation occurs in the body;
- Chlorine ions;
- Sodium ions.
Puffiness appears in the evening, and in the morning it subsides. It begins with the eyelids, gradually spreading to the feet.
Edema with liver disease
Edema caused by liver disease appears not only under the eyes, but also on the legs, arms, and in men this is the area of the scrotum. If conservative treatment does not give positive dynamics, the patient is prescribed surgery.
Reasons for hepatic reporting:
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- Tumor processes;
- Violation of the biliary tract;
- Hepatitis A, B, C.
If, in addition to the eyelids, fluid accumulation forms in the abdominal cavity, such swelling is called ascites or dropsy of the abdomen. Basically, this condition is one of the complications of cirrhosis of the liver or cancer.
Edema with endocrine pathologies
With endocrine pathologies and hormonal disorders, edema under the eyes often appears in the human body.
|Disease||Causes of swelling||Treatment|
|Hypothyroidism||Hormone change||The appointment of artificial hormonal drugs.|
|Autoimmune thyroiditis||Advanced hypothyroidism||Prescribing drugs that restore the cardiovascular function of the body. All drugs are selected individually.|
Edema with inflammation of the lacrimal glands
Causes of edema of the lacrimal glands:
- Age-related hormonal changes. In this process, the production of tear fluid is reduced, which leads to the formation of edema;
- For diseases of mumps, flu and scarlet fever;
- In the chronic course of tuberculosis and syphilis;
- With diseases of the circulatory system.
Swelling with Vitamin B5 Deficiency
The adrenal glands produce vital hormones – glucocorticoids. Their lack in the body leads not only to swelling under the eyes, but also to ongoing headaches, insomnia and frequent fatigue of the body. To fill the deficiency of vitamin B5, therapy with brewer’s yeast and calcium pantothenate will help.
Also, patients suffering from pantothenic acid deficiency are recommended to include foods such as:
- All kinds of green vegetables;
- Buckwheat and oatmeal;
- Milk products;
- Chicken eggs;
- Peanuts, hazelnuts and walnuts.
Edema with allergies
Puffiness in the eyes with allergies occurs due to contact of the allergen with the mucous membrane of the eye or eyelid.
- Washing powders and other household chemicals;
- Cat hair and hair of some dog breeds: Chow Chow, Spitz, Pekingese. A reaction to other breeds is also possible, but it is these dogs that are recognized by WHO as the most allergenic;
- Bacterial and infectious processes;
- Cosmetics and perfumes;
- Some types of berries, fruits and vegetables;
- Honey and nuts;
- Allergy to lactose (milk protein);
- Plants and flowers;
- Antibiotics and vaccines;
- To ultraviolet: both natural (sun) and artificial (solarium);
- Bee and mosquito bites, as well as fleas and bugs.
Genetic causes of edema
If the parents noticed that the child has swelling under the eyes, you do not need to immediately sound the alarm. First you need to look at the eyes of parents and grandparents. Usually, such swelling is inherited and accompanies a person all his life.
Sometimes a patient with such swelling is accompanied by symptoms such as:
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Sharp pains in the abdominal cavity.
Then a detailed study of the hereditary history through genetic studies of the patient’s blood is necessary. If, after research, a deficiency of C1-inhibitor was determined, the patient is diagnosed with hereditary angioedema, and special treatment is prescribed.
Physiological causes of swelling
There are such edemas that do not require visiting specialists:
- An increase in the amount of adipose tissue due to weight gain;
- Lack of sleep;
- Overvoltage due to prolonged work of the eyes (reading, watching TV and working behind a computer monitor);
- Tears before bedtime;
- Improperly selected cosmetics;
- Improper diet and excess salt.
Bad habits bags
Bad habits are a common cause of bags under the eyes. It is easy to distinguish them, thanks to th
e accompanying symptoms.
After the abuse of alcohol and cigarettes in addition to bags under the eyes appear:
- Painful headaches;
- Nausea, vomiting is possible;
- Dehydration of the body.
After the use of drugs, bags that do not pass under the eyes from prolonged wakefulness or drowsiness appear.
Bags after cosmetic procedures
The causes of bags under the eyes after a cosmetic procedure:
- After Botox injections, swelling around the eyes occurs in 99% of patients. This is due to temporary paralysis of the facial muscles, as a result of which stagnation of lymph occurs in the intercellular space, forming bags;
- Biorevitalization can also provoke bags under the eyes. A similar problem arises in the patient due to the negligence of the medical worker who did the procedure, or through the fault of the patient who did not give all the data on the characteristics of his own body;
- After a circular facelift with gold threads due to insufficient qualifications of a cosmetologist or in violation of the technology.
Swelling from UV and stress
Direct ultraviolet rays can cause a reaction in the form of swelling. There is no exact reason why the human body rejected the sun’s rays in medicine.
There are hypotheses of this pathology:
- Immunity violation;
- The reaction of the mucous membranes to ultraviolet, as a toxic factor;
- Height above sea level. The higher the person is, the stronger the reaction to rays occurs.
Also, patients often pay attention to edema circles under the eyes after severe stressful situations. Such edema is called carbohydrate-insulin. They appear due to overeating of sweets after suffering nervous excitement. Sweet provokes the release of insulin into the blood, which leads to swelling under the eyes.
Bags of excess body salt
After the abuse of products containing table salt (and this is almost all the products that are on the shelves of stores), a person overcomes thirst. Together with salt, elements necessary for vital activity fall into the blood: sodium chloride. But an increased concentration of this substance leads to metabolic disorders.
The kidneys do not cope with the processing of fluid, because after salty food, a person drinks in excess of the norm, and part of the water is not excreted, but accumulates in the cells. This is the root cause of edema of the eyelids under the eyes.
Swelling from age
It is rare to see older people without bags under their eyes. These are not edema in which the liquid is contained, but the properties of subcutaneous fat. The skin on the eyelids is the most delicate on the entire human body, and with age, it squanders the qualities of elasticity and firmness. This attracts bags of eyelids under the eyes.
Swelling on one side
Unilateral edema of the century is possible for the following reasons:
- Dental problems associated with tooth root;
- Unilateral inflammation of the maxillary sinuses;
- Result of traumatic brain injury;
- Fracture or severe bruising of the nose;
- Not washed off mascara.
Methods for diagnosing disorders in the body
Diagnosis of some diseases that cause swelling:
- Swelling with hypothyroidism is diagnosed by donating blood to the hormones TSH free T4 hormone. If one of them is elevated, hypothyroidism is diagnosed and the necessary treatment is prescribed;
- If the doctor has a suspicion of swelling caused by diabetes mellitus, the patient needs to give blood on an empty stomach to determine glucose in arterial blood. If the analysis showed a positive result, the patient is sent for delivery of the C-peptide;
- In inflammatory processes associated with eye diseases, in addition to swelling, there are symptoms such as itching, redness, purulent discharge from the affected eye;
- Cardiac edema is diagnosed using ECG, ultrasound of the heart, blood and urine tests and pressure measurements. Such edema appears mainly in the evening;
- If there is a suspicion of renal edema, patients are referred for a general blood and urine test, functional renal tests, and ultrasound of the kidneys;
- If hepatitis of all groups is suspected, the patient donates blood to this virus and urine.
Treatment of eyelid swelling
Treatment of inflammatory swelling
With inflammatory edema under the eyes, the following treatment regimen is used:
- Anti-inflammatory eye ointments and drops are prescribed;
Treatment of puffiness from nephrological diseases
With such edema, the following treatment regimen is prescribed:
- Moderate sports;
- Diet food;
- Scheduled use of drugs;
Allergic Edema Treatment
The treatment process includes:
- Elimination of allergen;
- Activated carbon will help remove the allergen from the body;
- The use of antihistamines.
To eliminate and prevent puffiness under the eyes, a therapeutic massage with cream is made by point movements in the morning and evening before bedtime. The fingertips follow from the temples along the lower base of the eyelid. Then pass the fingers along the upper eyelid. The procedure is preferably performed within 5-10 minutes daily.
Compresses and poultices on the skin around the eyes
|Compress of cornflowers||
||Apply a tampon to the eyes for 15-20 minutes.|
|Tea Compress||Used tea bags or tea leaves wrapped in gauze.||Apply to eyes for 20-25 minutes.|
|Cabbage compress||Finely chopped fresh or sour cabbage, wrapped in gauze.||Apply to the edematous eyelids 4-5 times a day for 15-20 minutes.|
Masks and creams for bags under the eyes
|From bruises and bags under the eyes||Chopped raw potatoes are mixed with 5 g of grape oil.||
|Parsley mask||Chopped parsley is mixed with 20-25 g of sour cream.||The mask is applied to the eyes for 15-20 minutes.|
|Oatmeal mask||At night, pour oatmeal with hot milk.||In the morning, apply the product to the eyes for 30-35 minutes.|
Creams for bags under the eyes:
- Erborian Ginseng Infusion Total Eye;
- Multi Correction Anti-Age Eye RoC;
- Zinc ointment.
Ice and frozen vegetables from swelling under the eyes
Methods of exposure and effectiveness of the use of ice and frozen fruits:
- The surface pores and capillaries are contracted;
- There is a rush of blood and cell renewal;
- The elasticity of the skin increases, and wrinkles are smoothed out;
- There is swelling and bruising under the eyes.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Facial massage according to the Japanese doctor Asahi Zogan.
Diet and a healthy lifestyle as a remedy for edema under the eyes
Special diet includes:
- Oat and buckwheat;
- Dairy products;
- Starch-free vegetables;
- Berries and fruits;
- Boiled fish and poultry.
All dishes and cereals are cooked in water, without adding salt. The patient’s sleep lasts for 8-10 hours. Meals strictly by the hour, in small portions.
How to properly care for the skin around the eyes so that there is no swelling
Skin care for edema:
- Daily moisturizing with special creams;
- At least 1 time per month is recommended to visit a beautician;
- The use of special lifting creams;
- The use of creams from exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
Prevention of bags under the eyes
For prevention, you need:
- Adhere to the daily routine;
- Eat a balanced diet;
- Do not abuse salts / sweets / spices / spicy foods;
- To refuse from bad habits;
- Get enough sleep;
- Go in for sports or exercise therapy:
- Correctly apply makeup;
- Do not neglect walks in the fresh air.
Subject to the above factors, edema under the eyes will decrease or disappear. If the causes of their occurrence are a disease, timely diagnosis and proper treatment will help eliminate this cause.
Video on the topic: swelling under the eyes – causes and treatment
Why do bags under the eyes and treatment methods appear:
Causes of edema under the eyes, methods of control: