In cosmetology, the laser is widely used for many purposes: from surface exfoliation of facial skin to deep peeling, from lifting procedures to removing scars, correction of impaired skin pigmentation and treatment of vascular pathologies.
- What lasers are used in cosmetology. Principle of their action
- What facial procedures are performed with laser devices Indications
- Advantages and disadvantages of laser exposure to the skin of the face
- At what age are laser procedures recommended
- Side effects
- How are laser therapy sessions for the face
- Laser facial rejuvenation
- Laser treatment for acne, post-acne, scars and scars
- Laser removal of tattoos and age spots
- Laser hair removal
- How painful are the procedures
- Skin Care After Treatment
- The likelihood of undesirable consequences
- Are repeat sessions and treatment courses needed
- Where is it safe to undergo cosmetic procedures for the face
- Price range for laser cosmetology services
- Face Laser Video
What lasers are used in cosmetology. Principle of their action
Laser for face in cosmetology is used for non-surgical facelift and removal of defects on the skin. For the procedure, a laser apparatus is used, the purpose of which is to influence the epidermal cells with the help of a directed thin beam of induced radiation of a certain light range.
Depending on the purpose of the procedure and the type of skin of the client, the cosmetologist selects a continuous or pulsed laser.
The general principle of its action is that light affects only the substance that is capable of absorbing it. Chromophores are responsible for the absorption of light waves in skin tissues – biological objects that are contained in the epidermis and differ in light absorption spectrum.
What facial procedures are performed with laser devices Indications
Important characteristics of a medical laser are the length and power of the light wave and the type of working medium that generates the photon flux, as well as indications for use.
In this regard, the lasers that are used in cosmetology are divided into several groups:
|Laser name||Type of work environment||Wavelength||Chromophores||Appointment|
|CO2 (carbon dioxide)||Gas (a mixture of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, helium)||10600 nm||Water||Radical rejuvenation of the skin, removal of neoplasms (papillomas, xanthomas and others), scars and scars, stretch marks.|
|Neodymium Nd||Solid state||1064 nm||Melanin, hemoglobin||Photorejuvenation, laser hair removal, treatment of vascular diseases.|
|Erbium Er||Solid state||2940 nm||Water||Grinding the skin, laser photorejuvenation of the face, removal of benign tumors.|
|Ruby||Solid state||694 nm||Melanin and age spots in black and blue||Laser hair removal, removal of pigmentations and tattoos.|
|Green||Gas (copper vapor)||520-532 nm||Melanin||Treatment of age spots on the face, freckles, vascular networks, tumors, hemangiomas, wine stains, benign formations on the skin and mucous membranes.|
|Yellow||Gas||577 nm||Hemoglobin||Treatment of vascular pattern of any size and at any depth, rosacea and vascular moles.|
|Thulium||Solid state||1940-1470 nm||Water||Delicate surgical cutting with coagulation of blood vessels.|
|Photon||Solid state||Water||Skin rejuvenation at all levels (superficial, deep, fractional), facelift, superficial cold peeling, hot laser peeling, resurfacing of scar tissue, removal of neoplasms, treatment of acne, post-acne.|
|Alexandrite||Solid state||755 nm||Melanin, dark pigmentation||Removing tattoo in different colors.|
|Sapphire||Diode||700-1100 nm||Melanin, hemoglobin||Laser hair removal, facial photorejuvenation, treatment of varicose veins.|
|Dye laser||Liquid (organic compounds of intense color in a liquid medium)||322-1260 nm||Hemoglobin, melanin||Treatment of vascular diseases, seborrheic keratosis, nevus, freckles, lentigo, hemangiomas, wine and birthmarks, traumatic and hypertrophic scars.|
|Excimer||Gas (a mixture of xenon, krypton, argon)||190-308 nm||Melanin, hemoglobin||Treatment of vitiligo with severe repigmentation and chronic psoriasis.|
|Fractional||Gas (a mixture of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, helium)||10600 nm||Water||Elimination of wrinkles of any depth, keloid scars, scars and growths, treatment of fungal skin diseases.|
The laser beam has unique characteristics and is able to penetrate to various depths of the skin. When choosing an apparatus, the task of a cosmetologist is to determine the type of patient’s skin and determine the purpose of the cosmetic procedure.
Do not miss the most popular heading:
Hyaluronic acid in tablets. Benefits, how to take, reviews of doctors and effectiveness.
Advantages and disadvantages of laser exposure to the skin of the face
A face laser in cosmetology and a large wavelength range of a light beam are used for many purposes. First of all, the apparatus began to be used to resume the regeneration of the skin, to activate metabolic processes for the formation of new fibroplasts, which contribute to the production of collagen and elastin.
Today in many cosmetology clinics they offer a service for hardware rejuvenation of the skin of the face, hair removal of unwanted hair, treatment of vascular networks, removal of neoplasms, scars and age spots.
The advantages of using a laser in aesthetic medicine:
- An alternative to plastic surgery is non-surgical exposure without a long rehabilitation period.
- Lack of serious preparation before the procedure.
- Stimulation of the natural process of the formation of new cells due to the synthesis of collagen and elastin in the skin.
- A painless procedure, in rare cases, local anesthesia is required with the help of gels and specialized lotions.
- Short terms for obtaining a visible result (does not exceed 5-7 days).
Disadvantages of laser rejuvenation procedures:
- During the first 5 days, the skin remains dry and requires the application of moisturizers throughout the day, preferably containing hyaluronic acid.
- The cost of the procedure is an order of magnitude higher compared to other rejuvenation methods.
- The presence of burns, wounds of various origins is a contraindication to the immediate procedure.
At what age are laser procedures recommended
In adolescence from 12-14 years, children go through a period of intense puberty, which is accompanied by hair growth in intimate areas, on the face and armpits.
Despite the fact that there are no recorded results of studies on the dangers of laser radiation on a growing baby’s body, pediatricians still do not recommend laser procedures under 18 years of age. As a rule, sexual formation ends by this age and the hormonal background is stabilized.
Facial laser in cosmetology refers to the innovative technologies of modern medicine. Despite the fact that the epidermis is maximally protected, and the risk of side effects is minimal, the following contraindications to the use of laser exposure should be taken into account.
- Autoimmune disorders in the form of systemic diseases of the connective tissue, namely the skin: scleroderma, lupus erythematosus, and others.
- Malignant formations of various origin and localization, as well as precancerous condition.
- Type I and II diabetes mellitus, in which nerve endings and skin become more vulnerable and sensitive.
- Epilepsy can theoretically cause nervous tension and, as a result, lead to a seizure.
- Active tuberculosis process caused by microbial infection.
- During pregnancy and breastfeeding, laser procedures should be avoided due to pain (in the case of a low pain threshold), fear, tension, which entail negative consequences.
- Herpes virus infection and chronic infectious diseases due to weakened immunity.
- Blood diseases are a contraindication, although there is no reliable data on pathological changes in the hematopoietic and cardiovascular systems during the use of the laser.
- Age is under 18 years.
Laser procedures should be performed in a specialized clinic under the supervision of a qualified cosmetologist or dermatologist. In this case, the risk of complications in the form of tissue overheating, burns or fibrosis due to inept use of the laser apparatus is eliminated.
Laser procedures are aimed at improving the appearance of the face and body with the help of light energy, which contributes to the destruction of old cells in a defective area of the skin. Despite the fact that in cosmetology this procedure has proven itself on the positive side and has benefited many people, you should pay attention to possible side effects.
- Itching , redness, and mild swelling due to an individual skin reaction and its excessive sensitivity.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation – darkening of the treated area of the skin due to the inflammatory process – depends on the natural color of the skin or the presence of a “fresh” tan.
- Rashes, eczema, the manifestation of herpes in people prone to these reactions. Before the procedure, you must warn the doctor in advance.
- Edema and suppuration as a result of a bacterial infection, when the site of exposure is subjected to mechanical friction and combing.
- A burn of soft tissues and scars if the beautician chose the type of laser inappropriately.
The completely identical laser procedure for some people becomes a real salvation from wrinkles, age spots and acne, while others may experience side effects due to the individual characteristics of the body.
How are laser therapy sessions for the face
Procedures using laser light belong to hardware cosmetology, so they are almost painless and do not require local anesthesia. The time of the session depends on the purpose of the exposure, the area of the defective area, but, as a rule, is 30-60 minutes.
Before the procedure, the doctor cleanses the face, eliminating makeup residues, and applies an antiseptic. The client and the doctor protect the eyes with special glasses. After the procedure, a calming cream with a disinfectant composition and a cream with a sunscreen are applied to the skin.
Laser facial rejuvenation
The light beam acts on the deeper layers of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. An experienced doctor selects a device with a specific active medium and with a wavelength that can specifically affect the problem area of the skin. As a result of the rejuvenation procedure, inhibited processes of collagen and elastin production are activated.
This helps to stop the aging process of the skin, improves complexion, blood circulation, and evens out the skin texture. For face rejuvenation, neodymium and erbium laser devices are mainly used, which give a positive effect immediately after the procedure and are used in delicate areas around the eyes and mouth.
Laser treatment for acne, post-acne, scars and scars
One of the most effective laser devices for the treatment of acne and post-acne is the Photon laser, which acts directly on acne in the acute stage and eliminates redness of the inflamed areas of the skin. Pulse flashes contribute to the production of collagen, which leads to a smoothing of the skin relief and smoothing of scars.
After a number of such procedures, the skin becomes smooth and clean, as the production of sebum is reduced, and the risk of an inflammatory process is minimized.
Laser removal of tattoos and age spots
In the fight against freckles and age spots, it is best to use ruby, alexandrite and neodymium lasers. These devices are capable of generating energy with supershort flashes lasting one billionth of a second.
Lightning effect on the skin provides a painless and safe procedure. Meanwhile, the wave destroys the pigment particles.
Laser hair removal
Clinics often use innovative laser diode devices for hair removal of unwanted facial hair, which create a flash of light that penetrates directly to the hair follicle. The melanin in the follicle absorbs energy, which is converted into heat and destroys the germinal area of the hair. Thus, after exposure to hair falls out and does not grow back.
For better gliding of the device, the cosmetologist applies a small amount of gel-guide. After the procedure, it is possible to apply panthenol to reduce primary redness.
How painful are the procedures
After selecting the type of laser device, the doctor should inform the client about the possible sensations and terms of rehabilitation. To treat the skin from sunburn, scars, red moles, fresh stretch marks, bruises, acne, and tattoo removal, KTP lasers are most often used, in which a coloring substance acts as a dye – a crystal of potassium titanyl phosphate.
During the application of this laser, the client feels a slight cool blow to the skin and then tingling. In this case, painkillers are not required. Slight redness and possibly swelling pass after 2-3 days. Lasers to remove pigmentation and tattoos of all colors act on the skin instantly so that the skin does not have time to respond to heat.
But still the feeling is that they pulled the gum and hit the skin. In cases of low pain threshold, anesthetic cream is required. After the procedure, a crust forms, which peels off after 7 days.
For the treatment of deep wrinkles, obvious signs of skin aging and severe scars, the latest generation fractional lasers Fraxel, CO2, erbium laser are used. Before the procedure, the client is invited to take a sedative, anesthetic is applied to the skin, an injection of lidocaine is given. As a result of the procedure, the skin gets burned, but the healing phase is painless and lasts about 7 days.
Skin Care After Treatment
The process of recovering facial skin after laser treatment takes time and additional care.
In the first 2 weeks after exposure, it is necessary:
- observe hygiene rules to avoid infection: cleanse the skin with mild products for sensitive skin, for example, micellar gel or water, followed by the use of an alcohol-free tonic;
- apply moisturizing , soothing cosmetics: it is necessary to use moisturizing serum in an amount of 1-2 drops, then a moisturizing cream or fluid and, at the final stage, a soothing emulsion;
- apply antioxidant serums to speed up the recovery process, which contain vitamins C, E, ferulic acid;
- protect the skin from direct sunlight : before going out, even in winter, apply sunscreen with SPF to the skin.
Compliance with these simple rules for facial skin care after laser treatment will provide an early recovery, will protect against the appearance of age spots and side effects.
Laser for face in cosmetology has won a strong place among the techniques of hardware medicine. It has become an obvious alternative to traumatic plastic surgeries with a long rehabilitation period and the risk of serious complications.
The first results when rejuvenating the skin as a result of resurfacing using an erbium laser are noticeable after 1 procedure in a few hours, although the process of skin restoration can take 2 weeks. The result lasts 2 years. The duration of the laser manipulation course is set by the cosmetologist depending on the client’s problems.
For rejuvenation with minor defects, 1 procedure is enough. For the treatment of severe defects, a course of 4-6 procedures is required after 6 weeks. When removing age spots on the face, sunburns, freckles, age spots, lentigo, the first results can be observed after 2-3 procedures. The rehabilitation period and the likelihood of a defect reappearing are practically absent.
Alignment of the skin microrelief and complexion occurs due to the formation of new collagen and elastin fibers. For the treatment of defects, a course of 2-4 procedures with an interval of 4 weeks is required. In general, the regeneration processes continue after the procedure and achieve maximum effect after 3 months. For children and adolescents under 18 years of age, laser procedures are not recommended.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Plasma lifting face – what it is, how it is carried out, results, photos before and after the procedure.
The likelihood of undesirable consequences
To avoid undesirable consequences after using the laser, you should strictly follow the specific recommendations of the doctor and follow the general rules.
- avoid tanning for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after laser exposure;
- avoid visiting the sauna, pool for 2 weeks after treatment;
- do not take antipyretic and painkillers (acetylsalicylic acid, ibuprofen and preparations containing them) for 1 week before and after treatment;
- Do not apply tanning products on the skin
1 month before laser exposure;
- apply cream with SPF filter.
In case of violation of the recommendations, undesirable consequences may occur in the form of hyperpigmentation, redness and swelling.
Are repeat sessions and treatment courses needed
Rejuvenation using a carbon dioxide laser, during which the epidermal tissues are affected at a depth of 8/32 – 9/32 inch, is carried out no more than 1 time per year. The rejuvenation procedure using an erbium laser, when it is possible to adjust the depth of exposure to the epidermis, can be carried out once a year or after 2 years according to individual indicators.
The diode laser is less aggressive compared to the two lasers described above, since the light beam penetrates the integument without damaging the epidermis layer. A second course can be carried out after 2 years if necessary. A neodymium laser delicately affects the surface and middle layers of the skin, but the effect of the rejuvenation procedure lasts for 5-6 years.
Where is it safe to undergo cosmetic procedures for the face
Performing any procedures using laser devices is possible only in the clinic, where all sanitary and epidemiological requirements for such manipulations are observed. The clinic staff must have qualified cosmetologists or dermatologists.
A doctor who has undergone a special training course, as evidenced by the certificate, selects a suitable laser device with the desired wavelength and active medium so that the patient’s problem is solved in the most effective and less traumatic way.
In addition, the clinics carry out a certain number of procedures per day and there is confidence that the doctor has extensive experience and will not make mistakes.
Many clinics give a guarantee for their services and, if the desired result has not been achieved, they return the cost of the procedure in full.
Price range for laser cosmetology services
Laser procedures have firmly won their place among the leading areas of aesthetic medicine and cosmetology. Prices for laser cosmetology services depend on the purpose of the procedure, the area of the treated area and the of the country.
|City||Type of laser procedure||The time of the procedure, min||price, usd.|
– skin of the whole face
– skin around the eyes
– face and neck skin
Removal of age spots (area from 0’4 inch 2 )
Laser resurfacing, scar removal (area 0’4 – 3’5 inch)
1100 – 11000
8 000-25 000
– lip contour
Fractional laser resurfacing rejuvenation:
– whole person
Laser resurfacing of scars and scars ( 0’4 – 0’8 inch 2 )
Face and neck rejuvenation
Removal of scars and scars
|Atlanta||Removal of scars and scars
Laser pigmentation correction ( 0’4 inch 2 )
Removal of neoplasms (1 pc.)
Laser peeling of the skin of the whole face
The main advantage of using laser facial procedures in cosmetology is the receipt of a pronounced effect of healthy, radiant, smooth skin. Using the non-surgical method, it is possible to achieve significant results with minimal risks of adverse reactions and a long recovery period.
Face Laser Video
Laser facial rejuvenation, result: