After exhausting workouts, muscle pain may appear. This effect from training is familiar to both experienced athletes and beginners. Pain occurs after 24 hours and can last up to 3 days.
- Why muscles hurt after training
- The benefits and harms of muscle pain
- The mechanisms of muscle pain
- Types of pain
- Lactic acid as the main cause of pain
- Other causes of muscle pain after exercise
- Muscle pain treatment
- Muscle Pain Relief Medicines
- Muscle pain ointment after training
- Muscle pain pills
- Ways to reduce muscle pain without drugs
- Hot bath after workout
- Folk remedies
- Proper nutrition and drinking
- Rest from intense training
- Is it possible to train when the muscles are still sore after the previous training
- Video on how to deal with krepatura after training
Why muscles hurt after training
Muscle pain after exercise indicates that stress exerts results. It can form after the introduction of new exercises or an increase in the duration of a regular lesson.
Muscle pain is a part of adaptation that increases muscle strength during their regeneration and formation. Gradually, it decreases, as the muscles get used to the loads.
The benefits and harms of muscle pain
Pain after exhausting workouts can be both beneficial and harmful.
If pain occurs after strength training, it means that injuries have formed in the muscles. About 2-3 days, the muscles will recover, while forming scars, which helps to increase muscle mass. It is very important during this period to give the muscles a break to consolidate the result.
That is, it is a useful pain, which, while maintaining rest after training, increases muscle growth.
If you train too hard, not allowing the muscles to recover, then the pain occurs within 1-2 hours after the exercises. It arises from overwork, which reduces muscle growth and strength.
Muscle pain after exercise can also occur with trauma. If, when performing exercises, a sharp pain was felt, which gradually increases and a swelling appears, it is necessary to interrupt the training. These are signs of injury in which you must always go to the hospital.
Harmful pain not only reduces the effectiveness of classes, but is also dangerous to health (surgical intervention may be required).
The mechanisms of muscle pain
Muscles are made up of protein (80%), which breaks down into amino acids that nourish other organs during strength training. During classes, protein is processed ahead of time and integrity is compromised in muscle tissue. This process is called catabolism. In this case, pain and overwork appears, which warns of the need for rest. It is during rest that the muscles grow.
This is how myofibrillar muscle hypertrophy occurs, in which pain is formed. The glancing of contractile proteins (myosin and actin) appears inside the muscles, which causes contraction and mobility of the muscle ligaments, making them stronger.
Types of pain
Types of pain after exercise:
|Moderate (natural)||Formed a day after classes. Feeling of malaise and slight pain, which increases with stretching and contraction of the muscles.
The pain lasts several days, which indicate the presence of microtrauma in the muscles. There is a recovery and muscle growth.
|Retarded||It is felt 2-3 days after classes due to the large interval between workouts, when new exercises are added to the load plan, as well as for beginners.
The duration of pain is about 4 days, and for beginners up to 7 days. In this case, you need to further train, but reduce the load.
|From overtraining||Phantom pains are felt not only in the muscles, but also in the joints 2-3 hours after the load. They disappear unexpectedly, as they arise.
The pain is formed with an excessive amount of intense strength training, which is accompanied by frequent microtrauma. In this case, the muscles do not have enough time for regeneration.
|From injury||Sudden pain appears after the exercise. Strengthens with stretching muscles. In this case, redness and swelling may appear. It is necessary to interrupt the training. If symptoms persist, consult a specialist.|
Lactic acid as the main cause of pain
During strength training, glucose is broken down in the muscles. As a result, lactic acid appears, consisting of hydrogen and lactate. With a high content of lactic acid, significant pain is formed after exertion. This condition lasts up to 7 days.
During physical exertion, muscles require a lot of oxygen, which is involved in the regeneration process. During strength training, the muscles experience a tremendous load, which reduces the oxygen content. In this case, the movement of blood slows down.
With a lack of oxygen, the synthesis of adenosine triphosphoric acid begins, which leads to the formation of lactic acid. The level of this substance rises, as a result of which it accumulates, causing pain.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Laser hair removal on the face and body – how it is performed, effectiveness, photos before and after, contraindications.
Other causes of muscle pain after exercise
Muscle pain after training arises from the following reasons:
- Exhausting strength training . When the body is overloaded, muscle tissue does not have time to recover, which leads to an increase in pain, overwork, as well as to a decrease in the strength of the ligaments.
- The accumulation of metabolic products. These are mainly hydrogen and free radicals. They appear in significant numbers in beginners to play sports, especially during the first lessons.
- Classes with a large amplitude. When stretching muscle pain can not be avoided. Therefore, before performing such exercises, you need to warm up the muscles.
Injury. The appear
ance of sharp pain in case of muscle damage leads to loss of performance. Muscle fibers are not restored during rest.
Muscle pain treatment
The following recommendations should be used to treat muscle pain:
- Medicines You can use painkillers (tablets, ointments, patches, gels). Before using any pharmaceuticals, it is recommended that you consult a specialist.
- Light exercise. Improve blood flow in the muscles, providing them with oxygen. In this case, the content of lactic acid decreases.
- Massage. Improves blood flow and muscle nutrition. Relieves tension and reduces pain.
- Hot tub (bath). High temperatures improve blood flow and lower lactic acid levels.
- Healthy diet. It is necessary to include in the diet more fruits, vegetables and herbs. Their antioxidants fight radicals.
Muscle Pain Relief Medicines
Muscle pain after training is eliminated with the help of medications:
|Non-steroid drugs||Relieve inflammation, eliminate pain. They have analgesic, antipyretic properties.||Diclofenac, Nurofen, Ibuprofen|
|External preparations (ointment, cream, gel)||Eliminate pain, inflammation, swelling, improve blood flow in the muscles.||Finalgon, Viprosal, Boromentol|
|Plastic preparations||Overfatigue is prevented, protein content is increased, muscle growth is accelerated.||Riboxin, Mildronate, Methionine|
|Energy facilities||Prevent hypoxia, make up for expended resources, activate the activity of enzyme systems.||Panangin, Glutamic Acid|
|Vitamin preparations||They accelerate the processes of muscle tissue restoration, suppress the negative effects of catabolic processes.||Multitabs Intensive, Ortho Taurin Ergo, Alphabet Effect|
|Adaptogens||They increase the body’s stability during heavy physical exertion, have a tonic effect.||ginseng, eleutherococcus, mummy|
Muscle pain ointment after training
To eliminate muscle pain after classes, ointments are used that have painkillers, anti-inflammatory, and also warming properties. They also improve blood circulation in the muscles and relieve swelling.
The most popular ointments:
- Finalgon. Warms and dilates blood vessels. It has an analgesic effect.
- Vyprosal. It has regenerative properties. It has an analgesic effect, dilates blood vessels.
- Capsicum. It has analgesic, warming and vasodilating properties.
- It’s long. Anesthetizes and relieves inflammation, eliminates swelling.
Muscle pain pills
To eliminate pain, tablets from the group of non-steroidal drugs are used. They have painkillers, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, relieve swelling. Tablets are recommended to be taken with drugs that protect the gastric mucosa.
For pain, tablets such as nimesil, ibuprofen, diclofenac, indomethacin are used.
Ways to reduce muscle pain without drugs
The main ways to reduce muscle pain:
- Cold and hot shower. It is necessary to start the procedure with a pleasant temperature of water for the body. Then gradually increase the temperature to hot for 1-2 minutes. Then sharply turn on cold water. The exposure time is about 20 s. Then turn on the hot water again. Repeat the procedure up to 3 times.
- Compress with ice . Cold accelerates the restoration of muscle tissue and stops inflammation. It is necessary to adjust ice to problem areas.
- Pool. Slow swimming before and after workouts reduces and prevents muscle pain.
- Sleep. During sleep, muscle tissue is restored, and pain is reduced.
Hot bath after workout
With muscle pain, you can take hot baths, which have a relaxing, restoring, calming and vasodilating effect.
When taking a bath, you need to follow some rules:
- the water temperature should not be too hot (39-41);
- take a bath no more than 25-30 minutes. to avoid a large load on the heart;
- add 200 g of sea salt to the bath, which will soothe and restore muscle fibers;
- take a bath while sitting to avoid drowsiness and loss of strength;
- if the procedure takes place in the shower, it is necessary to open the door so that hot steam does not choke.
Muscle pain after exhausting workouts can be reduced with massage. At the same time, muscle tissue is restored, and cell nutrition with oxygen increases.
A positive effect will have a massage performed by a professional. Deep muscle development will improve blood flow, due to which the level of lactic acid will decrease faster. It is necessary to carry out massage procedures 12 hours before the next workout.
If you cannot use the services of a professional masseur, you can perform the massage yourself. To do this, you will need special devices in the form of rollers. In this case, it is necessary to use models made of soft materials so as not to cause additional stress to the muscles. Also, massage after exhausting training can be done with your hands.
do this, use the following rules:
- apply massage cream or oil to the problem area;
- about 3 min perform light and non-intermittent stroking;
- you need to listen to your feelings and try to identify places with special stress;
- followed by kneading, but not too much pressure on the muscles;
- discomfort is a common occurrence, by the end of the procedure the pain will pass.
You can also perform an ice massage to reduce muscle strain.
You can get rid of muscle pain without medications, using folk methods.
The following recipes can be applied:
- Grind bay leaf with juniper (6: 1) and add petroleum jelly. Rub the resulting product into problem areas 2-3 times a day.
- Mix badger fat (40 g), horsetail (10 g) and a little vegetable oil. The resulting mixture anesthetizes well.
- Take a leaf of cabbage, grease with soap and sprinkle with soda. Apply to problem areas at night.
- Pour adonis grass (0.5 tablespoon) with hot water (1 tablespoon.). After an hour, strain and take 3 times a day with a course (1 month). After 10 days, repeat the course.
- Mix the yolk, turpentine (0.5 tablespoon) and apple cider vinegar (2 small spoons). Handle problem areas overnight, wrapping them in a warm scarf.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Morning exercises for those over 40, 50. Gym exercises for weight loss, video tutorials.
Proper nutrition and drinking
Using proper nutrition can affect the intensity and duration of muscle pain after training. It is necessary to exclude harmful products from the diet: fast food, carbonated drinks, fried, fatty and salty. You need to consume more vegetables and fruits.
Pain Relief Foods:
- Cinnamon. Replenishes muscle glycogen reserves, due to which the process of their recovery is accelerated. Stops inflammatory processes. It is recommended to add cinnamon to a protein shake.
- Ginger. It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects due to gingerol, which is part of it. This root should be in food consumed immediately after class. Cloves and rosemary have the same properties.
- Fish. The best source of omega-3s for the body. Fatty fish must be included in the diet 3-4 times a week.
- The eggs. They are a source of protein involved in the regeneration of injured muscles. They contain amino acids, as well as antioxidants that relieve inflammation.
- Green vegetables. Any cabbage, spinach, celery and many others contain substances that help the body restore the integrity of cells. At the same time, the content of the stress hormone (cortisol) decreases and muscle pain decreases. It is recommended to drink a glass of green juice immediately after exercise.
- Cherry. Reduces pain after strength training. The antioxidants that make up it repair damaged muscles. It also removes toxic products from the body, thereby relieving pain.
A major role in the regeneration process after class is played by the drinking regime. With insufficient intake of water, the blood volume in the body decreases and beneficial substances do not enter the muscle cells. Because of this, the elimination of toxic substances slows down and inflammation intensifies.
Therefore, it is necessary to consume a large amount of water during the day ( 1,35 fluid ounce per pounds of body weight). Immediately after exercise, it is recommended to drink no more than a glass of water, and after 20 minutes. can remove thirst.
Rest from intense training
After any lengthy work, rest is recommended, including after a workout. The time required for rest depends on age, degree of training, fatigue and level of stress. On average, the body spends on the restoration of muscle tissue up to 10 days.
Beginners should not train more than 3 times a week. As your stamina increases, you can increase the number of workouts. The trainer can help determine the duration of the break between classes. Further, the body itself will tell you how much time it needs to recover.
If you do not allow the body to rest between workouts, muscle tissue will not have time to recover, which means that muscle growth will stop.
In order not to look for ways to eliminate the pain, it is necessary to prevent its appearance.
The main methods of prevention:
- Stretching. Stretching before and after exercise prevents muscle pain. Several exercises that stretch the muscles before exertion reduce the likelihood of tissue injuries.
- Alternating exercises. It is necessary to alternate light exercises with complex ones.
- The duration of the workout. The lesson should last no more than 45 minutes, since after an hour of training stress hormone levels increase.
- Cardio load. In the training plan, it is recommended to include exercises that strengthen the heart muscle. This will speed up the process of regeneration and reduction of lactic acid.
Is it possible to train when the muscles are still sore after the previous training
With very severe pain, it is better to abstain from classes. Strength training should cause development, not pain and overwork. If you do not give the muscles time to regenerate and continue to load them, this will lead to an overload of the body.
You can even train with pain, but you need to load other muscle groups. Physical activity speeds up the process of regeneration of muscle tissue. This is due to increased blood flow and excitation of the nervous system.
If after classes there was a sharp and aching pain, then the muscle ligaments were injured. It is necessary to stop training and allow the body to recover.
For muscle pain after strength training, you should competently build a lesson plan. A trainer who can correctly select the optimal level of loads can help with this.
Video on how to deal with krepatura after training
How to recover after a workout and get rid of muscle pain: