Highlighting hair looks great on dark hair, which can be seen in numerous photos. This option is able to diversify the hairstyle without making drastic changes in the color of the hair and give notes of freshness to a boring shade.
- Choose the type of highlighting
- Classic version
- Venice highlighting
- California highlighting
- French highlighting
- American highlighting
- Diagonal highlighting
- Reverse highlighting
- Partial highlighting
- Highlighting “Hoarfrost”
- Magic contrast
- Multicolor Highlighting
- Choose a highlighting technique
- Highlighting with a comb
- Through a hat
- Using foil
- Technique “by hand”
- We select highlighting depending on the length of the hair and haircut
- Highlighting for short hair
- Highlighting and bangs
- Highlighting on a square: features
- How to choose the right color
- Highlighting dark hair
- Highlighting strands on blond hair
- Highlighting for blondes
- Red hair dyeing
- Hair care after highlighting
- In what cases is highlighting not worth doing
- Highlighting hair, photo on dark hair: video
Choose the type of highlighting
Before starting the highlighting procedure, you need to choose its type, which will harmoniously lie on the hair, and will not look artificially.
This option for dyeing involves a uniform distribution of the coloring composition along the entire length of the hair:
- curls can be of different widths and thicknesses;
- thin strands allow you to make the difference between dyed and natural hair minimal, which makes the hair look very natural;
- Most often, the upper strands are exposed to lightening.
The Venetian type of highlighting is done on dark hair, both natural color and dyed. This technique allows you to highlight the beauty of curls, while not violating their structure.
- deviation from the roots no further than 1’2 inch;
- color can vary from tar to chocolate;
- as you move to the ends of the hair, the initial tone is clarified;
- tips are painted in a snow-white color.
This type is distinguished by the gradual application of several brightening compounds, each of which has a different (but close) tone.
This technology allows you to get very effective natural transitions between the strands, due to which the hair looks more voluminous, as if burnt out in the hot sun.
The French version of highlighting has a number of features:
- it uses a wax-based paint that does not contain ammonia;
- dark hair slightly changes its shade, a radical change in color does not occur;
- the technique is especially good for chestnut shades, it gives them the color of a nut with a pearl shimmer;
- one or more close shades are used.
This is one of the subspecies of California highlighting. The difference is the use of foil for wrapping individual curls, due to which the effect of highlighting rare locks, which create accents throughout the hairstyle, is achieved.
American highlighting is well suited for curly, curly hair.
Brown highlighting on dark hair looks especially interesting, due to which they acquire additional shine and visual volume.
Considering highlighting the hair of a photo on dark hair, one can evaluate the advantages of its diagonal variety. It allows you to create accents on a natural shade of hair or to get a completely new, daring image.
Characteristic features of this type of highlighting:
- the presence of a clear contrast of colors;
- all parting and lines are made at an angle, in contrast to the traditional vertical position;
- Ideal for adding pastel shades to your hair or creating a vibrant look.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable hair colors this year. Photos and trends of hairdressing.
This type of coloring fits perfectly on any length of hair, however, it is best suited for growing a natural shade. Due to such highlighting, you can gradually achieve the return of your own color, without resorting to a haircut.
Principles of technology:
- the shade is selected based on the color of natural hair (it can be compared with the occipital strands);
- staining technology – traditional, in small strands in a vertical direction;
- the roots in this technique are also painted in a shade close to the selected tone;
- follow-up hair care is mandatory.
This technology is used for those who do not want to radically change their image, but are not averse to refreshing it a little.
- those strands that frame the face are exposed to lightening;
- tones can be as close to natural as possible, and quite contrasting;
- highlighting is performed both in the technique of asymmetry, and in some areas of the hair (for example, on the bangs).
This is a fairly fresh highlighting technique, hair, after its application, begin to shine, as if glare of light passes through them. Wavy hair designed using the Hoarfrost technique looks especially good; it becomes more lively and dynamic.
Characteristics of the technique:
- hair moisturize and lift at the roots;
- paint is applied to part of the strands, starting from the roots;
- using foil, the composition is lubricated towards the tips.
Hair dyed using this technology is characterized by a natural appearance and an unearthly radiance.
This technique looks especially good if it is performed on dark blond or light brown hair. Bronding allows you to get the effect of mass of bleached hair, without a real impact on all hair. This approach allows you to protect the hair from damage.
- the use of several colors: the basis and several matching shades;
- a zone at the roots, vertical strands are highlighted or the effect of burnout in the sun is created;
- the strands are made heterogeneous in color and thickness;
- classic technology involves the chaotic application of compounds, which ensures naturalness of the result.
A photo on dark hair allows you to evaluate the benefits of highlighting hair using the ombre technique. This type of coloring allows you to decorate both smooth and wavy hair. The master applies none, but several tones to the hair, and from the roots necessarily recedes 3’9 – 4’7 inch.
The transitions between the tones are not clear, but smooth.
The technique involves staining, both vertically and horizontally or asymmetrically. The most attractive technique is the horizontal application of paint, asymmetry allows you to achieve an original look and a vivid image.
A very interesting staining technology, which involves smooth lines and imperceptible transitions from dark natural roots to lightened tips, animated strands, as if burnt out in the sun.
The traditional hat or foil is not used in this technique, the paint acts directly in the air. Such transitions on long hair of dark shades look especially beautiful. Shatush can be made using caramel, red shades, and bright – red and pink.
This technique, in contrast to a similar performance balayazha, involves contrasting strands over the entire surface of the head. Majicontrast looks great both on long hair and on a short haircut.
The combination of black and white colors will be especially advantageous, the main thing is that the master uses high-quality dyes, and the client’s hair is healthy, because dyeing will cause them considerable harm.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Vertical highlighting of dark hair is called balazyazhem. This technique creates the effect of hair that has faded under the influence of the sun. As a rule, hair is highlighted that frames the face, as well as the back of the head and the top of the head. The tone for coloring is chosen as close to natural as possible, so that the highlighting looks organic and natural.
Options for execution of a hammock:
- at tips, with asymmetry or evenly;
- full, in which part of the curls are fully highlighted, part – selectively;
- the middle involves random staining of strands at different levels of the head.
This technology is extremely popular among young people. Nothing changes the image and makes it so memorable as dyeing strands in different colors and tones. The technique can be performed both vertically and diagonally – it all depends on the design of the master and the desired result.
Dark hair looks completely organic with multi-color highlighting, regardless of the selected shades.
Choose a highlighting technique
Each master working in a professional salon is familiar with many hair highlighting techniques. Each coloring method uses its own technology, which allows to achieve the most accurate result.
Highlighting with a comb
A hairbrush is the main tool in creating highlighting of several species, for example, California.
The process looks like this:
- A comb is selected whose teeth should be sparse and wide.
- A comb is dipped into a pre-prepared dyeing solution, then the master passes it through the hair combed in the middle.
- In addition, you can use your fingers to accurately apply glare to your hair.
At home, this method is used more often than others, as the simplest and most affordable.
Through a hat
Highlighting hair through a hat greatly facilitates the whole process, as can be seen in the photo on dark hair. The cap has slots into which you need to bring out strands for highlighting. It is especially convenient for owners of short hair.
The procedure goes like this:
- put a hat on your head, get locks through the slots (use a special hook for this);
- strands are painted with a brush (the greater the distance between the strands, the more tender the transition from your own color to highlighted);
- after the set time, without removing the caps, wash off the paint;
- in conclusion, the entire hair should be washed with shampoo and treated with balm.
This highlighting method is quite popular in the salons, for its implementation it is necessary to prepare foil strips. The length of the latter depends on the length of the hair (it should be 7’9 inch longer than the strands), and the width should not exceed 2’8 inch.
Highlighting with foil is made in this way:
- apply the coloring composition to the foil, after bending it a little on both sides. In other cases, the foil is placed under the strand, after which a brightening composition is applied to it;
- after you need to wrap the strand in foil;
- After the set time, the composition is washed off separately from each strand, preventing it from falling onto the bulk of the hair.
Technique “by hand”
This staining technique is used to create the most natural images, for example, in California highlighting. The master, in this case, applies the dyeing composition to the hair with the help of hands wearing gloves. The tool is distributed among the strands in a chaotic order, which allows to achieve maximum naturalness.
We select highlighting depending on the length of the hair and haircut
Not every highlighting technique will look equally harmonious on hair of different lengths. Therefore, it is important to choose the technology that emphasizes the beauty of the hair and its length.
Highlighting for short hair
Short hair can be highlighted in the following ways:
- Majimesh : the master steps back a little from the roots and highlights individual strands, using compounds without ammonia for this purpose.
- Peek-a-Boo : the colorist paints the lower part of the hair in bright colors, due to which the entire hairstyle acquires volume.
- Two-tone : ideal for young people, when hair, in addition to natural, acquires highlights in two different tones of the selected color.
- Diagonal : the dyeing composition in one or several tones is applied to the hair strictly diagonally, due to which a very original image is obtained.
- Californian : the master leaves dark roots, and individual strands are painted in coral and bronze shades. Such highlighting can begin both 2 – 3’9 inch from the roots, and from the middle of the hair.
Highlighting and bangs
Highlighting hair with bangs is always a risk, you can evaluate the results by studying the photo on dark hair. A true professional will always tell the client whether it is worth touching the bangs with light strands or is it better to leave it natural.
If stained correctly, it:
- allows you to increase the volume of hair;
- disguises gray hair;
- attracts attention;
- refreshes the look;
- emphasizes the texture of the haircut as a whole.
It is important to choose the right technique for highlighting the bangs, avoiding the creation of wide brightened strands, which makes the bangs look like an alien element on the head.
Highlighting on a square: features
To revitalize the usual square, it makes sense to refresh the hair with a few locks of a contrasting shade.
One of the following types of highlighting will perfectly cope with this task:
- American : made using bright colors applied in accordance with strict geometry.
- Californian : well complements the elongated Bob haircut with slightly lighter strands framing the face and bright mischievous tips.
- Contrast : with the creation of several bright locks along the entire length of the hair.
How to choose the right color
So that the color of the highlighted strands does not bring dissonance in appearance, you need to pay attention to the color type of the woman:
- brown-haired women can afford strands of beige or gold color;
- blondes – ash and pink;
- owners of brown hair – the color of honey and caramel.
Highlighting dark hair
Strands of tones that do not differ too much from the natural color of a woman’s hair can give a natural image to the brown-haired woman. Highlighting should be done 2-3 tones lighter than the natural shade.
Curls with such shades will look harmonious:
- honey and nuts;
- chocolate and cognac;
- currants and bronzes;
- ocher and wheat;
- caramel and gold.
Highlighting strands on blond hair
The fair-haired girls mistakenly believe that highlighting is useless to them. This is not true. Properly selected color and properly executed technique are able to revive a dull haircut and give the hair a sunny glow.
Brown hair can be highlighted using the California technique: the master creates natural transitions between the strands, brightening them 1-2 tones, smoothly moving from the roots to the ends.
- honey and coffee (light);
- cognac or light beige.
Highlighting for blondes
Even the rarest hair of a blonde can become an enchanting hairstyle if the master correctly conducts the highlighting procedure.
Popular techniques for blondes:
- highlighting in different shades, both dark and red;
- staining 2-3 tones is lighter or darker than natural;
- balayazh, with painting over single strands;
- vanilla with pearlescent curls;
- dark: coffee, chocolate, walnut flowers.
After such a change in hair color, they acquire visual thickness and volume.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Red hair dyeing
Highlighting hair of red shades is carried out, no less than on dark hair, as seen in the photo. It is done
to give volume to hair, to emphasize facial features and make them more expressive.
Types of staining:
- fine highlighting (girls with fair skin can afford white strands, with dark skin – beige and chocolate);
- light : golden and wheat strands will help revitalize the red-haired image;
- red : curls interspersed with the color of burgundy, cognac or red purple, give the image an extravagance;
- dark : looks especially harmonious on owners of dark skin. Great shades of coffee or chocolate;
- Californian : the tips lighten, and the roots remain unchanged. A smooth transition is created between them, due to which the effect of curls that are burnt out in the sun appears.
Hair care after highlighting
Correctly conducted highlighting, with shades suitable for the image, must be supported so that the long-awaited effect lasts as long as possible.
- Use special hair care products after highlighting (shampoos, balms, oils, masks and lotions).
- Protect hair from ultraviolet radiation through special substances and panams, as well as from chlorine-based products (for example, in the pool).
- In winter, wear a hat to protect your hair from frost.
- As rarely as possible, use a hairdryer, curling iron and ironing machine for styling.
- Use fluids to fix the pigment in the hair structure.
- Wash your hair only with warm (not hot) water and rinse under cold.
- Perform self-massage of the head with your fingers regularly.
- Do not comb hair in a wet condition, so as not to damage their structure.
In what cases is highlighting not worth doing
You can find a lot of highlighting photos on dark hair, when dyeing harms the hair or does not suit the style of its owner.
It is better not to do highlighting if:
- hair was dyed using henna, which can react to dye in the most incredible way;
- not a month has passed after perms;
- split hair, split and broken.
Well-groomed and strong hair, after a well-done highlighting technique with the right dye tone, can sparkle with new colors and revitalize the image as a whole.
Highlighting hair, photo on dark hair: video
How highlighting on dark hair is carried out, see the video clip:
How to make Venetian highlighting, find out in the video clip: