Geranium essential oil is obtained by distilling the green part of fresh raw materials over water vapor. The finished product has healing properties, due to which it is widely used in medicine, pharmacology, perfumery, aromatherapy, cosmetology.
- The healing properties of geranium oil
- The use of geranium oil in aromatherapy
- Use in traditional medicine
- For th e prevention of viral diseases
- Antioxidant Geranium Oil
- Nail fungus treatment
- For wound healing
- Use in gynecology
- Application in cosmetology
- Geranium oil for massage
- For the treatment of cellulitis
- For firmness and beauty of the chest
- Toning bath with geranium oil
- Face geranium oil: home recipes
- For problem and oily skin
- Wrinkled Geranium Oil Mask
- Moisturizing mask for dry skin
- Geranium essential oil for strengthening and healthy hair
- Geranium Oil Perfume
- The use of geranium oil in cooking
- Tick and mosquito geranium oil
- How to make geranium oil yourself
- How much is geranium essential oil (average prices in New York)
- How to store and shelf life at home
- Contraindications and possible harm
- Video about the healing properties of geranium oil
The healing properties of geranium oil
There are several chemotypes of geraniums. Chemotypes are varieties of the same plant, from which essential oils are obtained, which have certain differences in composition and characteristics.
Differences in chemical properties are determined by the climate, the harvest season and other environmental features, which may affect the presence and percentage of certain components.
Most often, two varieties of geranium are used: garden and pink.
Geranium oil, the medicinal properties of which are widely used in the field of medicine, includes more than 100 biologically active components that have a beneficial effect on the body.
Useful properties of geranium oil:
- Excellent antiseptic, prevents the spread of bacteria, disinfects.
- Levels inflammatory processes.
- Destroys viruses and prevents the further development of diseases.
- It is a good painkiller.
- Promotes the rapid healing of skin lesions: wounds, abrasions, ulcers. Cleans from pus.
- Vasoconstrictor – relieves swelling, lowers blood pressure.
- Prevents the appearance of diabetes, normalizes the level of glucose in the blood.
- It has deodorizing properties and serves as an excellent antiperspirant.
- Normalizes hormonal levels.
- Promotes tissue growth and renewal at the cellular level.
- It is an excellent hemostatic.
- It can be used as an insecticidal agent (to kill insects).
- It has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, helps to overcome the negative effects of stress, to get out of a depressive state.
- Muscle tissue is toned.
- Cleans small wrinkles and prevents the appearance of new ones.
- Serves as a good diuretic, helps to remove toxic substances and salts of heavy metals from the body faster.
- Prevents the development of Alzheimer’s disease and the appearance of mental disorders.
- Improves mental performance.
- Helps with respiratory illnesses. Volatile, contained in the composition of geranium oil, have beneficial effects on the respiratory system.
- Improves immunity, helps the body recover faster after diseases.
- A very effective remedy for bruises, abrasions and bruises.
- Helps with fungal diseases.
- It normalizes the menstrual cycle, facilitates the condition of the body during menopause, and helps with bleeding.
If we divide the methods of application of oils according to the nature of the effect, 3 types can be arbitrarily designated:
- inhalation (which in turn are divided into cold and hot).
Inhalation methods are the most common method of applying oils. Aromatherapy is very effective in many manifestations of the disturbance of the nervous system. However, it is necessary to use essential oils with caution, since an overdose can negatively affect the state of the body.
External methods involve the treatment of damage to the skin. In most cases, essential oils are used in diluted form, since excessive concentration can cause allergic reactions.
Internal methods are quite controversial. You can take essential oils only taking into account all possible contraindications and side effects.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable haircut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
The use of geranium oil in aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to improve the psycho-emotional state, which allows you to achieve the desired result in the shortest possible time.
There are many methods for applying oils:
- aroma baths;
- aroma lamps;
- aromatic sachets;
- aroma books;
- aroma massage;
- aroma hair combing;
- atomization and air freshener.
Aromatherapy sessions help with many psychological disorders.
Geranium oil acts on the emotional sphere as follows:
- eliminates apathy;
- relieves anxiety and concern;
- contributes to the normalization of self-perception;
- eliminates the negative consequences of a depressive state;
- enhances mental activity and normalizes brain activity;
- helps to get rid of fears, complexes and negative experiences;
- helps to overcome the effects of stress;
- relieves symptomatic manifestations of fatigue;
- helps restore harmony of the inner world and an adequate perception of what is happening.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Use in traditional medicine
For medicinal purposes it is recommended to choose exclusively natural products. Two concepts should be distinguished: essential and aromatic oils. Sometimes flavored artificial products are given as natural.
The resulting confusion can lead to serious consequences, since the chemical composition of the funds varies significantly. One of the methods for determining authenticity is the presence in parentheses of the botanical name from which the oil is derived. The botanical name is indicated in Latin.
There are two more terms introduced by experts in the field of aromatherapy:
- Phyto – essence – this is the meaning of natural oil.
- Essential oil . Under this name, an artificial analogue may be hidden, corresponding to genuine oil only by smell.
e prevention of viral diseases
Geranium oil, the healing properties of which have been known since ancient times, helps prevent many diseases. It boosts immunity and helps the body cope with harmful microorganisms.
Preventive measures are carried out in two directions:
Disinfection of premises. To improve sanitary and hygienic characteristics, it is recommended to regularly process living quarters with the help of aroma smoking with the addition of essential oils.
Due to their strong antiviral and antibacterial properties, aromatic oils optimize air, eliminate gaseous pollution, and enhance dust absorption. The action of oils reduces the likelihood of infection, which is carried out through the penetration of various pathogens into the organs of the respiratory system.
Processing technique: add geranium oil and other oils to the aroma lamp, if desired: eucalyptus, patchouli, tea tree, mint. If the aroma lamp is not available, you can place a container with the product over the heater.
The duration of fumigation with aromatic means is from 30 minutes. up to 2 hours. A day you can spend 2-4 sessions. In addition, it is recommended to carry out wet cleaning with the addition of a few drops of oil to the detergent. Optimum dosage: 5 drops per 1,3 gallon of water.
Individual adaptogenic methods – to increase the tone and body resistance to pathogens of various diseases. This includes aromatherapy, baths, inhalations.
Antioxidant Geranium Oil
Geranium oil, the medicinal properties of which are difficult to overestimate, is nevertheless a rather concentrated and aggressive substance. Therefore, it is recommended to strictly adhere to a moderate dosage.
With sinusitis, the following methods are used:
- Hot inhalation. To increase efficiency, it is recommended to use nettle infusion. To prepare an inhalation product, you need 8,45 fluid ounce of a nettle decoction (2 tablespoon. Grass ear per glass) and 5 drops of the ether extract. The temperature of the product should be quite comfortable – about 80 degrees. Otherwise, there is a threat of burns to the mucosa. The inhalation technique is standard: pour the broth into the kettle, make a funnel from paper and put it in the spout of the kettle. The course of therapy is from 7 to 10 days.
- Cold inhalation. These include the basic methods of aromatherapy: medallions, lamps, fans, special devices for cold and hot inhalations.
- Massage. Apply a small amount of oil to the skin in the nose and maxillary sinuses. Rub the product with light movements. Perform with eyes closed to prevent damage and irritation of the mucous membrane of the eyes with etheric fumes. The procedure is recommended 2 times a day. The course of treatment is 15 days.
- Flushing the nasal cavity. A mild solution is prepared with the addition of sea salt and a few drops of the essential agent. Flushing should be done very carefully. Otherwise, there is a risk of pouring the product too deeply and damage the mucous membrane.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bangs of the new season for medium, short, long hair. Photo.
Nail fungus treatment
Geranium oil has antifungal properties. The method of application is as follows: after the usual daily hygiene procedures, apply a clean, undiluted product to the affected areas. Conduct a session 2 times a day. The course of treatment is 2 months. However, the first results will be noticeable in a month.
For wound healing
Geranium oil, the medicinal properties of which are the subject of numerous studies in the field of medicine, has a regenerating effect. This is one of the best means for healing various kinds of damage to the skin. It perfectly disinfects, disinfects, cleanses pus and restores the structure of tissues.
However, it cannot be used in its pure form. As a base, it is recommended to use any vegetable oil: sea buckthorn, sunflower. Mix the funds in the following proportion: 1,52 fluid ounce of base oil and 5 drops of geranium essential oil.
Use in gynecology
Geranium extract is great for women: it increases the level of the hormone estrogen, helps get rid of headaches (both periodic and chronic manifestations), eliminates excess fat in the body, converting it into energy.
It is used to treat various gynecological diseases:
- menstrual irregularities;
- a prophylactic that prevents the appearance of various kinds of tumors and formations;
- mitigates menopause disorders.
It is best to use oil for aromatherapy, inhalation and massage. Before you start using inside, you should consult your doctor, since a concentrated substance requires special care and caution.
It is not recommended to use the oil during pregnancy, as it increases estrogen levels and raises tonus, which can negatively affect the health status of the mother and the baby.
Application in cosmetology
Concentrated oils are widely used in the field of cosmetology. Geranium extract is used both as an independent remedy and for the enrichment of creams, tonics and lotions.
There are a number of recommendations that will increase the effectiveness of the essential oil:
- Do not use oils in their pure form. Due to their high concentration, they can lead to burns and peeling.
- With acne, acne and youthful ac
ne, it is allowed to apply the product in its pure form with a cotton swab. Apply directly to the affected inflamed areas. The frequency of procedures is several times a day. In the absence of any manifestations of individual intolerance to the components of the oil, the duration of treatment can be unlimited – until the full restoration of the even surface of the skin.
- It is useful to add a few drops of the essential extract to the main face care products.
Geranium oil for massage
Geranium oil is an excellent tool that serves as the basis for massage. Due to its healing properties, it perfectly tones the skin, saturating the cells with oxygen, helps relieve tension in the muscles and has beneficial effects on the joints.
Optimum proportions: 1 tablespoon. base oil (coconut, sea buckthorn, almond) and 3-5 drops of essential extract. Due to its softness, it can be used daily.
For the treatment of cellulitis
To get rid of cellulite and smooth loose skin, it is recommended to carry out regular massage using the product described in the previous paragraph. In a month, the first results will appear.
For effective treatment, the course of therapy should be at least 3 months. It is advisable to carry out the procedures no more often than every other day.
For firmness and beauty of the chest
To give the breast elasticity and smoothness, the following remedy helps remarkably: basic vegetable oil and 10 drops of geranium essential oil. In addition to the geranium product, products based on fennel, tea tree, rosemary, juniper, verbena, anise and ylang-ylang are great. The total dosage of oils should not exceed 10 drops.
For effectiveness, it is recommended to massage daily, after applying a small amount of oil to your hands.
Toning bath with geranium oil
Scented baths perfectly cleanse, tone and nourish the skin. In addition, it is an excellent tool to help overcome the negative effects of stress, relieve anxiety, nervousness, irritability and anxiety. A bathtub with the addition of 15-20 drops of geranium oil and half packets of sea salt will help relieve fatigue.
Face geranium oil: home recipes
Floral ether tonics and lotions are widely used in cosmetology. Preparing simple and affordable products at home is a great alternative that is as effective as expensive branded drugs.
For problem and oily skin
To normalize the work of the glands and the level of oily skin, the following remedy helps well:
- geranium oil – 20 drops;
- rye flour – 20 g;
- nettle broth – 2 tablespoon;
- vitamin B12 in ampoules – 1 pc.
Gradually mix herbal broth with flour, so that there are no lumps, add an essential agent and vitamin. Perform the procedure daily for a month.
Wrinkled Geranium Oil Mask
Essential products remarkably restore the structure of the skin, restoring its natural shine, smoothing out fine wrinkles and preventing the appearance of new ones.
One of the best recipes: 1 tablespoon. coconut oil (as a base), in combination with pink and geranium essentials (7 drops each). Daily use of the mixture will help to maintain youthfulness and beauty of the skin longer.
Moisturizing mask for dry skin
For sensitive and dry skin, it is best to prepare a product based on basic oil. Any product of plant origin is suitable: sea buckthorn, coconut, olive. The percentage is about 5 drops of ether extract per tablespoon. base oil. This remedy calms the skin well.
Geranium essential oil for strengthening and healthy hair
To improve the condition of the hair, it is recommended to add a few drops to the shampoo with each wash.
The essential agent acts as follows:
- accelerates the metabolism in the hair follicles, which contributes to the rapid renewal of the structure of damaged hair and stimulate growth;
- improves blood circulation, saturates cells with oxygen;
- strengthens hair at the roots and prevents hair loss;
- removes dandruff;
- relieves fragility, makes hair more elastic and resilient;
- prevents the destruction of pigments, prevents the appearance of gray hair.
Geranium Oil Perfume
Essential oils are an excellent way to make perfumes. The tart, bitter and rich aroma of geranium gives a feeling of vigor and freshness. For perfume durability it is enough to add a small amount of alcohol (80%). Proportions:? S.L. alcohol base and 5 drops of oil. In addition to the geranium extract, you can supplement the bouquet of aromas with other oils.
The use of geranium oil in cooking
In addition to medicine and cosmetology, geranium oil is also used in cooking. Geranium-based flavors add an unusual flavor. Most often it is used for exotic baking, quince jam, currants or apples with the addition of citrus fruits. Also geranium aroma will give originality to confectionery.
Tick and mosquito geranium oil
In hot weather, aromatic essentials become wonderful helpers in the fight against blood-sucking insects.
To do this, you need to prepare a solution:
- distilled water – 3,38 fluid ounce;
- alcohol – 0,34 fluid ounce;
- oil – 10 drops.
Pour the resulting product into a bottle with a spray. Use as a regular air freshener. It helps best against mosquitoes and mosquitoes.
To protect against ticks, it is recommended to apply a small amount of oil diluted with alcohol ( 0,34 fluid ounce per 5 drops) to grind the skin.
How to make geranium oil yourself
Geranium oil can be prepared independently at home.
To do this, you need to do the following:
- rinse and chop fresh leaves;
- place chopped leaves in a glass container and pour clean water;
- close the lid tightly and make a small hole in it;
- put a long flexible tube into the hole and tightly fasten it;
- bring the other end of the tube into a container placed in a bowl with ice;
- heat a container with leaves over steam;
- after reaching the desired temperature, oil droplets form on the walls;
- they must be carefully collected with a pipette;
- after completion of collection, place the product in a dark bottle made of glass.
How much is geranium essential oil (average prices in New York)
Given the low cost of geranium oil, it is practically not falsified. However, there are cases of manufacturing fakes based on fatty oils and solvents of artificial origin.
According to 2021 data, the average cost of a 0,34 fluid ounce bottle of geranium essential oil is about $ 1,36 .
How to store and shelf life at home
If the essential oil is of high quality, extracted from raw materials and prepared in accordance with all the rules, its shelf life is practically unlimited.
There are several recommendations, compliance with which will help preserve the product:
- Store essential oils in glass containers, away from light.
- The advantage is given to dark glass bottles. There should not be any plastic or rubber seals on the bottle.
- Put the bottles in an upright position, this prevents the flow of funds.
- Avoid getting water inside.
Contraindications and possible harm
Geranium oil, the healing properties of which have been known since antiquity, is non-toxic, does not reduce the resistance of cells to the action of sunlight, and also does not irritate the skin. But, despite the healing properties, geranium oil should be used with caution, given the possible contraindications.
The product is not recommended for use in such cases:
- pregnant women;
- patients suffering from a lack of glucose in the blood;
- children under the age of 7 years;
- people whose body is prone to allergic reactions;
- subject to individual intolerance to the individual components of the product.
During treatment, it is important to avoid overdose. Geranium oil is a concentrated extract with a strong odor.
Geranium oil is an excellent tool that has various medicinal properties and is widely used in medicine, cosmetology, pharmacology, cooking and the perfume industry.
Video about the healing properties of geranium oil