In the gym, sufficient time should be devoted to leg exercises, which have always been a problem area for women. Workouts on the lower body with sufficient load give quick results and improve the condition of the whole body. Buttocks, hips, and legs are tightened after a few workouts, fatigue in the legs and problems with varicose veins disappear.
- The benefits of gym workouts before home workouts
- Basic exercises for girls in the gym
- Bodyweight Squats
- Dumbbell Lunges
- Romanian deadlift
- Gluteus bridge
- Abduction of the foot
- Deadweight Deadlift
- Step approaches
- Leg curl in the hips
- Dumbbell Squats
- One leg press
- Leg extension on the simulator
- Hip Muscle Exercises
- Leg curl in the simulator
- Leg curl
- Deadlift on straight legs
- Exercise for the calf muscles
- Standing on toes
- Lifting on socks in the simulator for leg press
- Sitting on toes
- Exercises for varicose veins
- How often do you need to go to the gym
- How long should the training last
- Useful videos about leg exercises in the gym and techniques for doing them
The benefits of gym workouts before home workouts
Exercises on the legs in the gym give more significant results than doing exercises at home for many reasons.
- In the gym, it’s easier to focus on training. There are no distractions that imperceptibly take time, such as a computer or TV, pets, phone, running children and food in the refrigerator. The absence of distractions gives significant progress when playing sports. There is nothing else in the room, except the ability to perform exercises and do it right.
- In the gym, unlike the house, there is professional equipment that allows you to pump any muscles. Sports equipment and equipment in the gym are diverse, so everyone can choose what they like. Here you can find not only exercise machines, but also weights, dumbbells, parallel bars, benches, various racks. At each training session, you can change exercises and use new types of equipment and supplies. With each lesson, the load can be increased in order to achieve ever greater results.
- Payment of a gym membership is a good motivation. Classes at home can be skipped and postponed. And every missed lesson in the gym is money thrown away. A paid subscription will help you get used to systematic visits to the gym.
- In the hall you can meet many people with a beautiful body. People who have already achieved certain results in sports can provoke you to achieve the same level. Inspiration over time can be replaced by a desire to compete and training will become permanent.
- Another plus of the gym is that there are often group classes. You can choose different group programs depending on your needs and health status. Engaging in a group is more fun and easier, because all exercises are performed with the right technique and are repeated several times slowly.
- When playing sports at home, it is likely to get confused or forget most of all exercises. In the gym it is easier to concentrate and draw up a program for an individual workout, pick up the load and exercises as desired.
- Only in the gym can we give the body a complex load for all types of muscles, which is simply impossible to do at home. Perform general (basic) and narrowly focused (isolated) exercises.
Basic exercises for girls in the gym
If during the exercise 2 muscles or joints or more work, then it is called basic. When performing such exercises, different muscle groups are involved, which makes it possible to improve the whole organism and prepare it for narrowly targeted exercises. It is the basic exercises that are crucial for building and growing muscles at different stages of preparation.
Their performance within 2/3 of the time of the general training promotes rapid muscle gain and burning of subcutaneous fat. Exercises on the legs in the gym, focusing on the basics, give maximum results, since women more often than men have problem areas that require individual study.
For girls, classic basic leg exercises include:
- squats with own weight and load;
- bending in the simulator and leg extension;
- abduction of the legs and lunges;
- gluteal bridge;
- ascents to the step.
To reduce the risk of injury to your body, squats with your own weight require the right technique.
- It is necessary to stand upright and place the feet wider than shoulder level, toe socks slightly apart.
- Hands should be stretched forward with the palms down to create balance during the exercise.
- While inhaling slowly, the hips should be lowered back and down towards the floor, while the knees move forward. The back remains straight all the time.
- Bend the knees until they are parallel to the hips of the floor. Knees should look in the direction of the toes.
- Then pushing off the heels with an exhale, you need to straighten your legs slowly.
The more often you do squats, the deeper and more stable the exercise will be, which can be done in different variations.
If the attacks with weights are performed incorrectly, the ligaments of the knee joints can be damaged.
You can do it only after warming up in compliance with the technique:
- You need to take dumbbells and stand up straight. The back is straight.
- The feet are placed on the width of the pelvis, the shoulders are straightened back, the gaze is aimed forward.
- With one foot on inspiration, you need to take a wide step forward, and transfer the body weight to it. The knee is bent strictly at a right angle and does not go beyond the toe of the foot. To put the foot of the foot, you need to gently and completely press it to the floor so that the load is evenly distributed.
- The second leg is straightened and held on the toe. In this position, you need to stay for a few seconds.
- Then the heel of the working foot pushes off the floor and returns to its original position.
This exercise must be performed up to 8 times in 3 sets. To increase fat burning, your workout pace needs to be increased.
For the proper study of the biceps of the thigh and gluteal muscles, as well as the muscles of the back, Romanian traction is performed.
- You need to stand straight and put your legs parallel to the width of your shoulders. Knees are slightly bent, arms are located exactly on each side with dumbbells.
- Keeping your back on the exhale straight, you need to lean forward. In this case, the pelvis is retracted, and the hands fall to the level of the knees.
- On inspiration, they smoothly rise up, returning to their original position.
The gluteal bridge is a simple exercise, but it allows you to strengthen the abs and work out the muscles of the buttocks without unnecessary loads on the ligaments of the knees. When it is performed, blood circulation in the pelvic organs is accelerated, which affects the hormonal background and helps to strengthen women’s health.
- You need to lay the rug on the floor and lie on your back.
- The knees are bent and placed perpendicular to the floor.
- The feet should be firmly rested on the floor, and hands should be placed along the body and pressed firmly to the floor.
- On inspiration, the hips are raised as high as possible so that the body from the shoulders to the knees is in a straight line. Buttocks are tight. In this position, you need to linger for 5 seconds.
- With an exhalation, the hips are slowly lowered to the floor.
The degree of hips lifting can be increased gradually, achieving better results. Such an exercise is performed up to 10 times in 3-4 approaches.
Abduction of the foot
Exercises on the legs with the removal of one of them back, performed in the gym, allow you to work out the femoral muscles, calf muscle and back biceps of the thigh. You need to perform it in high rhythm with short pauses. Lead legs can
be done on the simulator in 2 versions: on all fours and standing.
- To perform standing leg abduction exercises, you need to face the simulator and firmly fix the leg in the bracelet. The back is fixed evenly.
- With exhalation, the leg slightly bent at the knee is taken back to the optimal distance and held for several seconds.
- With an exhalation, the leg is slowly returned to its place.
Exercises are repeated 5-15 times in 3 sets on each leg.
To enable the abdominal muscles and enhanced training of the buttocks and thigh muscles, it is better to perform the exercise standing on all fours:
- They go down on all fours facing the simulator.
- The foot is tightly fixed in the bracelet.
- A leg bent at the knee with a deep breath is lifted back and as high as possible. In this position, the leg must be held for 3 seconds.
- With exhalation, the leg is returned to its original position. Do the exercise 5-15 times in 2 sets. For enhanced fat burning, exercise should be done faster.
The secret of high-quality exercise in the smooth abduction of the leg. The simulator allows you to start with a small load and gradually increase it with each new workout.
Exercises on the legs in the gym must necessarily include deadlift with light weight. Most of all, this exercise is suitable for beginners and girls, because it develops and stretches the back of the surface of the legs and muscles of the lower back. The inner thigh surface, which is difficult to work out separately, is actively involved in the work.
- To perform the “deadlift” you need to stretch a little and warm up the main muscles and ligaments.
- Then with a light barbell or just a barbell bar you need to stand up straight.
- Legs straighten and put shoulders already, and socks spread apart.
- You need to straighten your back and connect the shoulder blades together.
- The pelvis is brought back so that a natural deflection appears in the lower back.
- On inspiration, the bar is slowly lowered down to the middle of each of the feet, taking the pelvis back. First, lower the bar to the knees, then each time lower.
- With an exhalation, they return to their original position.
Approaches to the step can be done first without weighting, and after practicing the technique with dumbbells:
- To do this, stand in front of the step platform straight, straighten your back, put your feet shoulder width apart.
- They pick up weights in the form of dumbbells or barbell bar.
- One leg is lifted and bent, transferring body weight to the other leg.
- Then you need to smoothly put the working leg on the step and transfer the body weight to it. At this time, the other leg is slightly bent and remains on the floor. Body for 1-2 seconds. fix.
- Body weight is smoothly transferred to the other leg and becomes in its original position. They also repeat, changing their leg.
Approaches to the step platform are performed only with a straight back, so that the main work rests on the leg muscles. Repeating the exercise is recommended 8-12 times in 2-3 sets.
Leg curl in the hips
Bending the legs allows you to work out the calf and popliteal muscles in the thigh simulator, as well as engage the thigh muscles.
- You need to go to the simulator and adjust the lower roller to the desired height.
- They lie down on the simulator bench so that both feet go under the rollers at the level of the ankles.
- Legs should be placed parallel to each other. Knees lowered from the bench.
- Hands are laid on the handrails, and the hips are pressed tightly to the bench.
- With an inhalation, you need to bend your legs and raise the rollers to the buttocks, without lifting your hips from the bench.
- Lingering in this position, exhale.
- With a breath, the legs slowly lower down to their original position.
This exercise requires preparation, so the number of repetitions should be gradually increased up to 10-15 times and 3 approaches.
Squats with dumbbells help work out the muscles on the front of the thigh and quadriceps.
- You should choose the weight of the weights in accordance with your training and take dumbbells with a direct grip.
- The fingers should be turned towards the legs. The back is strained and straightened, and legs are slightly wider than the shoulders.
- Inhaling, they slowly bend their knees to a position in which the hips become parallel to the floor.
- Then, pushing off with heels, on the exhale lift the body up. The legs remain slightly bent.
The exercise is repeated 5-12 times in 3 sets. It must be done slowly and carefully so as not to harm the ligaments of the knee joints.
One leg press
Stubborn repetition of the butt press in the simulator will help to quickly increase the buttocks:
- To do this, you need to configure the simulator for leg presses on a small weight.
- On the seat of the simulator sit with an inclination of 45 °.
- One straightened leg is placed on the platform, and the other is left on the floor.
- The back to the back of the simulator must be pressed firmly.
- The platform is removed from the stoppers.
- Inhaling, you need to bend your leg at the knee and slowly lower the platform onto yourself to the optimum point.
- With an exhalation raise the platform up.
Repeat the exercise 3 to 15 times in 3 sets.
Leg extension on the simulator
- First you need to adjust the weight on the simulator.
- Then you need to sit deep on the bench and set your feet so that the feet go under the rollers.
- Hands tightly grab the handles.
- With a breath, you need to straighten your legs as much as possible and stay in this position for 2-3 seconds.
- On exhalation, you need to bend your legs slowly and sit down.
Repeat leg extension 10 times in 3 sets.
Hip Muscle Exercises
Exercise for the muscles of the entire surface of the back of the thigh helps maintain leg flexibility. By loading this muscle group, you can simultaneously work out the buttocks, calves and inner thighs.
The group of basic exercises for training all the muscles of the back of the thigh include:
- bending standing and lying legs;
- on straight legs, deadlift.
They are performed starting from several repetitions, gradually increasing the load.
|Type of exercise||Number of repetitions||Number of approaches|
|On straight legs deadlift||8-10||2|
Leg curl in the simulator
You need to lie face down to perform bending the legs on the bench simulator.
- The knees are left outside the support, and the ankles rest on the rollers.
- Hands grab the side handles.
- On exhalation, strongly straining the muscles of the thigh, you need to raise weight and bend your knees. Cushions lift legs as close to the buttocks as possible.
- With a breath, smoothly unbend your legs and stand straight.
To perform a leg curl exercise while standing in the simulator, you need to adjust the roller on the equipment so that it is above the ankle.
- One leg should be placed behind the upper roller, and the other should be rested with the knee in the lower roller.
- Hands are laid on the handrails, the back is kept straight, and the stomach is pressed to the pillows.
- On exhalation, you need to raise the working leg up and for 2 seconds. hold up.
- With a breath, the leg is returned back, and the exercise is repeated a specified number of times.
Deadlift on straight legs
One of the basic exercises for girls is the deadlift, which is performed on straight legs and is aimed at working out the entire back of the thigh.
- In the initial position, you need to stand close to the bar with a small weight or bar.
- The legs are placed parallel and keep the back straight.
- You need to bend down and take the bar with a direct grip at a shoulder-width distance.
- Bending in the lower back, on the exhale, until the legs are fully extended, they rise up. Slopes are repeated as many times as possible.
Exercise for the calf muscles
Exercises on the legs in the gym must include a group of loads for the calf muscles, which should be strengthened and grow in proportion to other muscles.
The systematic load of calves, as well as its gradual increase, gives quick and significant results. Legs stop getting tired, climbing stairs does not cause shortness of breath, and movements become light and smooth.
Comprehensive calf muscle training includes:
- rise standing on toes;
- lifting in the simulator for leg press on toes;
- rise sitting on socks.
Standing on toes
To properly work out the lifts, they stand up on their socks, their legs put their shoulders already and spread their socks to the sides. It is very important to keep the back constantly flat, and the shoulder blades are flattened during training.
- With a breath, you need to rise on your socks very high and stay in this position for 1-2 seconds.
- Then they go down with an exhale slowly. Heels should be placed on the floor smoothly, without bumps.
Lifting on socks in the simulator for leg press
In the simulator, you need to sit down and put your toes on the very bottom of the platform. The angle of inclination between the legs and torso is kept approximately 90 °.
- The knees should be left slightly bent and put on their shoulders. Socks point forward.
- With exhalation, you need to raise the platform up, reducing the calf muscles, and at a point for 2-3 seconds. lock position.
- With a breath, return to the starting position.
Sitting on toes
You need to sit on the bench so that the feet are flat on the floor. Keep your back straight.
- A load is placed on their knees (dumbbells, barbell).
- With a breath, holding the load with your hands, slowly raise the feet to the toes and hold them in this position for 2 seconds.
- With an exhale, the heels are lowered to the floor.
Exercises for varicose veins
With varicose veins, all exercises should be aimed at increasing blood flow in the legs and strengthening blood vessels. Reinforced loads are prohibited. It is recommended to perform daily a small set of special exercises, as well as walk and swim.
The following exercises are considered the most effective:
- jumping (you need to jump low and smoothly);
- Mikulin’s jumps, in which heels need to be lifted just 0’4 inch from the floor, and then sharply hit the floor to create a slight vibration in the body;
- exercise “bicycle” (in a prone position with legs raised perpendicular to the body, make circular movements, as on a bicycle);
- exercise “scissors” (lying with your legs raised perpendicular to the body, do swing movements and cross them alternately);
- shallow squats without weighting;
- leg swings that help disperse blood and warm muscles.
How often do you need to go to the gym
The frequency of visits to the gym depends not only on desire and required efficiency, but also on the state of health. The development of muscle endurance and flexibility requires a systematic approach to training, which should become an integral part of life. You need to train intermittently so that the muscles fully relax after a given load.
The goals of visiting the gym are always different, so the number of workouts is individual.
To improve the general state of health and maintain tone, only 2 times a week you can go to the gym. For those who want to significantly strengthen the muscles and improve the appearance of the body at the initial stage, 3-4 visits to the gym per week are indispensable. You can train more often, the main thing is to follow the technique and not give the muscles without preparing sharp loads.
How long should the training last
Training in the gym necessar
ily includes warming up, the loading part and the fixing part. Everyone selects their exercise program, taking into account the fact that at the beginning of a workout you need to warm up the muscles and ligaments well in order to prepare them for the loads. Warming up is from 7 to 15 minutes.
The main part of the training is focused on performing basic and isolated exercises for individual muscle groups. It also includes cardio training. All exercises are performed in 2-3 approaches several times, which takes from 30 to 60 minutes. In conclusion, you need to perform several exercises for stretching in order to consolidate the effect and bring the body to a calm state.
In general, the duration of the training depends on the level of training and the training program and ranges from 40 to 90 minutes. Exercises in the gym, including on the legs, should not have a clear framework for the duration. It is important to constantly monitor your well-being.
If it is possible to lengthen or, conversely, if you feel unwell or in a mood, shorten it so that sports activities bring only positive emotions. This is the only way to achieve quick and visible results from training in the gym.
Useful videos about leg exercises in the gym and techniques for doing them
A set of exercises for weight loss:
Strength training for legs and buttocks: