Changing the shape of the lips over the past 5 years has become popular – almost every woman thinks about the correction, and 3 out of 10 still decide on reincarnation. Bulhorn – lip augmentation surgery, which has both advantages and disadvantages, which are confirmed by the photo before and after the procedure.
- What is bulhorn operation
- Method Advantages
- Disadvantages of the method
- How long does the result of the operation last
- The effectiveness of bulhorn surgery in comparison with other methods of lip correction
- Indications for Bulhorn
- Contraindications for surgery
- Preparation for surgery
- Procedure Procedures
- Technique and stages of the operation
- Possible complications
- Expert advice: is it worth the surgery
- Video about Bulhorn – what kind of operation
What is bulhorn operation
Bulhorn is a section of cheiloplasty, the branch of plastic surgery, which is aimed at correcting the appearance of the mouth. Purpose – visual enlargement of the upper lip forever, without injection or the use of biodegradable threads.
In the process of bulhorn, the lip itself is not affected, but the distance between it and the nose is reduced. To do this, a strip of skin of a specified width is cut out, then the surgeon fixes the tissues and applies stitches that are removed after a few days – often less than a week. The incision has an unusual arcuate shape, which is why the procedure is called “bull horn” (bovine horn).
The result of bulhorn – the upper lip is slightly tightened, becomes voluminous, making the mouth larger and more attractive than before.
When viewing photos after the procedure, it is noticeable that the line of the mouth takes on a shape close to the generally accepted ideal.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Face fitness for lifting the face contour, rejuvenation, muscle tone. Master class from Elena Karkukli
In cosmetology, the procedure gained fame due to the large number of advantages that are noted by both doctors and patients:
- the mouth looks natural;
- the appearance of a duck effect, also called “lip-dumplings”, which sometimes becomes the result of unsuccessful injections to increase lips, is excluded
- suitable for the elderly;
- traces of the operation are not noticeable;
- short rehabilitation period;
- relative comfort and safety during the operation;
- the effect persists for decades, in cases of mild correction – forever.
Disadvantages of the method
Many patients are surprised to hear from the beautician about the disadvantages of the procedure. They are less in comparison with other methods:
- every surgical intervention carries a risk, although it is not great in the case of bulhorn;
- in some situations, the desired result is difficult to achieve without the use of an additional procedure for the implantation of a thread frame;
- many contraindications;
- complications are possible;
- despite the short duration of the procedure itself (30-40 minutes), bulhorn will take a long time to get the result – examination, preparation and rehabilitation do not occur instantly.
The criterion of value is subjective: for some, dignity, for others, disadvantage. On average, in megalopolises, an operation can be carried out for $ 952.
How long does the result of the operation last
The result is saved forever. Appearance does not change over time, since implants or synthetic materials are not used during the operation. Only age-related changes can have an effect – this is a natural process that cannot be avoided.
After a successful bulhorn operation, you can forever forget about the long lip makeup before an important event or for a photo.
The effectiveness of bulhorn surgery in comparison with other methods of lip correction
There are many methods for correcting lips today:
- contour plastic;
- Botox correction
- implant implantation;
- thread lifting.
Often, women try to change the shape of the mouth on their own, doing a variety of massages, exercises for lip augmentation at home, and more. These techniques tighten the muscles of the face and stimulate blood flow to them, but they cannot fundamentally change the shape or volume of the lips. In this regard, the advantage of surgery is obvious, although it carries a greater risk.
Contour plastic is a way to increase the volume of the lips by introducing special injection gels into them. They include tonic agents, as well as hyaluronic acid, which is a natural component of human skin.
The procedure is painless, performed under anesthesia, like bulhorn. The price is much lower, it is $ 177 – $ 231, but it should be noted that the effect is short-lived and the injections will have to be repeated at least every year.
Contraindications are very similar to bulhorn. The possibility of complications and the likelihood that the lips will turn out too protruding are not excluded. Traces of a syringe needle may remain. Unsuccessful results can be seen in the photo before and after.
In defense of the contour correction, we can add that the rehabilitation period is half or even 3 times shorter (2-3 days), no seams will have to be removed, and the procedure itself will be faster.
The famous botox is also an injection, but botulinum toxin, a substance that can elasticize tissues. Wrinkles are smoothed out and no longer noticeable.
The procedure for introducing Botox is no different from contouring, side effects are also possible – bruises and marks from injections are possible. The effect disappears completely after a year, which is a lack of injections compared with the operation of the bulhorn.
The action of the method is slightly different:
- the volume of the lips or their position does not increase;
- botulinum toxin smoothes the lips, makes the outline clearly defined;
- the face looks younger.
In this, Botox is similar to bulhorn, since both methods in fact do not increase the volume of the lips.
Lipofilling – the introduction of adipose tissue into the patient’s lips . Material for the operation is taken from the same person from parts of the body where there is an excess of fat. Thus, lipofilling involves a small liposuction.
Contraindications and indications for the conduct are the same as for the operation of the bulhorn. Side effects are similar to contour correction and Botox (traces of injections, bruises), but allergies are excluded, as the body will not reject its own adipose tissue.
The price is slightly lower than bulhorn and varies from $ 272 – $ 816. Although the lifelong result after the procedure is advertised, in some cases the fat is absorbed and lipofilling must be repeated.
implantation, implants are placed in the lips surgically, which can be made from either artificial or natural materials . Bulhorn and implantation are similar in terms of the duration of the operation, price and rehabilitation period, but before installing the implants it is not recommended to smoke for several days, but up to one and a half months.
The same goes for taking medication. Allergies and other complications are not ruled out. If successful, the procedure does not need to be repeated, like bulhorn.
Electroporation is the introduction of hyaluronic acid into the lips without injections, using a specialized electrical apparatus. A similar method is used not only for lip correction and is famous for having almost no side effects.
Electroporation is safer than a bulhorn operation, but in order for the photos before and after it to be at least somehow different, you need to take a course (on average 9 procedures). And even after this, the procedure will have to be repeated every year so that the effect does not subside.
Thread lifting is used both for the whole body and face, and for individual areas, including the lips. The essence of the method is implantation under the skin using needles of special threads that provide tissue tightening.
This type of lifting is able to compete with bulhorn in many respects.
- The procedure is faster – only 20-35 minutes.
- Thread lifting is performed under local anesthesia, rehabilitation in the absence of complications (occur in 2 out of 100 patients) will take a week, no need to remove the sutures.
- The persistent effect lasts up to 3 years, which is long compared with other methods, with the exception of implants and bulhorn. In this case, the first time the effect is even enhanced.
The price varies depending on the clinics and the type of thread used.
Indications for Bulhorn
In many plastic surgery clinics, the main method of lip correction is precisely bulhorn. Photos before and after the procedure are impressive, so the popularity of the method does not decrease.
In addition to their own desire to improve the shape of the lips, there are more objective reasons for the operation:
- irregular, asymmetric mouth shape and similar birth defects;
- thin upper lip;
- too much distance between the mouth and nose;
- physical damage to the lower part of the face;
- age-related processes: wrinkles around the mouth, the displacement of the lips or their corners down and so on.
Contraindications for surgery
The patient’s absence of contraindications for conducting bulhorn is determined by the doctor during a preliminary examination or during tests:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- the body is in the stage of exacerbation of any disease;
- severe forms of chronic diseases;
- poor tolerance of anesthesia;
- specific features of the structure of the face (gingival smile and others);
- a tendency to keloid scarring of scars, that is, to the formation of dense, bright in color and swollen scars;
- inflammation in the body;
- general inappropriateness (lips are large enough and look harmonious on the face).
Preparation for surgery
Before the operation, the patient must undergo an examination and take tests to identify hidden contraindications.
The ongoing research includes:
- blood tests from a vein and from a finger, including general, biochemical analysis, testing for HIV infection, coagulation and sexually transmitted diseases;
- fluorography, if the patient has not done it in the current year;
- Analysis of urine.
It is also recommended not to drink alcohol and smoke a few days before plastics. The requirement is not strict, but these substances affect anesthesia and can reduce its effectiveness. A reasonable measure for the patient will be the rejection of food, drinks and medications that cause him an allergic reaction. Lip peeling is undesirable.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Facial massage according to the Japanese doctor Asahi Zogan.
There are no identical people and no identical faces, therefore, the methods of plastic surgery are different in order to improve the appearance of people with any structure of the face.
- External (external) bulhorn. An incision is made to remove a strip of tissue above the lip from the outside, directly under the nose, which allows the trace of the operation to remain completely invisible. You can make a cut below, just above the lip, but this method is not used in cheiloplasty, as it does not guarantee a trace.
- Inner Bulhorn. The principle remains the same, but the tissues are cut from the inside of the lip, the mucous membrane is affected. Even less likely is a noticeable scar. The internal method can tighten the lip stronger.
- Italian bulhorn. A subspecies of the external correction method, is divided into 2 types: ordinary and complex.
An ordinary or classic version involves performing 2 separate incisions under both nostrils. Excess skin is removed, traces of the operation are hidden under the nose. The method is good if you need to slightly tighten or adjust the lip, but strong changes to increase in this way cannot be achieved.
In addition, an incision in the middle is not performed, so the central part is slightly lower. This is a plus when you want to give your lips the shape of “Cupid’s bow”, in other cases, the result may look unnatural.
The second type is more complicated, therefore, it is not performed by all plastic surgeons. Its task is to eliminate the minuses of the classic Italian bulhorn. The middle part of the lip is also tightened, which allows you to increase it
more strongly, avoiding a disproportionate appearance.
Technique and stages of the operation
The operation is simple and takes from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the amount of work and the structural features of the patient’s lips.
- Marking is applied to the area where the operation will be performed.
- Stage of anesthesia. An injection of local anesthesia is made, but the patient has the right to ask for an operation under general anesthesia. This is negotiated in advance.
- An incision is made from the outside or from the inside of the lip, depending on the method chosen earlier.
- The surgeon cuts out a part of the skin that goes like a bull’s horns. This is the main stage, since the result depends on the shape of the cut strip.
- Sewing stage. The edges of the wound are pulled together, stitches are applied.
- If the patient was under general anesthesia, then he is left in the hospital until he comes to his senses. There is no need for further stay in the clinic.
To remove the stitches, you need to go to the doctor again after 6-10 days. In a week, the edema will disappear and the first results of the operation will appear. Traces of the intervention will completely disappear after 1.5 months.
The likelihood of complications depends on the characteristics of the body – the speed of wound healing and immunity.
- The insensitivity of the upper lip and the area of skin above it is possible as a result of anesthesia or careless work of the surgeon, as a result of which the nerve was affected.
- Violation of the integrity of the seams occurs with excessive activity of the lower part of the face (facial movements, as a result of yawning and other things) or with external exposure (shock, rubbing the wound).
- Infection getting into the wound is a rare case that occurs when the antiseptic rules are not followed during surgery or when dirt penetrates after the seam diverges.
- Edema is a common occurrence, but is easy to clean. The condition goes away on its own or is removed with ointments from bruises and puffiness.
- Asymmetry of the mouth line , as a result of the incompetent work of the surgeon, is corrected only by repeated intervention.
- A rare case – a change in facial expressions – is a clear consequence of an unsuccessful operation.
The postoperative period does not include any additional procedures. The seam heals independently, the external signs of the procedure in the form of edema and redness disappear after 1-2 days. Otherwise, you can use funds from edema.
Before removing the sutures, the patient should be careful not to stretch the skin of the lower part of the face. Forbidden makeup. For the next 2 weeks it is forbidden to carry out lip pilling. Cosmetics are applied in small quantities to provide the skin with oxygen and accelerate healing. Fatty and spicy foods are not recommended.
If complications arise, then the rehabilitation period may last longer. Edema is able to increase the period to a week. If the sutures are broken, they are applied again, and healing begins from the very beginning. In other situations, only the doctor is able to say how much treatment or correction of complications will take.
Expert advice: is it worth the surgery
Most cosmetologists agree that cheiloplasty, including bulhorn, is much more effective than injections, if only because the procedure is not necessary. This gives a monetary advantage, although at first glance the cost of bulhorn is high.
The procedure is considered a safe method of lip correction due to its ease of use. At the same time, surgeons do not exclude the risk of complications and warn customers about this. If the appearance suits a person, there is no point in “turning” to a scalpel.
Is an operation necessary – everyone decides this for himself, relying on known facts, sensibly evaluating his own appearance, preparation for surgery and photos of other patients after bulhorn.
Video about Bulhorn – what kind of operation
How to change lips:
My lip plastic: