Acupuncture is one of the methods of alternative medicine that came to us from China. As a prevention of obesity, it has been used relatively recently. This practice is a type of reflexology, which was originally used to treat pathologies of internal organs and systems.
The meaning of the procedure for losing weight is to correct nerve impulses sent to the brain from the central nervous system. Concentrated effect on certain points helps to speed up metabolism and reduce appetite.
In USA, this technique is still considered pseudoscientific, so it is used only in private clinics and medical centers. Prices for the procedure range from $ 20 – $ 34.
- Advantages and disadvantages of the method
- What examinations you need to pass
- Procedure step by step
- Recovery after
- Residual discomfort
- Systemic reaction
- Damage to internal organs
- How long will the result last
- Possible complications
- Video on the topic: acupuncture: what heals and how it works
Advantages and disadvantages of the method
Acupuncture for weight loss, like any other method of passive fight against excess weight, has its advantages and disadvantages.
- eliminates the root cause of excess weight, and not its consequences;
- restores metabolism, which allows to achieve good results in losing weight to people with a slow metabolism;
- helps to cleanse the body of toxins and remove excess fluid;
- exposure to specific acupuncture points can completely suppress food dependence;
- no side effects (with professional procedure);
- unlike drug therapy is not addictive.
- the procedure can be extremely unpleasant for people with a low pain threshold, therefore, before paying for the course, it is recommended to attend a trial session;
- to achieve the result, it is necessary to undergo a long and expensive course of treatment;
- if overweight is more than 22 pounds, therapy will not give the desired effect without observing the diet and moderate but regular physical exertion;
- after the completion of acupuncture, it is necessary to monitor changes in weight, with active weight gain it is recommended to repeat the course;
- Only a certified specialist can carry out the procedure;
- in order to protect yourself from infection during skin puncture, before each session it is necessary to carry out hygiene procedures.
Acupuncture is indicated for desperate patients with low motivation who are overweight due to overeating, associated with increased hunger or constant stress. The release of hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol, which is inevitable when losing weight, causes increased appetite.
Acupuncture relaxes the nervous system, lowers stress levels, and relieves increased irritability, as a result of which the body responds less painfully to food restrictions.
In addition to the fight against excess weight, acupuncture can be indicated in the following cases:
- disruption of the musculoskeletal system;
- endocrine system diseases;
- gastrointestinal tract disorders;
- respiratory diseases and more.
With the help of acupuncture, about 500 diseases can be cured, but this practice can achieve the greatest result in the treatment of pathologies of ODA. Before embarking on a course of reflexology, you must undergo a medical examination for the absence of contraindications.
Acupuncture for weight loss is a relatively safe method of treatment, but there are some absolute contraindications that exclude the possibility of its use.
- eating disorders (bulimia, anorexia);
- violation of the hematopoietic system;
- renal, hepatic and heart failure;
- disorders of the immune system;
- oncologists and benign tumors;
- diseases of the nervous system (epilepsy, convulsions);
- acute infections and respiratory infections.
Relative contraindications in which the possibility of therapy is considered individually:
- severe physical or psychological overwork, exhaustion;
- menstruation in women;
- muscle dystrophy;
- multiple sclerosis.
There are also a number of local restrictions. Needles are not allowed:
- at acupuncture points on the face and head of children under 7 years old;
- in places of any damage to the skin;
- in areas of varicose nets;
- at the locations of scars and scars.
Acupuncture is contraindicated in pregnant and lactating women, as well as people over 70 years of age.
What examinations you need to pass
Acupuncture is a very delicate procedure. It is not so important whether it is prescribed for weight loss or for the treatment of osteochondrosis. In any case, it will be necessary to submit certificates on the absence of blood pathology, viral, oncological and sexually transmitted diseases.
At the first consultation, to make an accurate diagnosis and determine further treatment, the doctor may ask you to provide the results of an MRI, ultrasound or X-ray. If these examinations have not been previously performed, the reflexologist will write out the necessary directions.
Acupuncture is a very specific procedure, so you need to prepare for it not only financially, but also psychologically.
So that the money is not wasted, it is recommended to perform the following actions before paying for the course:
|to study the procedure||Read the relevant gallon, watch videos, read reviews of patients who have already resorted to acupuncture.|
|evaluate your ability to adopt this treatment method||If there is internal resistance, distrust or a banal fear of pain from injections, it is better to find an alternative solution to the problem.|
|find a specialist with the necessary level of qualification, which can be documented||Read the reviews of his patients and get acquainted with the rates.|
|evaluate your financial capabilities and time resources||The course of acupuncture therapy may include from 9 to 15 procedures with a break of 1-2 days. It must be completed to the end, otherwise the money will be wasted.|
|Before buying a course, you must make an appointment with a selected acupuncture specialist||Tell him the essence of the problem with all the details: symptoms of the disease, what treatment methods were used previously, eating habits, daily routine.|
You should not come to a acupuncture session in a state of intoxication, severe physical overwork or after intravenous administration of drugs.
The procedure is recommended 2 hours after a meal. In order for the session to be successful, you need to try to relax as much as possible and honestly answer the doctor questions about fee
lings and well-being.
Procedure step by step
The situation in the room of an acupuncture specialist should contribute to maximum physical and emotional relaxation. It is necessary to maintain a comfortable temperature. In a cold room, spasms of blood vessels and muscles are possible, which reduce the effectiveness of treatment. An individual needle plan is developed for each patient.
The procedure takes place in several stages:
- The doctor tells the patient about the course of the procedure, possible sensations and post effects.
- The patient strips to the laundry (it is forbidden to put needles through clothes) and lays on the couch, taking the position indicated by the doctor.
- The therapist must unpack a set of needles in the presence of the patient to demonstrate their sterility.
- Needle placement sites are treated with an antiseptic solution.
- The doctor carefully inserts the needles at the designated points. The introduction can be carried out with or without easy twisting. Depth and angle of needle placement vary. During the session, the therapist can heat the needles by various methods, rotate them and change the penetration depth to achieve a better result.
- The specialist should ask questions about the patient’s well-being, which must be answered as honestly as possible, not being afraid to show their weakness. If the pain syndrome after the injection of the needle does not disappear within 2 minutes, it is necessary to say so. During the first session, the patient should be constantly under the supervision of a doctor. If there is a deterioration in well-being, the procedure is terminated.
- After the session, the doctor carefully removes the needles that did not come out on their own, and again treats the injection site with an antiseptic. With the correct procedure, small redness remains on the skin, which disappears after a few hours.
The duration of the session depends on the purpose of the therapy and the location of the needles and ranges from 20 to 45 minutes. After the procedure, the patient is sheltered and allowed to rest for 15-20 minutes.
Acupuncture for weight loss is a safe procedure that, when professionally performed, has no side effects. However, one cannot exclude the possibility of complications and have an idea of how to deal with their consequences.
Occurs in case of damage to blood vessels during needle manipulation. If a hematoma occurs in the first hours, it is recommended to apply ice to the damaged area, and then, to improve resorption, make a light massage and a warm compress.
If a large blood vessel is damaged, you need to immediately remove the needle, squeeze the puncture site with a sterilized cotton swab until the bleeding stops completely and then apply a hematoma resolving agent, for example, heparin ointment.
Irritation and sensations of aches at the injection sites are possible in people with a low pain threshold or when the needles are too deep. A relaxing massage will help get rid of discomfort.
According to statistics, 10% of patients after an acupuncture session experience fatigue and pain, comparable to the post effect of intense physical training. In this case, it is recommended to put warming compresses on the acupuncture zone or take warm baths with Epsom salt.
Epsom salt is a natural mineral that has a number of therapeutic properties necessary for the rehabilitation of the body after stress.
Epsom salt action:
- promotes muscle relaxation;
- calms the nervous system;
- strengthens blood vessels;
- activates detoxification of the body;
- improves blood circulation;
- beneficial effect on skin condition.
It is better to buy this magic bath salt in a company online store so as not to run into a fake. The cost of 2 pounds is $ 6,8.
Damage to internal organs
If the needle is inserted too deep, damage to the internal organs is not ruled out. Most often, a puncture of the lung occurs, which is possible when setting the needle, both from the back and from the front wall of the ribs.
The first symptoms are breathing difficulties associated with air entering the pleural cavity, pallor and blueness of the skin. In this case, immediate medical attention and placement of the patient in a hospital is required.
At the time of rehabilitation after pneumothorax, it is necessary to refrain from physical activity for 3-4 weeks and completely give up smoking (if this bad habit was present).
How long will the result last
Acupuncture for weight loss is aimed not only at weight loss, but also at the right psychological attitude, which helps to maintain the result for many years.
Professionally conducted therapy gives the following effect:
- decreased appetite and the appearance of rapid satiety;
- acceleration of metabolic processes;
- restoration of the normal functioning of internal organs.
Proper nutrition and regular physical activity, will not only consolidate the result obtained after a course of procedures, but also improve it. If you follow the doctor’s recommendations, the effect will continue for many years. However, if you relax and return to your old eating habits and inactive lifestyle, the extra pounds will not take long.
Most of the problems that arise during or after the acupuncture procedure are due to the low level of specialist training.
The lack of necessary professionalism among the staff is fraught with the following consequences:
- Needle fracture associated with improper installation, selection error or poor metal quality. Remove a broken tip only with the help of a surgeon.
- A stuck needle in the body, which is possible with severe muscle spasm or if the needle enters the bone.
- Damage to large blood vessels fraught with the appearance of subcutaneous hemorrhage or open bleeding.
- Long-term discomfort after the procedure, associated with too much pressure when installing the needles.
- Infection, which is not excluded when using poorly sterilized equipment.
- Loss of consciousness. It is possible if the patient came to the session hungry, in a state of severe emotional stress, or after heavy physical exertion. Also, a fainting condition can be caused by an increased sensitivity of the patient to injections and the procedure during heavy periods.
- Damage to internal organs.
To avoid unpleasant consequences, it is necessary with all responsibility to approach the selection of a specialist who will conduct the procedure. It is recommended to read reviews about the work of the selected master and ask to present certificates confirming the availability of the necessary qualifications. Only a doctor with a higher medical education can engage in reflexology.
Acupuncture for weight loss helps the patient cope with the stress that the body experiences with the introduction of restrictions.
After the course of procedures, you can achieve good results, however, this technique does not guarantee the preservation of the effect without any effort.
Video on the topic: acupuncture: what heals and how it works
How acupuncture works: