A gentle option for hair coloring – tinting, it is quite possible to do it yourself at home. This method allows you to change the tone of the hair and, at the same time, save the structure of the latter from the destructive effects of ammonia paints.
- The principle of the tinting agent
- Types of tinting
- How long does toning last
- Pros and cons of hair tinting
- When is tinting not recommended
- Colorless tinting
- Natural dyes
- What are tinting agents
- Tinted Balm
- Top tinting manufacturers
- Matrix Color Sync
- Color selection by hair type
- Blonde hair
- Dark hair
- Brown hair
- Red hair
- Highlighted hair
- What is needed for a home toning procedure
- Hair preparation for the procedure
- Step-by-step instructions for toning hair at home
- What problems can arise
- Tinted Hair Care
- Video clips: we tint hair at home
The principle of the tinting agent
The main difference between tinting and staining is the principle of action: the dye envelops the surface of the hairs without getting into the follicles. The pigment is not persistent, as a result of which the color does not last very long on the hair.
Traditional paints work due to ammonia, which opens the hair flakes and makes it possible for the dye to penetrate into them. In toning, the main role is played by the oxidizing agent, which is responsible for the superficial placement of pigment on the hair.
Types of tinting
There are several methods of tinting, which differ from each other in the degree of exposure to the hair and the time for which the achieved result is saved:
- Light toning: slightly changes the tone of the hair, giving it a healthy shine. To do this, use mousses and gels. The acquired color is washed off after washing the hair.
- Gentle tinting: ammonia-free dyes are used, the result can be enjoyed up to 4 weeks.
- Intensive tinting: very similar to ordinary dyeing, products with a small percentage of ammonia are used here.
How long does toning last
The rate of disappearance of tinting from hair depends on such factors:
- the tool that was used;
- hair features (their type and structure);
- initial shade of hair;
- used dye.
If light toning was done, then the result will completely disappear after 3-5 days, after washing your hair. A gentle option will allow you to enjoy color from 3 to 4 weeks, and intensive – more than 1.5 months.
You can extend the shade resistance as follows:
- use a special shampoo and balm for dyed hair during washing;
- be sure to use nutritious masks (not more than 1 time per week);
- dry hair without a hairdryer and use styling products less often.
Pros and cons of hair tinting
Toning hair at home, like other cosmetic procedures, has positive and negative sides.
Pros of tinting:
- a large selection of shades with which you can update boring hair color;
- the ability to change the appearance for a short time, to appreciate the new color and decide on radical changes;
- sparing composition of dyes, not causing significant harm to hair;
- a great way to enhance the natural shade;
- simplicity of independent use.
Cons of tinting:
- a radical change in appearance can not be achieved;
- the need to update the tone every 2-3 weeks;
- quick color wash with frequent shampooing;
- the inability to lighten your own hair color.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable hair colors this year. Photos and trends of hairdressing.
When is tinting not recommended
An important point: tinting is not recommended for hair that has recently undergone perm or radical lightening. Exposure to even a mild dye at this time can cause serious damage to the hair.
In addition, the effect of tinting agents on hair with traces of staining with henna and basma can lead to unpredictable results.
Toning without giving the hair any shade is called colorless. It is carried out in order to improve the appearance of the hair, strengthen its structure and give shine.
The procedure is carried out with substances that do not have ammonia in their composition. This is a kind of treatment that is indicated for such hair:
- strands that have undergone staining and become brittle and damaged;
- curls that have become dull and lifeless;
- naturally curly hair.
Colorless tinting can be done like this:
- wash your hair;
- make a mask that nourishes the hair, and leave it for half an hour;
- thoroughly rinse the hair and dry a little;
- dilute the substance that will be used for tinting;
- to withstand the set time and rinse;
- apply hair balm.
After such exposure, the hair does not change its color, however, it acquires elasticity, lightness and a mirror shine.
At home, hair tinting using natural dyes is often used. These include: onion husks, basma, chamomile, henna, saffron and black tea.
All these substances are not able to cause strands a single drop of harm, but they have a huge positive effect on the condition of the hair:
- hair follicles are strengthened;
- hair is fed along the entire length;
- a beautiful shine appears;
- hair loss is reduced.
Natural dyes can paint over gray hair well, especially with henna and basma. In addition, they stay on the hair for about 2 months.
What are tinting agents
You can tint your hair at home using a wide range of products: shampoos, sprays, mousses, gels and tonics. The main thing is to choose the substance that is suitable for a particular type of hair, will not cause difficulties with the application and will allow you to achieve your goal.
Shampoo refers to the means by which it is very easy to tint hair. It is applied to the strands while washing the hair. When choosing a remedy, one should be guided by the fact that cheap compositions are unlikely to bring much benefit to hair; it is better to purchase a professional series. Such a shampoo will achieve the desired shade and will not damage the hair.
Shampoo for toning allows you to slightly change the existing shade of hair:
- for blondes, purple or blue tones are suitable, which will help in the fight against yellowness;
- brunettes can use shades of plum, red and red;
- for brown-haired girls, red, brown and gold colors are an excellent choice.
When planning to tint your hair with shampoo, you need to remember about its varieties:
- Short-term – wash off within 1.5 – 2 weeks.
- Long-term – keep the color on the hair for up to 2-3 months.
Another way to seamlessly tint is to use a tint balm. The following advantages of its application can be noted:
- substances included in its composition envelop the hair with a pigment film, which protects it from the harmful effects of the environment;
- balm allows you to maintain the selected hair tone unchanged for several weeks;
- the strands will be additionally nourished and moistened;
- ease of use and no need to buy special products for colored hair;
- quite affordable cost.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Tinted types of paints differ from their resistant counterparts in the softness of their effect, due to the difference in the level of ammonia contained in them. Most often, its proportion is 0 or negligible, so such paints will not cause a harmful effect on curls.
Paints for tinting hair contain complexes:
The durability of this type of paint is low, not more than 2 months. This effect is caused by the fact that pigments do not penetrate deep into the hair, they simply envelop it from the outside. Therefore, it is not necessary to count on a radical change in appearance in this case.
The tinting foam has the same composition and type of effect as the tint balm. The difference is only in the ease of application: for someone it is easier to apply a liquid composition, someone chooses the ease of spraying the product on the hair. Squeeze the foam onto slightly damp hair and gently distribute along the entire length of the strands.
The shade on the hair after such toning lasts from 2 to 4 weeks.
At home, the spray is very convenient to use, which allows you to tint your hair safely and simply. In general, such sprays have a positive effect on the condition of curls:
Such an effect is provided by extracts from plants and vitamins included in their composition. Sprays perfectly help in painting overgrown roots or manifesting gray strands. Point exposure allows you to not affect all hair, and spray the product only where it is needed.
It is worth noting that shampooing affects the toning done by the spray, not in the best way. Therefore, there is a need for continuous updating of tinting.
Top tinting manufacturers
Cosmetic shops are full of products for home and professional hair tinting from different manufacturers. All of these compositions differ in the degree and quality of exposure, the presence of additional functions and cost.
Products of this brand, used for tinting, do not have ammonia in their composition and are classified as semi-permanent.
The main advantages of the manufacturer of Londa products:
- the presence of natural wax and keratin in the composition, which provide shine of curls;
- tinting with products of this series not only changes the color of the hair, but also smooths the scales of the strands, due to which their appearance changes;
- copes well with painting gray hair;
- refreshing natural color
Matrix Color Sync
This paint is used by professionals to achieve the most natural shade, it is used both to change their own color, and to correct already dyed hair.
- lack of exposure to the opened hair cuticle;
- richness of shades;
- the presence of ceramides in the coloring matter, which are able to restore those parts of the hair that are damaged;
- the possibility of painting gray strands;
- application for highlighted hair;
- allows you to even outgrown roots or improve staining done earlier.
The only drawback of the brand is the difficulty of its home use. Achieve the desired result is possible only when working with a professional in the cabin.
This manufacturer of cosmetic products is known throughout the world: products created by the company’s specialists are used both for permanent coloring and for tinting hair.
L’Oreal hair tinting products guarantee:
- the absence of ammonia harmful to the structure of the hair;
- the ability to use even for people with sensitive scalp;
- durability of the resulting shade;
- restoration of damaged areas of hair;
- general hair care.
The company offers several types of tinting agents:
- Dia Light: a delicate substance used for hair after perming. The composition allows not only to tone, but also to care for hair. The paint does not change its own color, but only shades it, saturating with brilliance.
- Dia Richesse: allows you to tint individual strands, lighten them in several tones.
- Brass Banisher: removes yellowness from hair after lightening or highlighting strands. It works for 5 minutes and allows you to create chic cool shades of blonde.
- Casting Creme Gloss: a gentle composition has made it possible to use this product even in pregnant and lactating women.
At home, you can use hair tinting products from ESTEL.
Advantages of tinting agents of the brand:
- richness of shades;
- exposure only to the outer layer of hair;
- washing for 8-9 hair washing procedures;
- complete staining of gray hair;
- ease of home use;
- the presence of sunscreens in the coloring matter;
- special tools to change the yellowed blond.
Color selection by hair type
The best option for choosing the right shade of hair is considered a method that is based on the type of hair and its natural shade.
Toning, taking into account these parameters, will not only lie on the hair correctly, but also is best suited for a woman.
Natural blondes can afford light toning. There are such options:
- a shade tonic chocolate, chestnut or caramel will allow you to change your own tone to a darker one;
- products with wheat, smoky or ashy flowers will help to achieve the effect of highlighted strands;
- the use of balms or shampoos of shades close to natural will allow you to refresh your own color or achieve the effect of burnt hair.
With dark hair, the situation is somewhat more difficult. You can try the following:
- use the product in a couple of darker tones and tint selected strands using balayazh or shuttle techniques;
- apply a tonic without color to give shine to the hair.
Brown hair varies in tones, on which the shade of tinting depends:
- cold tone: you can use a tonic with a touch of silver, ash, pearl, smoke or wheat;
- warm tone: the colors of honey, caramel, copper, mustard or golden walnut will fall well.
Red hair color is rather capricious, it is not easy to change it. Toning such curls can somewhat improve the natural color, make hair shiny and vibrant.
Owners of red hair can apply such shades:
- red copper;
- copper gold;
- the Red tree.
Gentle toning options allow you to remove the yellowness of the highlighted strands and give the whole hair a freshness. You need to choose a remedy for such a procedure, based on the type of hair and the color of the highlighted strands.
Toning of highlighted hair will not give a cardinal change in color, however, the shade can be changed even by strength at home.
What is needed for a home toning procedure
At home, you can quickly and accurately tint hair. For this procedure, you need such accessories:
- a tool suitable for toning a particular type of hair;
- protective rubber gloves;
- a tank for diluting (if necessary) the coloring composition;
- drape for the protection of clothing.
Hair preparation for the procedure
Hair tinting is a procedure that changes, albeit slightly, their shade. Effects on follicles exist in any case. It makes sense a week before the procedure to apply a nourishing mask to the hair in order to prepare the curls for exposure.
Immediately before tinting, you need to wash your hair (if indicated in the instructions for the tinting agent), protect your own hands, clothes. As well as the forehead and ears, for this you need to apply any oily face cream to the skin on the hairline.
Step-by-step instructions for toning hair at home
- Dry your hair with a towel and dry it.
- Dilute the product as indicated in the instructions (if necessary).
- Distribute the product on the hair with your fingers or hand.
- Comb the hair, carefully distributing the coloring matter over the entire surface.
- Put a hat on your hair to ensure full contact of the tint substance with the strands and limit the access of oxygen.
- To withstand the set time and wash the curls with clean running water.
- If saturated brightness is required, you can again apply the product on the hair and hold for 5 minutes.
- Use conditioner (if staining was carried out using a tint balm, this step is not required).
What problems can arise
Toning, like any coloring, is not without possible surprises:
- a difference of 3-4 tones between the natural shade and the coloring composition can lead to a complete lack of result;
- not every remedy can paint over gray hair, however, you can achieve the effect of highlighted hair, if you use light colors;
- lighten dark shades with tinting agents will not work;
- if there is a trace of hair staining with henna or basma, the result may be unpredictable.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Tinted Hair Care
After toning the hair, carried out at home, you need to carefully consider hair care:
- do not use a comb with hard bristles, it is better to use a comb made of natural materials, for example, wood;
- Do not comb wet hair immediately after washing;
- use a hairdryer, tongs and corrugation as little as possible;
- refuse to wash your hair daily (it is optimal to wash it once every 3-4 days);
- Do not tint earlier than 3-4 months after curling;
- be sure to use restoring masks.
It is easy to achieve an excellent effect from hair tinting that will delight your eyes daily. To do this, you need to choose the right shade, choose the right tool, follow all stages of toning and properly care for hair after the procedure.
Video clips: we tint hair at home
Hair tinting at home. How effective:
Hair tinting at home. Cheap and easy: