Neat eyebrows in a suitable color are an integral part of perfect makeup. Improper eyebrow design can destroy even the most thoughtful image. Pencil is one of the most versatile eyebrow makeup products.
- Types of Eyebrow Pencils
- Soft pencil
- Hard pencil
- Powdery or waxy
- Felt-tip pen
- Water resistant
- With brush
- With thread
- Criterias of choice
- How to choose a pencil shade
- Manufacturer: top best
- Christian dior
- Max factor
- Vivienne Szabo
- Luxury Pencils
- Review of the best luxury penc ils
- Mid-range cosmetics
- Budget cosmetics
- An overview of the best alternative eyebrow treatments
- Beautician tips for choosing eyebrow pencils
- Video about eyebrow pencils
Types of Eyebrow Pencils
Eyebrow pencil allows you to set the desired shape and color for eyebrows. Modern cosmetics manufacturers offer a wide range of products for eyebrow styling.
Various types of tools help to achieve the necessary effects of the application:
- felt-tip pen;
- water resistant;
- with a brush;
- with thread.
A soft-texture pencil stains skin and eyebrows. Its advantages are speed of application and rich color. The disadvantages include: the property of smearing, the effect of artificial eyebrows.
Solid eyebrow pencils are much more convenient. It does not stain the skin, so the makeup looks natural. A pencil with a solid core of the eyebrow is easier to model. One of the major drawbacks of a hard pencil is the risk of damage to the skin.
Powdery or waxy
Powder-based eyebrow pencil has a soft texture that provides uniform application. Powder pencils visually expand the eyebrows and increase their density, and also give them a shade that is closest to natural.
It is recommended to use pencils on a powder basis under low temperature conditions, since in warm weather they tend to spread. They do not differ in durability, so you will have to correct makeup more often.
A wax-based pencil helps to reliably fix hairs that are knocked out of the total mass and firmly fix the shape. Wax pencils are suitable mainly for correction of shape or a slight change in shade.
Stick eyebrow pencil is a compact product in compact packaging. Sticks contain an increased concentration of pigment, as well as a large number of caring and protective components. The use of pencils in sticks allows you to adjust the application intensity: from light correction to full eyebrow makeup.
Eyebrow gel allows you to simulate the shape of the eyebrows or lay them without gluing the hairs . The gel has a light consistency, does not stick. Using this type of product, you can get the most natural eyebrow makeup with a slight shine. Unlike wax, the gel is hypoallergenic and more resistant to sunlight.
Highlighter is a product with which you can achieve radiant skin and visually make your eyes more open.
The highlighter is applied under the highest point of the eyebrow , due to which the effect of light shining of a lighter area under the eyebrow is achieved. The tool helps to get a clear outline, as well as emphasize the color of the eyes.
A liquid-based eyebrow pencil is the perfect solution for owners of dry skin. Due to the content of polymers that dry quickly, a moisture-repellent moisturizing film forms on the skin.
Eyebrow dye is used to change their color for a longer period.
The advantages of using this tool are:
- Durability. Eyebrow dye is moisture resistant and lasts relatively long.
- No need to apply eyebrow makeup daily.
- Filling the voids. Using paint, you can adjust individual sections of the eyebrows where there are no hairs or they are not enough to give the necessary shape.
Of the most significant shortcomings:
- The persistence of this method can be a problem if the staining result does not live up to expectations. For the withdrawal of funds, the use of a special composition will be required, which will negatively affect the quality of the hairs.
- Mud. The paint leaves marks on the skin, which are difficult to get rid of. The use of gloves during the procedure is not always convenient, so it is almost impossible not to get dirty when staining eyebrows.
- Individual intolerance . To avoid the occurrence of allergic reactions, a tolerance test of the paint components should be carried out before use according to the instructions on the package.
This type of eyebrow makeup really has a lot in common with a felt-tip pen: a plastic case, a felt tip.
Its main advantages include:
- Convenience. The felt-tip pen does not require the use of additional tools for application, as well as sharpening.
- Universality. You can change the thickness and intensity of the line.
- Practicality. The felt-tip pen does not spread and dries quickly.
Of the minuses, it can be noted:
- Fragility. Markers dry out relatively quickly and become unusable.
- Related to the previous paragraph is another drawback that users note: the inability to predict when the marker will end. In this regard, it becomes necessary to have a spare tool with you.
- Limitedness. The variety of colors, as well as the presence of the product in the lines of various brands is inferior to other means, for example, pencils.
The automatic pencil is equipped with a special mechanism by which the rod is twisted and returned to its original position. This property helps protect the product during transportation.
The advantage of a double-sided pencil is the ability to use 1 of 2 shades to choose from.
Often the 2nd color is a highlighter, which allows you to combine 2 funds in 1.
A waterproof pencil is resistant to moisture due to its water-repellent components. Such a pencil is perfect for travel and sports.
The fixing pencil sets the direction for the naughty hairs and permanently fixes the shape . By its purpose, it is similar to a wax pencil, but unlike it, it is available in a transparent color, so it is recommended to use additional funds for staining in combination with it.
Many manufacturers produce pe
ncils with a brush. It is used not only for combing, but also for shading.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable hair colors this year. Photos and trends of hairdressing.
A pencil with a thread allows you to draw a line, and then get rid of excess hair with a thread.
Criterias of choice
First of all, it is necessary to determine what type to give preference: by design, pencils are divided into mechanical or wooden. Mechanical ones are convenient to use, since they do not need sharpening, but they are not suitable for drawing thin lines and are spent uneconomically.
Wooden pencils need to be sharpened from time to time, but they are enough for a longer period. In addition, a finely sharpened pencil will allow you to create a perfectly clear outline that requires jewelry accuracy.
Another important criterion is hardness. Hard pencils perfectly contour and provide a natural look. The result of using soft pencils is an excessively bright color that looks unnatural.
How to choose a pencil shade
The shade of the eyebrow pencil is selected in accordance with the skin tone. Allowed difference is 1-2 tones. Otherwise, it will be noticeable that they “drew.”
Saturated gray or brown tones are suitable for fair-skinned brunettes, for owners of dark skin – only black. Brown-haired women should pay attention to chocolate, nutty shades. Red-haired women are recommended to choose warm copper, chestnut tones.
Blondes are best to choose a shade that is slightly darker than the color of the hair in order to avoid the effect of “drawn” eyebrows. At the disposal of blonde girls there is a wide selection from beige to ash brown tones. Gray-brown shades are best in harmony with gray hair.
Manufacturer: top best
|Manufacturer||Average cost, usd.|
The Christian Dior brand presents powder, automatic pencils, tint, mascara, as well as sets.
The composition of the eyebrow palette Dior Backstage includes:
- 2 ultra-fine powders;
- waterproof wax.
The All-In-Brow 3D Kit contains:
- 2 shades of shadows;
- waterproof wax;
- 3 expert applicators.
Givenchy offers EyeBrow Pencil and EyeBrow Show powder pencils, Eyebrow Couture Definer cream-based pencils, as well as Givenchy Mister Brow Filler.
Maybelline products help focus on specific effects:
- The cream-based pencil stick Brow Drama Pomade paints and fixes.
- Satin powder pencils are suitable for easy blending.
- For fixing eyebrows – wax Master Shape,
- To increase the density – mechanical Precise.
The range of Max Factor products includes powder and automatic pencils, a gel-fixer, as well as a palette of shadows.
Rimmel products have a rich assortment:
- Powder pencil.
- Fiber pencil.
- Set for eyebrows (eye shadow, wax, brush and brush).
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob haircut for medium hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Products from Vivienne Sabo:
- Powder pencil.
- Automatic pencil.
- Gel (color, transparent).
- The shadows.
Essence offers the following products:
- Powder pencil.
- Mascara gel.
The range of the budget Kiki brand includes a powder pencil with a brush in 7 shades, mascara and eye shadow.
The fundamental difference between luxury pencils and “simple” pencils is in their quality. At first glance, they have a similar composition, but in the production of premium pencils, high quality raw materials are used, which undergoes high-quality processing. From an aesthetic point of view, the design of luxury pencils also wins, compared with the external design of budget counterparts.
Review of the best luxury penc
Yves Saint Laurent Dessin Des Sourcils is one of the best in the premium segment.
1. Coconut oil is included in the product formula to nourish and color the hair, giving the eyebrows a well-groomed appearance.
- Rich palette.
- The ability to get shades of different saturation by varying the pressure intensity.
- The presence of a brush.
- Lumps may appear when applying several layers.
- Uneconomical consumption.
2. Givenchy Eyebrow Pencil Sourcil is precisely applied and provides clear contours. A medium hard lead contributes to the formation of a matte finish.
3. Dior Powder Eyebrow Pencil provides the optimal balance between sharp lines and smooth application. Thanks to the delicate powdery texture, the pencil instantly fills the eyebrows. The kit includes a brush and a sharpener.
- Smooth, uniform application.
- Moisture resistant.
- Quality staining and modeling.
Minus – a poor choice of shades (especially light tones).
4. Guerlain Le Crayon Sourcils 01 Brun Ideal – a pencil in a single shade that adapts to any color of eyebrows.
- Rather stiff lead, which allows you to define clear lines.
- Thanks to its solid texture, the risk of erring with application intensity is minimized. A pencil will be an indispensable find for beginners.
- Natural color.
- The only shade.
- Need to sharpen often.
- For saturated color, it requires increased pressure.
1. Maybelline Brow Drama – a pencil with a velvet texture in a stick. The product is easy to apply, has a rich color. The pencil is suitable for owners of thick eyebrows of dark shades, because it has a thick shaft, which makes it impossible to draw thin lines.
- Convenience of application.
- Natural shades.
- After several uses, the tip is erased, which is why you have to use a brush.
- Not suitable for creating thin lines.
- Small volume.
2. NYX Eyebrow Powder Pencil with a thin stylus allows you to draw the finest lines, a powdery structure provides a soft and natural coating.
- Beautiful, rich shade.
Minus – it is difficult to shade.
3. Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil – a pencil with a brush that gives the eyebrows a lasting and natural shade. Qualitatively fills the voids, increases the density. Presented in a fairly wide range of colors.
- Natural color.
- Visually tightens the eyebrow line.
- May spread on oily skin.
- Crumbling during grinding is possible.
4. Max Factor Eyebrow Pencil – resistant pencil with a satin texture. Matte base provides the most natural effect. The product is economical to use.
- The combination of softness and durability.
- Economical expense.
- Matte texture.
Minus – limited palette: 2 colors.
1. Kiki Browliner – one of the highest quality pencils in the budget price category. Easy to apply and blend. Thanks to the wax content, the pencil fixes the shape of the eyebrows.
- Muted, natural shade.
- Brush shape. She not only “combes” the eyebrows, but also visually gives them density and volume.
- Form fixation.
Minus is an uneconomical expense.
2. Essence Eyebrow Designer – medium hard pencil for a natural finish. Moderately dry consistency allows you to harmoniously fill the voids. At the same time, the pencil is quite soft and does not injure the skin.
- Easy application.
- Natural shade.
Minus – crumbles when sharpening.
3. Vivienne Sabo Coup De Genie is another budget solution from the popular French brand. Contains vitamins and oils. Easy to apply and shade, not lubricated.
- Clarity and evenness of application.
- Natural look.
Minus – shiny particles in the composition.
4. Bourjois Sourcil Precision has a dense but delicate texture for smooth application. It has high resistance.
Minus – a red tint may appear.
Eyebrow pencil is not the only makeup tool. Contours can also be made with shadows, mascara, gel or wax. Mascara does not fix, but only stains. Shadows look more harmonious. The main purpose of the gel or wax is to fix the hairs and give them the necessary shape.
An overview of the best alternative eyebrow treatments
1. Pupa Eyebrow Design Set is a set that includes shadows, wax and application tools. Shadows have a delicate texture, and wax is non-greasy and non-sticky. They blend perfectly, allowing you to dye your eyebrows and fix their shape. The average cost is $ 8,84.
Minus – the appearance of a red tint is possible.
2. Artdeco Eye Brow Powder – eyebrow powder with a velvet texture and rich pigment. The powder lays well, fills the gaps with quality. Suitable for oily skin. The average cost is $ 4,08.
- Compact size.
Minus – the lack of a brush in the kit.
3. Eyebrow pencil Eva Mosaic Eyebrow stylist WAX – a waxy shade product. Helps fix the shape of eyebrows and emphasize their natural color. The average cost is $ 3,4.
Minus – uneven application. For the distribution of funds, it is necessary to carefully work with a brush, due to the harsh bristles of which spaces are created.
4. NYX Waterproof Eyebrow Gel – waterproof eyebrow gel. The tool is highly resistant. The gel allows you to “draw” the shape and color of the eyebrows, and emphasize the natural data. The average cost is $ 7,48.
- The ability to adjust the intensity of the shade.
- Durability. The gel lasts on the skin for up to 3 days. You can remove the product with any product for removing waterproof makeup.
- Probability to overdo it with quantity.
Do not miss the most popular article in the rubric:
Fashionable bob cut for short hair. Photo, front and rear view.
Beautician tips for choosing eyebrow pencils
In addition to the general rules for choosing a shade of an eyebrow pencil according to the color of your hair, cosmetologists recommend that you follow these tips:
- To achieve the most natural eyebrow makeup, it is recommended to use a finely sharpened hard pencil.
- Do not draw a solid line. First you need to outline the contour of the future eyebrow, then fill it.
- In order to prevent the pencil from crumbling while sharpening or to increase its hardness, the pencil should be placed for several hours in the freezer.
- For the effect of natural eyebrows, you should use a brush for blending.
- The correct choice of shade for eyebrow pencil is determined in daylight.
- The pencil should go well. In order to verify this, you need to hold them on the arm. The line should be continuous, uniform, without lumps.
- If the pencil is too bright, it is recommended to comb the eyebrows, so they will look paler.
- Excessively bright dark shades that make the look unnatural should be avoided.
- Matte shades are suitable for daytime makeup. The composition should not have a shimmer, since it creates a shine that is appropriate for evening makeup.
How to use a pencil:
- Brush up eyebrows.
- Combing eyebrows, giving them shape.
- Draw the bottom border. Start from the base of the eyebrow to get a smoother line.
- Draw the top border.
- Fill the space between the upper and lower boundaries with light movements, without pressing on the pencil.
- The main part of the eyebrow should be darker than the tip.
- Paint over the voids of the main part of the eyebrow.
- Feather with a brush to blur clear lines of color transition and achieve a natural effect.
- It is advisable to use highlighter or white shadows. Highlighter is applied under the highest point of the eyebrow. This technique helps visually raise your eyebrow and open your eyes.
- Fix the shape of the eyebrows with a fixative.
The main criteria for successful application of an eyebrow pencil is the clarity of lines and naturalness. The optimal tool for eyebrow shaping is selected taking into account individual characteristics and preferences by testing various options. The ideal product is invisible on the eyebrows, emphasizes their natural shape and color, does not create the effect of “drawn” eyebrows.
Video about eyebrow pencils
How to color eyebrows with a pencil: