Azelaic acid is a unique component used as the basis for the preparation of many cosmetic preparations. This is one of the common means of dealing with changes in skin color, inflammation and acne. The use of acid helps to give the skin a healthy, natural look.
- What is azelaic acid
- The properties
- Indications for use
- Contraindications and side effects
- Application in cosmetology
- Against acne and demodicosis
- Rosacea and pigmentation
- Instructions for use azelaic acid
- Features of use during pregnancy and lactation
- Preparations with azelaic acid
- Acne Stop
- How to make a cream yourself
- Useful videos about azelaic acid and its preparations
What is azelaic acid
Azelaic acid, the preparations based on which are successfully used to eliminate skin defects, is one of the carboxylic acids. A certain amount of this substance is also formed in the human body during lipid metabolism. For the needs of the pharmaceutical industry, this substance is obtained as a result of industrial processing of cereals: wheat, barley and rye.
The popularity of azelaic acid is due to its beneficial properties.
Among them stand out:
- anti-inflammatory. The therapeutic agent has a calming effect on the skin, removes inflammation and redness;
- antibacterial. The tool actively fights against microorganisms that cause acne and other skin defects;
- smoothing. The surface layers of the epidermis are polished, the skin is leveled;
- whitening. The tool prevents the appearance of melanin, contributes to the improvement of complexion, lightening age spots and scars from rashes;
- oxygenated. Oxygen is delivered to the cells of the dermis, which activates the metabolic processes. Pores are little polluted, the development of acne is reduced.
Indications for use
Azelaic acid, preparations made on the basis of this substance, are used to treat a wide variety of skin defects.
- acne – blockage of the sebaceous glands;
- enhanced pigmentation;
- rosacea – a chronic dermatological pathology of the skin, in which pustular and other rashes are present;
- acne, other rashes;
- demodecosis is a pathology caused by tick activity.
Contraindications and side effects
In some rare cases of acid use, side effects are observed.
The most common of them are:
- slight redness of the skin;
- feeling of numbness;
- flushing and peeling of the skin;
- temporary increase in sensitivity;
- mild itching;
- tingling or tingling.
- excessive sensitivity to the constituent elements of the product;
- children under 12 years old.
With caution is assigned:
- during pregnancy;
- during lactation.
Application in cosmetology
Preparations made on the basis of azelaic acid have become a common therapeutic agent for various skin diseases.
Against acne and demodicosis
Acid affects the skin in several ways:
- First of all, it destroys propionic bacteria that cause acne. When applied, the pores are kept clean, which is a prerequisite for the methodical elimination of acne and prevention of their secondary detection.
- The drug has a comedolytic property, that is, it reduces the number of comedones or blocks pores.
- The use of acid helps to effectively eliminate old skin cells in a natural way of exfoliating.
- With the help of cream or ointment, Skinoren Gel, the main element of which is azelaic acid, is the treatment of demadecosis. At the same time, long-term complex therapy is required.
Rosacea and pigmentation
Azelaic acid in various cosmetic forms reliably cures rosacea at all stages of the development of the disease.
Such a drug has the following properties:
Once in the layers of the epidermis, the acid activates the release of a number of free fatty acids – inflammation provocateurs, and also helps to reduce the production of melanin. The same treatment is carried out for hyperpigmentation. The cream brightens problem areas of the skin and prevents their further spread.
Azelaic peeling is a method of superficial, painless effect on the skin.
Apply it in cases:
- rosacea (spider veins);
- rosacea (non-infectious chronic inflammation);
- folliculitis (inflammatory lesions of the hair follicles);
- smoothing small wrinkles;
- hyperpigmentation. In this case, the outer layer of the skin is removed. Peeling bleaches pigmented spots, and the skin takes on a uniform shade.
This method is easy to use, almost devoid of restrictions and side effects.
As a method for rejuvenating the skin of the face, it is allowed to be used at almost any age. The greatest effect of the application of the procedure is achieved in cases when it is performed by a professional cosmetologist. Home cleansing does not guarantee maximum results, but the effect will be. In addition to this, the development of side effects and complications is possible.
Instructions for use azelaic acid
Azelaic acid is used according to the instructions for use.
The basic requirements are that:
- dosage and duration of therapy are determined individually;
- before the procedure, the treated surface is cleaned and dried thoroughly;
- cream or gel is smeared with a thin layer and gently rubbed with your fingertips;
- it is prescribed to process the skin twice: in the morning and evening hours;
- if irritation during treatment does not stop, the frequency of applying the drug per day should be reduced to once or completely abandon therapy with azelaic products;
- the cream should not get on the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, lips, and also in the eyes;
- for the whole face no more than 2. 2 inch of cream is required.
Features of use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and subsequent feeding of the baby, preparations with acid can be used provided that the benefits of treating the mother outweigh the risk to the fetus or the baby being born. Before using the tool, you need to consult your doctor. In any case, use acid and its derivatives with caution.
Preparations with azelaic acid
Brown spots and acne are traditionally treated with drugs containing acid. In such cosmetics, azelaic acid is most often used as the main substance. Its content in these products is minimal, but the skin is provided with vitamins and health for a long time.
The composition of this cream is based on the bacteriostatic effect against acne. Continuous use reduces the production of fatty acids that cause acne. The ap
pearance of comedones is sharply reduced. During the action of the cream on the keratinization of epidermal cells, the growth and activity of melanocytes responsible for hyperpigmentation slows down.
Acid smoothes the surface of the skin, brightens. There are no traces of exposure after treatment. The cream should be applied to a previously cleaned surface.
For this purpose, one of the cleansing cosmetics is first applied to the face, then it is removed with a towel. Acne is noticeably reduced after 4 weeks of use. Uneven relief, fresh scars and scars are being corrected. The maximum result is achieved after 2-3 months of using the cream.
The main dosage form of the drug is a 20% topical cream. Contains the active element – azelaic acid and binders. It is made for local elimination of acne and pathological hyperpigmentation.
The drug is characterized by an antimicrobial effect against bacteria that cause acne, not only on the external area of the skin, but also in the sebaceous glands. In parallel, there is an anti-inflammatory effect on defective skin.
The skin marked with acne is cleaned and dried. The cream is recommended to be applied with a thin layer on the face, neck and, if necessary, on the upper chest area. Subsequent cleaning of the skin from impurities is carried out using water and a mild cleanser.
The cream should be used regularly 2 times a day, at least 1 month. In case of irritation, the dose of the cream must be reduced or applied 1 time per day. Temporary cancellation of therapy and its resumption after irritation disappears are allowed.
Azelaic acid in the composition of the drug in question has antibacterial properties, has an anti-inflammatory effect, and eliminates skin edema and irritation. It has a keratolytic effect, that is, it removes dead skin cells.
Unlike other analogues, the skin sclera acts not only in the outer layers of the skin, but also in the depths of the epidermis, in the ducts of the sebaceous glands. The maximum result from using the cream is observed 2-3 months after the start of treatment. It is not a hormonal drug, does not affect the metabolism. Cream is allowed to be used already from adolescence.
The multifaceted therapeutic activity of the Skinoren gel based on azelaic acid allows us to attribute it to antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and keratoregulatory agents.
Indications for use:
- skin acne (acne and acne);
- prevention and treatment of foci of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that appears after acne healing.
The course of treatment is designed for 3 months, but improvement occurs after 3-4 weeks of using the drug. It should be consumed 2 times a day (morning and evening). Before applying, wash your face and towel dry. To eliminate acne and blackheads, the gel is targetedly applied 2 times a day with a thin layer, and then rubbed a little.
A cream of the same name is also on sale, which includes a little more azelaic acid than gel (20% versus 15%).
It is suitable for people with dry and normal skin, while the gel is suitable for patients with oily dermis. Since the active components have a slight absorption, the product does not have any contraindications for women during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Acne Stop is a topical drug used to normalize painful changes in the epidermis (acne) and hyperpigmentation of benign skin (melasma). The therapeutic effect of the cream is based on the properties of its main ingredient – azelaic acid.
In addition to it, the formers and additional components are included in the content: glycerin, benzoic acid, octyldodecanol, propylene glycol and some others. The drug is applied topically. To do this, you first need to clean the skin, dry and apply the cream with soft rubbing movements.
For the greatest result, its continuous use is recommended. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor and depends on the specific characteristics of the body. The drug is characterized by certain side effects that patients should be aware of.
|The organs and systems of the body||Adverse events|
|Immunity||Symptoms of hypersensitivity are observed.|
|Respiratory system||In patients with bronchial asthma, exacerbations of this disease are possible|
If the listed or other adverse effects appear during the treatment with Acne Stop, you should immediately inform your doctor.
A skin defect such as acne is effectively treated with Azogel, whose active element is azelaic acid. In addition to it, there are auxiliary substances, such as dimethicone, carbomer interpolymer and others. The medicine eliminates the risk factors for acne, and not just the manifestations.
It has an antiseptic effect. The antibacterial effect is on the bacteria that cause acne. It also reduces the formation of dead skin cells of the dermis, due to which black dots appear. The drug softens the skin and relieves irritation. The effectiveness of the cream is high even with long treatment.
Among the recommendations for the use of the drug is the treatment of papulopustular forms of acne or rosacea. The tool should treat problem areas 2 times a day. Visually, improvement is usually noticeable after 4 weeks.
If the use of a therapeutic drug causes irritation, the volume of the gel or the number of applications must be reduced. In case of special need, it is recommended to suspend the treatment process for several days. Azogel gel should be used continuously throughout the duration of treatment
Acnestop with the content of azelaic acid practically has a rejuvenating effect. The tool is successfully used to combat bacteria, new sudden formations of acne.
In addition to acid, the basis of the medicine is:
- other effective means.
The drug has not only external but also internal effects, that is, it heals not only the effect, but also the causes of acne. Using the drug slows down the synthesis of fatty acids, which are the direct cause of acne.
Acnestop normalizes processes in the follicular ducts, leaches unfavorable microorganisms. The duration of treatment is determined by the individual characteristics of the patient’s body. The minimum treatment period is 4 weeks, and in the case of melasma – 3 months.
How to make a cream yourself
Preparations with the presence of therapeutic acid are available over-the-counter in pharmacies in the form of cream, gel, powder. However, the cream is easy to prepare at home. It will cost less, and there will be no concern that you bought a fake product.
To get the cream you need to prepare in advance:
- powdered azelaic acid;
- microlil. A special preservative that extends the shelf life of the finished cream;
- jojoba oil. If necessary, it is allowed to replace it with olive or rosemary;
The procedure for preparing the ointment is as follows:
- In 0,56 fluid ounce of water add 1.5 mg of azelaic acid, mix thoroughly. To do this, clean glassware should be used. Since the acid is very poorly soluble in water, stir vigorously, whipping the composition.
- After the final dilution of the acid, 0,05 fluid ounce of sucrose is introduced. Everything is mixed again.
- In a second glass vessel, 0,24 fluid ounce of oil is poured, and both dishes are heated in a water bath.
- After dissolution of sucrose, the contents of both mixtures are mixed until a homogeneous state is obtained.
- Finally, you need to add a drop of microlil.
Self-made azelaic cream is ready. The drug can be used daily. After 1-2 months, it will be possible to observe a positive result of therapeutic acid – acne and black spots will quickly disappear.
Posted by: Georgich (gorec49)
Useful videos about azelaic acid and its preparations
Azelaic acid against rosacea:
The mechanism of action of azelaic acid: